Jump to topic:

Why is this site infested with atheism?

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 12:10:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Every time I go to the front-page I see pictures of fedoras and trench-coats there.

Why is it so interesting to constantly debate a lack of belief?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 5:56:23 PM
At 7/27/2014 12:10:05 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Every time I go to the front-page I see pictures of fedoras and trench-coats there.

Because their level of knowledge of the sciences is too low for the science forum.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 6:17:15 PM
Self-Selection I think.

Atheists are generally concentrated in more intelligent circles (such as scientists), and I presume also on debating websites. Hence the greater-than-average number of atheists here.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 6:49:43 PM
A more serious response:

It's because religion offends our sensibilities as rational human beings. We want to help remove delusional belief systems around the world.

Some topical examples of the harm religion does:

- priests abusing their position of trust to rape and sodomise our young children and then, to compound the heinous crimes, being protected by their churches from retribution.

- after the MH17 crash, a Muslim cleric in Malaysia blamed the cause of disaster on the fact that the airline served alcohol and this was just retribution by Allah.

- in PNG, a high-ranking church official has told his congregation to throw away any HIV medication and pray for a cure instead.

- in Africa, thousands of wlmen are being denounced as witches, being raped and then burnt alive or dismembered, all facilitated by medieval religious beliefs.

- whilst still in Africa, tens of thousands are needlessly dying from AIDS because the church will not condone the use of condoms despite the proven ability to halt the spread of the virus.

Need I go on?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 7:01:41 PM
At 7/27/2014 6:49:43 PM, dee-em wrote:
A more serious response:

It's because religion offends our sensibilities as rational human beings. We want to help remove delusional belief systems around the world.

- priests abusing their position of trust to rape and sodomise our young children and then, to compound the heinous crimes, being protected by their churches from retribution.

That's Catholicism.

- after the MH17 crash, a Muslim cleric in Malaysia blamed the cause of disaster on the fact that the airline served alcohol and this was just retribution by Allah.

That's Islam.

- in PNG, a high-ranking church official has told his congregation to throw away any HIV medication and pray for a cure instead.

That's Holy-Rollerism.

- in Africa, thousands of wlmen are being denounced as witches, being raped and then burnt alive or dismembered, all facilitated by medieval religious beliefs.

No comment.

- whilst still in Africa, tens of thousands are needlessly dying from AIDS because the church will not condone the use of condoms despite the proven ability to halt the spread of the virus.

As far as I know, the church of Christ fully condones the use of condoms.

Need I go on?

Yes. You can totally do away with Catholicism, Islam, and Holy Rollerism as far as I'm concerned. We'll just take people who believe the Bible and see how that goes.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 7:03:10 PM

Response: Because atheism is by far, the most nonsensical belief that a person can think of. Saying that there is no God or a lack of evidence in God, is the most foolish claim. So foolish, that atheists themselves know it, but hold on to it anyway out of pride and ego. So in an effort to not sound so foolish, they gather together on religious forums, desperately trying to not only convince others that atheism is logical, but convince themselves. For even Ray Charles can see that there is a God.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 7:17:29 PM
At 7/27/2014 7:01:41 PM, annanicole wrote:

That's Catholicism.
That's Islam.
That's Holy-Rollerism.

The last I heard these were all religions, so my point in relation to the thread title still stands.

I wasn't referring to your own particular cult of Christianity, as you well know. Not everything is about you and your beliefs. Catholicism has over 1 billion adherents around the world. You can't simply pretend that it's a bastard child and disown it. It's the dominant brand of Christianity.

Yes. You can totally do away with Catholicism, Islam, and Holy Rollerism as far as I'm concerned. We'll just take people who believe the Bible and see how that goes.

Don't you see how small-minded this makes you sound? Everyone else is deluded but your own small sect of Christianity is not. How is it that others are so easily hoodwinked but you are immune?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 7:52:59 PM
At 7/27/2014 7:17:29 PM, dee-em wrote:

That's Catholicism.
That's Islam.
That's Holy-Rollerism.

The last I heard these were all religions, so my point in relation to the thread title still stands.

