Jump to topic:

What is the content of Christianity?

ATHOS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:57:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
To Christians, consider this: The logical problem of evil. http://plato.stanford.edu...
Logically speaking there is no reason to believe God exists.
For the purpose of this question lets assume god does not exist:
When a christian (or anyone else) condemns, threatens or warns, another person about being punished in hell, what is being expressed on a psychological level, what is being shared?
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 5:00:11 AM
At 7/30/2014 8:57:23 AM, ATHOS wrote:
To Christians, consider this: The logical problem of evil. http://plato.stanford.edu...
When a christian (or anyone else) condemns, threatens or warns, another person about being punished in hell, what is being expressed on a psychological level, what is being shared?

I shall choose Point 6 as a conclusion derived from points 2,4,5 in this article as my first contention. The issue under contention here is that God gave humanity free will to decide between good and evil. He may desire for all evil to be gone, but He also desires for his people to come to him willingly, and so He must allow evil to exist.
Not to say that God does not have power over evil, but because He created free will, evil is a byproduct of that. After all, free will without choice is hardly free at all.
As a conclusion to this point, God did create a perfect world with no evil in it. It is a reward for those who actively choose correctly between Him and evil.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
ATHOS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 11:52:19 PM
At 8/1/2014 5:00:11 AM, Arasa wrote:

I shall choose Point 6 as a conclusion derived from points 2,4,5 in this article as my first contention. The issue under contention here is that God gave humanity free will to decide between good and evil. He may desire for all evil to be gone, but He also desires for his people to come to him willingly, and so He must allow evil to exist.
Not to say that God does not have power over evil, but because He created free will, evil is a byproduct of that. After all, free will without choice is hardly free at all.
As a conclusion to this point, God did create a perfect world with no evil in it. It is a reward for those who actively choose correctly between Him and evil.

That's not answering the question:
'When a christian (or anyone else) condemns, threatens or warns, another person about being punished in hell, what is being expressed on a psychological level, what is being shared?'
What can be expected from insane premises except an insane conclusion? The way to undo an insane conclusion is to consider the sanity of the premises on which it rests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How long will contradiction stand when its impossible nature is clearly revealed?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 1:42:52 AM
At 8/3/2014 11:52:19 PM, ATHOS wrote:

'When a christian (or anyone else) condemns, threatens or warns, another person about being punished in hell, what is being expressed on a psychological level, what is being shared?'
The question may not be that clear.

The question appears to be a suggestion that unwarranted warnings in regards to eternal punishment mandated by God (who in your scenario doesn't exist) is harmful to the psychological welfare of society. This however would open the door to many avenues of considerations to be taken. I could get into those, but don't want to go off topic as you seem very focused on your question being answered properly.

I do think your question needs expounding on a bit though.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 8:52:17 AM

No, you just don"t believe those who believe there is a Creator and Judge of all things. If you where to experience what you believe would or should be a Creator and Judge, then you would most assuredly believe.

So it"s you that has no reason to believe, might be more accurate, but that doesn"t mean, nor prove that others have no reason to believe, does it?

It"s human nature to cleave to one thing in fear of another, and in many cases hell and the torment taught by religions is something to be feared and can be used to promote following.

But in the case of true Christianity there is the love to be in the Light, and the fear of being separated from the Light.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 9:00:04 AM
"As a conclusion to this point, God did create a perfect world with no evil in it. It is a reward for those who actively choose correctly between Him and evil."

As a Celestial Torah Christian I have to take exception to this Pauline Christian doctrine. Would any thinking person want to go to a heaven where there is "no evil in it"? I mean really, thinking people would be bored silly in two minutes in such a world where everything is "perfect". Only by things going wrong do we learn anything, you need to know that. Evolution is based on things going wrong and needing fixing. I chose the Jewish vision of a World To Come over that "perfect" heaven of crystals and jewels and golden thrown and singing praises to the Lord 24/7. What a boring place that would be without human community and its problems of life..
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 9:14:21 AM

Hate for mankind and themselves. They have no idea who they are in God.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 9:46:04 AM
At 8/4/2014 9:00:04 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
"As a conclusion to this point, God did create a perfect world with no evil in it. It is a reward for those who actively choose correctly between Him and evil."

As a Celestial Torah Christian I have to take exception to this Pauline Christian doctrine.

There you have it: Stephen Michael Lewis knows more about it than the Apostle Paul.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:12:28 AM

Men glory in their choices, and the ability to do so, but who glories in submitting to, God"s choice for mankind? How can men see and choose what is good for himself if he is the created? It is the Creator that knows what is good for His created. Therefore man"s choice results in evil and nothing is more evil for one"s self then death, but God"s choice for man is Life.

