Jump to topic:

Another Example

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:10:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay here is another attempt to express my issue with faith as it is presented by the minority of believers here.

Imagine you are a pupil in a school. The curriculum is not very stimulating, it concerntrates on the rote learning of a large quantity of stuff. As long as you put the effort in you will pass the exams. You really want to pass the exams as your evil step dad has promised to blow your head off with a shotgun should you fail.

On the eve of the exams the schools principal, head master, obergruppenfuhrer etc announces that only exam papers from pupils wearing the correct hat will be accepted... all other papers will be shredded and their authors will fail to graduate (and lets assume that it is an insane system whereby his whims are law).

You therefore desire to wear the correct hat. There are thousands, even millions of different hats and your headmaster refuses to elaborate further!

What do you do?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2010 10:59:36 AM
Well the obvious answer is to not wear any hat and have no chance whatsoever of passing the test.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 2:56:09 AM
Oh where are all the Christians on this board.
It seems as if they have gone abroad.
What backward land has no net.
Upon which online they could get.
I crave for a Mormon a Hindu or a Jew.
Just someone able to express a contrary point of view.
Just one person, an argument for faith to make.
Why can't they do this for God's sake?
Why do they believe with passionate fervour,
Yet when asked to explain flee with God-fearing terror.
Just one man, woman or neuter who believes in the divine,
Would make this forum utterly fine.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 3:15:45 AM
At 3/5/2010 10:10:09 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Okay here is another attempt to express my issue with faith as it is presented by the minority of believers here.

Imagine you are a pupil in a school. The curriculum is not very stimulating, it concerntrates on the rote learning of a large quantity of stuff. As long as you put the effort in you will pass the exams. You really want to pass the exams as your evil step dad has promised to blow your head off with a shotgun should you fail.

On the eve of the exams the schools principal, head master, obergruppenfuhrer etc announces that only exam papers from pupils wearing the correct hat will be accepted... all other papers will be shredded and their authors will fail to graduate (and lets assume that it is an insane system whereby his whims are law).

You therefore desire to wear the correct hat. There are thousands, even millions of different hats and your headmaster refuses to elaborate further!

What do you do?

Rarely is the approach where one sits down and chooses the hat. One is generally introduced to a minor sample and personal experience determines which hat actually fits. Not all hats lead to punishment either. ;P
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 9:57:24 AM
At 3/5/2010 10:59:36 AM, Reasoning wrote:
Well the obvious answer is to not wear any hat and have no chance whatsoever of passing the test.

You know that by correct hat he does not mean no hat at all?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 10:36:33 AM
At 3/8/2010 10:32:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Is this some kind of metaphor expressing that only certain people will go to heaven while everybody else will be damned?

It's some kind of metaphor expressing, not only that, but that each religion claims itself to be the exception, and there is nothing objective to figure out which is right.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
CrappyDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 10:40:28 AM
At 3/8/2010 2:56:09 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Nice Poem, I answered you, and I'm a Christian.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 11:45:34 AM
At 3/8/2010 10:36:33 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/8/2010 10:32:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Is this some kind of metaphor expressing that only certain people will go to heaven while everybody else will be damned?

It's some kind of metaphor expressing, not only that, but that each religion claims itself to be the exception, and there is nothing objective to figure out which is right.

Pretty much, it's my ongoing theme.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 11:46:47 AM
At 3/8/2010 10:40:28 AM, CrappyDebater wrote:
At 3/8/2010 2:56:09 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Nice Poem,

Thanks.

I answered you,

Not really.

and I'm a Christian.

Doubtful.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 1:15:29 PM
: At 3/5/2010 10:31:12 AM, CrappyDebater wrote:
Become an Atheist.

No, don't become an atheist, that would be like walking in without a hat.

Christianity is like the headmaster coming up to you personally and saying, "Here this is the hat which is the right one to wear, it is the only right hat also, so trust in me that this is the right one." The school boy could choose to bring his own hat along or choose to accept the hat, but it would be fun deciding which hat to wear of course, so the choice of accepting the hat or choosing your own one would be a tough choice.

You would be wanting to fail your exam if you were to choose your own hat to bring along, but if you accepted the headmasters offer, you would be wise.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 1:26:51 PM
At 3/8/2010 1:15:29 PM, GodSands wrote:
Become an Atheist.

Christianity is like the headmaster coming up to you personally and saying, "Here this is the hat which is the right one to wear, it is the only right hat also, so trust in me that this is the right one."

And behind him is all his friends raising their hand for their turn with the exact same message.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 1:46:22 PM
: At 3/8/2010 1:26:51 PM, Puck wrote:
Become an Atheist.

Christianity is like the headmaster coming up to you personally and saying, "Here this is the hat which is the right one to wear, it is the only right hat also, so trust in me that this is the right one."

And behind him is all his friends raising their hand for their turn with the exact same message.

Yeah good point, thank you, you spotted a flaw. The headmaster says to everyone, "This hat here is the one which you will need to sit the exam. Come see me afterwards. If you want it to wear tomorrow, other wise you will not sit the exam." So they have to decide to accept the headmasters offer or not, again it would be fun to pick your own hat with your friends. It would also be cool to be a little rebble and come into the exam without a silly hat, to see if you get away with it, thinking that the head master isn't serious. (Atheist).

Even more so the headmaster says, "To bring any other hat would be aburd, come to me and gat the right hat. I have given up much time and effort to get all you a hat, but if you do not come a collet one before the exam, I will surely burn them all as well as your papers."
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 2:52:09 PM
At 3/8/2010 1:26:51 PM, Puck wrote:
Become an Atheist.

Not necessaraly, I give you a different one. The secret is that it does not really matter what hat you where, the only thing you are being tested on is how you where it. like a ball cap thats strait foward as opposed to being backwards or to the side.
I understand you mean the different hats to be different religions. So do I. the way you where it though, thats how much you live with a very generic term that applies to all religons, and that is love. like big and rich have written on all there stuff 'Love Everybody' If you succead in that then I dont think its going to far to say that you have accepted christ on spiritual level, but even though you dont mentaly accept that. that kind of the reverse of what some christians complain about 'fake christians' having only mentally accapted and not accapted in the heart.

Plus when it comes to knowing how the school master is going to grade the papers, all methods are purly rumors, none of the students truely know exactly how its going to work. some of them could be write, but it will be by accident.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
KafkianRoach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 7:58:48 PM
The obvious answer would be to wear all them, it may not be practical, but at least by odds alone, you'd have the right hat.

I'd however, would bite the stepfather's bullet, and walk in wearing a rather snazzy fedore, with a black button on the side, with scarlet A. Then spend the entire exam time, doodling the invisible pink unicorn on the piece of paper, .. mainly due to my disdain for the school's education. (Which would probably mark me as a nihilist in this metaphor.)

I'd hopefully like to defunct to college, but that's probably wearing the buddhist hat, and finding that they noticed and were sympathic.
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 8:22:03 PM

What do you do?

Your comparison is flawed. God doesn't hate us and desires us to be like unto his perfect son for our good. He also did tell us how. Read the new testament and you will see. (the old king james version).

We might not be perfect but perfection is not required, just faith in him rather than ourselves.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2010 8:23:29 PM
of course as a narsisst, you can't stop relying on your self and trust God, so frankly, you won't listen to me. (or so your screen name suggests)
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 4:06:16 AM
At 3/8/2010 12:54:31 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
you were expecting Godsands or Datc?

I was expecting them and you to ignore this thread, or to reply with glib evasion.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 4:08:41 AM
Become an Atheist.

Christianity is like the headmaster coming up to you personally and saying, "Here this is the hat which is the right one to wear, it is the only right hat also, so trust in me that this is the right one." The school boy could choose to bring his own hat along or choose to accept the hat, but it would be fun deciding which hat to wear of course, so the choice of accepting the hat or choosing your own one would be a tough choice.

You would be wanting to fail your exam if you were to choose your own hat to bring along, but if you accepted the headmasters offer, you would be wise.

Please read the original post.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 4:10:18 AM
At 3/8/2010 8:22:03 PM, resolutionsmasher wrote:

What do you do?

Your comparison is flawed. God doesn't hate us and desires us to be like unto his perfect son for our good. He also did tell us how. Read the new testament and you will see. (the old king james version).

That would be a hat choice, you have failed to understand the analogy!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 4:12:24 AM
At 3/8/2010 8:23:29 PM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
of course as a narsisst, you can't stop relying on your self and trust God, so frankly, you won't listen to me. (or so your screen name suggests)

A bit of a pathetic response, I could have any number of reasons for my screen name. It could be an accurate description of myself of a false one.

Your screen name implies a certain degree of egotism, so I could conclude that you lack the humility of christ and use this to evaluate your posts in the future. But I won't because I am above that.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 5:29:53 AM
At 3/9/2010 4:12:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
because I am above that.

Again with the narcissism
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 6:08:08 AM
Thanks to all who rewarded this filty gibberish , with a response..!
Its amaizing how one could phantom a father to blow his kids head off"..! This explains why some hate peacefull. Agenda's and lust hate cults who similarly honor kill their kids...!!

Its amaizing to see the ones who fake their hate to a set of values condemning hate vilance murder ,and act that's their hate is a scientific persue..! Their hate gives them in..! Cuasing them to unmask their hiden lust to scenes of fathers blowing up their kids head..!!
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 6:17:33 AM
At 3/9/2010 6:08:08 AM, banker wrote:
Thanks to all who rewarded this filty gibberish , with a response..!
Its amaizing how one could phantom a father to blow his kids head off"..! This explains why some hate peacefull. Agenda's and lust hate cults who similarly honor kill their kids...!!

Its amaizing to see the ones who fake their hate to a set of values condemning hate vilance murder ,and act that's their hate is a scientific persue..! Their hate gives them in..! Cuasing them to unmask their hiden lust to scenes of fathers blowing up their kids head..!!

no comprehendo..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2010 12:46:05 PM
At 3/9/2010 5:29:53 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/9/2010 4:12:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
because I am above that.

Again with the narcissism

Dignity and self worth are not narcissism... and it is irrelevant anyway!