I wasn't referring to your own particular cult of Christianity, as you well know. Not everything is about you and your beliefs. Catholicism has over 1 billion adherents around the world. You can't simply pretend that it's a bastard child and disown it. It's the dominant brand of Christianity.

Come to think of it, Catholicism IS the bastard child of Christianity - although I've never heard it put that way. I fail to see why Christians in general should be held liable for the actions of people who do not even profess to follow the New Testament.

Don't you see how small-minded this makes you sound?

Everyone else is deluded but your own small sect of Christianity is not.

I do not have a "sect" of Christianity, nor am I the member of any sect.

How is it that others are so easily hoodwinked but you are immune?

There are millions of folks who are not hoodwinked. What makes you think that anyone and everyone who is a Christian has gone off and joined with some sect? Is there anything in the New Testament that makes you come to such a conclusion?
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 8:50:32 PM
A more serious response:

That's Catholicism.

That's Islam.

That's Holy-Rollerism.

No comment.

Need I go on?

Yes, let's do away with about 2.5 billion people.

What they think doesn't matter, right? True Scotsman on 2.5 billion people, I haven't seen that before.

They criticize religion, not your specific sect. And religion does all of the aforementioned things.
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 8:51:02 PM

I don't know, you tell me. Why is so interesting to constantly provoke atheists?
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 8:52:11 PM
At 7/27/2014 7:03:10 PM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: Because atheism is by far, the most nonsensical belief that a person can think of. Saying that there is no God or a lack of evidence in God, is the most foolish claim. So foolish, that atheists themselves know it, but hold on to it anyway out of pride and ego. So in an effort to not sound so foolish, they gather together on religious forums, desperately trying to not only convince others that atheism is logical, but convince themselves. For even Ray Charles can see that there is a God.

There is no evidence for God.

The only thing that comes close to evidence is the fine-tuning argument, but that can be debunked by several means.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 8:56:35 PM
At 7/27/2014 8:52:11 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
God.

The only thing that comes close to evidence is the fine-tuning argument, but that can be debunked by several means.

Response: The evidence for God is clear. We know so because non-choice cannot originate a repeating pattern, supported by your inability to draw a simple checkerboard without choice. As such, the repeating patterns in the universe and life itself originates from choice, proving God's existence.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 8:59:05 PM

There is no evidence for logical truths or mathematical proofs, but I'm sure you know that they are true.
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 8:59:30 PM
At 7/27/2014 8:56:35 PM, Fatihah wrote:
God.

Response: The evidence for God is clear. We know so because non-choice cannot originate a repeating pattern, supported by your inability to draw a simple checkerboard without choice. As such, the repeating patterns in the universe and life itself originates from choice, proving God's existence.

Really? Because the particles themselves that make up everything in the known universe are without choice. Those particles are what result in everything, therefore patterns are their doing. Therefore non-choice can result in patterns.

Are you done with that stupid analogy?
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:02:03 PM
At 7/27/2014 8:59:05 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

There is no evidence for logical truths or mathematical proofs, but I'm sure you know that they are true.

Because it's epistemologically necessary. I can't speak or even think without using logical truths. But I can certainly carry on fine thinking that God doesn't exist.

One way to think about it is that evidence includes that which is self-evidence. Or, if you're not a fundamentalist (I mean that epistemologically), evidence includes that which is epistemologically necessary, lest we become epistemologically paralyzed.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:05:44 PM
At 7/27/2014 8:59:30 PM, Hematite12 wrote:

Really? Because the particles themselves that make up everything in the known universe are without choice. Those particles are what result in everything, therefore patterns are their doing. Therefore non-choice can result in patterns.

Response: And by stating that non-choice originated repeating patterns in your examples, and at the same time, failing to draw a simple checkerboard without choice, that means that the evidence for non-choice contradicts. A contradiction of evidence is not proof. So you fail, leaving choice as the only option, proving God exist.

