Jump to topic:

Omnism

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 2:50:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Omnism, the belief that all (or most) are the same or at least inspired by the same creator.

My wife has been thinking about this recently, since many religions hold very similar beliefs. She believes that God reveals himself to each of us in his own way, so it would make sense that different people, that were revealed to in different ways would form different groups.

I called it universal theism before we found out what it actually was called (I still like mine more).

What are your thoughts?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 2:58:26 AM
Various religions share similar views because they have the same roots, or were founded in cultures that resembled one another. The Abrahamic faiths would be a good example of religions with same root. The problem with omnism is its contradictory nature, as well as more plausible explanations for both the formation of different groups and similar religions. Moreover, it would seem highly unlikely for God to make different religions that quite often depict other beliefs in very negative ways.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:17:31 AM
At 8/10/2014 2:50:49 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Omnism, the belief that all (or most) are the same or at least inspired by the same creator.

My wife has been thinking about this recently, since many religions hold very similar beliefs. She believes that God reveals himself to each of us in his own way, so it would make sense that different people, that were revealed to in different ways would form different groups.

I called it universal theism before we found out what it actually was called (I still like mine more).

What are your thoughts?

As islam says they all came from the same God originaly but over time people corrupted their scriptures and islam is here to restore the message.
Never fart near dog
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 9:02:10 AM
As a Celestial Torah Christian whose religious beliefs do not contradict science or the historical record of organized religionists in action in the world carrying out their various beliefs, all this blather, these lies told about all religions having the same basic message and root theology is still at the end of the day pure unadulterated religious propaganda.

The doctrines contradict each other and the members of each religious group fight to claim territorial control for their doctrines. When they have no outside religious group to fight with they fight with each other. And this is the truth of the historical record. The question must eventually arise and always does, as the atheist reaction to this historical record of religious madness, why should anyone in their right mind ever want to join in any one of these organized religions? It's like guaranteeing more religious warfare.

But ecumenicalism isn't any real answer as the doctrines in each organized religion are so opposed to each other, each one claiming central knowledge and will of God for themselves, that there can be no joining together of disparate parts, what could that create but a monstrosity of a religion? Or pure gas like this "Omnism" bullhockey.

Christianity has always posited "One Way" to the Father and that is always why Christianity leads all other religious beliefs about God because Christ established the spiritual monopoly on God-consciousness way back in history of humankind, back to the very first figurines made by human beings 35,000 years ago carrying the Celestial Torah symbolic icon of the Messiah/Christ astrological sign symbolism that forms the Cross bar of the Grand Cross of Heaven which is the astrological representation of God as the Merkabah, the Chariot of God seen by Ezekiel in spiritual vision composed of the Fixed Signs, Leo, Taurus, Aquarius, Scorpio.

But why "One Way" to God the Father? Because you cannot find anything by going in all directions. You find something in One direction only. You can only enter a House through One Door, not all of them. There is only one Door to the House of God. There is only one doorway in the sacred sweat lodge and that doorway faces east where the sun rises, the perennial representation of Light and enlightment.

Just like the Tower of Babel symbolized TOO MANY VOICES of God worshiping human beings competing for attention drowning each other's wisdoms out with their Noise, so too too many religious paths competing for believers just cancel each other out with their opposing doctrines creating friction between religious groups. Garbage in= garbage out and that's why there can be no real ecumenical joining of organized religions, it's an unrealistic dream that projecting the future from the past human record shows to be so. Religious warfare is what that record predicts and that's what we have.

Dump them all I say and find the Root Spiritual Path underneath all of them. Because there is one. God led me to find it in the astrological Christ Aquarius pattern that runs all the way from 35,000 years ago to right now in our times of beginning of the Age of Aquarius, a new aeon requiring a new spiritual Paradigm, a new Way of thinking about God, a new Torah in other words.

