Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

My testimony

Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 7:52:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was raised and grew up in a Christian environment. I remember waking up every morning and listening to worship music as my dad would pray and study the Bible. I was never connected to it, despite being a churchgoer. I never liked church or the Bible and didn't think too much of God. I was a bad influence in the church actually. It was not until i became more aware of God's wrath and judgement upon sinners, the rapture, everything. It terrified me and i avoided it. I felt cursed, like something was following me..i was afraid of my family being taken up to heaven and leaving me here on earth. I had nightmares about it in a sense. I had nightmares of being pulled to hell by demons. I also had an anger, at times i was violent taking the philosophy of "eye for an eye" and i felt the pain of the people i hurt. I felt that i'd be cast into hell for all my sins...My dad got separated, mom stopped going to church, so i felt that it was time to leave God...to start a new life and forget my past life...but in the midst of it, God called me by name like he spoke to Moses from the burning bush and i said "Who is it Lord? Who are you?" He said "come find me..come look for me..here i am.." Later that day, he revealed to me all of my sins and i stood on trial. It was a struggle, a pain, i didn't want to accept it because i felt unworthy, felt none of it was real. It was not until finally, i realized i couldn't bear the weight of my sins and saw the love of Jesus towards man that i finally locked myself in a room, repented of all my sins, and received his grace. After that, it was as if a huge burden was lifted from my back and my old self died as joy, peace, redemption, and a new creature developed from within. From that day on, i had such a passion for God that i went around online preaching the Gospel. I would always be talking about God, evangelizing, and seeking him.
dee-em
Posts: 6,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 9:25:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 7:52:18 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

...but in the midst of it, God called me by name like he spoke to Moses from the burning bush and i said "Who is it Lord? Who are you?" He said "come find me..come look for me..here i am.." Later that day, he revealed to me all of my sins and i stood on trial. It was a struggle, a pain, i didn't want to accept it because i felt unworthy, felt none of it was real.

Please don't take this the wrong way but have you ever seriously considered the possibility that none of it was real, that it was all happening inside your own head? You admit that you were burdened by guilt at the time and that you had a fairly horrific childhood experience of conditioning in the more sadistic aspects of Christian beliefs with the emphasis on eternal reward and vicious punishment. Such an upbringing could screw up anyone especially if you rebelled against it. It is possible that these factors culminated in you having a minor mental breakdown which you have interpreted as an experience of god. Something to consider?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 10:09:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yeah see I am doubtful this actually happened and your not being a bit stretchy with the truth.

What I suspect happened is that God didn't actually say anything to you, but rather you were exposed to religious indoctrination, specifically of a christian flavor, bible, Jesus, hell, your sins forgiven, all the bible stories, the world is evil, etc etc

Now you tell your self a made up story in retrospect to justify that previous religious beliefs that were instilled in you. You are not the first, you won't be the last.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 10:24:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 7:52:18 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
God called me by name like he spoke to Moses from the burning bush and i said "Who is it Lord? Who are you?"
Well, if you said, "who is it, Lord", it sounds like you'd already decided who it was.

He said "come find me..come look for me..here i am.."
Did you actually hear him? Or did you just imagine this might be the message you were supposed to receive?

Later that day, he revealed to me all of my sins and i stood on trial.
Meaning, you started thinking about the things you've done in your life which you already knew were wrong?

It was a struggle, a pain, i didn't want to accept it because i felt unworthy, felt none of it was real. It was not until finally, i realized i couldn't bear the weight of my sins and saw the love of Jesus towards man that i finally locked myself in a room, repented of all my sins, and received his grace.
This suggests that you don't understand Christianity. If you are worried about Hell, that's because you believe God would actually subject you to eternal torment. No omnibenevolent being could do anything that horrific. It violates the very meaning of "omni-benevolence", of "justice", and of "mercy".

According to Christianity, Jesus is God. So Jesus is the one who decided before you were ever born, that you were worthy of an eternity of pure torment in Hell. And all of those nightmares as a child, were because you believed Jesus could do something like that to you. But instead of realizing that would make Jesus a blood-thirsty, psychopathic and sadistic barbarian, you claim he loves you. And you claim that because that's what you have been taught to believe.

There is no real difference between Jesus holding Hell over your head and saying, "Believe in me, or else!", and a mugger holding a gun to your head and saying, "Give me your wallet, or else!"

