Jump to topic:

An atheist is about to face death

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 1:01:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
He is going to be executed soon. He only has his reason and science to comfort him in the face of this punishment. However, all of his knowledge comes from a time when he believed in God.

Would the atheists here turn to God in this moment?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 1:22:40 PM
At 8/3/2014 1:01:46 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
He is going to be executed soon. He only has his reason and science to comfort him in the face of this punishment. However, all of his knowledge comes from a time when he believed in God.

It depends. If they want some form of comfort in death they may lie to themselves to achieve this. It seems harmless enough. However I think most will just find comfort in death, in some other way.

@Install gentoo, is this why you're a theist. You fear death an want some form of comfort?

It's okay, if you let go of these irrational beliefs that you've had to force yourself to accept. You will find a different way to deal with your own mortality. I was once in a place like you. I was forcing myself to believe in an afterlife, though no proof existed of one. If I can let go of those unfounded beliefs, you can do the same.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 1:55:17 PM

This sounds like the question that was put to Neil Tyson:
https://www.youtube.com...

I don't see a reason why anyone should fear death, it's no less dramatic and painful as the beginning of your life. The only people I imagine should fear death are theists, who might fear eternal torture after they die.

I certainly would not like to be a theist at death.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 2:32:43 PM

People can take comfort in many other things besides religion.

Besides, if he uses reason and science maybe he can escape. Believing in God may be comforting, but it won't actually do anything.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 4:01:32 PM

Turn to who?
lifemeansevolutionisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 6:57:52 PM
At 8/3/2014 4:01:32 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Turn to who?

The FSM of course.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 8:53:51 AM

This is moronic. The truth is not created by what comforts us, and religion is not so innocent for us to accept it just because it makes us feel good.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 8:54:08 AM

This is moronic. The truth is not created by what comforts us, and religion is not so innocent for us to accept it just because it makes us feel good.

- Grae
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 3:28:41 PM
At 8/3/2014 1:22:40 PM, Wylted wrote:

It depends. If they want some form of comfort in death they may lie to themselves to achieve this. It seems harmless enough. However I think most will just find comfort in death, in some other way.

@Install gentoo, is this why you're a theist. You fear death an want some form of comfort?

It's okay, if you let go of these irrational beliefs that you've had to force yourself to accept. You will find a different way to deal with your own mortality. I was once in a place like you. I was forcing myself to believe in an afterlife, though no proof existed of one. If I can let go of those unfounded beliefs, you can do the same.

I read frequently that it's of the opinion that theists fear death and cope with it using religion of some sort, that's crazy that couldn't be further from my mind where do you guy's get that information? I don't quite understand how it's being applied, there is nothing scary about dying with no belief in God except for the thought of never being with whom you love but that's merely saddening, other than that it's seems like a redundant statement, I don't have theistic beliefs because I'm afraid to die, I'd like to know how this assertion is concluded.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 8:55:56 PM

What's the difference between a Christian dying versus an atheist dying? Neither one of them knows who our Creator is.
iggy1993
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 10:58:56 AM

I don't see even one reason why someone would start believing in got in the wake of their death, sure it's a comforting story the whole "repent and you'll go to heaven" however a story is all it is....
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 11:06:38 AM

I would not. There are three reasons that I would face execution:

1) Religious fanatics/zealots
2) False accusation/conviction (most likely by religious zealots/fanatics)
3) Murder

The only thing that would prompt me to take an human life is in defense of my own or one that I love. That, to me, is not murder. In all three cases, my reason and logic scientific knowledge would be brought to bear on the problem of escape, not consolation. I would not simply resolve myself to allowing my execution. If I don't believe I deserve punishment, I will either fight it or avoid it, depending on the circumstances.

I would not turn to any non-existent gawd.
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.