It is man that has invited that which is evil into the world by his own choice to go by his own judgement of what is good and evil for himself. And what is evil is contrary to that which has given life to man which is the Word of the Creator and Judge, who"s Judgement is Life.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:32:25 AM

As a Celestial Torah Christian I have to take exception to this Pauline Christian doctrine. Would any thinking person want to go to a heaven where there is "no evil in it"? I mean really, thinking people would be bored silly in two minutes in such a world where everything is "perfect". Only by things going wrong do we learn anything, you need to know that. Evolution is based on things going wrong and needing fixing. I chose the Jewish vision of a World To Come over that "perfect" heaven of crystals and jewels and golden thrown and singing praises to the Lord 24/7. What a boring place that would be without human community and its problems of life..

Well, if you read the Torah you would know that evolution has nothing to do with the Lord God of Israel. The Creator and Judge, the God of Israel isn"t based on man"s way of thinking.

It seems that what you like to, or want to think and think about is unacceptable in God"s Presence. Because you don"t want to think as those who are a part of the Kingdom of God.
So it stands to reason that you have convinced yourself that what you think is better than what the Lord thinks. Which is what the Apostle Paul expressed in his writings.

Back when the scriptures where first translated into English the word "perfect" was used to describe, fulfilled, complete, or completed. So if fulfillment in the Lord Jesus Christ is distasteful to you, then your, self proclaimed belief in Christianity isn"t real or of any trustworthy attention.

To be sanctified is to be separate, separated from. And in the case of Christianity the belief itself separates one from the world because its not of the world. But what you have expressed is of the world and the two don"t mix.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:49:03 AM

To add to DP Martin's post, the idea of singing praises to the Lord 24/7 is not naturally appealing to man. What is interesting is that some other religious references to Heaven include natural earthly and sensual pleasures like sexual activity and with multiple partners, and becoming a god. Not only are these specifics I mentioned not promised (or not mentioned), but is made clear will not happen in Heaven.

The idea of removing complete focus from self is a hard enough concept on temporary earth let alone throughout eternity. I would say the idea of praising God 24/7 can only appeal to someone completely in love with God. The more one loves God, the more appealing this type of Heaven would sound.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 4:30:31 PM
At 8/3/2014 11:52:19 PM, ATHOS wrote:

Ahh yes, forgive my absent-mindedness. That was more of a response to the premise on which the entire article flowed. In answer to your question, I don't think anyone should bash non-theists about them going to hell. In fact, you can throw my name into the fold when rebuking those people who so rashly assault non-theists and even non-christians. Not to say that the bible doesn't say that, or that God doesn't say that. In all accounts, we really can't say whether someone is going to hell or not, because even we Christians sometimes underestimate the power of God's forgiveness. However, for God to say that someone is going to hell, that would mean that the person in question undeniably IS. As for us interpreting whether someone may be going to hell or not based on the information found in the bible, we cannot afford to undervalue the potency of God's own forgiving heart, which is a massive theme in the New Testament as well as the old. However, the Old Testament tends to focus on the forgiveness that will come, not necessarily that it has already come. The Old Testament is odd in that respect.

P.S. I apologize for the untimeliness of my response, I have been traveling for the last few days through a country that is not keen on wifi

celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:20:02 PM
At 8/4/2014 9:46:04 AM, annanicole wrote:

As a Celestial Torah Christian I have to take exception to this Pauline Christian doctrine.

There you have it: Stephen Michael Lewis knows more about it than the Apostle Paul.

Stephen Ariel Lewis, little jealous woman without brains in her head but lot's of bile for the prophesy bearer who, yes, is real, has a real name, real address, real people know him, and REAL PEOPLE saw what he did to prove his spiritual authority from God. "Paul", what a joke. Who are the "Pauls", anna-troll who trolls after me when I post? Give us a Paul who is recorded in history outside the New Testament. Even your bible scholars who do your intellectual thinking for you do not know the identity of the "Paul" authors but do know that there were more than one. And that's all an intelligent person needs to know to make a judgment call on phony Pauline doctrines authored by who know who but paraded and taught as if Christians should not have to have truth in their Scriptures, religious lies and liars perfectly acceptable.

Not for Celestial Torah Christianity. Which beats Paul's theology all to hell because hell is where Paul wanted to send Christians who didn't obey him in typical religious fascist pollution of God's messages to humanity. You stick with Paul, annabanana, and go down the historical tubes with him and the rest of Bible centered believers who are now left with nothing but religious propaganda to shore up Bible beliefs based on fictitious events and characters. Celestial Torah Christianity will never suffer the fate of historical discovery undermining all the Abrahamic religions by exposing the roots as Jewish myths of origin and only that.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:30:18 PM
The O.P. wants us to think "Christianity" is one uniform religious belief system when it isn't at all. Early Christian traditions show a remarkable variety of beliefs held by groups identifying themselves as followers of the Christ. The followers of the Paul school of Christianity which aimed itself at acceptance by Rome got their wish and Pauline Christianity became the Christianity the world knows as no other Christian groups could do anything against Rome except flee for the hills once Rome was behind the Paulists who promptly branded all other Christian pathways heretical and illegal. Gnostics fled to Egypt where Christianity was born. I am of the Gnostic Christian tradition and Celestial Torah Christianity is a modern form of Gnosis of God even though it is based on the world's oldest religious awareness seen in the first human made figurines.

Pauline Christianity is headed for its End Times along with Judaism and Muhammadism as all these are based on Bible beliefs and stories of ancient men and events that never happened. Without truth in Bible stories where is the spiritual authority? That's why God is giving the world a new Christianity that is based on truth all the way through and not on man-made religious doctrines. Celestial Torah Christianity at: http://biomystic.org...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 11:32:34 PM
At 8/4/2014 10:20:02 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

Stephen Ariel Lewis, little jealous woman without brains in her head but lot's of bile for the prophesy bearer who, yes, is real, has a real name, real address, real people know him ....

Oh, really? Did you change your name?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Dr_Obvious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 9:08:31 AM
At 8/4/2014 10:12:28 AM, DPMartin wrote:

Men glory in their choices, and the ability to do so, but who glories in submitting to, God"s choice for mankind? How can men see and choose what is good for himself if he is the created? It is the Creator that knows what is good for His created. Therefore man"s choice results in evil and nothing is more evil for one"s self then death, but God"s choice for man is Life.

It is man that has invited that which is evil into the world by his own choice to go by his own judgement of what is good and evil for himself. And what is evil is contrary to that which has given life to man which is the Word of the Creator and Judge, who"s Judgement is Life.

I couldn't have said it better myself. BRAVO!
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 11:16:59 PM
At 8/4/2014 11:32:34 PM, annanicole wrote:

Stephen Ariel Lewis, little jealous woman without brains in her head but lot's of bile for the prophesy bearer who, yes, is real, has a real name, real address, real people know him ....

Nope. It's the same name as on my ministry licence that hangs on my wall. That is my official name as a minister since 1983. Annabanana- debunked as usual..
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 11:33:43 PM
At 8/5/2014 11:16:59 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

Nope. It's the same name as on my ministry licence that hangs on my wall. That is my official name as a minister since 1983. Annabanana- debunked as usual..

Your own website is the one that's debunked.

From http://biomystic.org...

The very first line: "The visions, revelations, thoughts and works of Stephen Michael Lewis, part-time polymath prophet-at-large"

Then, pray tell, who is this retard named Stephen Michael Lewis? Somebody apparently had that name well after 1983. Who dat be?
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 1:21:56 AM

There are multitudes of people who sincerely believe they are Christians, but they know nothing about Christ or what he actually accomplished.

When those people warn others of Hell, they are expressing their own fears of judgment, and in some cases, a concern for others.

They think that there's something they must do as penance, or to add to the redemption that Christ came to obtain.

But when real Christians do it, they're not worried about themselves, they are only concerned about others.

Real Christians are CONFIDENT that Christ ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISHED their redemption, and they don't need to add to what Christ has done.

There is a whole world of difference between mere false professors and those who actually know Jesus Christ.

False professors are motivated by fear, and/or legalism.
Real Christians are motivated by God's free grace.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 3:38:25 PM
At 8/6/2014 1:21:56 AM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

There are multitudes of people who sincerely believe they are Christians, but they know nothing about Christ or what he actually accomplished.

When those people warn others of Hell, they are expressing their own fears of judgment, and in some cases, a concern for others.

They think that there's something they must do as penance, or to add to the redemption that Christ came to obtain.

But when real Christians do it, they're not worried about themselves, they are only concerned about others.

Real Christians are CONFIDENT that Christ ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISHED their redemption, and they don't need to add to what Christ has done.

There is a whole world of difference between mere false professors and those who actually know Jesus Christ.

False professors are motivated by fear, and/or legalism.
Real Christians are motivated by God's free grace.

Well said
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 3:56:02 PM
At 8/5/2014 11:33:43 PM, annanicole wrote:

The very first line: "The visions, revelations, thoughts and works of Stephen Michael Lewis, part-time polymath prophet-at-large"

Then, pray tell, who is this retard named Stephen Michael Lewis? Somebody apparently had that name well after 1983. Who dat be?

My dearest jealous envious Troll, anna, is again showing her zeal in troll-worthy seeking any ammunition she thinks she can find to offset my crushing her Bible Authority poseuring by merely pointing out the Bible is utter mythology that she still thinks is real history. She can't take that information that comes from science of archeology so she attacks the Messenger of it because her whole facade as critic of everyone else's bible knowledge falls to pieces when the Bible itself is totally unreliable religious propaganda.

So you can again reason, anna, please note, I have a legal name and a ministry name. I use my ministry name strictly for religious teaching purposes but as anyone but you apparently can see my website contains much more than my book containing my religious teachings. Because you are ignorant of Jewish esoterica and do not know the spiritual meanings in the name "Ariel" you don't know it's really not a name at all but a title. So once again, you're debunked as usual because silly little woman let's her anger run her brain around in circles chasing real spiritual authority she'll never have and hate's like hell seeing me have it, recognized by top religious leaders too, including the Archbishop of the Holy Land Dioceses, the head Catholic priest of all the Nazareth Catholic churches, tribal leaders and hundreds of people who have witnessed what real religion looks like, and not the phony baloney anna represents Pauline Christianity that is fast on its way into history where dead religions are kept in storage.
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 4:50:39 PM
At 8/6/2014 3:56:02 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

My dearest jealous envious Troll, anna, is again showing her zeal in troll-worthy seeking any ammunition she thinks she can find to offset my crushing her Bible Authority poseuring by merely pointing out the Bible is utter mythology that she still thinks is real history. She can't take that information that comes from science of archeology so she attacks the Messenger of it because her whole facade as critic of everyone else's bible knowledge falls to pieces when the Bible itself is totally unreliable religious propaganda.

So you can again reason, anna, please note, I have a legal name and a ministry name. I use my ministry name strictly for religious teaching purposes but as anyone but you apparently can see my website contains much more than my book containing my religious teachings. Because you are ignorant of Jewish esoterica and do not know the spiritual meanings in the name "Ariel" you don't know it's really not a name at all but a title. So once again, you're debunked as usual because silly little woman let's her anger run her brain around in circles chasing real spiritual authority she'll never have and hate's like hell seeing me have it, recognized by top religious leaders too, including the Archbishop of the Holy Land Dioceses, the head Catholic priest of all the Nazareth Catholic churches, tribal leaders and hundreds of people who have witnessed what real religion looks like, and not the phony baloney anna represents Pauline Christianity that is fast on its way into history where dead religions are kept in storage.

Actually, she doesn't represent Pauline Christianity at all.

She's in some kind of weird sect. Possibly the "Campbellites."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 6:04:11 PM
At 8/6/2014 3:56:02 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

So you can again reason, anna, please note, I have a legal name and a ministry name. I use my ministry name strictly for religious teaching purposes but as anyone but you apparently can see my website contains much more than my book containing my religious teachings. Because you are ignorant of Jewish esoterica and do not know the spiritual meanings in the name "Ariel" you don't know it's really not a name at all but a title. So once again, you're debunked as usual ......

Debunked? All you've done is proved, once again, that you are a lunatic.

My dearest jealous envious Troll, anna

Listen, I think Charles Manson is crazy, too. Does that also mean that I'm jealous/envious of him?
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 8:39:01 PM
What it means, troll anna, is you are nothing but a little jealous woman whose beliefs are passe and you can't stand being told that fact. You can't stand me having been honored by the Archbishop of the Holy Land Dioceses, you can't stand the head priests in Nazareth honoring me, you can't stand real spiritual work while you do doo doo postings trashing others while ignoring the glaring faults of your own mistaken ideology and reliance on rubbish religious propaganda. Your day is gone, anna, never to return to any thinking person who has followed the archeology of the ancient Hebrew authors of the Bible stories.

All you got is name-calling now, isn't anna. Call me names all day long and still at the end of the day you're a phony Christian and I'm a real prophesy bearer with a track record to prove it. You have nothing. I have everything. You're just jealous of me and lash out out of anger and spite but it does you no good as you can see, nobody takes you seriously here now that bornagain and madcornish aren't accompanying you as fellow trolls drumming out their ignorant baloney, all of you Gentiles trying to interpret our Jewish scriptures without any knowledge of the roots of them.

I do feel sorry for you that you're all alone in your beliefs as it must be hard to see that your beliefs can't counter facts in the ground overturning them from beginning to end.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 10:20:53 PM
Annanicole. I want you to grow up now and stop stalking me whenever I post. Your troll behavior is not worthy of Debate membership as you obviously are operating from a grudge against me. This isn't the place to carry out grudges against those whose beliefs differ from yours. Just because you're unable to defend you beliefs rationally you don't need to go overboard stalking and slandering me because my beliefs are recognized by important people and yours are not. And you're jealous. Grow up, little woman.