Jump to topic:

Literal meaning of I Kings 2: 42

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 5:25:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I will give the disputed portion of the passage from several different versions:

"Know for certain that on the day you go out and go to any place whatever, you shall die" (ESV)

"Know for a certain, on the day thou goest out, and walkest abroad any whither, that thou shalt surely die?" (KJV)

"Know for certain, that on the day thou goest out, and walkest abroad any whither, thou shalt surely die" (ASV)

"Know for certain, that on the day thou goest forth, and walkest abroad anywhere, thou shalt surely die?" (Darby)

The reason for asking is that other than the emphatic "know for sure" or "know for certain", the passage seem to me to parallel to Gen 2: 17:

"for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die" (NASB)
"for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (KJV)

Does the passage in I Kings LITERALLY state that on the day that the servant crosses the Kidron (goeth out), he would

(1) surely die, or that he would
(2) gain the knowledge that he would die at some point in the future?

I'm not talking about what actually happened when he really did cross the Kidron. I'm not talking about any Jewish idioms that may be been employed. I mean, "What does the passage literally mean?"

I've already given my thoughts elsewhere, because it seems pretty plain to me. Beastt has given a totally different grammatical analysis and assured me that I am wrong. So I'm asking for input other than mine or his.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 7:55:35 PM
What does it matter? The original phraseology was a lie and thus worthless as probably is the Kings' copyist's copycat. Did Adam die in the day he and Eve ate of the apple? Nope. Most believers stop there in the Bible story and don't factor in Adam's reported death at age 960 years, what's that times 365? Some "in the day you shall surely die" threat..

Oh, God meant Adam would have lived forever...yeah, and the Garden would never exist either as each species filled the planet, the solar system, the galaxy, the universe, with undying beings..get a grip! These are political fantasies using religious language to get political points across. Don't cross Yahweh or else!

What else is new....

Chuck the ruse and get to the Source, Celestial Torah Christianity. The Bible is toast as spiritual authority because the writers lied and the priests told people to believe the lies. And you do. Time to wake up and stop the ruse. The star system is ancient and no one can touch it now so it's pure of earthly contamination of meanings. I teach Celestial Torah Christianity to all who want to see how God has embedded the Celestial Torah code within Bible Scriptures to be decoded in our New Age, the right one for the Spirit of Christ as you will discover in the Celestial Torah.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 8:20:12 PM
Well, I didn't know if Saint Brad of Schitzoville, BioMystic the stargazer, or SkyAngel the Space Cadet would be the first to gush forth a worthless post - but I guess I got my answer.

If any theist or atheist would care to post an intelligent reply, even if I disagree with it, please do so.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 8:34:27 PM
Our resident little jealous woman posts her rage at my spiritual leadership she will never have. I caught her and hoisted her on her own petard and she will never let it pass now in her scorned woman rage: It was easy to do as she pretends to science background to deliver her plain old traditional Pauline Christian beliefs as if she was some kind of authority but the real science authorities she can't handle, the archeologists like Israel Finkelstein and historian Neil Silberman whose work has proven the writers of the Bible told big fibs about themselves and the world believes only because of power politics stopping the flow of real historical information. So taking away the game board of Bible verses takes away the gamesmanship games our jealous woman likes to play. Can't have that so the scientists are out and ridiculing Authentic documented spiritual events is our jealous woman's come-back for her shallow beliefs and opinions being scorned.
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 8:36:14 PM
At 7/13/2014 8:34:27 PM, skinker wrote:
Our resident little jealous woman posts her rage at my spiritual leadership she will never have. I caught her and hoisted her on her own petard and she will never let it pass now in her scorned woman rage: It was easy to do as she pretends to science background to deliver her plain old traditional Pauline Christian beliefs as if she was some kind of authority but the real science authorities she can't handle, the archeologists like Israel Finkelstein and historian Neil Silberman whose work has proven the writers of the Bible told big fibs about themselves and the world believes only because of power politics stopping the flow of real historical information. So taking away the game board of Bible verses takes away the gamesmanship games our jealous woman likes to play. Can't have that so the scientists are out and ridiculing Authentic documented spiritual events is our jealous woman's come-back for her shallow beliefs and opinions being scorned.

Just go bite a pillow, anna, and get it out of your system.
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 8:44:05 PM
This is why discussing verses of the O.T. is fruitless if you don't go back farther in time to their Sources where the real spiritual goods were originally located. Judaism won't get you there until you learn the Celestial Torah coding that Judaism tried to hide but God was smarter than the old priests and scribes and knew a day would come when the Celestial Torah code would be decifered. And that day has come in our times.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 9:25:20 PM
.... and one of our resident loons who envisions himself as some sort of "spiritual leader" continues the rant, and imagines someone is "jealous" of what doesn't even exist. Heck, I might as well be "jealous" of you being a millionaire!