God has delivered one now: Celestial Torah Christianity that reveals the Christ Aquarius spiritual pattern running through the Bible events and major personages beginning with "Moses" "drawn out of water" which is Musa in Arabic where the root is "mu" in ancient Egyptian and the hieroglyph for it is exactly the same one we moderns use for the Sign of Aquarius. Jesus Christ brings us "Living Waters" poured out of the Humanitarian Archetype's urn over the entire world and now is the time we learned God's original and eternal Sign Language written in the stars and planets above us. One Way into the House of God is through the Sign of Aquarius and that's why Humanitarianism is the real mark of a Christian believer, nothing else but actual concern for all of humanity, no one divided by artificial man-made doctrines and left out.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 9:42:04 AM

What are your thoughts?

That's called pluralism bruh. Look up John Hick, he's the best defender of it. I'd be a pluralist if not a for a couple issues I have with it....

"There he argues not only that the world is sufficiently ambiguous to allow it to be interpreted religiously in different ways but also that there is parity among each of the major world religions regarding their soteriological and ethical efficacy. As far as can be judged by human observation, no one religion stands out above the rest in terms of its ability to transform lives. Moreover, no one religion can lay claim to being the only context for authentic religious experiences. Once one accepts Hick"s epistemological justification for one"s own religious experience, one must be willing to grant the same epistemological justification for those who form their own quite different religious beliefs based on their religious experiences. Thus Hick proposes his pluralistic hypothesis in which each world faith is viewed as a separate culturally conditioned way in which the Ultimate Reality can be experienced. As he states, "These traditions are accordingly to be regarded as alternative soteriological "spaces" within which, or "ways" along which, men and women can find salvation/liberation/ultimate fulfilment" (An Interpretation of Religion, 2d. ed. [IR], 240)."

http://www.iep.utm.edu...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 11:15:52 AM
It seems you want to choose your god, rather than have the Creator and Judge choose you.

As far as the God of Israel via the name Jesus Christ, it could be said that He would speak to whoever in the way the hearer understands. If you don"t understand German then it would be stupid for me to speak to you in German, but that proves nothing in respect to your view of same god, or all worship the same god, in different names and ways. That"s hooey at best, the US Gov was selling that horse dump, when they where trying to maintain peace with friendly Muslum nations like the Saudis, after 9-11. One world religion concept works for those who don"t care about the necessities of knowing or having a relationship with, the Creator and judge.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 2:25:42 PM
At 8/10/2014 9:42:04 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

What are your thoughts?

That's called pluralism bruh. Look up John Hick, he's the best defender of it. I'd be a pluralist if not a for a couple issues I have with it....

"There he argues not only that the world is sufficiently ambiguous to allow it to be interpreted religiously in different ways but also that there is parity among each of the major world religions regarding their soteriological and ethical efficacy. As far as can be judged by human observation, no one religion stands out above the rest in terms of its ability to transform lives. Moreover, no one religion can lay claim to being the only context for authentic religious experiences. Once one accepts Hick"s epistemological justification for one"s own religious experience, one must be willing to grant the same epistemological justification for those who form their own quite different religious beliefs based on their religious experiences. Thus Hick proposes his pluralistic hypothesis in which each world faith is viewed as a separate culturally conditioned way in which the Ultimate Reality can be experienced. As he states, "These traditions are accordingly to be regarded as alternative soteriological "spaces" within which, or "ways" along which, men and women can find salvation/liberation/ultimate fulfilment" (An Interpretation of Religion, 2d. ed. [IR], 240)."

http://www.iep.utm.edu...

Pluralism came up when looking up omnism, though I got a different read of it (though that can happen when you only have 15 minutes). I took that more on the focus of end results than on the initial starting (focusing on each person legitimately arrived at their religion rather than all were inspired by the same god, though that may just be semantics, I'll look more in depth to it).
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 4:13:51 PM

What are your thoughts?

Hello, Ore_Ele, what a great idea to research. I too have pondered the very same thing. Now, keep in mind that here I'll be talking under the assumption that the story of creation found in Genesis is accurate, as I am a Christian, and so alternate worldviews would disagree with the details of what I am about to say...

We see in the bible that the religion of the entire world was what would become Judaism, right up until the people attempted to construct what we know as the "Tower of Babel" which I think is really an under-appreciated event in history. Before the tower, a united view and understanding of God. After the tower, groups went their separate ways, and so the understanding of God was reliant on the leaders of those groups, who may have made a mistake in their understanding of God's nature (For example, the understanding that there is only one God, or that He loves unconditionally.)

