Jump to topic:

Why do you think Atheists should go to "Hell"

Mairin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 5:06:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I would love to know why some think that Atheists should/do go to "Hell". What's so bad about this apparent "Hell"?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 5:10:25 PM
At 7/24/2014 5:06:35 PM, Mairin wrote:
I would love to know why some think that Atheists should/do go to "Hell". What's so bad about this apparent "Hell"?

I don't agree with the notion that hell is an eternal torture chamber. If a person lives his/her life detracting love from others they still don't deserve hell as depicted in the bible. If an afterlife exists, those that've failed to share the love of God (selfless, pure, virtuous) simply cease to exist forever.
Mairin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 5:15:46 PM
At 7/24/2014 5:10:25 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

I don't agree with the notion that hell is an eternal torture chamber. If a person lives his/her life detracting love from others they still don't deserve hell as depicted in the bible. If an afterlife exists, those that've failed to share the love of God (selfless, pure, virtuous) simply cease to exist forever.

Hell is "Satan's" rendition of Earth. I, personally, wouldn't want to exist forever. Also, I am no more selfish, no less pure, than many religious individuals that I know/have read/heard about/of. I respect and appreciate your response to my post. Thank you.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 5:27:16 PM
Thanks, and yes no human being is perfect. I believe that the reason consciousness or life exists at all is so that we each can be tested. If we are agents of free will, we can choose to share the love of God by acts of selflessness or choose not to by impulsive acts of selfishness. If God is the conscious essence of love, and we recognize our shortcomings, then he will determine who is worthy to embark on experiencing this love in the next life because we freely chose him.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 3:43:36 AM

To keep the evangelical Christians company..............
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 3:53:55 AM
At 7/25/2014 3:43:36 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I think atheists should be confronted with the reality of other people's imagination - apparently. They should be able to stand in righteous indignation in hell for eternity for the offense of being threatened with a hell they they do not believe exists.
debateuser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 4:22:14 AM
At 7/25/2014 3:53:55 AM, neutral wrote:
At 7/25/2014 3:43:36 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I think atheists should be confronted with the reality of other people's imagination - apparently. They should be able to stand in righteous indignation in hell for eternity for the offense of being threatened with a hell they they do not believe exists.

Theists believe they will go to straight to heaven after suicide bombing and other cavemen will be waiting for them with open mouths.
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 4:58:06 AM

I would love to know why some think that Atheists should/do go to "Hell".

I'm not one of them. I don't think they should go. I don't know who does go, and it's not my business anyway.

What's so bad about this apparent "Hell"?

I hear it's unpleasant. But if I had a choice of going to a very pleasant place, or going to a very unpleasant place, the degree of unpleasantness of the very unpleasant place wouldn't really matter.

Of course, If I didn't believe either of the 2 places exist, I wouldn't care either way.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:41:13 AM

Haha, nothing actually. It's a pretty cosy place, much cozier than being in deep space helmetless or being stretched in a black hole or living on the surface of the sun. I mean the latter at least exists while the other is humanities' darkest imaginations.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us