Jump to topic:

Athiesm is a religion

jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:09:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Atheism is a religion because they believe that the universe came from something and heard the explanation of how the universe came from someone else
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM
You're really bad at trolling. At least try and put some effort into it.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM
At 7/25/2014 6:11:59 AM, muzebreak wrote:

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin
My political compass:
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:27:04 AM
At 7/25/2014 6:18:32 AM, jh1234l wrote:

I'm not trolling. Atheism is religion because it is an explanation of how the world appeared, and they heard those explanations from "prophets" like Richard Dawkin

No, you don't. More like you're lazy, better be bit more elaborate about that point of your argument, example? explanation?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 8:51:59 AM

You are 100% absolutely trolling. And you aren't even convincing.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 9:03:32 AM
What I find amusing is that theists who make these ridiculous claims don't appreciate the irony. By accusing atheists of having a religion, 'worshipping' science, having 'prophets' and so forth, they are seeking to denigrate atheism. In other words, "you are just as bad as us". They don't realise that this is an implicit admission of the inferiority of their position. It's so hilarious.
QandA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 5:15:34 PM
The definitions of religion:
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

Definition of atheism:
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Upon comparison you'll see that Atheism is in no way a religion. It does not follow any practices, moral codes, way of teachings etc. It merely claims that God does not exist. Period.
QandA
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 5:22:49 PM

Atheism encompasses the lack of a belief in a god. Explaining how the universe originated is not an inherent concept that atheism entails.
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 7:14:04 PM
At 7/25/2014 5:22:49 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Atheism encompasses the lack of a belief in a god. Explaining how the universe originated is not an inherent concept that atheism entails.

You are wrong because Fatihah proved that atheism is a religion. http://www.debate.org...
My political compass:
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 7:22:57 PM

How is richard dawkins a prophet?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:30:15 AM
At 7/25/2014 7:22:57 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Fatihah forum post explanation issue quiet nicely. http://www.debate.org...
My political compass:
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:56:31 AM
At 7/26/2014 1:30:15 AM, jh1234l wrote:

Atheism = Someone who does not believe"in god; someone who believes that no deities exist (WordWeb)

&

Religion:

1. A strong"belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny

2. An institution to express belief in a divine power (WordWeb)

i.e. The two are -

mutually exclusive adjective
related in such a way that each thing makes the other thing impossible : not able to be true at the same time or to exist together (Merriam Webster)
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:58:40 AM
At 7/26/2014 1:30:15 AM, jh1234l wrote:

And like I said to him, atheism is the "belief" that there is no god. That is all it is. Atheism is no more a religion than believing that aliens exist...
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
KnightArtorias
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 3:21:30 AM
At 7/25/2014 6:09:54 AM, jh1234l wrote:
Atheism is a religion because they believe that the universe came from something and heard the explanation of how the universe came from someone else

...Trying to explain something doesn't make something a religion. Atheism isn't a dogma, it has no unquestionable beliefs or figures, it does not require blind faith, it does not put forth any unfalsifiable propositions, and so on. There are no prophets, there are no gods, there are no holy scriptures.

This constant attempt by the religious to drag down Atheism to it's level is pathetic. It's as if you acknowledge the own absurdities of your beliefs, but like a crazy person, instead of working to address your own issues you instead try to project them onto everyone else, as if doing so somehow justifies them to you.
"Within us all, we are burdened. Hidden away. A murmur of the dark. Always seek the light of reason. Lest you slip and be devoured by the Abyss."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 3:52:54 AM
At 7/25/2014 9:03:32 AM, dee-em wrote:
What I find amusing is that theists who make these ridiculous claims don't appreciate the irony. By accusing atheists of having a religion, 'worshipping' science, having 'prophets' and so forth, they are seeking to denigrate atheism. In other words, "you are just as bad as us". They don't realise that this is an implicit admission of the inferiority of their position. It's so hilarious.

THIS. ^^

The religious, by these pathetic arguments, are saying.

Ha Ha you are as stupid as we are.

OK whatever.
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 9:17:39 AM
At 7/25/2014 9:03:32 AM, dee-em wrote:

You should never use words like "implicit" in debating theists. It indicates reasoned thought, which is a big No-No, when it comes to deriving the conclusion of 'gawd,' wherever science has not yet found the caulk to keep the gawd-rain out of the ivory tower...
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.