Jump to topic:

Good in Religion

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 9:59:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I see all these threads and people talking about all the bad in religion - the bad verses or the bad things people have done in the name of religion, but what about the plethora of good? All the good verses that outnumber the bad?

The point of this thread is to promote positivity by posting insightful or good religious verses from any religion you adhere to or find interesting. I'll post a few to start it off:

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." - Buddha

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." - Jesus

"Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit there from." - Baha'u'llah

"Religion should unite all hearts and cause wars and disputes to vanish from the face of the earth; it should give birth to spirituality, and bring light and life to every soul. If religion becomes a cause of dislike, hatred and division, it would be better to be without it... Any religion which is not a cause of love and unity is no religion." - Abdu'l-Baha

Please, continue posting positive or thoughtful quotes. Hopefully, enlightened discussion can arise from such verses and, instead of dwelling in negativity, fear, and hate, we can instead bask in the glory that all religions have to offer.
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 12:37:42 AM
Psalms 1:1-2
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 9:11:34 AM
"It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad, and it is better still to sit with the good than alone. It is better to speak to a seeker of knowledge than to remain silent, but silence is better than idle words." - Muhammad
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 10:41:38 AM
Smash the babies heads against rocks. Rip open the stomachs of pregnant women and rip the baby from them.

Go and find something that makes that better.

You people are soft cocks.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 4:48:30 PM
At 7/29/2014 10:41:38 AM, bulproof wrote:
Smash the babies heads against rocks. Rip open the stomachs of pregnant women and rip the baby from them.

"Please, continue posting positive or thoughtful quotes."

You have a demented view of what is positive and thoughtful.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 5:04:51 PM
"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?" - Buddha
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:15:06 PM
"Be fair in thy judgment, and guarded in thy speech. Be unjust to no man, and show all meekness to all men. Be as a lamp unto them that walk in darkness, a joy to the sorrowful, a sea for the thirsty, a haven for the distressed, an upholder and defender of the victim of oppression. Let integrity and uprightness distinguish all thine acts." - Baha'u'llah
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 1:09:34 AM

Not a great contribution or intelligent analysis of what was said.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:21:07 AM
At 8/1/2014 1:09:34 AM, Wylted wrote:

Bulproof is just your typical drive-by poster. He has never debated anyone, he just comes in to ridicule people over tiny errors in what they say.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:24:22 AM
At 8/1/2014 10:21:07 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Bulproof is just your typical drive-by poster. He has never debated anyone, he just comes in to ridicule people over tiny errors in what they say.

I've noticed. We should all relentlessly bully him, until he stops being a drive by poster.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:28:07 AM
At 8/1/2014 10:24:22 AM, Wylted wrote:

I've noticed. We should all relentlessly bully him, until he stops being a drive by poster.

I find just ignoring him works better.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:29:22 AM

No wait! really wait! are you gonna bully me? Seriously?

Fuk you are dumb.

But have at it.

Don't cry please.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:32:23 AM
At 8/1/2014 10:28:07 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

I find just ignoring him works better.

I can't do it alone but if we're all relentless we can bully him off the site, and then move on to other drive by posters and people who contribute nothing.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 9:22:16 PM
I like some of these

1 Corinthians 1
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Philippians 2
2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Romans 15
1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not please ourselves.

2 Let everyone of us please his neighbor for his good to edification.

3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.

4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

7 Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.

Ephesians 4
1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye were called.

2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 3:55:30 PM
At 8/1/2014 9:22:16 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
I like some of these

1 Corinthians 1
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

I like this message. It promotes unity, which is something I strongly believe is what humanity needs.

Romans 15
1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not please ourselves.

This is also a nice verse. Greed and indifference toward those with less advantages than us are problems that definitely need to be addressed.

Thank you for your contributions.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 6:13:57 PM
At 8/2/2014 3:55:30 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
I like some of these

1 Corinthians 1

I like this message. It promotes unity, which is something I strongly believe is what humanity needs.

Romans 15

This is also a nice verse. Greed and indifference toward those with less advantages than us are problems that definitely need to be addressed.

Thank you for your contributions.

Nah, thank you :)
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 9:50:20 PM
Muhhamed peace be upom him:

Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever hath not kindness hath not faith.

None of you will believe until you love for your brother what you love for yourself.
Never fart near dog
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 9:07:19 PM
At 7/28/2014 9:59:49 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
I see all these threads and people talking about all the bad in religion - the bad verses or the bad things people have done in the name of religion, but what about the plethora of good? All the good verses that outnumber the bad?

The point of this thread is to promote positivity by posting insightful or good religious verses from any religion you adhere to or find interesting. I'll post a few to start it off:

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." - Buddha

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." - Jesus

"Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit there from." - Baha'u'llah

"Religion should unite all hearts and cause wars and disputes to vanish from the face of the earth; it should give birth to spirituality, and bring light and life to every soul. If religion becomes a cause of dislike, hatred and division, it would be better to be without it... Any religion which is not a cause of love and unity is no religion." - Abdu'l-Baha

Please, continue posting positive or thoughtful quotes. Hopefully, enlightened discussion can arise from such verses and, instead of dwelling in negativity, fear, and hate, we can instead bask in the glory that all religions have to offer.

