Atheists: Afterlife

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 1:06:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/26/2010 12:58:31 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
What do you personally think happens after you die, if anything?
Go in-depth as you like.

They believe you rot in the ground and nothing else. What a morbid thought. D:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 1:11:15 PM
"Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Some people find that thought disturbing. I find the reality, thrilling!" - Richard Dawkins

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CrappyDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 1:29:52 PM
At 2/26/2010 1:11:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Some people find that thought disturbing. I find the reality, thrilling!" - Richard Dawkins

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

So geo do you think your matter will come together again some time in the future?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 1:46:20 PM
At 2/26/2010 1:29:52 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
At 2/26/2010 1:11:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

So geo do you think your matter will come together again some time in the future?

That's basically reincarnation, lol.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 3:09:56 PM
At 2/26/2010 1:46:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

A lot of people make the connection between some aspects of Buddhism and atheism, mostly on that point, because essentially the atheist position can be considered one of reincarnation. I mean, our bodies rot, our matter mixes with the dirt, plants draw nutrition from our proteins and nutrients, animals eat plants, humans eat animals, the proteins from that go towards things like sperm or developing fetuses, fetuses grow into babies, babies come from the mother, and in the end, the matter from one person's dead body has helped go towards a new life.

Seems like reincarnation to me.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 3:47:18 PM
At 2/26/2010 3:09:56 PM, Volkov wrote:

A lot of people make the connection between some aspects of Buddhism and atheism, mostly on that point, because essentially the atheist position can be considered one of reincarnation. I mean, our bodies rot, our matter mixes with the dirt, plants draw nutrition from our proteins and nutrients, animals eat plants, humans eat animals, the proteins from that go towards things like sperm or developing fetuses, fetuses grow into babies, babies come from the mother, and in the end, the matter from one person's dead body has helped go towards a new life.

I suppose you could call that reincarnation, but I was more talking the buddhist/hindu sense in that the body dies and the soul transfers to a new body, etc.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 7:32:02 AM
Go in-depth as you like.

You revert back to the state you were in before you were born. If you can't remember that state, you aren't alone because you weren't conscious before you were born.

So in other words, you conscious ends and you no longer exist.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 7:43:17 AM
Personally I remember a blackness before everything just came to be I suppose it would that again, or just nothingness. To say a heaven exists because a lack of heaven wouldn't be nice isn't terrible logic.

I've heard some theories of a conciousness spark.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 9:49:38 AM
Go in-depth as you like.

I don't know. What do you think happens? Go as in-depth as you like.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 10:51:06 AM
At 2/26/2010 3:47:18 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I suppose you could call that reincarnation, but I was more talking the buddhist/hindu sense in that the body dies and the soul transfers to a new body, etc.

That would work if Atheists believed in souls. Souls are a part of demonology, a part of Religion, so no souls. It's not reincarnation because it's a molecular particle; it's not "you" or retains anything that makes it "you". IE, D(R)NA, Spirit, Essence or appearance.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 11:35:23 AM
At 2/28/2010 10:51:06 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

That would work if Atheists believed in souls. Souls are a part of demonology, a part of Religion, so no souls. It's not reincarnation because it's a molecular particle; it's not "you" or retains anything that makes it "you". IE, D(R)NA, Spirit, Essence or appearance.

There are atheists that believe in souls; it's strange to me as well but there are some.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 12:08:32 PM
Go in-depth as you like.

Nothing happens. You are dead, there are no experiences to be had.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 12:19:12 PM
At 2/26/2010 1:06:53 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

rather less morbid than suffering eternally in hell, dontcha think?

in any case, to the best of my knowledge, when i die i cease to exist, so nothing happens to me. also to the best of my knowledge, everything else that is happening now continues to happen, but without me there to see it. all the new discoveries i will never know :(
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 12:21:33 PM
At 2/28/2010 12:19:12 PM, belle wrote:

in any case, to the best of my knowledge, when i die i cease to exist, so nothing happens to me. also to the best of my knowledge, everything else that is happening now continues to happen, but without me there to see it. all the new discoveries i will never know :(

You won't be sad about not knowing about all the discoveries because you won't exist however.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 10:44:41 PM
At 2/28/2010 12:21:33 PM, Reasoning wrote:

You won't be sad about not knowing about all the discoveries because you won't exist however.

i can be sad about it now! lol
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2010 11:05:20 PM

Yea, which is a problem I have with the whole atheism/reincarnation theory that has been presented in this thread.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 3:24:35 AM
At 2/26/2010 1:06:53 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

What makes hell really hell is that you will understand the utter justice, the logic of it..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 4:03:01 AM
What makes hell really hell is that you will understand the utter justice, the logic of it..

Torturing beings for not being perfect isn't justice...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 4:30:50 AM

I thought Bhuddism was a bit like belief in souls...

