Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 1:23:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Unitarian Universalists are the smartest of all.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 1:49:31 AM
At 7/17/2014 1:20:07 AM, Mikal wrote:
The bible has 2 different creation stories

both are the same

in chapter 1 and 2

why is this

Don't you mean, "are not the same"? In Genesis 1, animals are created before man. In Genesis 2, man is created before animals.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 1:53:44 AM
At 7/17/2014 1:19:28 AM, Mikal wrote:
This is so obvious

It seems you must be trolling. Obviously, you're aware that the vast majority of studies on the correlation between religiosity and intellect, have demonstrated that the relationship is inverse; more intelligent people tend to be less religious, and more religious people tend to be less intelligent.
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 2:16:06 AM
This is so obvious

Atheists are always contramadicting themselves.
Dude... Stop...
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 5:51:39 AM
At 7/17/2014 1:53:44 AM, Beastt wrote:
This is so obvious

It seems you must be trolling. Obviously, you're aware that the vast majority of studies on the correlation between religiosity and intellect, have demonstrated that the relationship is inverse; more intelligent people tend to be less religious, and more religious people tend to be less intelligent.

That's because even dumb people recognize there is a Creator ;D JK, JK
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 11:26:42 AM
This is so obvious

Not the case. First, IQ tests consist of pattern recognition and problem solving which isn't synonymous with intelligence. The second problem with your post, is that you infer intelligence can be measured linearly based on IQ. You might be disappointed to know that by your standards, the most intelligent people alive profess belief in God. Christopher Langan IQ 195-210 and Kim Ung-Yong IQ 210.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 11:32:48 AM
At 7/17/2014 11:26:42 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
This is so obvious

Not the case. First, IQ tests consist of pattern recognition and problem solving which isn't synonymous with intelligence. The second problem with your post, is that you infer intelligence can be measured linearly based on IQ. You might be disappointed to know that by your standards, the most intelligent people alive profess belief in God. Christopher Langan IQ 195-210 and Kim Ung-Yong IQ 210.

And Kim Jong Il has an IQ>160, and he IS God.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 11:32:53 AM
At 7/17/2014 2:16:06 AM, Fanath wrote:
This is so obvious

How so?
I may or may not be a cat
question4u
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 12:08:11 PM
This is so obvious

If an atheist is dumb, then a person who believes that jesus is a god is not so smart either. How can you believe that jesus was born into this earth as god and man when the bible playing states in Isaiah, that Yahweh said there is no god besides me, or was another god before him and will not be another god FORMED AFTER him ... So was he lying because he never changes.. Or was he turmoil with his creation that he had to create another god that can do what he could not do?

Also the reason why Gen 1 and Gen 2 and also the Noah story of the unclean and the clean animals who entered into the ark is different and not the same is because Elohist put there story before the Yahwist story. So the Yahwist story is the Latter, and those who believed in El and his sons story is in the beginning...literally lol
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 12:30:21 PM
At 7/17/2014 11:32:53 AM, AngelofDeath wrote:
At 7/17/2014 2:16:06 AM, Fanath wrote:
This is so obvious

How so?

With with da evidence. No everydence for god but also no evidence for no god so argument is cantradiction.
Dude... Stop...
debateuser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 12:38:17 PM
This is so obvious

Atheists have higher IQ. See study below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

Theists are so intelligent that they pray to their own brain stem. Apparently God asked dubya to invade Iraq. Christians and Muslims calling each other Satan. Isn't it amazing how theists bring the characters from their fairy tales in real life
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 12:46:02 PM
At 7/17/2014 5:51:39 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
This is so obvious

More accurately; only dumb people think there is a creator because they refuse to learn the difference between mechanisms of choice, and mechanisms of properties. The universe demonstrates mechanisms of physical properties, not of choice. That's why more scientists are atheists than any other professional group.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 12:55:49 PM
This is so obvious

What are you yammering on about? Where did I even mention IQ? There are multiple studies, Ben. In fact there are 63 such studies and they utilized varied methodologies. An overwhelming 53 of the 63 studies demonstrated an inverse correlation between intellect and religiosity. In other words (in deference to the theists), more intelligent people tend to be less religious, and more religious people tend to be less intelligent. And no, most of the studies are NOT based on IQ.

