Jump to topic:

Must One Debate to Participate?

sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:44:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I realize this website is called Debate.org, but I see no evidence that the forums are for the sole purpose of debating.

I see no evidence that all opinions, beliefs, theories, etc. must be presented in the form of a debate in the forums.

Yet, I'm repeatedly told by people here that if I'm not prepared to defend and debate everything I post, then I should get out. "after all, this IS a DEBATE forum!" they say.

So, please, someone, show me where it says that the forums are for debate only, and I will gladly leave.

Thank you.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:53:12 AM
At 7/24/2014 9:44:25 AM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
I realize this website is called Debate.org, but I see no evidence that the forums are for the sole purpose of debating.

I see no evidence that all opinions, beliefs, theories, etc. must be presented in the form of a debate in the forums.

Yet, I'm repeatedly told by people here that if I'm not prepared to defend and debate everything I post, then I should get out. "after all, this IS a DEBATE forum!" they say.

So, please, someone, show me where it says that the forums are for debate only, and I will gladly leave.

Thank you.

Hey dude just keep preaching, you will do well with believers and be ridiculed by those who don't.
Your book means as much to the thinkers as every other fairy tale ever written. It's a book of fantasy, just don't expect anyone to take the passages you quote from it as any more authoritative than the story of goldy locks and the three bears.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 10:12:50 AM

Thank you.

Well, what do you think they are for? Really? The forums are not a place for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to present his or her wild ideas, then duck for cover (i. e., just go start a new thread) every time the content is questioned. Ironically, one who does that loses credibility.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 11:45:54 AM
At 7/24/2014 10:12:50 AM, annanicole wrote:

Thank you.

Well, what do you think they are for? Really? The forums are not a place for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to present his or her wild ideas, then duck for cover (i. e., just go start a new thread) every time the content is questioned. Ironically, one who does that loses credibility.

I'm not too concerned about that.

I just want to know if the forums are intended for debate only, or if unsubstantiated opinions. beliefs, "wild ideas", etc. are also welcome.

Thank you.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 1:06:15 PM
At 7/24/2014 11:45:54 AM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
At 7/24/2014 10:12:50 AM, annanicole wrote:

Thank you.

I'm not too concerned about that.

I just want to know if the forums are intended for debate only, or if unsubstantiated opinions. beliefs, "wild ideas", etc. are also welcome.

Thank you.

I suppose so if they are religious in nature, and the poster is actually willing to discuss them.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
rings48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 1:26:54 PM
Generally if you present anything that is not common belief or evidenced, someone is going to try arguing with you.

People are typically on DDO to debate, no to discuss. I expected more intellectual conversations also, instead they don't seem to garner much interest unless people are opposing each other.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 3:40:57 AM
No I don't think every single post one makes has to be a debate.

But the thing is this isn't church, you don't get to make God claims or what ever in front of a non participating audience. You may be asked to back those up, you may even be challenged to debate.

We get people all the time who know and preach...............GODS TRUTH, and golly you have to be right about what you believe, I mean after all it's Gods truth and God isn't wrong and thus they can't be wrong. Theey have his word, his law, his spirit, his way, and God knows what else.

We get that alot around here, after a while on being DDO you know what we call most of those people ?............agnostics.

Welcome to DDO.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 9:06:27 AM
At 7/25/2014 3:40:57 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

But the thing is this isn't church, you don't get to make God claims or what ever in front of a non participating audience.

You know, I've wondered about that. Do people who post on the sports or science forums get to question whether sports or science even exist? After all, any religious discussion presupposes the existence of God or gods of some type. The word "religion" itself implies it. Technically, the atheists who come into this forum are hardly discussing "religion" at all. They are discussing a lack of religion and a lack of need for religion because there is no God with which to reconnect, rebind, re-ligate.

It's like going into the Political forum and saying, "Prove that there is a Democratic Party."
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 10:00:20 AM
At 7/25/2014 9:06:27 AM, annanicole wrote:

But the thing is this isn't church, you don't get to make God claims or what ever in front of a non participating audience.