Look at all of the recorded cultures in history, and you see one cultural pattern between them all: There is a religion. What are the odds that every single culture throughout recorded history would develop a religion that dates back to the beginning of that culture? (Meaning, the religion came into effectiveness at the same time that the culture appeared). It is certainly a viable conclusion to say that they all originated from one point, but the details were changed by each individual group. For example, the thought that there are many gods is a viable idea when all you have is the knowledge of one God. It is equally easy to say that the god(s) dwell here on the earth with their people, because God DID dwell on the earth with Adam and Eve.

Did all of the religions of the world stem from the idea of a particular God? It is very possible... But as for God revealing himself in different ways, thereby forming different groups, this is an entirely separate issue to tackle. Let's see if I can't help any...

The God of Christianity believes in a God who has an emotional connection to His people. He loves and cares for every single person, past present and future, believer and unbeliever. He hates sin, but loves the sinner. This God weeps for the sin in others and does not want to condemn people to Hell. This God is forgiving to a massive degree. God also gives mankind free will (Although this point is somewhat contested in a few protestant circles, for that, see "Calvinism")
The God of Islam (And I'm sure to take fire for this one...) differs slightly. Allah loves his followers, but cares very little for those who oppose him. He cares for every single person, past present and future, but only those who obey him. He hates rebellion (Which is the word that Christians use synonymously with "Sin") against him, and punishes those who rebel in a heartless manner. Allah does not like rebellion, and hates those who rebel, and therefore has no qualms with sending them to be eternally punished (The word "Hell" isn't used, but you understand the intent). Allah forgives only those who obey him unquestioningly. Also, Allah does not give mankind free will. If you are an evil person, you are evil so that Allah may test another's faith. You will still be eternally punished for the evil that was forced upon you.
Here there is a massive underlining difference in the heart of the two deities. One who is the embodiment of love, mercy, and forgiveness, and another who is apathetic, fair in accordance to the letter of the law (If you break the law, you are punished, regardless of circumstance. Circumstance would be the "Spirit of the Law"), and one who does not forgive evil committed unless one repents and follows the laws of Islam to the letter.

The major difference between these two major religions: Conditional love vs Unconditional love.

These are conflictory views of what Omnism would say is a single being Creator/God. The question becomes, how much concerning the Heart of God (Whichever you believe in) do you have to change before it is no longer the same God?

It is simple to say at this point that "God [whichever you believe in] merely showed himself differently to two different people" Which is entirely valid, except that for one to believe in a God who is loving unconditionally, it would have to be that He is loving unconditionally Necessarily, meaning in every circumstance. For it to be equally true that God appeared to someone in a manner of conditional love, would be contradictory to the other belief, and so the two cannot have originated from the same being in question. This always makes me smile at the irony of it, because the fundamental difference between Christianity and Islam is that in the story of Abraham's sacrificing of his child, Christianity believes that Isaac was almost sacrificed, but Islam believes that Ishmael was almost sacrificed. They both believe in the God of Abraham, but they have completely contrasting views of who that God is, or what is in His heart. Herein, we ask "Do they really worship the same God, then?"

Do you see the dilemma here, Ore_Ele? I am sorry that I could not keep this brief. Too much required explanation... If you have any questions for me, do not hesitate to ask, even if the question is not necessarily related to the question of Omnism.

If nothing else, keep up the good work of learning, asking questions, and formulating ideas.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 8:55:36 PM

What are your thoughts?

I agree with it, as it is similar to my beliefs as a Baha'i.

While religions appear to contradict each other, God had to give certain teachings for certain ages of humanity. The teachings thus had to be different as there were different circumstances, different cultures, and different understandings of how the world worked.

The world, in a sense, goes through cycles. When a prophet or messenger from God comes, it represents spring time. There is a blossoming of flowers and the trees are anew. Life grows and flourishes. The earth was a lifeless body; it finds a new spirit, and produces endless beauty, grace and freshness. Thus the spring is the cause of new life and infuses a new spirit. But spring time is also accompanied by mud slides, the ground cracking, and tumultuous events, hence why these messengers are persecuted against.