For your further information, arguably, the most intelligent professional gathering is that of the NAS (National Academy of Sciences). And among the members only 7% hold to ANY kind of theistic beliefs.

Why do you people think you can change reality just by lying and misrepresenting the studies?

Read up on the subject before you go spreading your ridiculous wants and wishes, and parading them as facts and figures.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
(It even defines "intelligence" for those of you who attempt to reject reality.)

It should come as no surprise to anyone that people who can tell the difference between bronze age fairytales and historical accounts, are more intelligent than those who can't.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 1:17:56 PM
At 7/17/2014 12:55:49 PM, Beastt wrote:
This is so obvious

What are you yammering on about? Where did I even mention IQ? There are multiple studies, Ben. In fact there are 63 such studies and they utilized varied methodologies. An overwhelming 53 of the 63 studies demonstrated an inverse correlation between intellect and religiosity. In other words (in deference to the theists), more intelligent people tend to be less religious, and more religious people tend to be less intelligent. And no, most of the studies are NOT based on IQ.

"In a 2013 meta-analysis, led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, of 63 scientific studies about IQ and religiosity, a negative relation between intelligence and religiosity was found in 53 out of 63, and a positive relation in the remaining ten. Controlling for other factors, they can only confidently show strong negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity among American Protestants"

So yes, all of these 63 studies are IQ tests that've measured IQ scores. "a negative relation between intelligence and religiosity was found in 53 out of 63" but this is just an inference based on IQ score! Show me the source, that obviously must be different than the one I just posted, of the 63 studies that measured intelligence and religiosity, showing an inverse relationship between intellect and religiosity. Unless you want to equivocate IQ with intelligence. In which case, using IQ as linear benchmark of intelligence, the most intelligent people alive believe in God.

For your further information, arguably, the most intelligent professional gathering is that of the NAS (National Academy of Sciences). And among the members only 7% hold to ANY kind of theistic beliefs.

As professors of the natural sciences, they've been trained to perceive phenomena that can be measured sensorially. There's also the aspect of relying on peers to have their work published, where religious beliefs would almost certainly be discriminated against.

Why do you people think you can change reality just by lying and misrepresenting the studies?

Read up on the subject before you go spreading your ridiculous wants and wishes, and parading them as facts and figures.
(It even defines "intelligence" for those of you who attempt to reject reality.)

It should come as no surprise to anyone that people who can tell the difference between bronze age fairytales and historical accounts, are more intelligent than those who can't.

You can semantically define intelligence however you want. If intelligence is equivalent to pattern recognition and problem solving, then calculators and computer software must far more intelligent than humans.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 1:19:05 PM
This is so obvious

Being smart or dumb is irrelevant. Knowing truth is relevant whether people choose to believe that or not.

Yours and lucky's question of how do I know I'm if the elect, because I believe that I am. It's not an arrogant statement either.
I'll be back to answer the rest once I've done more of my homework.
So know that yesterday's discussion isn't exactly over.
You guys challenged me, maybe purposely or not point is I'm searching for answers and will God-willing have my answers soon. But just for the record, what you guys did was immensely intense. I'll even go as far as saying, I may not be on yours or lucky's level of intellect, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna do my best by the grace of God to answer your questions. I don't know everything nor do I have all the answers. I'm sorry that I wasn't prepared, but that definitely gave me a reason to better prepare myself. Not just for these questions you guys asked but further one you may have once I've answered.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 2:03:10 PM
This is so obvious

Christopher Hirata 225, Terence Tao 220-230. Two people who have a higher recorded IQ than either of the people you listed. I can't find any sources on the religious leanings of either. Also, to say Christopher Langan believes in god is a pretty rough generalisation of what god means. You should read up on what he defines god as.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 2:05:13 PM
I knew of them too, but they make no comment about their personal beliefs. Langan believes in evolution but that God started it.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 2:19:04 PM
At 7/17/2014 1:17:56 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 7/17/2014 12:55:49 PM, Beastt wrote:
This is so obvious

"In a 2013 meta-analysis, led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, of 63 scientific studies about IQ and religiosity, a negative relation between intelligence and religiosity was found in 53 out of 63, and a positive relation in the remaining ten. Controlling for other factors, they can only confidently show strong negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity among American Protestants"

So yes, all of these 63 studies are IQ tests that've measured IQ scores. "a negative relation between intelligence and religiosity was found in 53 out of 63" but this is just an inference based on IQ score! Show me the source, that obviously must be different than the one I just posted, of the 63 studies that measured intelligence and religiosity, showing an inverse relationship between intellect and religiosity. Unless you want to equivocate IQ with intelligence. In which case, using IQ as linear benchmark of intelligence, the most intelligent people alive believe in God.

