Total Posts:59|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Religion attributes to problems

mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:23:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
how is religion attributing to miscarriage or divorce??

or, what do you mean?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:24:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.

LOL.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:27:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.

The war of 1127.
kfc
collegekitchen7
Posts: 974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:31:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.

Every war.

War is a result of people manipulating religion, not religion itself.
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
collegekitchen7
Posts: 974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:33:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Check the numbers, yours are off.
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
collegekitchen7
Posts: 974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:34:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Also attempting to attribute GDP to a religion is probably going to earn you a place in the DDO hall of shame.
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:34:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?


I think the reason IT posted the wiki link was that Norway are listed as only 17% "atheist" in the demographics chart there.

I would however point out that those figures are five years old and most other sources seem to agree that depending on your definition of atheist, Norway has anywhere between 26-72% atheists. http://www.google.co.uk...
collegekitchen7
Posts: 974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:36:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:34:20 PM, feverish wrote:
depending on your definition of atheist

How is there any question as to this definition.

Atheist = belief that there is no God.

The poll answers were essentially:

1. God

2. Life force / Spirits

3. No God
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:50:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:36:53 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:34:20 PM, feverish wrote:
depending on your definition of atheist

How is there any question as to this definition.

Atheist = belief that there is no God.


I was quoting from the pages in the link I posted before, apologies for not making this clear with " marks.

Also:

"Atheism is commonly defined as the position that there are no deities.[1] It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[2] A broader definition is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3]"

In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be exclusively irreligious or unspiritual.[10] However, religious and spiritual belief systems such as forms of Buddhism that do not advocate belief in gods, have also been described as atheistic.[11]"
http://en.wikipedia.org...

I don't believe in A god and I'm far from convinced that there is any god, I'm just not ruling it out and open to the possibility. To a lot of people that makes me an atheist, to others it doesn't.

I believe the Dawkinator defines several different types of atheist as well.
collegekitchen7
Posts: 974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:51:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ahh I got what you mean now.
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 2:56:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:50:30 PM, feverish wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:36:53 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:34:20 PM, feverish wrote:
depending on your definition of atheist

How is there any question as to this definition.

Atheist = belief that there is no God.



I was quoting from the pages in the link I posted before, apologies for not making this clear with " marks.

Also:

"Atheism is commonly defined as the position that there are no deities.[1] It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[2] A broader definition is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3]"

In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be exclusively irreligious or unspiritual.[10] However, religious and spiritual belief systems such as forms of Buddhism that do not advocate belief in gods, have also been described as atheistic.[11]"
http://en.wikipedia.org...


I don't believe in A god and I'm far from convinced that there is any god, I'm just not ruling it out and open to the possibility. To a lot of people that makes me an atheist, to others it doesn't.

I believe the Dawkinator defines several different types of atheist as well.

For all Dawkins' faults, I think his seven-point scale of atheism is an excellent way of doing things.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 3:05:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:56:27 PM, Kinesis wrote:
For all Dawkins' faults, I think his seven-point scale of atheism is an excellent way of doing things.

Agreed.

"
1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'
"

I'd be #6: De facto atheist.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 3:11:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 3:05:25 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:56:27 PM, Kinesis wrote:
For all Dawkins' faults, I think his seven-point scale of atheism is an excellent way of doing things.

Agreed.

"
1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'
"

I'd be #6: De facto atheist.

Hmm, I guess I'd be #6 regarding most specific faiths and religions but #5 overall.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 4:00:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.

French and Indian War.
American Revolution.
War of 1812.
War Between the States.
World War I.
World War II.
A whole bunch of European land disputes.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2010 4:09:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:36:53 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:34:20 PM, feverish wrote:
depending on your definition of atheist

How is there any question as to this definition.

Atheist = belief that there is no God.

We went over this already. :P

a - without, theism - belief in god, atheism - without belief in god

To claim your definition ignores the knowledge claim that goes with each metaphysical one (not just atheism, all theistic ones too have a knowledge claim and a metaphysical one), namely, non belief in any god does not preclude the agnostic knowledge claim that denies your definition. One can be atheist and still assert knowing all possible instances of possibility of a god existing is not known. The claim 'god doesn't exist' = athesm is a fairly shallow interpretation (there is only one god to deny?) and belongs again to the knowledge claim side, namely that of gnosticism.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 2:09:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:31:22 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
Every war.

War is a result of people manipulating religion, not religion itself.


Take that bull s*** somewhere else. Nothing gets on my nerves more than an idiotic statement like this.

