Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Atheists:

mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 1:02:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/26/2010 12:58:53 PM, Koopin wrote:
From what I have seen, to try to disprove God.

lol, not here.

How bout to embrace that which you care for :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 1:04:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
meaning of existence.... I think is nonsense.

"Meaning" comes from caring

You might say "real meaning" God's caring, but caring is caring...

And there's no reason to believe in god.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 1:07:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This video sums it all up. Both what the meaning is and why religion is meaningless.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 7:38:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Geo, that video is partially correct and incorrect.
I like the idea it presents with life, however...
I still "sing and dance" and live my life unchanged.

If the goal of life is to reach Heaven as portrayed in this video, I would shoot myself in the head right now.

What the video fails on is that... You go to school to get educated, to get a job , to make money.... so you can eat and get married have a house and children and live the dream.
Secondly, how does this video apply to a farmer who lives off what he raises and grows?

This video means nothing to a theist bum on the street. Are you an elitist?
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 8:20:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/26/2010 12:56:35 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
What is the meaning of life in your opinion?

There isn't a universal meaning of life other than to satisfy your desires in the way you feel is best. That's my opinion at least.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 10:48:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/26/2010 10:18:04 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
The meaning of life is whatever you define it to be. There is no universal truth.

Is that a universal truth?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 10:57:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/26/2010 10:48:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/26/2010 10:18:04 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
The meaning of life is whatever you define it to be. There is no universal truth.

Is that a universal truth?

I don't see how a positive truth can be of a negative thing.

An absence of agreement, I guess, absolutely means that there is nothing that everyone agrees upon...but that doesn't say much. It's reflexive.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 11:13:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Every creature to feel both happiness and non-happiness has from thence a direct purpose to pursue the former. No God is required. Purpose is an implication of reason.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 11:57:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/26/2010 10:57:28 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I don't see how a positive truth can be of a negative thing.

Uh, saying "there is no universal truth" is a statement which if true would render you as self-contradictory because that itself would be a universal truth. It's an illogical position to hold to.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 7:24:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/26/2010 11:57:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/26/2010 10:57:28 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I don't see how a positive truth can be of a negative thing.

Uh, saying "there is no universal truth" is a statement which if true would render you as self-contradictory because that itself would be a universal truth. It's an illogical position to hold to.

He might just be saying that there is no universal truth when it comes to the meaning of life. If thats the case, there is no contradiction.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 10:58:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/27/2010 7:24:24 AM, tkubok wrote:
He might just be saying that there is no universal truth when it comes to the meaning of life. If thats the case, there is no contradiction.

This.

Also, I am totally aware that my position--that there is no universal truth--is my own subjective opinion. I'm not saying it is definitely correct. Some people believe there is a meaning to life, and some people don't. I am merely pointing out that there is no truth that everyone can agree on, which itself is a definitely true statement. Again, what's the contradiction.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
philosphical
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 12:01:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
@ Geo,

I find that video to be very untrue. Its says the goals we are chasing after never come. They never come for those who don't let them come. I meet my goals all the time.
People go through life, get an education and job, and you say that there is no point to it all? How are you to know that these people aren't happy with their lives and goals?

It's all relative to the said person however.
If someone truly wants something bad enough, they'll get it. If they are bummed about not getting it at the point they want, chances are after putting that thought out there, they won't get it. It's all about positive attitude, to reflect what you get back in life.

I say to each person, their own. If someone believes unconditionally that they will be in heaven, then they will. If someone believes that they will float around in an endless void after death, they will.

We each create our own lifestyles the way we want to.
A great movie to watch to better explain this would be "the secret".
The point is a person is only happy as they let themselves be. They only get what they let themselves get in life.
You are only effected negatively by things, when you allow them to negatively effect you, rather than looking at the positive side of what this has done for you.
Your mouths writing checks that your @ss can't cash!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 10:10:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/27/2010 10:58:00 AM, PoeJoe wrote:

This.

Also, I am totally aware that my position--that there is no universal truth--is my own subjective opinion. I'm not saying it is definitely correct. Some people believe there is a meaning to life, and some people don't. I am merely pointing out that there is no truth that everyone can agree on, which itself is a definitely true statement. Again, what's the contradiction.

