Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Why Is This Site Infested With Religion?

BradK
Posts: 475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:21:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The front page always seems to have some sort of "does god exist" debate, or "is this and that a sin or not?" poll.

I don't get it, what's so interesting about debating religion?
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:45:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/27/2014 9:21:40 AM, BradK wrote:
The front page always seems to have some sort of "does god exist" debate, or "is this and that a sin or not?" poll.

Because a new crop of college physics I graduates (or dropouts) meander into the site each semester, each armed with what he considers to be a new and profound understanding of the universe.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
QandA
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:22:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/27/2014 9:21:40 AM, BradK wrote:
The front page always seems to have some sort of "does god exist" debate, or "is this and that a sin or not?" poll.

I don't get it, what's so interesting about debating religion?

What's so interesting about debating anything then?
QandA
BradK
Posts: 475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:55:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/27/2014 10:22:22 AM, QandA wrote:
At 7/27/2014 9:21:40 AM, BradK wrote:
The front page always seems to have some sort of "does god exist" debate, or "is this and that a sin or not?" poll.

I don't get it, what's so interesting about debating religion?

What's so interesting about debating anything then?

well debating religion on the internet is just basically "do you think there's a god?" "no, do you?" "no, do you?" "yes, do you?" and its just different people coming to their own conclusions for their own reasons and good for them. But the debate will never end, because it's so cyclical. There's a huge "no god" fad, and then it gets followed by a "god exists" fad, followed by an agnosticism fad, followed by a "no god" fad, and so on and so on. And the debate gets nowhere and no one gets any younger in the process. What about the ethics of cloning? What about the crappy education system? What about the ethics of internet pirating? What about drugs? What about war? What about global warming and pollution? What about the economy? Is the question "does god exist?" REALLY more interesting than all of that? I think the difference is that at the end of the day people want to debate about things that affect them, not about whether or not Whitebeard sails the seven heavens plundering the pews for booty or that's just some story the priests made up to get you to give them twenty dollars every week.
QandA
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:40:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/27/2014 10:55:34 AM, BradK wrote:
At 7/27/2014 10:22:22 AM, QandA wrote:
At 7/27/2014 9:21:40 AM, BradK wrote:
The front page always seems to have some sort of "does god exist" debate, or "is this and that a sin or not?" poll.

I don't get it, what's so interesting about debating religion?

What's so interesting about debating anything then?

well debating religion on the internet is just basically "do you think there's a god?" "no, do you?" "no, do you?" "yes, do you?" and its just different people coming to their own conclusions for their own reasons and good for them. But the debate will never end, because it's so cyclical. There's a huge "no god" fad, and then it gets followed by a "god exists" fad, followed by an agnosticism fad, followed by a "no god" fad, and so on and so on. And the debate gets nowhere and no one gets any younger in the process. What about the ethics of cloning? What about the crappy education system? What about the ethics of internet pirating? What about drugs? What about war? What about global warming and pollution? What about the economy? Is the question "does god exist?" REALLY more interesting than all of that? I think the difference is that at the end of the day people want to debate about thing s that affect them, not about whether or not Whitebeard sails the seven heavens plundering the pews for booty or that's just some story the priests made up to get you to give them twenty dollars every week.

I see your point however I think debating in general is about voicing your opinion, no matter what the topic at hand is. I agree that the god debate can get a bit tiresome however you can't say that debating religion in general is a waste of time. There are many current issues in the world involving religion whether it's rioting, bombing, discrimination or even school teaching of religion and etc. Surely such topics deserve to be debated just as much as the ones in which you mention. Religious debates go a lot further than just posing the question of whether God exists
QandA
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 8:56:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/27/2014 9:21:40 AM, BradK wrote:
The front page always seems to have some sort of "does god exist" debate, or "is this and that a sin or not?" poll.

I don't get it, what's so interesting about debating religion?

I think you may have intended this thread to facetiously imitate "Why is this site infested with atheism?". Kudos.

That being said, I do enjoy learning about the varied beliefs of theists. Just limiting our scope to Christianity, there are many many various interpretations, understandings, and beliefs. It has been sort of an anthropological enlightenment for me!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 12:11:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/27/2014 10:55:34 AM, BradK wrote:
At 7/27/2014 10:22:22 AM, QandA wrote:
At 7/27/2014 9:21:40 AM, BradK wrote:
The front page always seems to have some sort of "does god exist" debate, or "is this and that a sin or not?" poll.

I don't get it, what's so interesting about debating religion?

What's so interesting about debating anything then?

well debating religion on the internet is just basically "do you think there's a god?" "no, do you?" "no, do you?" "yes, do you?" and its just different people coming to their own conclusions for their own reasons and good for them. But the debate will never end, because it's so cyclical. There's a huge "no god" fad, and then it gets followed by a "god exists" fad, followed by an agnosticism fad, followed by a "no god" fad, and so on and so on.

You're right about that. It comes and goes.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Kerfluffer
Posts: 123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 6:48:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think you may have intended this thread to facetiously imitate "Why is this site infested with atheism?". Kudos.
That is impossible, unless BradK can see into the future.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 9:16:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/28/2014 6:48:54 AM, Kerfluffer wrote:
I think you may have intended this thread to facetiously imitate "Why is this site infested with atheism?". Kudos.
That is impossible, unless BradK can see into the future.

Yep, apparently this thread came first. Sorry, Brad, no kudos for you!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
black_88
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 3:33:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Religion shouldn't be debated. It can't be debated. Religious people change their minds only with violence, not with debate.

By violence, I don't mean necessarily physical violence, although it might prove useful sometimes (see below). By violence I mean dramatic occurrences that profoundly impact someone's life; things like:

- Cultural shock
- Witnessing death in a particularly unpleasant manner (of a loved one, of a lot of people as in genocide etc.)
- Acquisition of profound knowledge about the universe (physics seems to do the trick most of the time)
- A blow to the head (amnesia)

So yes, debating religion is meaningless - religion usually employs cunning tactics to create a resolute, vigilant mindset that doesn't really depend on logic, facts, etc. but on some "spiritual" acceptance of the religion's main tenets. And you can't change that with debate.

One more question remains. If I believe the above to be true, which I obviously do (I wrote it), then what on earth am I doing in the Religion Forum?
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 9:07:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Maybe cos it's the religion forum.

Just guessin' mind.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
BradK
Posts: 475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 1:40:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/28/2014 9:07:56 PM, bulproof wrote:
Maybe cos it's the religion forum.

Just guessin' mind.

well then maybe we don't need a religion section on a debate forum, as black_88 points out that religion can't really be debated. With christianity, the conclusion is dead simple... there's no evidence of some being whose power is too great to be measured, and whose intelligence is too great to be measured, and the being somehow exists only in places where we will never be able to detect him when we are alive. I mean that ends the debate right there, it's nonsense. If people want to discuss it online it should be religious forums not debate forums.