Jump to topic:

Marcus Aurelius (not really) Quote

Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 9:31:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

This was misattributed to Marcus Aurelius- we don't actually know the origin of it.

What do you guys think about it?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 9:36:55 PM
At 8/9/2014 9:31:58 PM, Hematite12 wrote:
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

This was misattributed to Marcus Aurelius- we don't actually know the origin of it.

Yep.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 9:44:07 PM
Good advice from an atheist who hasn't experienced spiritual consciousness and lived a really full and deep life.
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 10:19:05 PM
At 8/9/2014 9:44:07 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
Good advice from an atheist who hasn't experienced spiritual consciousness and lived a really full and deep life.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, dinosaurs still exist.

That's what your spiritual consciousness told you, right?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 10:24:14 PM

I agree.

If you do not agree with a certain path such as Christianity or Islam, it would be best to choose your own path that seeks to culture and spread the virtues of love and unity regardless of whether a God exists or not.

This is most certainly better than dwelling in the negativity or wrongness of an ideology one disagrees with.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 11:09:29 PM
At 8/9/2014 10:19:05 PM, Hematite12 wrote:

What a dope! Where did they drag you from? Go learn that Dinosaurs still exist and only you don't seem to know it or worse, are playing slander games as if your passe knowledge about dinosaurs and birds will fly in our times.
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 11:41:34 PM
At 8/9/2014 11:09:29 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
At 8/9/2014 10:19:05 PM, Hematite12 wrote:

What a dope! Where did they drag you from? Go learn that Dinosaurs still exist and only you don't seem to know it or worse, are playing slander games as if your passe knowledge about dinosaurs and birds will fly in our times.

Hahahahahahaha
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 12:27:21 AM

Sounds like a one-way ticket to Hell.

And whoever wrote that garbage is in Hell right now.

God is just to save all those who have faith in his Son.
And he's just to cast everyone who denies his Son into Hell.

Christ said:

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works."
(Matthew 16:24-27)
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 3:48:29 PM
At 8/10/2014 12:27:21 AM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

Christ said:

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works."

Sovereigngrak, get your garbage "Christianity" out of here! Stop posting your shite views about Christ and God as you don't know a thing about true Christianity as you swallowed Paul's b.s. that contradicts Jesus' teachings about a Loving and Forgiving God. You don't understand Love or Forgiveness as you think its all about swearing allegiance to a Bible Flag and wearing a Church Uniform and playing Judge of others. There is NO HELL for a God of Love, get it? No hell. All man-made b.s. Think for a change, before you keep spouting off junk religion trying to make our Christian God into that phony Jewish man-made construct vengeful Fraud of Israel, YHWH. Get your God's straight and know that Yahweh is not God Most High but only EL Elyon is. And EL never condemned anyone to any hell if you ever learned the Roots of Christian theology.

I don't want to see anymore of your stupid judgmental posts promoting sick and twisted Pauline Christian doo doo theology.
KafkaF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 3:57:56 PM

So a serial killer can enter heaven just because he 'has faith in God's son' yet an atheist/muslim/hindu/insert anything else here who devoted their life to helping others will eternally burn in hell for... not believing in 'God's son'? Do you even realise how f*cked up your beliefs are?
Chimera
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 4:46:03 PM

Christ said:

So... according to your logic... the Catholics (like Christopher Columbus) who came to the Americas and enslaved, raped, and killed millions of people are going to heaven (because they accepted Jesus as their savior), whereas aborted babies, those who have never heard of Christian doctrine, Jews, Muslims (maybe, if by 'faith' you mean 'faith' that Jesus was the actual son of God and not just a prophet), Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, etc. as well as all of the billions of people who were not alive during the time of Jesus are all going to hell ( since they either do not accept Jesus as their savior, nor were they able to).

That is quite possibly the single most hostile belief system i've ever seen a 'Christian' (emphasis on quotations) purport. Whoever your God (assuming that your God exists, which he doesn't) is, I hate him (if he exists, which he doesn't).