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

God is the Creator of ALL things, even good and evil.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 9:48:44 PM

Back at that time, what could've been done to get the pregnant women done from the babies? These people didn't know back then because we don't have modern science. And last I checked, muslims were responsible for things like Algebra and Arithmetic. The interpretation back then was insanity.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 9:50:39 PM
I like some of these

1 Corinthians 1

Philippians 2
2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Romans 15

2 Let everyone of us please his neighbor for his good to edification.

3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.

4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

7 Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.

Ephesians 4
1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye were called.

2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

What is your opinion on the non Christian quotes, that Chaos gave earlier?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 9:57:40 PM
At 8/3/2014 9:50:20 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

None of you will believe until you love for your brother what you love for yourself.

I love this, especially the second line. The golden rule is present in all the major world religions, which is something I've always found rather interesting.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:01:40 PM
At 8/4/2014 9:07:19 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Indeed he is. Although, I interpret these slightly differently, though in a very similar fashion.

Darkness cannot exist without there being light. Evil cannot exist without there being peace. Once one is created the other is absolutely necessary. For how can you know health if there is no sickness?

Once God created good, the absence of it was thus also created as a counter part, so to speak.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:02:32 PM
At 7/29/2014 12:37:42 AM, LostintheEcho1498 wrote:
Psalms 1:1-2
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Sorry, it seems I didn't notice this for some reason, but thank you for your contributions.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 8:20:29 AM
At 8/4/2014 10:01:40 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 8/4/2014 9:07:19 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Deuteronomy 32

Indeed he is. Although, I interpret these slightly differently, though in a very similar fashion.

Darkness cannot exist without there being light. Evil cannot exist without there being peace. Once one is created the other is absolutely necessary. For how can you know health if there is no sickness?

Once God created good, the absence of it was thus also created as a counter part, so to speak.

There won't be any evil, sickness, decay, wars, darkness, death in the next age so your interpretation of life is false. God built the tree of the knowledge of good and evil ( the observed world we live in today ) to totally deceive man from knowing who he is. This is the contrast He needed in order to connect to His invisible servant ( His creation ) and teach us who we are in Him.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 11:04:26 AM
At 8/5/2014 8:20:29 AM, bornofgod wrote:

There won't be any evil, sickness, decay, wars, darkness, death in the next age so your interpretation of life is false. God built the tree of the knowledge of good and evil ( the observed world we live in today ) to totally deceive man from knowing who he is. This is the contrast He needed in order to connect to His invisible servant ( His creation ) and teach us who we are in Him.

What is the next age? Do you mean the next age of humanity, or the next world we travel to?
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 11:27:15 AM
At 7/28/2014 9:59:49 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Good done in the name of something false does not turn falsehood into truth. Moreover, that concentration on the evil done in the name of religion stems not from the fact that evil done in the name of religion makes religion false, but that it DOES contradict the religious assumption that morality comes from religion. If religion were the SOURCE of morality, it would be the last place from which evil should come forth. At the very least, the religious should be the LEAST guilty of all of the heinous acts humans commit. As it stands, it is the LARGEST source of virulence and hatred, in human history. Have you noticed what is happening in Gaza, lately? Care to tell me that all that death is, somehow, the fault of atheism?
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 11:34:01 AM
At 8/3/2014 9:50:20 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

So Muhammed would love nine-year-old girls for all of his brothers? What if a man has no interest in de-flowering children?
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 11:43:23 AM
At 8/4/2014 9:48:44 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Back at that time, what could've been done to get the pregnant women done from the babies? These people didn't know back then because we don't have modern science. And last I checked, muslims were responsible for things like Algebra and Arithmetic. The interpretation back then was insanity.

First, algebra has been traced back to the Babylonians (long before 'muslims.') Religion is not responsible for mathematics; people are. The word, itself, is of Arabic origin, but not (again) the religion. And "athithmetic" was around for as long as humans have been 'counting' anything.

None of the above has anything to do with the moral implications of ripping an unborn child from its mother's womb...
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 11:49:42 AM
At 8/5/2014 11:43:23 AM, irreverent_god wrote:
At 8/4/2014 9:48:44 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

First, algebra has been traced back to the Babylonians (long before 'muslims.') Religion is not responsible for mathematics; people are. The word, itself, is of Arabic origin, but not (again) the religion. And "athithmetic" was around for as long as humans have been 'counting' anything.

None of the above has anything to do with the moral implications of ripping an unborn child from its mother's womb...

I agree, didn't do much research on the arithmetic part, but can you explain a society back then that was able to accurately remove the baby like we do today?