You're just another lunatic who thinks he's stumbled across a new religion, or that you have a special "spiritual awareness", or a "new understanding." In that respect, you aren't much different than SkyAngel or Saint Brad - and all such folks have one thing in common: they have to first destroy confidence in the Bible. They generally claim some sort of "special connection" with God, either through visions, voices, or something. The best thing to do is write them off.
heisnotrisen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 11:28:15 PM
At 7/13/2014 8:20:12 PM, annanicole wrote:
Well, I didn't know if Saint Brad of Schitzoville, BioMystic the stargazer, or SkyAngel the Space Cadet would be the first to gush forth a worthless post - but I guess I got my answer.

If any theist or atheist would care to post an intelligent reply, even if I disagree with it, please do so.

You don't need to be intelligent to discern that the bible is a load of crap. Useless and profoundly boring additionally.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 12:29:03 AM
At 7/13/2014 5:25:03 PM, annanicole wrote:
I will give the disputed portion of the passage from several different versions:

"Know for certain that on the day you go out and go to any place whatever, you shall die" (ESV)

"Know for a certain, on the day thou goest out, and walkest abroad any whither, that thou shalt surely die?" (KJV)

"Know for certain, that on the day thou goest out, and walkest abroad any whither, thou shalt surely die" (ASV)

"Know for certain, that on the day thou goest forth, and walkest abroad anywhere, thou shalt surely die?" (Darby)

The reason for asking is that other than the emphatic "know for sure" or "know for certain", the passage seem to me to parallel to Gen 2: 17:

"for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die" (NASB)
"for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (KJV)

Does the passage in I Kings LITERALLY state that on the day that the servant crosses the Kidron (goeth out), he would

I'm not talking about what actually happened when he really did cross the Kidron. I'm not talking about any Jewish idioms that may be been employed. I mean, "What does the passage literally mean?"

I've already given my thoughts elsewhere, because it seems pretty plain to me. Beastt has given a totally different grammatical analysis and assured me that I am wrong. So I'm asking for input other than mine or his.

Those of you who dwell on the flesh of man will never understand the Truth.

The earth is used by God to kill ALL flesh during this age. The flood killed many of God's people in the flesh but the day of the Lord will kill the rest of the flesh.

Genesis 6
12: And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth.
13: And God said to Noah, "I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for the earth is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

17: For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall die.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 6:55:26 AM
At 7/13/2014 11:28:15 PM, heisnotrisen wrote:

You don't need to be intelligent to discern that the bible is a load of crap. Useless and profoundly boring additionally.

... anddddd moronic entry #2 comes from the atheist side
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 7:06:42 AM
At 7/14/2014 12:29:03 AM, bornofgod wrote:
I will destroy them with the earth.
The earth, according to the Story book you quote for your support refutes you!

[One] generation passeth away, and [another] generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever. (Eccl. 1:4) KJV story book

Never mind, 6 months and your earthly psychosis and lies will be at an end!

Counting the days with you before you make your Story book god happy!
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 8:10:44 AM
At 7/13/2014 7:55:35 PM, skinker wrote:
What does it matter? The original phraseology was a lie and thus worthless as probably is the Kings' copyist's copycat. Did Adam die in the day he and Eve ate of the apple? Nope. Most believers stop there in the Bible story and don't factor in Adam's reported death at age 960 years, what's that times 365? Some "in the day you shall surely die" threat..

Oh, God meant Adam would have lived forever...yeah, and the Garden would never exist either as each species filled the planet, the solar system, the galaxy, the universe, with undying beings..get a grip! These are political fantasies using religious language to get political points across. Don't cross Yahweh or else!

What else is new....

Chuck the ruse and get to the Source, Celestial Torah Christianity. The Bible is toast as spiritual authority because the writers lied and the priests told people to believe the lies. And you do. Time to wake up and stop the ruse. The star system is ancient and no one can touch it now so it's pure of earthly contamination of meanings. I teach Celestial Torah Christianity to all who want to see how God has embedded the Celestial Torah code within Bible Scriptures to be decoded in our New Age, the right one for the Spirit of Christ as you will discover in the Celestial Torah.

You're a very strange person, it's hard to listen to anything you say with your condescending attitude. Now what the crap is "Celestial Torah Christianity"?
I'm not familiar with any form of "Christianity" that rejects scripture, so what's the deal?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 8:47:28 AM
At 7/14/2014 8:10:44 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

What else is new....

