Jump to topic:

The meaning of life is . . . Love.

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 4:58:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If we were to die and look back on our life, we'd realize that whatever we did that was good gave our life meaning. Bringing about the most good in our life is the most meaningful life that we can have. To maximize the welfare of ourselves and others we can only do so by acts of pure, selfless love. Imagine how different the world would be if everyone loved each other. Every virtue stands on a foundation of love.

I don't consider myself religious but I do believe with that religion is fundamentally correct in stressing the importance of sharing pure love. God must be the conscious essence behind the goodness of love.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 5:11:34 AM
At 7/26/2014 4:58:34 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
If we were to die and look back on our life, we'd realize that whatever we did that was good gave our life meaning. Bringing about the most good in our life is the most meaningful life that we can have. To maximize the welfare of ourselves and others we can only do so by acts of pure, selfless love. Imagine how different the world would be if everyone loved each other. Every virtue stands on a foundation of love.

I don't consider myself religious but I do believe with that religion is fundamentally correct in stressing the importance of sharing pure love. God must be the conscious essence behind the goodness of love.

Which god?
Man has invented many.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 9:09:09 AM

Amen, i believe the same and i agree with you.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 3:31:12 PM
At 7/26/2014 5:11:34 AM, bulproof wrote:

Which god?
Man has invented many.

The God that decreed that love is a transcendent aspect of human consciousness to unite and maximize the well being of everyone.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 7:43:56 PM
At 7/26/2014 3:31:12 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Which god?
Man has invented many.

The God that decreed that love is a transcendent aspect of human consciousness to unite and maximize the well being of everyone.

You got any record of this god decreeing anything at all?
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 11:13:36 PM
At 7/26/2014 7:43:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/26/2014 3:31:12 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Which god?
Man has invented many.

You got any record of this god decreeing anything at all?

Nope. I don't even know if God exists. But if he does, it's very likely that he created us for this purpose.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 11:55:53 PM
At 7/26/2014 11:13:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Nope. I don't even know if God exists. But if he does, it's very likely that he created us for this purpose.

That is a warp 9 backpeddle.

You don't mean the god that decreed something.

You think that if there was a god then that is what he would decree.

Welcome to theism, because what their gods think aligns perfectly with what they think as well.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 12:02:14 AM
At 7/26/2014 11:55:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/26/2014 11:13:36 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

That is a warp 9 backpeddle.

You don't mean the god that decreed something.

You think that if there was a god then that is what he would decree.

Welcome to theism, because what their gods think aligns perfectly with what they think as well.

Not really. We have this conscious existence that no one really knows where it came from. Love is the height of harmony and good within this existence and if we were created for a purpose it's very likely that love is this purpose due to its inherent goodness.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 12:04:53 AM

And God certainly is the conscious essence behind the goodness of love my friend :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 12:13:26 AM
Bulproof, pick your fights. As long as he admits he doesn't know God exists, that is all we can ask for, and keep your snide and troll-y comments to yourself.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 12:25:33 AM
At 7/27/2014 12:13:26 AM, Hematite12 wrote:
Bulproof, pick your fights. As long as he admits he doesn't know God exists, that is all we can ask for, and keep your snide and troll-y comments to yourself.
If I require your contribution I'll pull the chain.

It was his claim that a god decreed something, I suppose you want to claim that it would be the god he doesn't exists?

Whatever.

I figured out that in this place troll means anyone who disagrees with you but won't suck your d*ck or be nice to your idiotic opinions.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 12:29:34 AM
BTW, I agree that the meaning of life is love.

Unfortunately that is incompatible with god beliefs.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 4:17:28 AM

We share congruous perspectives regarding the first paragraph. I find the second paragraph to contain rather disputable remarks.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 4:19:14 AM

No. He is more than welcome to comment regardless of your opinion. If you find a problem I suggest ignoring him.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 4:26:25 AM

Is god also responsible for what me way consider the opposite of love, hate if you will?
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:15:49 PM

A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:18:31 PM
At 7/27/2014 12:25:33 AM, bulproof wrote:
If I require your contribution I'll pull the chain.

It was his claim that a god decreed something, I suppose you want to claim that it would be the god he doesn't exists?

Whatever.

I figured out that in this place troll means anyone who disagrees with you but won't suck your d*ck or be nice to your idiotic opinions.

It's idiotic to try and promote happiness and peace through love of one another?

Regardless of what medium you do that through - religion or not - that is certainly a respectable opinion, rather, action, that should be praised and lauded, not degraded and berated.