Total Posts:256|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

You think the church is damaging marriages?

Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.
Shadow-Dragon
Posts: 55
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:31:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Okay, I support abstinence, but not because I'm a Catholic. I just think it promotes the fact that sex is an experience that should not be taken lightly.
However, I do think that premarital sex is okay, only if the couple truly loves one another! Sex is about expressing love, and if the couple does not truly love each other, I would not support sex in that case.
Thus, I do not support things like one-night-stands, hit it and quit it, and high school and college kids having sex for fun.
I believe that if a couple truly has such a strong feeling of love, they should be allowed to express that through sex, but then should remain faithful with each other.
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:33:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

You dont think but the fact is the other way, you trying to modernize the bible? lol i dont get it.
Never fart near dog
Keltron
Posts: 161
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:40:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It's a bad idea to get married to someone you haven't had sex with. You don't know if they have sexual hang-ups, or weird fetishes. That can destroy a marriage. It's an even worse idea to marry a virgin. Eventually they are going to want to find out what it's like to have sex with other people.
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:56:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:31:39 PM, Shadow-Dragon wrote:
Okay, I support abstinence, but not because I'm a Catholic. I just think it promotes the fact that sex is an experience that should not be taken lightly.
However, I do think that premarital sex is okay, only if the couple truly loves one another! Sex is about expressing love, and if the couple does not truly love each other, I would not support sex in that case.
Thus, I do not support things like one-night-stands, hit it and quit it, and high school and college kids having sex for fun.
I believe that if a couple truly has such a strong feeling of love, they should be allowed to express that through sex, but then should remain faithful with each other.

I completely agree with you, I believe that love should always be in place. I think that premarital sex isn't a sin as long as it's done out of love and commitment.
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:56:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

What do you mean?
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:57:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:56:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

What do you mean?

Answer the question, please.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:59:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

I think its permissible also..."the bible is metaphorical" everything is metaphorical so dont take it literally... Jesus said in mattew 5:28:
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

but you know its metaphorical Jesus didnt mean that it could mean something it so you can watch pornography freely dont worry feel awesome doing so booooommm!! :D
Never fart near dog
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 7:59:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:56:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

What do you mean?

Is looking at pornographic material with lustful intent a sin?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 8:01:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:59:25 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

I think its permissible also..."the bible is metaphorical" everything is metaphorical so dont take it literally... Jesus said in mattew 5:28:
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

but you know its metaphorical Jesus didnt mean that it could mean something it so you can watch pornography freely dont worry feel awesome doing so booooommm!! :D

I disagree. God looks at our hearts. Not just our outward actions. He looks at the intent of our actions and judges them by that, not by the merits of the actions themselves.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 8:03:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 8:01:23 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:59:25 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

I think its permissible also..."the bible is metaphorical" everything is metaphorical so dont take it literally... Jesus said in mattew 5:28:
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

but you know its metaphorical Jesus didnt mean that it could mean something it so you can watch pornography freely dont worry feel awesome doing so booooommm!! :D

I disagree. God looks at our hearts. Not just our outward actions. He looks at the intent of our actions and judges them by that, not by the merits of the actions themselves.

oh im sorry so you can actually watch porn if your intent is good... wow thanks you saved me im going to do something....
Never fart near dog
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 8:05:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:59:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:56:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

What do you mean?

Is looking at pornographic material with lustful intent a sin?

Define lustful
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 8:07:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 8:03:48 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 8/12/2014 8:01:23 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:59:25 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

I think its permissible also..."the bible is metaphorical" everything is metaphorical so dont take it literally... Jesus said in mattew 5:28:
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

but you know its metaphorical Jesus didnt mean that it could mean something it so you can watch pornography freely dont worry feel awesome doing so booooommm!! :D

I disagree. God looks at our hearts. Not just our outward actions. He looks at the intent of our actions and judges them by that, not by the merits of the actions themselves.

oh im sorry so you can actually watch porn if your intent is good... wow thanks you saved me im going to do something....

There is no good intent behind looking at pornography. It is satisfying your own fleshly desire for sexual pleasure at the expense of God's holy standards.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 8:08:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 8:05:57 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:59:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:56:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

What do you mean?

