Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Athiesm is a religion

jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:09:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Atheism is a religion because they believe that the universe came from something and heard the explanation of how the universe came from someone else
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:27:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

No, you don't. More like you're lazy, better be bit more elaborate about that point of your argument, example? explanation?
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 8:51:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

You are 100% absolutely trolling. And you aren't even convincing.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
dee-em
Posts: 6,490
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 9:03:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What I find amusing is that theists who make these ridiculous claims don't appreciate the irony. By accusing atheists of having a religion, 'worshipping' science, having 'prophets' and so forth, they are seeking to denigrate atheism. In other words, "you are just as bad as us". They don't realise that this is an implicit admission of the inferiority of their position. It's so hilarious.
QandA
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 5:15:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The definitions of religion:
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

Definition of atheism:
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Upon comparison you'll see that Atheism is in no way a religion. It does not follow any practices, moral codes, way of teachings etc. It merely claims that God does not exist. Period.
QandA
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 5:22:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

Atheism encompasses the lack of a belief in a god. Explaining how the universe originated is not an inherent concept that atheism entails.
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 7:14:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 5:22:49 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

Atheism encompasses the lack of a belief in a god. Explaining how the universe originated is not an inherent concept that atheism entails.

You are wrong because Fatihah proved that atheism is a religion. http://www.debate.org...
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 7:22:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

How is richard dawkins a prophet?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:30:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 7:22:57 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

How is richard dawkins a prophet?

Fatihah forum post explanation issue quiet nicely. http://www.debate.org...
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:56:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/26/2014 1:30:15 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 7:22:57 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

How is richard dawkins a prophet?

Fatihah forum post explanation issue quiet nicely. http://www.debate.org...
Atheism = Someone who does not believe"in god; someone who believes that no deities exist (WordWeb)

&

Religion:

1. A strong"belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny

2. An institution to express belief in a divine power (WordWeb)

i.e. The two are -

mutually exclusive adjective
related in such a way that each thing makes the other thing impossible : not able to be true at the same time or to exist together (Merriam Webster)
Zylorarchy
Posts: 209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:58:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/26/2014 1:30:15 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 7:22:57 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

How is richard dawkins a prophet?

Fatihah forum post explanation issue quiet nicely. http://www.debate.org...

And like I said to him, atheism is the "belief" that there is no god. That is all it is. Atheism is no more a religion than believing that aliens exist...
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
KnightArtorias
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 3:21:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 6:09:54 AM, jh1234l wrote:
Atheism is a religion because they believe that the universe came from something and heard the explanation of how the universe came from someone else

...Trying to explain something doesn't make something a religion. Atheism isn't a dogma, it has no unquestionable beliefs or figures, it does not require blind faith, it does not put forth any unfalsifiable propositions, and so on. There are no prophets, there are no gods, there are no holy scriptures.

This constant attempt by the religious to drag down Atheism to it's level is pathetic. It's as if you acknowledge the own absurdities of your beliefs, but like a crazy person, instead of working to address your own issues you instead try to project them onto everyone else, as if doing so somehow justifies them to you.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 3:52:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 9:03:32 AM, dee-em wrote:
What I find amusing is that theists who make these ridiculous claims don't appreciate the irony. By accusing atheists of having a religion, 'worshipping' science, having 'prophets' and so forth, they are seeking to denigrate atheism. In other words, "you are just as bad as us". They don't realise that this is an implicit admission of the inferiority of their position. It's so hilarious.

THIS. ^^

The religious, by these pathetic arguments, are saying.

Ha Ha you are as stupid as we are.

OK whatever.
irreverent_god
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 9:17:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 9:03:32 AM, dee-em wrote:
What I find amusing is that theists who make these ridiculous claims don't appreciate the irony. By accusing atheists of having a religion, 'worshipping' science, having 'prophets' and so forth, they are seeking to denigrate atheism. In other words, "you are just as bad as us". They don't realise that this is an implicit admission of the inferiority of their position. It's so hilarious.

You should never use words like "implicit" in debating theists. It indicates reasoned thought, which is a big No-No, when it comes to deriving the conclusion of 'gawd,' wherever science has not yet found the caulk to keep the gawd-rain out of the ivory tower...
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.