"Thou shall utterly destroy them - the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee." - Deuteronomy 20:17

"The Lord is a man of WAR, the Lord is his name." - Exodus 15:3

"The Lord is a man of WAR, the Lord is his name." - Exodus 15:3

"The Lord is a man of WAR, the Lord is his name." - Exodus 15:3

"The Lord is a man of WAR, the Lord is his name." - Exodus 15:3

"The Lord is a man of WAR, the Lord is his name." - Exodus 15:3

"The Lord is a man of WAR, the Lord is his name." - Exodus 15:3

"The Lord is a man of WAR, the Lord is his name." - Exodus 15:3
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 2:21:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 3:11:05 PM, feverish wrote:
At 3/11/2010 3:05:25 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:56:27 PM, Kinesis wrote:
For all Dawkins' faults, I think his seven-point scale of atheism is an excellent way of doing things.

Agreed.

"
1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'
"

I'd be #6: De facto atheist.

Hmm, I guess I'd be #6 regarding most specific faiths and religions but #5 overall.

Same.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 12:43:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 4:00:18 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.
World War I.

Caused by an assassination by a man who was part of a revolutionary group consisting of Muslims.

World War II.

Result of WW1.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 12:49:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/13/2010 12:43:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/11/2010 4:00:18 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.
World War I.

Caused by an assassination by a man who was part of a revolutionary group consisting of Muslims.
There were Muslims involved in the war.
Therefore, the war is about religion.
Stretching it, much?

World War II.

Result of WW1.

But still, there's the French and Indian War, American Revolution, War of 1812, War Between the States, Korean War, Vietnam War, Cold War, etc. And don't forget the Warring States Periods of Japan and China. Those weren't for religion. Those were for power.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 12:51:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/13/2010 12:49:49 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 3/13/2010 12:43:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/11/2010 4:00:18 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.
World War I.

Caused by an assassination by a man who was part of a revolutionary group consisting of Muslims.
There were Muslims involved in the war.
Therefore, the war is about religion.
Stretching it, much?

If everyone had been Atheists, I'm sure a peaceful resolution could have been accomplished.


World War II.

Result of WW1.

But still, there's the French and Indian War, American Revolution, War of 1812, War Between the States, Korean War, Vietnam War, Cold War, etc. And don't forget the Warring States Periods of Japan and China. Those weren't for religion. Those were for power.

I'm not defending all wars, but a lot of them are due to religious organisations.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 12:52:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:31:22 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.

Every war.

War is a result of people manipulating religion, not religion itself.

You're going to tell me the wars fought by the Jewish tribes and the ones led by Muhammed himself aren't religious wars?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 3:26:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/13/2010 12:51:32 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/13/2010 12:49:49 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 3/13/2010 12:43:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/11/2010 4:00:18 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.
World War I.

Caused by an assassination by a man who was part of a revolutionary group consisting of Muslims.
There were Muslims involved in the war.
Therefore, the war is about religion.
Stretching it, much?

If everyone had been Atheists, I'm sure a peaceful resolution could have been accomplished.
And your sureness is supposed to have argumentive effect because...?
Seriously, it was a power dispute. Power can exist without religion to guide or empower it. Atheism wouldn't help.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2010 12:05:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.

World War 1, World War 2, the hundred years war, the vietnamese war, the football war, the franco-Prussian war...

Many in fact...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2010 12:12:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/13/2010 12:43:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/11/2010 4:00:18 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 3/11/2010 2:23:16 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
Am I suspected to read all the whole damn page?

And name 1 war that can't be attributed to religion.
World War I.

Caused by an assassination by a man who was part of a revolutionary group consisting of Muslims.


No, in actuality the Black Hand as a Serbian Nationalist group would have been predominately Orthodox... however the motivation was nationalism and ethnic politics. You could claim that the Russian alliance with Serbia was partly due to religion (though technically they are different sub-sects), but a sense of joint racial identity was a stronger factor... but stronger than that was simply Russia's desire to exert more influence over the region.

None of the other European Alliances were founded on Religion.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2010 3:46:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
How narrow minded is it when people say wars are mainly due to religion. Panda you're saying that because some Muslims were part of a revolutionary group, the Serbians had religious reasons to assassinate a leader in order to form a Great Serbia? Was it maybe in order to exaggerate Islam? Can't you come with better examples at least? No major wars in the world had anything to do with religion. And yes, WW2 is a form of follow-up of WW1, but what were the reasons for WW2? Nazism and racism, and hunger for land. How can you say religion had anything to do with it? The Jews weren't the only hated group of people, so it does not count at all.

WW1, WW2, Cold War, Vietnam War, Yugoslav Wars etc. = religious wars? Also, the wars led by Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) were due to non-Muslims who broke peace treaties and wanted to eradicate Islam. Open up a history book.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2010 7:21:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/14/2010 3:46:59 AM, Mirza wrote:
Also, the wars led by Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) were due to non-Muslims who broke peace treaties and wanted to eradicate Islam. Open up a history book.

And of course the Islamic desire to conquer the world had nothing to do with it?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.