When they talk of reincarnation, I thought they meant more than just recyling the materials.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 5:10:57 AM
At 3/1/2010 4:30:50 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I thought Bhuddism was a bit like belief in souls...

When they talk of reincarnation, I thought they meant more than just recyling the materials.

Eh, matter isn't recycled nor is the term soul really analogous with the western concept. Buddhist reincarnation presupposes its metaphysics - non substantialist - instead of things existing with specific properties, reality is a flow of events (dharma). Under mainstream Buddhism (there are differing sects - that's another issue entirely) the concept of 'I' is redundant and upon reincarnation the self isn't reborn, it's aspects of personality (again a slightly different concept than the western one, more a group of dispositions that integrate into the new person). It's not so much one thing being reborn continuously but the flow of one thing. Think of skipping stones I guess for a visual image.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 8:01:31 AM
At 3/1/2010 5:10:57 AM, Puck wrote:
Eh, matter isn't recycled nor is the term soul really analogous with the western concept. Buddhist reincarnation presupposes its metaphysics - non substantialist - instead of things existing with specific properties, reality is a flow of events (dharma). Under mainstream Buddhism (there are differing sects - that's another issue entirely) the concept of 'I' is redundant and upon reincarnation the self isn't reborn, it's aspects of personality (again a slightly different concept than the western one, more a group of dispositions that integrate into the new person). It's not so much one thing being reborn continuously but the flow of one thing. Think of skipping stones I guess for a visual image.

But each "thing/person" is an individual non-substantial entity in it's own right, that continues in becoming another manifestation??...

Not like Daoism having One entity with a multitude of changing manifestations of the one which are those "things".
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 8:03:35 AM
At 3/1/2010 5:10:57 AM, Puck wrote:

Eh, matter isn't recycled

I was talking of the matter of people being "re-used", so to speak, in the beings of other things.

Metaphysics:
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 1:04:09 PM
recycled and re-used? yeah those are way different...
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
KafkianRoach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 1:55:32 PM
I think the Atheist's perspective on reincarnation, is basically, "The nitrogen cycle" on how matter breaks down and is fixed into the soil by earthworms, and feed to grass.
However as I define myself as my genetic code and memories, I'd say part of me ceases to exist, once the brain rots, then one the body is incomphrenisbly gone, I'm gone completely. ^.^

So After life to me, is of course, non-existence for my person, the matter of course, well it doesn't live, but it persists, until it gets used to make gametes and later forms a person. However they won't be me. (for intuitively obvious reasons.)
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 11:49:24 PM
At 3/1/2010 8:01:31 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
But each "thing/person" is an individual non-substantial entity in it's own right, that continues in becoming another manifestation??...

Not like Daoism having One entity with a multitude of changing manifestations of the one which are those "things".

Nghh. Kinda. Buddhism contains its own inherent contradictions, this being part of one. What's reincarnated is an essence of the person it is not the person reincarnated. It's not seen as an 'own entity' - there is no permanent 'self' there is only aspects , no transmigration occurs -there is rebirth of character but not of self (karma).

Should point out to avoid confusion that karma isn't a 'thing' either, it's not reincarnated - it's what influences the dispositions in each reincarnation (more like a force).
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 3:48:12 AM
At 3/1/2010 4:03:01 AM, Floid wrote:

Torturing beings for not being perfect isn't justice...

You just CHOSE to take this tone, to be as opposed as possible to the Truth; you just chose hell.. you are the sum of your choices, hell is your choice.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 3:53:55 AM
You just CHOSE to take this tone, to be as opposed as possible to the Truth; you just chose hell.. you are the sum of your choices, hell is your choice.

Which doesn't change the fact that by definintion torturing someone for not being perfect isn't a just action.

You can babble on all you want, but you can't change the definition of words.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 4:01:11 AM
At 3/2/2010 3:53:55 AM, Floid wrote:

Which doesn't change the fact that by definintion torturing someone for not being perfect isn't a just action.

We were never called to be perfect; we are called to trust Christ to pay the price we cannot pay, YOU choose to change defintions, not I.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 6:43:56 AM
At 3/2/2010 3:53:55 AM, Floid wrote:

our situation on our own is far worse than 'not being perfect'. We can only delude ourselves that we are 'reletively good.' But in truth we are 'very sinfull'

C.S. Lewis once talked about this explaining how the occasions we do sin shed light on who we are. are excuses involve things like 'it just sliped' indicating that this sinfull action is what we are inclined to do very naturaly. He further went on to point out that what we call our behaveing good would likely change if the condlition of our stomach was different, or we are tired, or have a headache. Our self control is weakend in these states and we end up failing to even pretend to be 'reletively good' and can only show our true character underneath.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.