Is looking at pornographic material with lustful intent a sin?

Define lustful

Receiving sexual pleasure from something, outside of God's holy standards. Of course, we all know (or should know) the definition of lust.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 8:11:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 8:08:31 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 8:05:57 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:59:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:56:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

What do you mean?

Is looking at pornographic material with lustful intent a sin?

Define lustful

Receiving sexual pleasure from something, outside of God's holy standards. Of course, we all know (or should know) the definition of lust.

I would not consider it out of his holy standards
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:08:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 8:11:08 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 8:08:31 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 8:05:57 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:59:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:56:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

What do you mean?

Is looking at pornographic material with lustful intent a sin?

Define lustful

Receiving sexual pleasure from something, outside of God's holy standards. Of course, we all know (or should know) the definition of lust.

I would not consider it out of his holy standards

So you don't consider pornography to be sinful?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:14:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 9:08:13 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 8:11:08 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 8:08:31 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 8:05:57 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:59:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:56:45 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:49:27 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Is pornography a sin?

What do you mean?

Is looking at pornographic material with lustful intent a sin?

Define lustful

Receiving sexual pleasure from something, outside of God's holy standards. Of course, we all know (or should know) the definition of lust.

I would not consider it out of his holy standards

So you don't consider pornography to be sinful?

No
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:40:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Christianity kinda has a reputation for having fears about human sexuality.

I think that is apparent here, notice the connection between "purity/virginity" and thus having sex you are now dirty.

Also notice that this kind of concern is more directed at women. I mean if you a woman and enjoy sex too much.............well your a bit of a whore now arn't you ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:46:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 9:40:26 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Christianity kinda has a reputation for having fears about human sexuality.

I think that is apparent here, notice the connection between "purity/virginity" and thus having sex you are now dirty.

Also notice that this kind of concern is more directed at women. I mean if you a woman and enjoy sex too much.............well your a bit of a whore now arn't you ?

Yeah, I'd marry a Christian, but if she slept with so many people, im going to use protection. I noticed alot of Christians overemphasize sex when it should not be.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:48:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:56:09 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:31:39 PM, Shadow-Dragon wrote:
Okay, I support abstinence, but not because I'm a Catholic. I just think it promotes the fact that sex is an experience that should not be taken lightly.
However, I do think that premarital sex is okay, only if the couple truly loves one another! Sex is about expressing love, and if the couple does not truly love each other, I would not support sex in that case.
Thus, I do not support things like one-night-stands, hit it and quit it, and high school and college kids having sex for fun.
I believe that if a couple truly has such a strong feeling of love, they should be allowed to express that through sex, but then should remain faithful with each other.

I completely agree with you, I believe that love should always be in place. I think that premarital sex isn't a sin as long as it's done out of love and commitment.

I am really curious to know why. What is the problem with simply having sex for the pleasure of it? Why does love need to be involved?
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:49:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:40:34 PM, Keltron wrote:
It's a bad idea to get married to someone you haven't had sex with. You don't know if they have sexual hang-ups, or weird fetishes. That can destroy a marriage. It's an even worse idea to marry a virgin. Eventually they are going to want to find out what it's like to have sex with other people.

You make a great point.
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:52:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 9:48:58 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:56:09 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:31:39 PM, Shadow-Dragon wrote:
Okay, I support abstinence, but not because I'm a Catholic. I just think it promotes the fact that sex is an experience that should not be taken lightly.
However, I do think that premarital sex is okay, only if the couple truly loves one another! Sex is about expressing love, and if the couple does not truly love each other, I would not support sex in that case.
Thus, I do not support things like one-night-stands, hit it and quit it, and high school and college kids having sex for fun.
I believe that if a couple truly has such a strong feeling of love, they should be allowed to express that through sex, but then should remain faithful with each other.

I completely agree with you, I believe that love should always be in place. I think that premarital sex isn't a sin as long as it's done out of love and commitment.

I am really curious to know why. What is the problem with simply having sex for the pleasure of it? Why does love need to be involved?

