Jump to topic:

Lev. 19:18 Love your neighbor

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:45:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
""Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."

Hebrew for ahav (love) in Hebraic thinking means making a commitment to another person. As a verb, it means "to provide and protect what is given as a privilege." We don't love based on feeling, but on action. The house of Shammai in the time of Jesus taught that we are to love our neighbor and hate our enemies, but Jesus taught to love our enemies.

I have struggled with love for too long..love is one of my greatest weaknesses, but God has helped me all the way. Do you know why we are to love our neighbor? Because God first loved us. God loved Israel even before the Law was given, thus the Law does not create favor with God.

Deut. 7:7-8 ""The LORD did not set his heart on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other nations, for you were the smallest of all nations!

Rather, it was simply that the LORD loves you, and he was keeping the oath he had sworn to your ancestors. That is why the LORD rescued you with such a strong hand from your slavery and from the oppressive hand of Pharaoh, king of Egypt."

We are also to love one another because Jesus loved us first. This is why this commandment is the 2nd most important commandment in the Bible. Love is the root of our power, the source of everything that we do as Christians. My soul longs for a change: to become consumed by God's love given through the sacrifice of Christ. I want it to overflow as a fire in my bones as i accept pain by my friends, enemies, and everyone as Jesus did. Your family, friends, spouse, etc. are a privilege from above, not something that you earned. If anything, before you pray for your friends, before your family, before you pray to be a spiritual leader, before you pray to become a warrior, before you pray and fast to be a pastor, a minister, before you desire knowledge, before anything, pray for a heart that burns with passion and zeal of the love of God for him and all of humanity. Protect those whom you love.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 5:54:33 PM
First, gain moral discernment and realize why God sent Jesus in as a Jew to correct Jews from false beliefs such as believing love your neighbor only applied to fellow Jews, not to Gentiles.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 6:01:58 PM
At 7/21/2014 5:54:33 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
First, gain moral discernment and realize why God sent Jesus in as a Jew to correct Jews from false beliefs such as believing love your neighbor only applied to fellow Jews, not to Gentiles.

Jesus did not appear on the scene to "correct Jews", i. e. to sift through and correct a few erroneous traditions of the Jews.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 8:39:50 PM
What a dorky statement. You just can't help yourself, can you, little jealous woman trolling after my posts, you just HAVE to post your put-down. And as usual it's based on lack of knowledge of your subject and in this case, makes zero logical sense when the Gospels are quite full of Jesus' redefining "love your neighbor" to include non-Jews so that
Christianity was born without having membership in Jewish cult.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 10:21:46 PM
At 7/21/2014 8:45:29 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
""Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."

Hebrew for ahav (love) in Hebraic thinking means making a commitment to another person. As a verb, it means "to provide and protect what is given as a privilege." We don't love based on feeling, but on action. The house of Shammai in the time of Jesus taught that we are to love our neighbor and hate our enemies, but Jesus taught to love our enemies.

I have struggled with love for too long..love is one of my greatest weaknesses, but God has helped me all the way. Do you know why we are to love our neighbor? Because God first loved us. God loved Israel even before the Law was given, thus the Law does not create favor with God.

Deut. 7:7-8 ""The LORD did not set his heart on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other nations, for you were the smallest of all nations!

Rather, it was simply that the LORD loves you, and he was keeping the oath he had sworn to your ancestors. That is why the LORD rescued you with such a strong hand from your slavery and from the oppressive hand of Pharaoh, king of Egypt."

We are also to love one another because Jesus loved us first. This is why this commandment is the 2nd most important commandment in the Bible. Love is the root of our power, the source of everything that we do as Christians. My soul longs for a change: to become consumed by God's love given through the sacrifice of Christ. I want it to overflow as a fire in my bones as i accept pain by my friends, enemies, and everyone as Jesus did. Your family, friends, spouse, etc. are a privilege from above, not something that you earned. If anything, before you pray for your friends, before your family, before you pray to be a spiritual leader, before you pray to become a warrior, before you pray and fast to be a pastor, a minister, before you desire knowledge, before anything, pray for a heart that burns with passion and zeal of the love of God for him and all of humanity. Protect those whom you love.

Love isn't an emotion. The love of God is knowledge that removes the fears of this world. Action and the spoken gospel that we saints preach is the love of God. If our bodily actions don't match the spoken Word that we preach, God's people won't trust us or what we say. Once they trust our body and spoken Word, they will learn about the past, present and future ( Eternal Life ).