You're a very strange person, it's hard to listen to anything you say with your condescending attitude. Now what the crap is "Celestial Torah Christianity"?

It's something he made up! It's a hapless mish-mash of astrology, mysticism, gnosticism, with faith elements of Judaism and Christianity. He deems himself a "spiritual leader", and everyone who disagrees with him is just "angry" and "persecutes him" with ridicule, libel and slander. If you do not believe me, just type "Biomystic slander" in a Google search, and look at all the different forums in which his behavior is exactly the same.

I'm not familiar with any form of "Christianity" that rejects scripture, so what's the deal?

It's not a form of Christianity at all, but heck, when someone is just making up names, I guess they can do what they want. To question him will be to "slander" him ... LOL. He bases half of his stuff on supposed "visions" that he has had. Some of it comes from his examinations of the stars.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 8:48:07 AM
That should read "faint elements", not "faith elements".
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 8:49:19 AM

What else is new....

Why is being fed up with Abrahamic religious warfare "very strange"? You see what our latest Abrahamic religious zealots are doing in Gaza? This goes on forever unless we speak up against it. I speak up against it on spiritual basis which are the Source of my humanitarian concern. I won't bow to Abrahamic trash theology, plain and simple. As for your not being familiar with any form of Christianity that rejects scripture, there I can't help you because you need to educate yourself about Christianity as you don't seem to know it very well. For instance not knowing that there was a very strong Gnostic Christian movement that went for centuries and almost elected a Pope to office. Gnostic Christianity came in many "flavors" and most all of them rejected Bible scriptures as products of believing in a lower Maker god instead of the higher Sources, Wisdom of God and God Itself.

Celestial Torah Christianity is "gnostic" in the sense it relies on knowledge to teach believers where to look for Signs of God and the Messiah coming through the Son of God, Anointed One and what it all means for humanity. But Celestial Torah Christianity isn't of the old school Gnostic sects. It is the world's oldest religious consciousness and goes all the way back 35,000 years in religious iconic human consciousness.
skinker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 8:50:32 AM
At 7/14/2014 8:49:19 AM, skinker wrote:

What else is new....

Why is being fed up with Abrahamic religious warfare "very strange"? You see what our latest Abrahamic religious zealots are doing in Gaza? This goes on forever unless we speak up against it. I speak up against it on spiritual basis which are the Source of my humanitarian concern. I won't bow to Abrahamic trash theology, plain and simple. As for your not being familiar with any form of Christianity that rejects scripture, there I can't help you because you need to educate yourself about Christianity as you don't seem to know it very well. For instance not knowing that there was a very strong Gnostic Christian movement that went for centuries and almost elected a Pope to office. Gnostic Christianity came in many "flavors" and most all of them rejected Bible scriptures as products of believing in a lower Maker god instead of the higher Sources, Wisdom of God and God Itself.

Celestial Torah Christianity is "gnostic" in the sense it relies on knowledge to teach believers where to look for Signs of God and the Messiah coming through the Son of God, Anointed One and what it all means for humanity. But Celestial Torah Christianity isn't of the old school Gnostic sects. It is the world's oldest religious consciousness and goes all the way back 35,000 years in religious iconic human consciousness.

Celestial Torah Christianity at: http://biomystic.org...
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 9:24:09 AM

What else is new....

No, YOU are strange, I haven't even got to your beliefs yet. I wasn't referring to your views at all but the way you approach people and your condescending attitude doesn't seem very appealing, especially for someone who want to peddle.

matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 9:27:11 AM
At 7/14/2014 8:47:28 AM, annanicole wrote:

What else is new....

It's something he made up! It's a hapless mish-mash of astrology, mysticism, gnosticism, with faith elements of Judaism and Christianity. He deems himself a "spiritual leader", and everyone who disagrees with him is just "angry" and "persecutes him" with ridicule, libel and slander. If you do not believe me, just type "Biomystic slander" in a Google search, and look at all the different forums in which his behavior is exactly the same.

It's not a form of Christianity at all, but heck, when someone is just making up names, I guess they can do what they want. To question him will be to "slander" him ... LOL. He bases half of his stuff on supposed "visions" that he has had. Some of it comes from his examinations of the stars.

Yeah there's a lot of these anti-scripture folks here quoting scripture and feasting off Christianity at the same time rejecting it lol, it's quite troubling.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 9:58:33 AM
At 7/14/2014 9:24:09 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

What else is new....

No, YOU are strange, I haven't even got to your beliefs yet. I wasn't referring to your views at all but the way you approach people and your condescending attitude doesn't seem very appealing, especially for someone who want to peddle.

