Jump to topic:

A question to theists?

iggy1993
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 2:15:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd first like to say that I'm an atheist, so I'm not even going to pretend to understand any of you.
However what I'm wondering is what makes you so sure that the religion (the god) you believe in is the right one?
Have you ever asked yourselves the question: What if I'm wrong?
I mean it's not like there is an abundance of clear evidence proving anything about religion (if there were the number of atheists would decline) so I'm just wondering on what do you base your opinions that the religion you follow is the right one?
The way I see it it's a matter of where you we're born and in what family you were born.
PS: no offence was intended to anyone in the above question, so please don't give me the "God exists, your wrong answer" it's not what I want to discus here.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 2:45:18 PM
At 8/7/2014 2:15:44 PM, iggy1993 wrote:
I'd first like to say that I'm an atheist, so I'm not even going to pretend to understand any of you.
However what I'm wondering is what makes you so sure that the religion (the god) you believe in is the right one?
I mean it's not like there is an abundance of clear evidence proving anything about religion (if there were the number of atheists would decline) so I'm just wondering on what do you base your opinions that the religion you follow is the right one?
The way I see it it's a matter of where you we're born and in what family you were born.
PS: no offence was intended to anyone in the above question, so please don't give me the "God exists, your wrong answer" it's not what I want to discus here.

Pascals wager.
iggy1993
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 2:49:57 PM
At 8/7/2014 2:45:18 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Pascals wager.

Isn't pascals wager about the sheer existence of god? It's about following a set of principles, which dramatically differ from religion to religion.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 3:30:28 PM
At 8/7/2014 2:49:57 PM, iggy1993 wrote:

Pascals wager.

Isn't pascals wager about the sheer existence of god? It's about following a set of principles, which dramatically differ from religion to religion.

I was thinking it was more of a maybe god exists maybe god does not and relying on chance. I have to research that more, I thought pascals wager was similar to your post, maybe not.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 3:58:50 PM
At 8/7/2014 3:30:28 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Pascals wager.

I was thinking it was more of a maybe god exists maybe god does not and relying on chance. I have to research that more, I thought pascals wager was similar to your post, maybe not.

Pascal's Wager states that, essentially, choosing a belief is like betting on something, with the forced wager being your life. If you bet on nothing (atheism), you're guaranteed to lose, but if you bet on some theistic belief, you have a chance at being correct.

The criticism of it stems from a few things. The main ones are the argument from inconsistent revelations the argument of assumptions. For the former, there is proposed the thought that there are many definitions of God and the afterlife. If we are to assume that a God is not an all-loving God, and has set forth one specific set of revelations, the odds of winning Pascal's Wager are ridiculously low. Because of this, critics argue that it is better to abstain from worship, as you are nearly certain to not win the wager and you are thus wasting time. A counterpoint to that refutation would be that the odds of winning are irrelevant in comparison to an infinite prize (eternal life); only infinite odds against (impossibility) could make it reasonable to abstain.

The argument of assumptions, on the other hand, holds that the whole wager is incorrect because it doesn't consider, for example, the existence of a completely benevolent God. A counterpoint to that would be that with the possibility of infinite gain, there is still nothing lost by betting on a religion.

I find it an intriguing argument.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
iggy1993
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 4:24:34 PM
At 8/7/2014 3:58:50 PM, SolonKR wrote:
At 8/7/2014 3:30:28 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Pascals wager.

Pascal's Wager states that, essentially, choosing a belief is like betting on something, with the forced wager being your life. If you bet on nothing (atheism), you're guaranteed to lose, but if you bet on some theistic belief, you have a chance at being correct.

The criticism of it stems from a few things. The main ones are the argument from inconsistent revelations the argument of assumptions. For the former, there is proposed the thought that there are many definitions of God and the afterlife. If we are to assume that a God is not an all-loving God, and has set forth one specific set of revelations, the odds of winning Pascal's Wager are ridiculously low. Because of this, critics argue that it is better to abstain from worship, as you are nearly certain to not win the wager and you are thus wasting time. A counterpoint to that refutation would be that the odds of winning are irrelevant in comparison to an infinite prize (eternal life); only infinite odds against (impossibility) could make it reasonable to abstain.