As professors of the natural sciences, they've been trained to perceive phenomena that can be measured sensorially. There's also the aspect of relying on peers to have their work published, where religious beliefs would almost certainly be discriminated against.

You can semantically define intelligence however you want. If intelligence is equivalent to pattern recognition and problem solving, then calculators and computer software must far more intelligent than humans.

While I grant you that the Wikipedia page does equate the results of the various studies as IQ, if you look more specifically to the individual studies, you'll find that not to be the case. So I apologize for attempting to correct you in stating what the link says, as you are correct in what it says. But if we look to the actual studies (which I did some years back), you'll find varying methodologies not solely dependent upon measured IQ. We first need to understand that while SATs were originally developed to mimic the standards for IQ tests (first developed in 1905 by Alfred Binet), they have since become more focused on real-world performance both in a college and a business setting. So tests utilizing SAT scores are no longer the same as those using Intelligence Quotients.

For example; The Norman Poythress study which utilized the SAT scores from 234 US college undergraduates as the metric for intelligence. The Thomas Howell study utilized the grade averages of 461 students (education level isn't listed). The Hilding/Carlson Study (1933) used mean grade point averages for 215 students. The Donald Gragg Study (1942) used a comparison between 100 ACE freshman test scores and Thurstone "Reality of God" scores. The Michael Argyle Study (1958) found that, "intelligent children grasp religious concepts earlier, but are also the first to doubt the truth of religion, and intelligent students are much less likely to accept orthodox beliefs", but doesn't state the metric utilized for measuring intelligence. The Norman Poythress Study (1975) utilized mean SATs and grouped religiosity as "Anti-religious", "Moderately anti-religious", "Slightly anti-religious", and "Religious" ("Anti-religious meaning not holding any religious beliefs). The Ann Roe Study (1953) utilized the information from a survey taken of the members of the NAS. The Vaughan, Smith & Sjoberg Study utilized 850 physicists, chemical engineers, and geologists listed in "American Men of Science (1955), as it's foundation for "intelligence" and then compared "religiosity" as measured by church attendance, belief in an afterlife, and belief in immorality.

So while you can be forgiven for reading the term "IQ" and assuming that means that the studies were all based on IQ tests, a more in-depth look into the methodologies shows what I stated originally - that the methodologies are varied and do not all rely upon scores from IQ tests. As to your original objections to IQ being utilized as the metric for intellect, I'm not sure you can make a reasonable case for your objections. While IQ may not encompass every facet of cognitive ability (i.e. critical thinking, mental creativity), it does stand as a reasonable metric for a general measure of intellect.

For example; no one seems to gripe, cry or accuse the methodology when mean intellect between states in the US are compared on the basis of IQ, and yet, this correlates to grade point averages reported at the federal level as well as correlating quite well to the findings of the Religiosity/Intelligence studies.
http://www.faithology.com...

So no matter how you slice it, the reality emerges the same; people who do not hold religious beliefs tend to demonstrate greater intelligence than those who do.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 2:22:15 PM
At 7/17/2014 2:05:13 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
I knew of them too, but they make no comment about their personal beliefs. Langan believes in evolution but that God started it.

Either way; it doesn't matter. That's anecdotal information and anecdotal information can be used to suggest absolutely anything. I'm sure we can find some very intelligent people with impressive credentials who subscribe to the idea of alien abductions. That doesn't meant the intelligence correlates to belief in alien abductions, it only shows that "some" intelligent people may subscribe to the idea.