And what is it exactly I don't know about Christianity? Here is the definition in case you're confused.
Wiki Christianity
meaning "the anointed one",[1] together with the Latin suffixes -ian and -itas) is a monotheistic[2] religion based on the life and oral teachings of Jesus as presented in the New Testament. Christianity is the world's largest religion,[3][4] with approximately 2.2 billion adherents, known as Christians.[5][6][7][8] Most Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God, fully divine and fully human, and the saviour of humanity whose coming was prophesied in the Old Testament. Consequently, Christians refer to Jesus as Christ or the Messiah.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 11:03:58 AM

What else is new....

Cultism 101, Rule 8b: "Speak in indefinable gibberish"

Examples:

"religious iconic human consciousness"
"Abrahamic religious warfare"
"on spiritual basis which are the Source of my humanitarian concern"
" look for Signs of God and the Messiah coming through the Son of God, Anointed One and what it all means for humanity"

Then Rule 8c: "Make up a completely unwarranted and unprovable claim"

"Celestial Torah Christianity ... is the world's oldest religious consciousness"

Can anyone tell us the source of that name? Who was the first person to use it?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 11:32:58 AM
Can you transalate............
In the beginning?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 12:45:45 PM
At 7/14/2014 7:06:42 AM, Composer wrote:
At 7/14/2014 12:29:03 AM, bornofgod wrote:
I will destroy them with the earth.
The earth, according to the Story book you quote for your support refutes you!

[One] generation passeth away, and [another] generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever. (Eccl. 1:4) KJV story book

Never mind, 6 months and your earthly psychosis and lies will be at an end!

Counting the days with you before you make your Story book god happy!

Fools have no wisdom to know the future.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 4:33:06 PM
At 7/14/2014 6:55:26 AM, annanicole wrote:

Just as moronic as the bible you devoutly quote. What inspires your infatuation with the bible?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 4:43:03 PM
At 7/14/2014 4:33:06 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Just as moronic as the bible you devoutly quote. What inspires your infatuation with the bible?

... and along comes inbecile #3. See what happens when one asks a simple question? The fools respond in droves, and not a one yet has come close to answering the question in the OP.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 4:46:20 PM
At 7/14/2014 4:43:03 PM, annanicole wrote:

... and along comes inbecile #3. See what happens when one asks a simple question? The fools respond in droves, and not a one yet has come close to answering the question in the OP.

No answer. What inspires your engrossed infatuation with the bible?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 4:50:26 PM

I've already provided the answer to this OP but it appears you overlook the Truth. The prophecies show that ALL flesh will perish during this age so this scripture is about this fact and nothing else. God could say that about any of His people in this world because He planned the death of the flesh but not the death of His people's spirit, which is in Him. The spirit is the invisible us and the flesh is the visible part of this world that will be destroyed soon.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 6:32:43 PM
At 7/14/2014 4:46:20 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

See above. The question was,

Intellectuallyprimitive states that is so stupid that he cannot understand a simple sentence, whether from the Bible, Shakespeare, or any other classic of English literature and replies with, "No answer. What inspires your engrossed infatuation with the bible?"

So far, we have three answers from ... (get this) ... skinker, bornofgod, and intellectuallyprimitive. Somehow that's about what I expected: single-digit IQ replies.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 6:34:50 PM
At 7/14/2014 4:50:26 PM, bornofgod wrote:

I've already provided the answer to this OP but it appears you overlook the Truth. The prophecies show that ALL flesh will perish during this age so this scripture is about this fact and nothing else. God could say that about any of His people in this world because He planned the death of the flesh but not the death of His people's spirit, which is in Him. The spirit is the invisible us and the flesh is the visible part of this world that will be destroyed soon.

Very well. SchizoBrad thinks the passage means that all flesh, i. e. everyone, will die if the servant crosses the Kidron. He didn't bother to mention what might happen if the servant does not cross the Kidron - but what the heck. When you're crazy as a loon, a few oversights here and there are not of much consequence.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 7:29:07 PM
At 7/14/2014 6:32:43 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/14/2014 4:46:20 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

See above. The question was,

Intellectuallyprimitive states that is so stupid that he cannot understand a simple sentence, whether from the Bible, Shakespeare, or any other classic of English literature and replies with, "No answer. What inspires your engrossed infatuation with the bible?"

So far, we have three answers from ... (get this) ... skinker, bornofgod, and intellectuallyprimitive. Somehow that's about what I expected: single-digit IQ replies.

What would denote a double digit iq response? I am curious as to why you are interested in the bible? I do not know what the literal translation is.