Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Why?

SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 3:23:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I promised myself I would speak up to try and figure out what's so wrong with this forum.

Diagnosis would be the easiest place to start.

Almost every single thread on this forum is a challenge from theists to athiests or vice versa. My question: Why? What is there to gain? It's clearly not to change the other side's mind, so I want to know why each side constantly bashes the other.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 4:53:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Debating and discussing things makes one to change his views, becasue they smashing the best they have on each other and this is good to the porpuse to change one own views... but there are bais people who never ever will change their mind even you proved to them they are garbage.... i cant understand people many times i found that my views are garbage so i changed to the better... but to people who arent willing to change just as you say its just cr@p.. or just pasing time well its good :D
Never fart near dog
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 10:14:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/5/2014 3:23:16 AM, SolonKR wrote:
I promised myself I would speak up to try and figure out what's so wrong with this forum.

Diagnosis would be the easiest place to start.

Almost every single thread on this forum is a challenge from theists to athiests or vice versa. My question: Why? What is there to gain? It's clearly not to change the other side's mind, so I want to know why each side constantly bashes the other.

God's people love to be right when He knows there all deceived from the Truth.
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 2:30:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/5/2014 4:53:57 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
Debating and discussing things makes one change his/her views, because people smash the best they have on each other, and this is helpful for the purpose of changing one's own views...

I'm pretty sure there's no persuasive argument class out there that says "Throw information at you opponent and constantly state that you're right." That's what happens on this forum. Also, inductive reasoning would show that because there is a high quantity of these "challenge" threads, and a very, very low quantity of people who actually shift views, it can be reasonably concluded that this forum, if nothing else, is highly ineffectual at changing people's minds.

but, there are biased people who never ever will change their mind even when you prove to them that they are garbage.... I can't understand people; many times I found that my views were garbage, so I changed for the better... but to people who aren't willing to change, just as you say, its just cr@p.. or just passing time; well, its good :D

Why pass the time bashing other people when there are more constructive ways to get aggressive? There's even mafia on this site for that.

Thanks for the response.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 2:31:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/5/2014 10:14:03 AM, bornofgod wrote:
God's people love to be right when He knows there all deceived from the Truth.

So, you do it out of feeling compelled to convert people? Inductive reasoning shows that this forum is not an effective place to do such a thing.

Thanks for the response.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 3:23:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/5/2014 3:23:16 AM, SolonKR wrote:
I promised myself I would speak up to try and figure out what's so wrong with this forum.

Diagnosis would be the easiest place to start.

Almost every single thread on this forum is a challenge from theists to athiests or vice versa. My question: Why? What is there to gain? It's clearly not to change the other side's mind, so I want to know why each side constantly bashes the other.

That, good sir, is a question with an answer more elusive than a solution to constant turmoil in Israel.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 8:32:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/5/2014 2:31:50 PM, SolonKR wrote:
At 8/5/2014 10:14:03 AM, bornofgod wrote:
God's people love to be right when He knows there all deceived from the Truth.

So, you do it out of feeling compelled to convert people? Inductive reasoning shows that this forum is not an effective place to do such a thing.

Thanks for the response.

I'm not here to convert My people. I'm only here to find those I chose to listen to Me, their Creator.
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 9:18:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/5/2014 4:53:57 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
Debating and discussing things makes one to change his views, becasue they smashing the best they have on each other and this is good to the porpuse to change one own views... but there are bais people who never ever will change their mind even you proved to them they are garbage.... i cant understand people many times i found that my views are garbage so i changed to the better... but to people who arent willing to change just as you say its just cr@p.. or just pasing time well its good :D

Smashing does not change minds. Good solid argumentation changes minds. The problem, IMHO, is that good solid argumentation is often met with emotionalism and rantish bafoonery.

Good quality analysis is often met with little more than a scorched earth personal attack, and for those who think that its 'both sides' I got two words for you: Bully Boy.

It is also a fact that most atheists, simply put, do not argue. They come in with criticism of religion, often standard fare that hasn't really been examined, and then we get the erroneous, "We don't have a burden of proof!"

It is this silliness that more than anything has blocked the discussion process and devloved the entire thing into a giant demand for evidence, a discussion that is often pointedly absent from the atheist side (there are exceptions, but again - bully boy - has he EVER posted a source?)

There is also one final problem, specifically from atheists, and that is the 'belief' that atheism is the result of evidence (see above) and that religion is not. The result is a bunch of atheists whose opinins do not rest upon evidence and thus cannot be swayed with evidence. The more convincing the religious argument, the more emotional the response.

The smartest religious people are generally held in disdane by the atheists - and sharper the wit and intellect, the more likely we are to see atheist religious abuse, such as, "What would your 'teacher' think of you making a cogent argument and dismissing me as a fool!" Such attempts at abuse only further serve to demonstrate the sheer level of ignorance that most atheists have of religion. In any religious community, such open disdane and ignorance would result in them being tossed out - and that is straight out of the Old Testament, and reinforced by Jesus's dealing with the Pharisees.

Again, the level of most atheistic argumentation is sophomoric. The few good atheists out there are drowned out by the nihilistic bigots, and the level of discussion is simply childish.

When teh side demanding evidence and claiming their processes are the result of evidence actually begin using discussion themes centered around objective evidence rather than subjective passions and animosity laced silliness - the entire concept of discussion will be possible. Until then? What do you expect?

Bully Boy.