The argument of assumptions, on the other hand, holds that the whole wager is incorrect because it doesn't consider, for example, the existence of a completely benevolent God. A counterpoint to that would be that with the possibility of infinite gain, there is still nothing lost by betting on a religion.

I find it an intriguing argument.

it is, thx for the explanation :D
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 11:33:51 PM

I know which Church is God's only because He showed me which Church to join.

No, not since God showed me...because He has confirmed the truth to me literally thousands of times since then.

Several personal revelations, from God to me.

Well I was born in the USA and raised as a Catholic...but God showed me that wasn't His Church...so I didn't stay in it.

I think your questions were sincere and polite...that is why I took the time to respond. And thank you for your good manners.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 11:54:07 PM
Buddhism has no God. I personally feel a common source of energy is the most likely thing for us to return to.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 1:19:08 AM
At 8/8/2014 11:33:51 PM, heart_of_the_matter wrote:

I know which Church is God's only because He showed me which Church to join.

No, not since God showed me...because He has confirmed the truth to me literally thousands of times since then.

Several personal revelations, from God to me.

Well I was born in the USA and raised as a Catholic...but God showed me that wasn't His Church...so I didn't stay in it.

I think your questions were sincere and polite...that is why I took the time to respond. And thank you for your good manners.

...or, you're using confirmation-bias to convince yourself that God is confirming your choice, which makes far more sense.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 2:30:21 AM
At 8/9/2014 1:19:08 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/8/2014 11:33:51 PM, heart_of_the_matter wrote:

...or, you're using confirmation-bias to convince yourself that God is confirming your choice, which makes far more sense.

'confirming my choice' is not what happened to me...I was raised Catholic, and at the time not practicing any religion...God showed me which Church to join through a vision...as well as other miraculous events. I didn't 'choose' a Church to attend...it was shown to me which one is His....and it isn't the Catholic Church I found out.

Personal Revelation is the foundation of spiritual knowledge...without it a person cannot know...but with it a person can know anything that God is willing to reveal.

if you believe(d) in God...would you believe that GOD has all power?
If you believe(d) God has ALL power...would you find it hard to believe that God has power to communicate with His children...and make things KNOWN to them with certainty?

It really isn't a stretch...considering that He has actually PROMISED to do that...ex: ask and ye shall receive (Matt. 7:7) or
anyone that lacks wisdom, let them ask of God and it shall be given them (James 1:5).
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 9:34:26 AM

There was once a statement put to me and it honestly made me pause and ponder it for a while. the statement was "If Atheists are correct, then the consequence to Christianity is minimal. If Christianity is correct, then it means the world and eternity of consequences for the Atheists."

I have asked myself hundreds of times "Am I wrong?" And as a result of this, I have had my doubts. I have searched for answers that I did not think that Christianity had the answer to, and as a result, I've seen what other worldviews believe on these areas. Atheism is by far the most lucrative worldview. It promises a life in which there is no real punishment for wrongdoing except death and imprisonment. Prison is hardly a punishment, as Humanists believe that prisoners have equal rights to civilians, and so the lifestyle is roughly the same. You just can't leave the compound. Death is certainly a punishment, and is the worst thing one can do. This is that which keeps Atheists in line. "Do wrong, and punishment will surely follow." Which is ok, but then I thought, well what about the government? If they're the ones doing the punishing, then surely they're above the punishment themselves. This allows them to be as corrupt as they wish with no punishment whatsoever. Such a thing is wrong regardless of the situation. Here I bump into "Objective Morals" which Atheism does not believe in. So here, my heart knowing that something "Is" wrong, paints the picture that right and wrong transcend humanity. This gets me to Theism in general. As for what got me to Christianity, well, that's a story for another day.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind