Jump to topic:

Last Years Response From William Lane Craig

GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 2:43:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What a supreme gentleman he was to offer his quick little response, I simply could not feel better about the man.

I wanted to make sure and share with the world his interesting answers to a couple of my life long questions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5:26pm
Dean Davis
I posted the arguments below in relevance to your mention of divine eternity... I have had some discussion with the members of your forum many are apologists and some are asking even more difficult questions to answer.. I just want to say thank you for allowing me to get educated without getting blocked... You have no idea how much I respect that.
~Just a few reasons why I feel God cannot exist~
a) If God was all that existed in the beginning it cannot divide itself into anything other that itself, 00/00=00. (were does one end and the other begin)
b) God cannot think of a highest number. Limited even so
c) God cannot make a first choice because it would require two unknown options, Otherwise God never made a choice.
d) God cannot have a first thought if eternal, God cannot be eternal if absolute. (Absolute = Complete = Needs Beginning & End)
e) If the Infinite Past exists then god could have never reached the present unless such was a "closed" infinite.
f) If god was a closed infinite, then that just says everything happens and infinite amount of times.
Thanks again,
Dean R Davis

7:01pm
Reasonable Faith
Hey, Dean, thanks! Let me take a quick stab at your questions:
a. The doctrine of creation is not that God divided himself into something else but that he created matter and energy. The standard model of contemporary cosmology holds to the same thing, but without reference to God.
b. There is no highest number, so what you're suggesting is logically impossible, and omnipotence does not mean the ability to do the logically impossible.
c. God can know what his options are because he knows all possible worlds. Freedom of the will means the ability to choose between two equally possible options.
d. God can be eternal in the sense of being timeless, in which case he has no beginning and end, is complete, and does not have a first thought.
e. I agree. See d.
f. God is not a closed infinite.
Hope this is of some help!
Bill
If You Believe In Free Will, Then Don't Picture A Hippo For One Minute. Starting NOW
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 7:23:02 AM
At 7/20/2014 2:43:18 PM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:

Reasonable Faith
a. The doctrine of creation is not that God divided himself into something else but that he created matter and energy. The standard model of contemporary cosmology holds to the same thing, but without reference to God.

The "doctrine of creation" says nothing like what contemporary cosmology holds. An unworthy attempt to ride on the coattails of science.

b. There is no highest number, so what you're suggesting is logically impossible, and omnipotence does not mean the ability to do the logically impossible.

Fair enough.

c. God can know what his options are because he knows all possible worlds. Freedom of the will means the ability to choose between two equally possible options.

Purports to know the attributes of god when even the mere existence of god cannot be established.

d. God can be eternal in the sense of being timeless, in which case he has no beginning and end, is complete, and does not have a first thought.

If god has never had a first thought then he has never had a thought. Proof of his non-existence.

e. I agree. See d.

Not actually answering the question.

Which contradicts the "answer" he gave in e.

Bill

WLC is a charlatan.
GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 12:00:57 PM
At 7/21/2014 7:23:02 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 7/20/2014 2:43:18 PM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:

Reasonable Faith

The "doctrine of creation" says nothing like what contemporary cosmology holds. An unworthy attempt to ride on the coattails of science.

Fair enough.

Purports to know the attributes of god when even the mere existence of god cannot be established.

If god has never had a first thought then he has never had a thought. Proof of his non-existence.

e. I agree. See d.

Not actually answering the question.

Which contradicts the "answer" he gave in e.

Bill

WLC is a charlatan.

LOL Great Review, I agree 100%, I was surprised he actually said open or closed infinite because I address issues with both. Thanks again for taking the time to check it out, it means a lot to me, as I was feeling like he was ducking the very same points.

Cheers, Dean
If You Believe In Free Will, Then Don't Picture A Hippo For One Minute. Starting NOW