Then comes the summer time, when the heat increases, and growth and development attain their greatest power and where the religion's effects take hold and spread the necessary virtues. Peace ensues. Love, unity, happiness, kindness, and so on proliferate throughout communities.

As time goes on, winter settles in. Plants die, people freeze and starve, life withers. The virtues that were rampant have dwindled away and divisions arise among people. Wars erupt. It is a time of lifelessness and the ground grows hard once more.

Then the cycle repeats, with spring coming once more.
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 9:01:52 PM

What are your thoughts?

Reveals himself to all of us in certain ways? Why are there atheists in that case?
Dude... Stop...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 12:32:02 AM
At 8/10/2014 9:01:52 PM, Fanath wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Reveals himself to all of us in certain ways? Why are there atheists in that case?

1) He has not revealed to them yet
2) They have misunderstood, or flat out missed his message

There are a number of reasons as to why things might be the way they are.
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 8:34:34 AM
At 8/11/2014 12:32:02 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/10/2014 9:01:52 PM, Fanath wrote:

What are your thoughts?

1) He has not revealed to them yet
Does he reveal himself to us after we die as well?

2) They have misunderstood, or flat out missed his message

Why did he give them a message if he knew they would misinterpret it?

There are a number of reasons as to why things might be the way they are.
Dude... Stop...
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 9:14:01 AM
Here, Rasa, is a perfect example of how little you know about Christianity and yet think you can speak authoratively about it to others. You say,

"Christianity believes that Isaac was almost sacrificed,"

What "Christianity" believes that, Rasa? Pauline Christianity, Bible Churchmen Catholic based Christianity believes that but it was never true of all the early Christian sects which were quite varied in their beliefs many of the Gnostic Christian ones chucking the Old Testament Abraham and his Moloch god out the religious window like it should have been for anyone who thinks morally about that horrible story of Abraham's and his god's psychotic child abuse example for Abrahamic believers. You speak only for Pauline Roman Empire delivered "Christianity" and that day is over for all who have studied the roots of early Christian doctrines and know about the missing Gnostic Christian Gospels and beliefs.

Please stop talking about Christianity as if you knew what you're talking about as that statement about Isaac shows us your Pauline Christian bias. Paul sank with all the rest of those who failed to discover the archeological/historical truth about the Hebrew writers of the Bible.

If you want to learn about the Near Eastern roots of Christianity you might begin with researching the geographic/linguistic/cultural connection between the god portrayed in the Abraham story and the Ammonite Great Moloch of War who was famous for demanding firstborn sons "passed through the fire" as proof of loyalty to Moloch, "Melech" King in Hebrew. Research the root of the name "Melchizedek" which is not "King" of Salem in origin as Hebrew, the world's most manipulated for meaning language, cannot be trusted for true etymology. Often Hebrew words are remade to fit Hebrew theology, such as Melchizedek, Malik, Malachai, all cognates of Moloch worship in the very same area and time the Abraham story takes place. Judaism/Pauline Christianity is infected with Moloch worship of sacrificing firstborn sons to a psychotic god. There can be no real "unconditional love" given by a psycho god who plays mind fudge games with sincere believers.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 9:18:07 AM
And there can be no "sincere believer" who chooses to serve a pyschotic god over protecting his own son's life as such a man in our times would be quickly put away in prison for a very long time for severe child abuse and rightly so.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 9:23:55 AM
These are the End Times of Abraham. The Abrahamic religions are all riding on passe beliefs and social inertia fueled by religious warfare shutting down information flow. But the historical truth is out there and can never be erased as it comes from the ground itself, the archeological record of the writers of the Bible stories.