Are you done being exposed and debunked with that same flawed response?
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:09:08 PM
At 7/27/2014 9:05:44 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 7/27/2014 8:59:30 PM, Hematite12 wrote:

Response: And by stating that non-choice originated repeating patterns in your examples, and at the same time, failing to draw a simple checkerboard without choice, that means that the evidence for non-choice contradicts. A contradiction of evidence is not proof. So you fail, leaving choice as the only option, proving God exist.

I'm not stating anything, it is an obvious fact that even you cannot deny that particles lack choice, but they exhibit all of the order and repetition of chemistry.

A checkerboard isn't something that results without choice. But a checkerboard is also not representative of all order and repetition and pattern in the universe. I gave you an example where non-choice results in pattern. There happens to be a scenario where non-choice doesn't result in the specific pattern you want at the moment (i.e. the checkerboard), but clearly non-choice can result in patterns, just not the specific pattern you want arbitrarily.

Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:16:54 PM
At 7/27/2014 9:09:08 PM, Hematite12 wrote:

I'm not stating anything, it is an obvious fact that even you cannot deny that particles lack choice, but they exhibit all of the order and repetition of chemistry.

A checkerboard isn't something that results without choice. But a checkerboard is also not representative of all order and repetition and pattern in the universe. I gave you an example where non-choice results in pattern. There happens to be a scenario where non-choice doesn't result in the specific pattern you want at the moment (i.e. the checkerboard), but clearly non-choice can result in patterns, just not the specific pattern you want arbitrarily.

Response: Actually, you showed that choice is the reason why your examples results in repeating patterns, since the evidence for non-choice is a contradiction. Contradicting evidence is not proof. You cannot say logically that you have proof that non-choice works because you have examples, because according to such logic, non-choice does not work because there are examples of it not working. Your evidence contradicts. So it is flawed. Once again, showing that choice is the cause, proving God's existence.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 10:59:53 PM
At 7/27/2014 8:50:32 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
A more serious response:

That's Catholicism.

That's Islam.

That's Holy-Rollerism.

No comment.

Need I go on?

Yes, let's do away with about 2.5 billion people.

OK

What they think doesn't matter, right? True Scotsman on 2.5 billion people, I haven't seen that before.

What the Bible says = what matters to a Christian.

They criticize religion, not your specific sect. And religion does all of the aforementioned things.

Religion, yes. Christianity, no.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:09:33 PM
At 7/27/2014 8:56:35 PM, Fatihah wrote:
God.

Cuttlefish
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:13:10 PM
At 7/27/2014 10:59:53 PM, annanicole wrote:

Says who?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:15:12 PM

That's so funny coming from you.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:28:59 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:13:10 PM, bulproof wrote:

Says who?

Says Christians. Who else would be in a position to say?

And, by the way, what other alternative is there for a Christian? (That'll never be answered. NEVER.)
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:46:30 PM
At 7/27/2014 8:51:02 PM, Hematite12 wrote:

I don't know, you tell me. Why is so interesting to constantly provoke atheists?

I don't know, you tell me. Why is it so interesting to rant on and on about the fallacies of religion?
Ashton
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:46:46 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:28:59 PM, annanicole wrote:

Says who?

And, by the way, what other alternative is there for a Christian? (That'll never be answered. NEVER.)

So your god doesn't say?
Surely the alternative is that your god would order it, not Martin Luther.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:48:58 PM
Atheists are ignorant. They say "Prove to me God exists", and when you do, they're like, "You can't force your beliefs upon me, or "But there is no evidence for God", so basically it's a waste of time.
Ashton
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:55:44 PM
People of almost every religion are gathered with me laughing at this.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:57:18 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:48:58 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Atheists are ignorant. They say "Prove to me God exists", and when you do, they're like, "You can't force your beliefs upon me, or "But there is no evidence for God", so basically it's a waste of time.

Excuse me? I am an atheist. Am I ignorant for not sharing a belief in god? Couldn't I call non-believers of fairies ignorant for not seeing the evidence?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 11:59:35 PM
At 7/27/2014 11:46:46 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/27/2014 11:28:59 PM, annanicole wrote:

Says who?

So your god doesn't say?
Surely the alternative is that your god would order it, not Martin Luther.

(That'll never be answered. NEVER.)

Where do I sign up as a professional prophet?