If you want to have an understanding in regard to actual correlations, then you need an adequate and fairly gathered test sample and you don't achieve that by cherry-picking from your personal favorite list of "intelligent people".
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 2:53:26 PM

Dude, you stated langan and Ung-Yong were the people with the highest IQ. You didn't say they were the ones with the highest IQ of which you could find information on their religious beliefs. If you don't put in qualifiers like that people may think you're lying. In fact, let me be more specific, I think you're lying.
Also, seriously, read up on how Langan defines god. I guarantee it's nothing at all like you, or anyone you know. There is also good reason to dispute langan's claims about his level of intelligence. He claims to have an IQ of 195-210, but IQ tests can't measure that high. IQs of that level are determined by works created by the individual. For instance, Christopher Higata is estimated to have an IQ of 225 because of his independent arrival at Human Chemical Thermodynamics, also independently arrived at by Libb Thims and Johann Goethe. Langan's only work of note is his Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe, which is widely agreed to be a bunch bollocks. Like seriously, some of it is actually just nonsensical blabbering. And not in the way that people just might not be smart enough to understand it, but the way that it literally makes no grammatical sense.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
heisnotrisen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 3:06:41 PM

His immense Iq fails to denote a superior intellect if the man believes god, which has not been evidently substantiated, initiated evolution.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 3:18:27 PM
I'm not objecting that IQ is used as a metric that is commonly indicate intellect.

The central problem is this:

P1: Intelligence corresponds with ability to discover true statements.
P2: Atheists are more intelligent on average than theists.
C: Atheists are more likely to hold true statements about God. (That he doesn't exists)

But the measure corresponding with intelligence, whether it be IQ or SAT, is measured by quantitative score (X).

If a theist took a quantitative measure corresponding with intelligence, and scores higher on the same test that was used to measure corresponding intelligence of atheists (IQ score, SAT score, etc.), he is more intelligent than his atheist predecessors. Since intelligence corresponds to ability to discover true statements, his superior intellect leaves him with the highest corresponding intelligence to discover a true statement. Since he is a theist, he believes that the statement that God exists is true.

P1: Quantitative score (X) corresponds with intellect.
P2: Atheists tend to score higher on quantitative score (X) than theists.
P3: The highest quantitative score achieved, whose beliefs are known, was by a theist.
P4: In measuring a quantitative score, the highest is superior to any preceding score.
P5: Based on this, the theist has the most superior intellect
P6: Superior intellect corresponds with ability to discover true statements.
C: His superior intellect is most likely to hold true statements about God (that he exists)
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 3:32:34 PM
At 7/17/2014 2:53:26 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Dude, you stated langan and Ung-Yong were the people with the highest IQ. You didn't say they were the ones with the highest IQ of which you could find information on their religious beliefs. If you don't put in qualifiers like that people may think you're lying. In fact, let me be more specific, I think you're lying.
Also, seriously, read up on how Langan defines god. I guarantee it's nothing at all like you, or anyone you know. There is also good reason to dispute langan's claims about his level of intelligence. He claims to have an IQ of 195-210, but IQ tests can't measure that high. IQs of that level are determined by works created by the individual. For instance, Christopher Higata is estimated to have an IQ of 225 because of his independent arrival at Human Chemical Thermodynamics, also independently arrived at by Libb Thims and Johann Goethe. Langan's only work of note is his Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe, which is widely agreed to be a bunch bollocks. Like seriously, some of it is actually just nonsensical blabbering. And not in the way that people just might not be smart enough to understand it, but the way that it literally makes no grammatical sense.

I said the most intelligent people alive profess belief in God. Where is the lie? "Most" rich, "most" strong, etc., are among an elite few relative to the capabilities of the rest of us. I never excluded them as being the top two, nor did I lie.

Langan is part of an ID society. He also believes in the soul and afterlife. Read up on where his IQ was measured. It was taken by a third party.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 3:44:19 PM
For the record, I don't believe that intelligence can be measured accurately by any quantitative measure. Just dispelling the notion that atheists must most likely hold true statements about God with your own logic that intelligence is based on quantitative scores.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2014 4:10:56 PM
At 7/17/2014 12:46:02 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 7/17/2014 5:51:39 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
This is so obvious

More accurately; only dumb people think there is a creator because they refuse to learn the difference between mechanisms of choice, and mechanisms of properties. The universe demonstrates mechanisms of physical properties, not of choice. That's why more scientists are atheists than any other professional group.

Lol alright, but our universe IS physical, therefore it demonstrates physical properties, the material is divided from the spiritual, the physical world can only demonstrate the physical. Besides that do you think scientists have a handle on God? I thought science was the study of our natural physical world, how could it possibly demonstrate a God who is a Spirit and eternal created our existence?
Are you saying that only scientists are smart? In that case are "theist" scientists thrown into the dumb category?