You know, I've wondered about that. Do people who post on the sports or science forums get to question whether sports or science even exist? After all, any religious discussion presupposes the existence of God or gods of some type. The word "religion" itself implies it. Technically, the atheists who come into this forum are hardly discussing "religion" at all. They are discussing a lack of religion and a lack of need for religion because there is no God with which to reconnect, rebind, re-ligate.

It's like going into the Political forum and saying, "Prove that there is a Democratic Party."

That's a lot easier than proving there's a God, sadly.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 11:54:40 AM
At 7/25/2014 10:00:20 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Whether it's easier or not, it's still the same difference.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 12:04:21 PM

Thank you.

If you can't defend and support what you post, it must be of little value, and no credibility. Perhaps you should try PreachyRetards.com. What's wrong with making contributions worth defending?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 12:33:28 PM

Thank you.

It's basically three options:

1. Just speaking at people (and not engaging them)
2. Engaging in discussion with people you agree.
3. Engaging in discussion with people you disagree.

The first is not participation. You're here, but you're not connecting or engaging with anyone.

If you only do the second, then that's just circlejerking.

If you do the third, then you'll be expected to support your claims. That is to say, debate.

So you're either preaching, masturbating, or debating. Which is it?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 1:00:40 PM
At 7/25/2014 12:33:28 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Very well said!
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 1:46:03 PM

Thank you.

The first is not participation. You're here, but you're not connecting or engaging with anyone.

If you do the third, then you'll be expected to support your claims. That is to say, debate.

Well, I suppose I'm preaching, basically.

And as far as I can tell that's not forbidden. It's just frowned upon by many, apparently.

I have absolutely no desire to debate, or even discuss, religious matters with people who are hostile and insulting.

And so far, I have not seen one single instance of anyone calmly and rationally discussing anything here.

Furthermore, the doctrines of the Bible are not really things to be discussed. They're simply to be believed or rejected.

Therefore, the only two options I have are to preach, or to leave, and for the time being, I'm content to keep preaching.

If it really offends the sensibilities of people on this forum, I may consider leaving, but it won't be my loss.

I'm not under any obligation whatsoever to declare what the Bible says. It's for the benefit of others. And if I leave, it's the forum's loss.

After all, Christ said:
"But whoever does not receive you, neither listens to your words, when you
depart from the house or from the village, shake the sand from your feet."

(Matthew 10:14)
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 1:56:25 PM
At 7/25/2014 1:46:03 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

Thank you.

Then you're useless.

I'm not under any obligation whatsoever to declare what the Bible says. It's for the benefit of others. And if I leave, it's the forum's loss.

After all, Christ said:

After all, Peter said:
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."
(1 Peter 3:15)

But, since when do Christians listen to all the Bible? amirite?
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 2:35:46 PM
At 7/25/2014 1:56:25 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Thank you.

Then you're useless.

After all, Christ said:

After all, Peter said:
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."

Who said I wasn't prepared to give an answer?

And are you asking?

If so, then here is the answer:

The Lord Jesus Christ is the reason for the hope I have. He saved me from all of my sins.

Nice try, but I don't know what made you think I would not give an answer.

Or maybe you interpret that verse to mean that a Christian is obligated to DEBATE these things.

Well, that's not what it means. But I won't debate you on it.
You can think what you want.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 5:03:55 PM
At 7/25/2014 2:35:46 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

Thank you.

Then you're useless.

After all, Christ said:

After all, Peter said:

You did. Where you admitted you are here to preach and not engage people.

And are you asking?

The Lord Jesus Christ is the reason for the hope I have. He saved me from all of my sins.

Or maybe you interpret that verse to mean that a Christian is obligated to DEBATE these things.

Then you aren't answering anything.

As opposed to what?
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 5:55:05 PM
At 7/25/2014 5:03:55 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Thank you.

Then you're useless.

After all, Christ said:

After all, Peter said:

And are you asking?

As opposed to what?

That's a commonly used figure of speech. So don't take it too literally.

It just means, "I'm not going to try to convince you."
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:43:51 PM
At 7/25/2014 5:55:05 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
At 7/25/2014 5:03:55 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Thank you.

Then you're useless.

After all, Christ said:

After all, Peter said:

And are you asking?

As opposed to what?