Both scenarios are something known in legal circles as "extortion". They are attempts to take something which hasn't been earned, by force or threat of force. They're both violent acts, and illegal. So next time you're tempted to see God/Jesus as the "good guy", ask yourself if the mugger threatening to shoot you is the "good guy".

They're actually one and the same.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 4:46:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 7:52:18 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I was raised and grew up in a Christian environment. I remember waking up every morning and listening to worship music as my dad would pray and study the Bible. I was never connected to it, despite being a churchgoer. I never liked church or the Bible and didn't think too much of God. I was a bad influence in the church actually. It was not until i became more aware of God's wrath and judgement upon sinners, the rapture, everything. It terrified me and i avoided it. I felt cursed, like something was following me..i was afraid of my family being taken up to heaven and leaving me here on earth. I had nightmares about it in a sense. I had nightmares of being pulled to hell by demons. I also had an anger, at times i was violent taking the philosophy of "eye for an eye" and i felt the pain of the people i hurt. I felt that i'd be cast into hell for all my sins...My dad got separated, mom stopped going to church, so i felt that it was time to leave God...to start a new life and forget my past life...but in the midst of it, God called me by name like he spoke to Moses from the burning bush and i said "Who is it Lord? Who are you?" He said "come find me..come look for me..here i am.." Later that day, he revealed to me all of my sins and i stood on trial. It was a struggle, a pain, i didn't want to accept it because i felt unworthy, felt none of it was real. It was not until finally, i realized i couldn't bear the weight of my sins and saw the love of Jesus towards man that i finally locked myself in a room, repented of all my sins, and received his grace. After that, it was as if a huge burden was lifted from my back and my old self died as joy, peace, redemption, and a new creature developed from within. From that day on, i had such a passion for God that i went around online preaching the Gospel. I would always be talking about God, evangelizing, and seeking him.
What actually happened was that you were so ashamed of yourself and couldn't live with it, so you decided to ' forgive yourself ' to make a clean start!

As per usual, your entire evidence any supernatural god or power was involved remains like the similar claims of ALL others, = zero!

Should you ever wish to try to prove any such third party involvement, then the James Randi Educational Foundation wants to hear from you?

Let me know when you think you have grown a backbone & have the courage of your supposed conviction & I'll provide the contact details?
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 8:47:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The point of this wasn't to prove God's existence, it was to show his power and salvation in my life. Truth doesn't take sides, it doesn't suit your desires as humans. The truth is the truth.
dee-em
Posts: 6,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 7:53:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/26/2014 8:47:09 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
The point of this wasn't to prove God's existence, it was to show his power and salvation in my life. Truth doesn't take sides, it doesn't suit your desires as humans. The truth is the truth.

This begs the question. How do you know what the truth is?
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:25:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/25/2014 7:52:18 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I was raised and grew up in a Christian environment. I remember waking up every morning and listening to worship music as my dad would pray and study the Bible. I was never connected to it, despite being a churchgoer. I never liked church or the Bible and didn't think too much of God. I was a bad influence in the church actually. It was not until i became more aware of God's wrath and judgement upon sinners, the rapture, everything. It terrified me and i avoided it. I felt cursed, like something was following me..i was afraid of my family being taken up to heaven and leaving me here on earth. I had nightmares about it in a sense. I had nightmares of being pulled to hell by demons. I also had an anger, at times i was violent taking the philosophy of "eye for an eye" and i felt the pain of the people i hurt. I felt that i'd be cast into hell for all my sins...My dad got separated, mom stopped going to church, so i felt that it was time to leave God...to start a new life and forget my past life...but in the midst of it, God called me by name like he spoke to Moses from the burning bush and i said "Who is it Lord? Who are you?" He said "come find me..come look for me..here i am.." Later that day, he revealed to me all of my sins and i stood on trial. It was a struggle, a pain, i didn't want to accept it because i felt unworthy, felt none of it was real. It was not until finally, i realized i couldn't bear the weight of my sins and saw the love of Jesus towards man that i finally locked myself in a room, repented of all my sins, and received his grace. After that, it was as if a huge burden was lifted from my back and my old self died as joy, peace, redemption, and a new creature developed from within. From that day on, i had such a passion for God that i went around online preaching the Gospel. I would always be talking about God, evangelizing, and seeking him.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...