Well, as a Christian, the purpose of sex is not just for pleasure, but also between a man and a woman in a commited relationship.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:56:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 9:52:56 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 9:48:58 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:56:09 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:31:39 PM, Shadow-Dragon wrote:
Okay, I support abstinence, but not because I'm a Catholic. I just think it promotes the fact that sex is an experience that should not be taken lightly.
However, I do think that premarital sex is okay, only if the couple truly loves one another! Sex is about expressing love, and if the couple does not truly love each other, I would not support sex in that case.
Thus, I do not support things like one-night-stands, hit it and quit it, and high school and college kids having sex for fun.
I believe that if a couple truly has such a strong feeling of love, they should be allowed to express that through sex, but then should remain faithful with each other.

I completely agree with you, I believe that love should always be in place. I think that premarital sex isn't a sin as long as it's done out of love and commitment.

I am really curious to know why. What is the problem with simply having sex for the pleasure of it? Why does love need to be involved?

Well, as a Christian, the purpose of sex is not just for pleasure, but also between a man and a woman in a commited relationship.

Oh, you mean because the bible says so. Got it.
Truth_seeker
Posts: 1,811
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 9:57:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 9:56:21 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 8/12/2014 9:52:56 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 9:48:58 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:56:09 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:31:39 PM, Shadow-Dragon wrote:
Okay, I support abstinence, but not because I'm a Catholic. I just think it promotes the fact that sex is an experience that should not be taken lightly.
However, I do think that premarital sex is okay, only if the couple truly loves one another! Sex is about expressing love, and if the couple does not truly love each other, I would not support sex in that case.
Thus, I do not support things like one-night-stands, hit it and quit it, and high school and college kids having sex for fun.
I believe that if a couple truly has such a strong feeling of love, they should be allowed to express that through sex, but then should remain faithful with each other.

I completely agree with you, I believe that love should always be in place. I think that premarital sex isn't a sin as long as it's done out of love and commitment.

I am really curious to know why. What is the problem with simply having sex for the pleasure of it? Why does love need to be involved?

Well, as a Christian, the purpose of sex is not just for pleasure, but also between a man and a woman in a commited relationship.

Oh, you mean because the bible says so. Got it.

Put it simply yes ;-)
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 10:24:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

I would suggest that this helps to illustrate how negatively religion affects many people. And while in this instance, it clearly damaged her marriage and her life, in many instances the more interesting observation is that religion doesn't strengthen marriages. Theists and atheist marriages tend to succeed and fail to roughly the same percentage. If a Christian marriage is truly a bond between the couple and God, why is it no more successful than a bond between just two people?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Arasa
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 5:26:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Hello, Truth_Seeker!
I would like to pose my own view...

We see in the life of Solomon, that the law given by God was "Do not inter-marry with the other nations whose god is not Him." Solomon disregarded this law. Now, did God tell Solomon that he was going to Hell for breaking this law? Of course not! But the consequence of breaking the law was that Solomon's wives did lead him away from God and into other religions.

So if we look at the intent behind the pre-marital sex rule, then we can see why God speaks out against it...

I'm not saying that everyone will, just like Solomon could have remained a Godly man. It just puts you at a greater risk. But we look at a lot of people's view on relationships, there are those who believe that relationships are only for the sex, and that the primary purpose of sex is not to produce children, but for pleasure. Would people have these views if they believed that sex was for after marriage? Most likely not, but not necessarily. Again, it is a prime example of a cautionary tale.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
bulproof
Posts: 25,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 6:53:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 5:26:53 AM, Arasa wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Hello, Truth_Seeker!
I would like to pose my own view...

We see in the life of Solomon, that the law given by God was "Do not inter-marry with the other nations whose god is not Him." Solomon disregarded this law. Now, did God tell Solomon that he was going to Hell for breaking this law? Of course not! But the consequence of breaking the law was that Solomon's wives did lead him away from God and into other religions.

So if we look at the intent behind the pre-marital sex rule, then we can see why God speaks out against it...

I'm not saying that everyone will, just like Solomon could have remained a Godly man. It just puts you at a greater risk. But we look at a lot of people's view on relationships, there are those who believe that relationships are only for the sex, and that the primary purpose of sex is not to produce children, but for pleasure. Would people have these views if they believed that sex was for after marriage? Most likely not, but not necessarily. Again, it is a prime example of a cautionary tale.