The Gnostic Christian traditions were not Bible bound and only modern Gnosis will ride over the End Times of Pauline Christianity which will go down the historical tubes along with parent Judaism and offspring Muhammadism. My prophesy. Celestial Torah Christianity is that modern Gnosis that restores the root of Christian Messianic theology in God's Sign Language where no man can mess with it.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 12:24:49 PM
At 8/11/2014 9:14:01 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
Here, Rasa, is a perfect example of how little you know about Christianity and yet think you can speak authoratively about it to others. You say,

"Christianity believes that Isaac was almost sacrificed,"

What "Christianity" believes that, Rasa? Pauline Christianity, Bible Churchmen Catholic based Christianity believes that but it was never true of all the early Christian sects which were quite varied in their beliefs many of the Gnostic Christian ones chucking the Old Testament Abraham and his Moloch god out the religious window like it should have been for anyone who thinks morally about that horrible story of Abraham's and his god's psychotic child abuse example for Abrahamic believers. You speak only for Pauline Roman Empire delivered "Christianity" and that day is over for all who have studied the roots of early Christian doctrines and know about the missing Gnostic Christian Gospels and beliefs.

Please stop talking about Christianity as if you knew what you're talking about as that statement about Isaac shows us your Pauline Christian bias. Paul sank with all the rest of those who failed to discover the archeological/historical truth about the Hebrew writers of the Bible.

If you want to learn about the Near Eastern roots of Christianity you might begin with researching the geographic/linguistic/cultural connection between the god portrayed in the Abraham story and the Ammonite Great Moloch of War who was famous for demanding firstborn sons "passed through the fire" as proof of loyalty to Moloch, "Melech" King in Hebrew. Research the root of the name "Melchizedek" which is not "King" of Salem in origin as Hebrew, the world's most manipulated for meaning language, cannot be trusted for true etymology. Often Hebrew words are remade to fit Hebrew theology, such as Melchizedek, Malik, Malachai, all cognates of Moloch worship in the very same area and time the Abraham story takes place. Judaism/Pauline Christianity is infected with Moloch worship of sacrificing firstborn sons to a psychotic god. There can be no real "unconditional love" given by a psycho god who plays mind fudge games with sincere believers.

As a prerequisite for Christianity, you have to believe in the God of Abraham. Why? Because Jesus fulfills the prophecy and comes from the line of Abraham, and even says that He fulfills the prophecies laid down by the same Abrahamic God's followers. One cannot say that they are a Christian without believe that Jesus is the same God of Abraham. I do not know what your religious group calls itself, but if they consider themselves to be Christians, there are requirements. To believe that Jesus is God, but not the God of Abraham, then this is an entirely separate religion, for two reasons:

these are matters of Primary Importance (Meaning that one can lose their salvation by getting it wrong).

This is an entirely separate God that you worship, and therefore cannot fall under the fold of Christianity.

I am truly sorry to say this, but if your beliefs are as you say, then you are in danger of losing the chance to be with God for eternity. I do not like saying that to anyone, even my worst enemies, but it appears as though you do not even worship the same God as the Christians or the Jews, and so if either Judaism or Christianity are right, then you have made a fatal error. I certainly hope that in our time together on the forums, I can help you back.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 4:25:57 PM

What are your thoughts?

Care for a debate?
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 4:37:00 PM

What are your thoughts?

sounds like religious pluralism. it seems very plausible to me, as an agnostic, and if i were to become convinced of god's existence, i would probably subscribe to something similar. it has some problems like all belief systems and philosophies, but its a lot more rational than traditional exclusivist religions.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 8:08:49 PM

What are your thoughts?

I think it is human nature and human bias to create a God and think it is the correct belief.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:49:20 PM

What are your thoughts?

Wow a sincere question in the religious forum! What will happen next?

Since you're a Christian I'll respond to you as one.

God has written his commandments on every heart. We come to understand this as natural law. Since there is a law giver, God, those societies that more closely follow his laws will be more successful, those that don't will fail.

God reveals divine law through the prophets and ultimately Jesus. This is law that cannot be arrived by natural law, but only through God's revealing of himself.

Thus any "truth" that another religion has is merely a reflection of the portion of the Christian truth that it has.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 10:56:44 AM

What are your thoughts?
Most cultures it would seem have intra-religious conflict. That is, opposing religious views within their immediate cultural community.

What certain well learned, well traveled missionaries have found is that many tribal/ethnic enclaves are presented with a choice. And even very isolated groups who had no obvious contact with civilizations like the Middle East have been presented with a spiritual choice that bares remarkable similarity with the Gospel message. So much so that when missionaries from the modernized world give them the Gospel message, they relate it to a message that has lingered within their community decades or centuries.