Jump to topic:

Question for Atheistos and Agnostitos

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 9:05:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Disclaimer: Don't worry, this forum isn't the typical "Tough question than bash" thread. I'm just wondering a few things. Since you are all irreligious, or agnostic, perhaps you can give me the best answer. If god were proven to be true, what makes the most sense?

Don't say god doesn't exist. Just answer the questions if you were of the assumption the ontological argument was 100% true. Underline your answer
---------------------------------------------------

God is: Pantheist or Personal
God is Omnipotent: Yes or No
God is Omnibenevolent: Yes or No
God is Omniscient: Yes or No
Holy Works of Literature are the absolute truth of god: Yes or No
God Intervenes in the World: He does or He doesn't
You can speak to god through prayer: You can or you can't
Heaven and Hell are literal places: They are or they aren't
People have a duty to spread the word of god: Yes or No

Tell me what you think. This isn't a religion vs irreligion debate. I just want to see how a atheist reasons these questions. It will help me out surely.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 9:22:29 PM
How would one know these answers? If God were proven to be true somehow most of these would probably automatically be answered. Otherwise your just asking for people to guess at what they want their God to be like. In other words it doesn't make sense to ask these questions.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 9:29:00 PM
At 7/22/2014 9:05:27 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Disclaimer: Don't worry, this forum isn't the typical "Tough question than bash" thread. I'm just wondering a few things. Since you are all irreligious, or agnostic, perhaps you can give me the best answer. If god were proven to be true, what makes the most sense?

Don't say god doesn't exist. Just answer the questions if you were of the assumption the ontological argument was 100% true. Underline your answer

Tell me what you think. This isn't a religion vs irreligion debate. I just want to see how a atheist reasons these questions. It will help me out surely.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 9:34:51 PM
At 7/22/2014 9:22:29 PM, TUF wrote:
How would one know these answers? If God were proven to be true somehow most of these would probably automatically be answered. Otherwise your just asking for people to guess at what they want their God to be like. In other words it doesn't make sense to ask these questions.

If we argue a god is somehow proven, then the rest of the blanks I must fill in from my personal experience thus far of said hypothetical god. I'll play along!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 9:41:36 PM

If a god were proven, I think that most, if not all, of these questions would be answered in doing so.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
steffon66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 9:46:05 PM

Tell me what you think. This isn't a religion vs irreligion debate. I just want to see how a atheist reasons these questions. It will help me out surely.'

id say i dont know whether god would be pantheist or personal

id say god cant be omnipotent as if he could do some things that would mean there have to be some things he couldnt do because he could do those other things and i can give an example if you like

id say god cant be omnibenevolent by your definition of the word as you would probably think that a parent who leaves his or her kid with a known child rapist would be bad and god puts kids with known sex offenders and abusers of all kinds which is the exact same thing yet you call him perfect for doing the same exact thing that you would call the parent bad for. and please explain to me how god can be good for doing this but a parent is bad for doing this.

i suppose god could be omnipotent but i dont know and i highly doubt that he is. i think thats just something people need to believe to believe in a omnijust god.

no i dont think religion is the word of god as all religions contradict each other and cause conflict and controversy and i dont see why god would want to do that unless he is bad and the most probable answer to that question is that religion is created by man.

id so no god doesnt intervene in the world because there are children suffering and he does nothing while some people say god cures their cancer when they are like 80 years old. i find it hard to believe that god would save an 80 year old woman but wouldnt save an innocent child who hasnt even reached the age of accountability.

id say if god exists then you can probably speak to him through prayer assuming he is all knowing but praying in most cases would be pointless assuming hes all knowing unless he waits for you to pray before he acts and does the right thing. i find it hard to believe that god is waiting for a certain amount of people to pray before he acts. and if he is perfect then he is going to do the right thing regardless of your prayers so if you pray for him to do the right thing its pointless because hes already got the wheels in motion and if you pray for him to do the wrong thing hes not going to listen to you.

id so no hell isnt a real place if god is perfect as no one (especially good people who dont believe in one of thousands of contradicting religions) deserves eternal torment. and that which can be asserted without evidence can rightfully be dismissed without evidence.

and id so no people dont have a duty to spread the word of god as god could spread the word better and then people would actually believe him. if there is something he wants us to know why would he tell someone who tells someone who tells someone who eventually builds a religion around it. thats here say and we shouldnt believe it.

reply and tell me what you think about my answers.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 9:48:33 PM
At 7/22/2014 9:22:29 PM, TUF wrote:
How would one know these answers?
I asked which makes the most sense
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Raymond_Reddington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 4:54:05 PM

Neither. God would most likely be deistic.
Yes.
No.
Yes.
No.
Doesn't.
Can't.
They aren't.
No.

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 10:05:03 PM
At 7/23/2014 4:54:05 PM, Raymond_Reddington wrote:

Neither. God would most likely be deistic.
Deism has no correlation with pantheism or anthromorphism
Yes.
I think the whole idea of a ommnipotent god is fallacious. Quite easy to disprove as well. It isn't based in logical reasoning
No.
He is all knowing, but not all good?
Yes.
Maybe
No.
Doesn't.
This would be deism
Can't.
They aren't.
No.

How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
SkepticalStardust
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 11:15:14 PM

Even under the assumption that god definitely exists, there's absolutely no reason to side one way on anything in your list. What would make the most sense is not believing something for no justifiable reason. To me, these questions are as meaningless and arbitrary as "If our concept of knowledge were a number, would it be a even or odd?" I honestly tried to answer them, but answering them seemed far to arbitrary on my part. Sorry for not doing what you asked; I couldn't.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." " Christopher Hitchens