Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

If atheism didn't exist

Badi-Nontheist
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 6:59:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

No. Atheism is a response to the claim that God exists. A response necessarily comes after the claim.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:04:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

If religion did not exist would we ever no what atheism is?
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:16:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Do you believe that unicorns exist?

If you don't, that's proof that unicorns exist, since we only have unicorn-disbelievers if unicorns exist.

Unicorns exist, Q.E.D.
Badi-Nontheist
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:18:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
But I guess I could apply this to anything.

If disbelief in monsters didn't exist, we would not know what monsters are, so this is proof of monsters.... Or if .... Anything didn't exist, we would not know bla bla.

But something about this strikes as true for me.

Can anyone help?

I mean, endisndocks doesn't exist because there is no one claiming it doesn't exist. Until now of course as I just made it up and brought it into being!
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:35:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 7:20:33 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
Maybe you just brought unicorns into existence?

So, unicorns exist, then.

And aliens.

And Middle Earth.

And mythril.

And Vishnu.

And Zeus.

And Yahweh.

And Hera.

And Shiva.

Strange, looks like we are polytheistic now.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Response: Both cold and darkness are actual existing things. Whereas atheism is belief that something does not exist, resulting from the claim that something does exist.

So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.
bulproof
Posts: 25,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 10:59:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

No.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 10:59:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?


So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.
You mean the claim.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 1:34:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 7:05:02 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
But if God didn't really exist, we wouldn't have atheism would we?

God doesn't exist, and we have atheism.

That should answer your question.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 1:36:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Response: Both cold and darkness are actual existing things. Whereas atheism is belief that something does not exist, resulting from the claim that something does exist.

So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.

Who screwed the 4 watt bulb into the 100 watt socket?

Cold is the absence of heat.
Darkness is the absence of light.
Atheism is the absence of theism.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 8:35:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Nope!
lifemeansevolutionisgood
Posts: 551
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 8:39:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 1:36:59 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Response: Both cold and darkness are actual existing things. Whereas atheism is belief that something does not exist, resulting from the claim that something does exist.

So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.

Who screwed the 4 watt bulb into the 100 watt socket?

Cold is the absence of heat.
Darkness is the absence of light.
Atheism is the absence of theism.

Just ignore him. I think that he is too stupid to understand anything that is said to him, so it is best not to give him any attention.
Badi-Nontheist
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 9:16:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
My original question is still unanswered I think.

Yes, I guess what I am implying is that whatever we imagine does not exist perhaps actually does exist in another universe? Think string theory.

If we imagine that a square circle does not exist, then it must exist for we imagined it.

How do I logically reason myself out of this?
Badi-Nontheist
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 9:18:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I guess this is what I am trying to say:

There are four different kinds of things:

1. Things we know we know
2. Things we don't know we know
3. Things we know we don't know
4. Things we don't know we don't know

Is #4 a proof of God?
Fatihah
Posts: 7,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 9:34:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 1:36:59 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Response: Both cold and darkness are actual existing things. Whereas atheism is belief that something does not exist, resulting from the claim that something does exist.

So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.

Who screwed the 4 watt bulb into the 100 watt socket?

Cold is the absence of heat.
Darkness is the absence of light.
Atheism is the absence of theism.

Response: Idiocy.

Cold and heat can exist as the truth at the same time.
Darkness and light can exist as the truth at the same time.
Atheism and theism CANNOT exist as the truth at the same time.
bulproof
Posts: 25,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 10:13:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The greater number of people who ascribe to non-theism is just a reflection of evolution in action.

Humans are still evolving, religion was necessary part of that evolution but with greater intelligence it is no longer needed.

The religious will eventually cease to exist, for the simple reason that they are no longer needed. Eventually everyone will be decent people because that is how their genes make them. WE will eliminate the sociopaths hiding in religion.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 4:33:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 8:39:29 AM, lifemeansevolutionisgood wrote:
At 8/11/2014 1:36:59 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Response: Both cold and darkness are actual existing things. Whereas atheism is belief that something does not exist, resulting from the claim that something does exist.

So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.

Who screwed the 4 watt bulb into the 100 watt socket?

Cold is the absence of heat.
Darkness is the absence of light.
Atheism is the absence of theism.

Just ignore him. I think that he is too stupid to understand anything that is said to him, so it is best not to give him any attention.

You think that... I know it. You're right. I should know better. But someone has to keep hammering away at that thickened stone skull... I guess.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 4:39:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 9:34:27 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/11/2014 1:36:59 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Response: Both cold and darkness are actual existing things. Whereas atheism is belief that something does not exist, resulting from the claim that something does exist.

So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.

Who screwed the 4 watt bulb into the 100 watt socket?

Cold is the absence of heat.
Darkness is the absence of light.
Atheism is the absence of theism.

Response: Idiocy.