August Rasa, a 4:53 mind

You mean primitive not prime.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 7:17:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

As a follower of Christ, or certainly one who is doing all in his power to do so, I feel I need to ask "which Church" and please no-one give the vague answer the Christian Church, since it is such a fragmented mess.

However on the basic question I would have to say that most Churches have been damaging marriage for a long time, certainly well within my memory, and I am 65 yras old.

Why?

Because they have condoned an ever increasing decline in moral standards.

God set the true moral standard many millennia ago, and Christ repeated it. It has not changed, and there is absolutely no reason why it should since it is the only moral standard which benefits the whole of humanity, provided they adhere to it.

Mankind has proven that over again, not just by what is recorded in the Bible, but History itself shows that every major civilisation has shrunk in power and efficiency as it's moral standards have fallen.

In scriptural terms, marriage is simply a public commitment before God, between a man and a woman, to share every aspect of their lives to the maximum possible extent, and it could accurately be said that there is no compulsion to go through any form of ceremony, just to make everyone aware of teh level of commitment, and thereafter to live as "one flesh".

However the Bible qualifies this requirement in another area when, at Romans 13, we are encouraged to comply with man's law in every area which does not conflict with God's requirements of us, and legalising marriage does not so conflict.

Thus we are urged to make every effort, where humanly, and legally, possible to have our unions legalised as well as a full time commitment.

So in the vast majority of lands for a union to be fully recognised by God and Christ it has to be legalised, again at the first opportunity, which in most cases is immediately.

However for decades now churches have been turning a blind eye to immoral behaviour of all sorts including common law marriage in lands where legalising such unions presents no difficulty.

Since then we have been on an ever more slippery slope with churches recognising and blessing ever more unscriptural arrangements which God will never accept. Of course as the creator of this universe he does have the perfect moral right to choose who he allows to live in it, and before long will exercise that right.

Far better to enjoy the benefits of God's good will, however restrictive you may feel them to be at first, and you will eventually realise they are no more restrictive than a ban on selling food that is so old as to be effectively poisonous.

Yes, far better that than lose out on everything,

The churches, in the majority of cases, no longer follow God's dictates, but popular choice.
Arasa
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 7:33:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/13/2014 6:53:00 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/13/2014 5:26:53 AM, Arasa wrote:
At 8/12/2014 7:20:55 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
as a Christian, I don't believe premarital sex is a sin. However I do believe in abstinence. But most recently I heard of a case where a Christian girl pledged herself to virginity until marriage in front of her family, pastors, everyone. she thought she was doing the right thing for her husband, so she completely abstained from anything sexual. When the time came, they had sex at the time of marriage and she felt guilty because she felt she lost all innocence, purity, and felt dirty. she didn't want to even approach her husband. This got me thinking about how we should approach premarital sex.

what are your thoughts? And I'm not talking about the spiritual church and everyone in general, I'm just talking about the churches that put a lot of emphasis on it.

Hello, Truth_Seeker!
I would like to pose my own view...

We see in the life of Solomon, that the law given by God was "Do not inter-marry with the other nations whose god is not Him." Solomon disregarded this law. Now, did God tell Solomon that he was going to Hell for breaking this law? Of course not! But the consequence of breaking the law was that Solomon's wives did lead him away from God and into other religions.

So if we look at the intent behind the pre-marital sex rule, then we can see why God speaks out against it...

I'm not saying that everyone will, just like Solomon could have remained a Godly man. It just puts you at a greater risk. But we look at a lot of people's view on relationships, there are those who believe that relationships are only for the sex, and that the primary purpose of sex is not to produce children, but for pleasure. Would people have these views if they believed that sex was for after marriage? Most likely not, but not necessarily. Again, it is a prime example of a cautionary tale.


August Rasa, a 4:53 mind

You mean primitive not prime.

haha funny, but no. I meant prime. The main purpose of sex is reproduction. That certainly doesn't mean that it isn't pleasurable, but that pleasure is not the main (or "Prime") reason for sex