Jump to topic:

Importance of compassion and forgiveness

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 12:31:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
After reading the book of Jonah, i can relate so much to the main character. As a Christian, i have struggled with God's justice and love for years. God is just and his wrath is poured upon all ungodliness and it happened for many years, it should happen, but i found myself angry at God. I said "God, look at all the people that I've hurt! I'm garbage! I don't deserve mercy or grace! your judgement is just in bringing punishment on sinners for the evil they've done and now your telling me that all they have to do is say they're sorry and forgive them as if nothing happened?!? That's ridiculous! That's a complete contradiction in who you are! God i don't want to live in this world anymore, so just kill me! Just let me perish!" But you know what God does? He lets a plant cover Jonah from the sun and lets a worm eat it. The worm to me symbolizes the judgement that we deserve because we're not supposed to even exist and it kills the plant. God teaches something amazing in Jon. 4:9-11 "9 But God said to Jonah, "Is it right for you to be angry about the plant?" "It is," he said. "And I"m so angry I wish I were dead." 10 But the Lord said, "You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. 11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left"and also many animals?" That's what Jesus does for us, God is about to destroy us all and Jesus says "NO! WAIT! I see potential in these people! Don't destroy them! Spare them! They are living beings! Wait, be patient with them and if they don't produce any good fruits then you can kill them.." You know why God didn't kill Adam after he ate of the tree of knowledge? Because God sees potential in us all. God cherishes the value of human life.

The Hebrew word for atonement basically means "to cover a wrong.." in other words, you pretend that it doesn't exist. We should always have compassion on others despite their sins because we need it as much as they do. God said "You know what? You are evil, you are a sinner who hurts others, but i see potential in you, if you repent of your sins, i will make you into something greater, i will use you to be a blessing to others and as a reflection of my love, my compassion, and my mercy to the world.."
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2014 11:20:30 PM
"God said "You know what? You are evil, you are a sinner who hurts others, but i see potential in you, if you repent of your sins, i will make you into something greater, i will use you to be a blessing to others and as a reflection of my love, my compassion, and my mercy to the world.."

A god who thought that way is not God but a human mind posing as God. Surely you can't believe God who can create a Universe and created us as Children of God made in the image of God, that we are born sinners? Why would a good God make bad people? It makes no rational sense that a maker makes a product that doesn't work right and holds the product accountable for not working right?

Please just stick to Genesis I where God, the Elohim ("Us") tells us we are made in God's image and made good, very good indeed. You will go off the moral and spiritual rails by trying to match Yahweh lower war god commandments in Genesis II with EL Elyon's love of Creation and humanity. You need to make the Armageddon Choice of which God you are serving, God Most High or the Israelite tribal war god. You can't serve both at the same time and do justice to either one.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:27:56 PM
At 7/21/2014 12:31:26 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
After reading the book of Jonah, i can relate so much to the main character. As a Christian, i have struggled with God's justice and love for years. God is just and his wrath is poured upon all ungodliness and it happened for many years, it should happen, but i found myself angry at God. I said "God, look at all the people that I've hurt! I'm garbage! I don't deserve mercy or grace! your judgement is just in bringing punishment on sinners for the evil they've done and now your telling me that all they have to do is say they're sorry and forgive them as if nothing happened?!? That's ridiculous! That's a complete contradiction in who you are! God i don't want to live in this world anymore, so just kill me! Just let me perish!" But you know what God does? He lets a plant cover Jonah from the sun and lets a worm eat it. The worm to me symbolizes the judgement that we deserve because we're not supposed to even exist and it kills the plant. God teaches something amazing in Jon. 4:9-11 "9 But God said to Jonah, "Is it right for you to be angry about the plant?" "It is," he said. "And I"m so angry I wish I were dead." 10 But the Lord said, "You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. 11 And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left"and also many animals?" That's what Jesus does for us, God is about to destroy us all and Jesus says "NO! WAIT! I see potential in these people! Don't destroy them! Spare them! They are living beings! Wait, be patient with them and if they don't produce any good fruits then you can kill them.." You know why God didn't kill Adam after he ate of the tree of knowledge? Because God sees potential in us all. God cherishes the value of human life.

The Hebrew word for atonement basically means "to cover a wrong.." in other words, you pretend that it doesn't exist. We should always have compassion on others despite their sins because we need it as much as they do. God said "You know what? You are evil, you are a sinner who hurts others, but i see potential in you, if you repent of your sins, i will make you into something greater, i will use you to be a blessing to others and as a reflection of my love, my compassion, and my mercy to the world.."
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...