Cold and heat can exist as the truth at the same time.
Darkness and light can exist as the truth at the same time.
Atheism and theism CANNOT exist as the truth at the same time.

That's known as shifting goal posts. First you claimed that it was about what did or didn't exist. Now you've decided your argument is about whether or not two extremes can exist as the truth at the same time. You don't win an argument by changing your argument each time you're refuted. You were wrong. I showed you were wrong. Lick it up, girlyman.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
irreverent_god
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 4:41:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

At some point, in the future, people will look back on the 'evolutionary tree' to try to figure out where "theists" went...
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
irreverent_god
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 4:48:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 9:34:27 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/11/2014 1:36:59 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Response: Both cold and darkness are actual existing things. Whereas atheism is belief that something does not exist, resulting from the claim that something does exist.

So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.

Who screwed the 4 watt bulb into the 100 watt socket?

Cold is the absence of heat.
Darkness is the absence of light.
Atheism is the absence of theism.

Response: Idiocy.

Cold and heat can exist as the truth at the same time.

But not in the same place... The range of temperatures, for humans, is limited. At some point extremes become more than just relative -- they become lethal. An human cannot experience two different descriptive temperature sensations, at the same point, at the same time.

Darkness and light can exist as the truth at the same time.

Again, not in the same place. Since dark is the absence of light, it cannot be dark any place where there is light, except in 'relative' comparison. It is less 'light' in the shade of a tree, than it is out of it. One cannot, however, perceive both the presence and absence of light, at the same time, in the same place.

Atheism and theism CANNOT exist as the truth at the same time.

Absolutely correct. Until theism is at least a viable theory, agnosticism is the default position. Atheism is the presumption that no other evidence or encounter will ever be discovered.
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 5:37:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 4:39:59 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/11/2014 9:34:27 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/11/2014 1:36:59 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/10/2014 7:47:42 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/10/2014 6:55:39 PM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
If atheism didn't, would we ever know what "God" is?

For instance, because of cold we are aware of heat.
Because of darkness we are aware of light.

What do you think?

Does this make any sense?

Response: Both cold and darkness are actual existing things. Whereas atheism is belief that something does not exist, resulting from the claim that something does exist.

So in actuality, it is the existence or consideration of God's existence that atheism is shown awareness. Not the other way around.

Who screwed the 4 watt bulb into the 100 watt socket?

Cold is the absence of heat.
Darkness is the absence of light.
Atheism is the absence of theism.

Response: Idiocy.

Cold and heat can exist as the truth at the same time.
Darkness and light can exist as the truth at the same time.
Atheism and theism CANNOT exist as the truth at the same time.

That's known as shifting goal posts. First you claimed that it was about what did or didn't exist. Now you've decided your argument is about whether or not two extremes can exist as the truth at the same time. You don't win an argument by changing your argument each time you're refuted. You were wrong. I showed you were wrong. Lick it up, girlyman.

Response: Yet existing as truth at the same time is still a reference to whether something is existing or not. So again, you the foolish response of "absence" that you stated out of stupidity still remains debunked.

You were exposed and debunked as usual. Try again.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 5:39:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 4:48:01 PM, irreverent_god wrote:

Response: Idiocy.

Cold and heat can exist as the truth at the same time.

But not in the same place... The range of temperatures, for humans, is limited. At some point extremes become more than just relative -- they become lethal. An human cannot experience two different descriptive temperature sensations, at the same point, at the same time.

Response: No one said a human could. So your claim is irrelevant.
Darkness and light can exist as the truth at the same time.

Again, not in the same place. Since dark is the absence of light, it cannot be dark any place where there is light, except in 'relative' comparison. It is less 'light' in the shade of a tree, than it is out of it. One cannot, however, perceive both the presence and absence of light, at the same time, in the same place.

Response: No one said it could. So your claim again is irrelevant.

Atheism and theism CANNOT exist as the truth at the same time.

Absolutely correct. Until theism is at least a viable theory, agnosticism is the default position. Atheism is the presumption that no other evidence or encounter will ever be discovered.

Response: Exactly.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 9:32:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 9:16:06 AM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
My original question is still unanswered I think.

Yes, I guess what I am implying is that whatever we imagine does not exist perhaps actually does exist in another universe? Think string theory.

If we imagine that a square circle does not exist, then it must exist for we imagined it.

How do I logically reason myself out of this?

By using logic.

If you imagine a squared circle, all that necessarily exists is a concept of a squared circle.

A concept of a squared circle is not a squared circle. To claim otherwise is to violate the first law of logic.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 9:34:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 9:18:42 AM, Badi-Nontheist wrote:
I guess this is what I am trying to say:

There are four different kinds of things:

1. Things we know we know
2. Things we don't know we know
3. Things we know we don't know
4. Things we don't know we don't know

Is #4 a proof of God?

Define God. Then explain how the statement "Things we don't know we don't know" leads to your definition.

After you find out that you can't, you will have your answer.