Uh, no. Just because there is disagreement on the meaning of life doesn't mean that there is no universal meaning to life.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 10:35:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/26/2010 12:56:35 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:

The term "Atheist" is completely without content. Every Christian knows exactly what it's like to be an atheist with respect to the beliefs of Muslims.

What is the meaning of life in your opinion?

Life is complicated and there probably isn't a single answer. People who think that they can find the meaning of life in ancient books are simply deluding themselves.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 10:59:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/27/2010 12:01:03 PM, philosphical wrote:
@ Geo,

I find that video to be very untrue. Its says the goals we are chasing after never come.

Did you even watch the whole video? That's not what it said. It said that people do reach their goals, only to find out that it's a hoax. People who think that the meaning of life is to get from point A to point B are missing the point. The point is to enjoy the experience of life, not to think of it as a journey to reach an end.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 11:07:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/27/2010 10:35:58 PM, Freeman wrote:

What is the meaning of life in your opinion?

Life is complicated and there probably isn't a single answer. People who think that they can find the meaning of life in ancient books are simply deluding themselves.

Of course you'd actually have to know the meaning of life to know that they are deluding themselves.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 11:16:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/27/2010 11:07:36 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/27/2010 10:35:58 PM, Freeman wrote:

What is the meaning of life in your opinion?

Life is complicated and there probably isn't a single answer. People who think that they can find the meaning of life in ancient books are simply deluding themselves.

Of course you'd actually have to know the meaning of life to know that they are deluding themselves.

Well, I don't think the question, "What is the meaning of life?" is an actual question that deserves an answer.

It is just as meaningless as the question:

1. What is the sound of happiness?
2. What is the color of anger?
3. What is the meaning of mountains?

Each one of us may have something that gives our life meaning, but that is different from what the question gets at.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 7:10:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 2/27/2010 11:16:08 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 2/27/2010 11:07:36 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/27/2010 10:35:58 PM, Freeman wrote:

What is the meaning of life in your opinion?

Life is complicated and there probably isn't a single answer. People who think that they can find the meaning of life in ancient books are simply deluding themselves.

Of course you'd actually have to know the meaning of life to know that they are deluding themselves.

Well, I don't think the question, "What is the meaning of life?" is an actual question that deserves an answer.

It is just as meaningless as the question:


1. What is the sound of happiness?
2. What is the color of anger?
3. What is the meaning of mountains?

Each one of us may have something that gives our life meaning, but that is different from what the question gets at.


Biblically the meaning of life is Jesus Christ. All was created through Him, by Him and through Him. The colour of anger and the sound of happiness. The colour of anger to me is red, and the sound of happiness is laugher. And the meaning of mountians to beuaty and challenge.

What is the meaning to atheism? There isn't one.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 7:46:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 2/28/2010 7:27:45 AM, Floid wrote:
Whatever the individual finds meaningful.

The meaning of little things like what is the colour of anger is meant for a individual like you Floid said above, to decide. There is no real answer but that they are meant to be opinionated by men. That is there meaning. The meaning to the universe as a whole is Jesus Christ.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 7:50:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/28/2010 7:46:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 2/28/2010 7:27:45 AM, Floid wrote:
Whatever the individual finds meaningful.

The meaning of little things like what is the colour of anger is meant for a individual like you Floid said above, to decide. There is no real answer but that they are meant to be opinionated by men. That is there meaning. The meaning to the universe as a whole is Jesus Christ.

I've seen no reason to say that there is meaning behind the existence of the Universe.

Things have meaning to me and to others, it's part of how we are.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 8:42:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/28/2010 7:50:52 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I've seen no reason to say that there is meaning behind the existence of the Universe.

I've seen no reason to say that there isn't meaning behind the existence of the Universe.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 8:53:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/28/2010 8:42:43 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/28/2010 7:50:52 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I've seen no reason to say that there is meaning behind the existence of the Universe.

I've seen no reason to say that there isn't meaning behind the existence of the Universe.

Neither have I...

Do you have any reason whatsoever to say there is??

Or is it just that you care about things. Which has to do with YOU, and other people.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 9:17:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/28/2010 8:53:55 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Neither have I...

Though admittedly I would say it doesn't seem so.

I wouldn't say it can't be, just that it doesn't seem that that is the case.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."