That's a commonly used figure of speech. So don't take it too literally.

It just means, "I'm not going to try to convince you."

The what are you doing?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 9:09:36 PM
At 7/25/2014 11:54:40 AM, annanicole wrote:

If you honestly can't see the error in your reasoning. Just read over your statement again, but instead of "God" replace it with aliens that come to earth to rape humans......

What would you think if you heard some one say something like....."After all, any (space rapeing alien) discussion presupposes the existence of (space alien rapists) of some type"

If I heard some one reasoning like that, honestly I might not say it, but I would think something like the lines of........well I can't say it, it involves the use of alot of profanities.

If I heard some one compare the objections raised to the existence of such aliens as comparable to say objections raised to the existence of human made sports as both equally absurd I only hope that person is having a bad day and isn't some baseline for their reasoning or lack of reasoning in their life in general.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 9:33:03 PM
At 7/25/2014 9:09:36 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 7/25/2014 11:54:40 AM, annanicole wrote:

If you honestly can't see the error in your reasoning. Just read over your statement again, but instead of "God" replace it with aliens that come to earth to rape humans......

What would you think if you heard some one say something like....."After all, any (space rapeing alien) discussion presupposes the existence of (space alien rapists) of some type"

If I heard some one reasoning like that, honestly I might not say it, but I would think something like the lines of........well I can't say it, it involves the use of alot of profanities.

If I heard some one compare the objections raised to the existence of such aliens as comparable to say objections raised to the existence of human made sports as both equally absurd I only hope that person is having a bad day and isn't some baseline for their reasoning or lack of reasoning in their life in general.

If there was a forum section for "Invading Space Alien Rapists", I think I'd stay off of it. I have nothing to discuss with such folks.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 4:23:48 AM
Furthermore, the doctrines of the Bible are not really things to be discussed. They're simply to be believed or rejected.

The discussion revolves around reasons for believing or rejecting bible doctrines. Surely you are capable of understanding that.
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 5:49:48 AM
At 7/26/2014 4:23:48 AM, bulproof wrote:

The discussion revolves around reasons for believing or rejecting bible doctrines. Surely you are capable of understanding that.

Yes, I'm aware that people discuss their reasons for believing or rejecting the doctrines.
But that's a product of human presumption and ignorance.

The doctrines were never intended to be discussed. They're to be declared.

They're not up for debate. They are the words of Almighty God.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 8:22:32 AM

Step 1: Read the title of the website
Step 2: Apply common sense.

Any questions?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 8:36:21 AM
At 7/26/2014 5:49:48 AM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

Yes, I'm aware that people discuss their reasons for believing or rejecting the doctrines.

Who says?
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 9:30:56 PM
At 7/26/2014 8:36:21 AM, bulproof wrote:

Who says?

God says.

And there is an appointed day when you will meet him.
You can ask him then.

The question is:
Will you be in Heaven or in Hell?

Time will tell.
But you will meet him.

And you will acknowledge him as God.
And you will bow and give praise to his holy name.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 10:01:38 PM

Thank you.

And as far as I can tell that's not forbidden. It's just frowned upon by many, apparently.

I have absolutely no desire to debate, or even discuss, religious matters with people who are hostile and insulting.

And so far, I have not seen one single instance of anyone calmly and rationally discussing anything here.

Therefore, the only two options I have are to preach, or to leave, and for the time being, I'm content to keep preaching.

If it really offends the sensibilities of people on this forum, I may consider leaving, but it won't be my loss.

After all, Christ said:

The Bible also says:
1 Peter 3:15New American Standard Bible (NASB)
15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 12:50:41 AM
At 7/26/2014 9:30:56 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
At 7/26/2014 8:36:21 AM, bulproof wrote:

Who says?

God says.
Prove it.
And there is an appointed day when you will meet him.
You can ask him then.
I won't hold my breath. LOL
The question is:
Will you be in Heaven or in Hell?
Neither, they are stories to frighten children and the feeble minded.
Time will tell.
But you will meet him.
Don't hold your breath.
And you will acknowledge him as God.
And you will bow and give praise to his holy name.
Not if it's your god I won't.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:16:33 PM

Thank you.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...