Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Mercy, not laws

Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 7:10:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
In the New Testament, the Pharisees had introduced their own oral traditions to keeping the written commandments. When Jesus healed on the Sabbath, Jesus broke their traditions and chose to follow God's written commandments. The Pharisees had placed the laws above the one of the most important concepts of the law: Mercy. As Christians, we shouldn't focus on the fact that someone broke a commandment, but should always show mercy to everyone as Jesus did. What do you think?
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 9:02:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/26/2014 7:28:49 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
You're getting the picture of what it means to walk the Christian walk.

Exactly :)
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 9:38:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well there"s no secret to that in the cases of Israeli traditions or interpretations of God"s Commandments. Not only was there the purpose of the offerings for things as forgiveness, but the commandments were placed in the ark of the covenant (note the Lord God called His Ten commandments a covenant) the Mercy seat was placed on top of, or over the commandments in the ark. Hence, Mercy over Commandment. Even in the case of Adam and Eve, it was a commandment that was given Adam and it"s God"s Mercy to restore us to that previous state of acceptableness in His Presence.

The pharisees at the time where running into one self proclaimed messiah after another, and they knew if the messiah disobeyed any of God"s Word, then they couldn"t be the "Son of God".
In the law, one of the priest"s jobs is to examine the offering that it meet acceptability where things like blemishes where unacceptable for offering. In a sense this is what they were doing in respect to whether a proclaimed messiah was true or not, whether they were aware of this fulfillment or not, in respect to Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God,it doesn"t seem so.
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 9:42:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/26/2014 9:38:12 AM, DPMartin wrote:
Well there"s no secret to that in the cases of Israeli traditions or interpretations of God"s Commandments. Not only was there the purpose of the offerings for things as forgiveness, but the commandments were placed in the ark of the covenant (note the Lord God called His Ten commandments a covenant) the Mercy seat was placed on top of, or over the commandments in the ark. Hence, Mercy over Commandment. Even in the case of Adam and Eve, it was a commandment that was given Adam and it"s God"s Mercy to restore us to that previous state of acceptableness in His Presence.

The pharisees at the time where running into one self proclaimed messiah after another, and they knew if the messiah disobeyed any of God"s Word, then they couldn"t be the "Son of God".
In the law, one of the priest"s jobs is to examine the offering that it meet acceptability where things like blemishes where unacceptable for offering. In a sense this is what they were doing in respect to whether a proclaimed messiah was true or not, whether they were aware of this fulfillment or not, in respect to Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God,it doesn"t seem so.

but see the rabbis interpretations of the Torah came from tradition, not from God himself. Jesus himself had authority over their traditions and he could prove it by the miracles he did, the things he taught, the person he was. Jesus could prove that he is the mouth of God.
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 11:06:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/26/2014 9:42:49 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
but see the rabbis interpretations of the Torah came from tradition, not from God himself. Jesus himself had authority over their traditions and he could prove it by the miracles he did, the things he taught, the person he was. Jesus could prove that he is the mouth of God.

Christian theology is of the same cut, man"s interpretation. The only correct interpretation of the Torah is Jesus Christ because he is the fulfillment thereof.

I understand what you are getting at, but in the case of human nature and God"s nature, the two are completely different. The result of man"s judgement, even in the case of God"s Commandments is death. That proof is in the judgement of the pharisees in the case of Jesus Christ, their judgement was death. Hence Jesus being God"s nature in the Son of man is Life. His Judgement is Life even in the experience of man"s judgement of death, His nature was to live. Hence the resurrection.

Jesus didn"t have to prove a thing, He is who He is, and His nature showed. If you noticed, He looked for faith, and when He saw it He honored it.
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 11:08:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/26/2014 7:10:14 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
In the New Testament, the Pharisees had introduced their own oral traditions to keeping the written commandments. When Jesus healed on the Sabbath, Jesus broke their traditions and chose to follow God's written commandments. The Pharisees had placed the laws above the one of the most important concepts of the law: Mercy. As Christians, we shouldn't focus on the fact that someone broke a commandment, but should always show mercy to everyone as Jesus did. What do you think?

hmmm....well it depends how strongly they broke the commandment
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 8:23:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/26/2014 7:10:14 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
In the New Testament, the Pharisees had introduced their own oral traditions to keeping the written commandments. When Jesus healed on the Sabbath, Jesus broke their traditions and chose to follow God's written commandments. The Pharisees had placed the laws above the one of the most important concepts of the law: Mercy. As Christians, we shouldn't focus on the fact that someone broke a commandment, but should always show mercy to everyone as Jesus did. What do you think?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...