Jump to topic:

The Wisdom of God And The Folly of Men

sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 11:25:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Where is the logician/debater of this present time and age?

God has shown him to be an utter fool!

So says 1 Corinthians 1:18-31 (Version: "The Amplified Bible")

Please note: Additional notes marked with "***" were added by me, for context/clarity:

18 "For the story and message of the cross is sheer absurdity and folly to those who are perishing and on their way to perdition, but to us who are being saved it is the [manifestation of] the power of God.

19 For it is written (***in Isaiah 29:14),

I will baffle and render useless and destroy the learning of the learned and the philosophy of the philosophers and the cleverness of the clever and the discernment of the discerning; I will frustrate and nullify [them] and bring [them] to nothing.

20 Where is the wise man (the philosopher)? Where is the scribe (the scholar)? Where is the investigator (the logician, the debater) of this present time and age? Has not God shown up the nonsense and the folly of this world"s wisdom?

21 For when the world with all its earthly wisdom failed to perceive and recognize and know God by means of its own philosophy, God in His wisdom was pleased through the foolishness of preaching [salvation, procured by Christ and to be had through Him], to save those who believed (who clung to and trusted in and relied on Him).

22 For while Jews [demandingly] ask for signs and miracles and Greeks pursue philosophy and wisdom,

23 We preach Christ (the Messiah) crucified, [preaching which] to the Jews is a scandal and an offensive stumbling block [that springs a snare or trap], and to the Gentiles it is absurd and utterly unphilosophical nonsense.

24 But to those who are called, whether Jew or Greek (Gentile), Christ [is] the Power of God and the Wisdom of God.

25 [This is] because the foolish thing [that has its source in] God is wiser than men, and the weak thing [that springs] from God is stronger than men.

26 For [simply] consider your own call, brethren (***believers, Christians) ; not many [of you were considered to be] wise according to human estimates and standards, not many influential and powerful, not many of high and noble birth.

27 [No] for God selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is foolish to put the wise to shame, and what the world calls weak to put the strong to shame.

28 And God also selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is lowborn and insignificant and branded and treated with contempt, even the things that are nothing, that He might depose and bring to nothing the things that are,

29 So that no mortal man should [have pretense for glorying and] boast in the presence of God.

30 But it is from Him that you (***believers, Christians) have your life in Christ Jesus, Whom God made our Wisdom from God, [revealed to us a knowledge of the divine plan of salvation previously hidden, manifesting itself as] our Righteousness [thus making us upright and putting us in right standing with God], and our Consecration [making us pure and holy], and our Redemption [providing our ransom from eternal penalty for sin].

31 So then, as it is written (***in Jeremiah 9:24),

Let him who boasts and proudly rejoices and glories, boast and proudly rejoice and glory in the Lord."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 12:48:08 AM
The Glowing Triangle - kamasutra sex position

At first glance, the Glowing Triangle position reminds us of the classic missionary position - woman on her back and the man on top. However the trick with this position is that the man goes on all fours then the woman lifts her hips towards his penis so that he can penetrate her.

The man remains in this position while the woman does all the work... so actually not like the missionary at all.

The X-Rated sex position is all about control.

He lies faceup on the bed, she turns around and straddles him " so her back is toward him " she then lowers herself onto him.

She extends her legs back toward his shoulders, relaxing her torso onto the bed between his feet. With both her legs and his forming an X-shape, she starts to slide up and down.

She cam use his feet for added thrusting leverage.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 1:30:46 AM
At 8/15/2014 11:25:24 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

Please note: Additional notes marked with "***" were added by me, for context/clarity:

18 "For the story and message of the cross is sheer absurdity and folly to those who are perishing and on their way to perdition, but to us who are being saved it is the [manifestation of] the power of God.

I will baffle and render useless and destroy the learning of the learned and the philosophy of the philosophers and the cleverness of the clever and the discernment of the discerning; I will frustrate and nullify [them] and bring [them] to nothing.

20 Where is the wise man (the philosopher)? Where is the scribe (the scholar)? Where is the investigator (the logician, the debater) of this present time and age? Has not God shown up the nonsense and the folly of this world"s wisdom?

21 For when the world with all its earthly wisdom failed to perceive and recognize and know God by means of its own philosophy, God in His wisdom was pleased through the foolishness of preaching [salvation, procured by Christ and to be had through Him], to save those who believed (who clung to and trusted in and relied on Him).

22 For while Jews [demandingly] ask for signs and miracles and Greeks pursue philosophy and wisdom,

23 We preach Christ (the Messiah) crucified, [preaching which] to the Jews is a scandal and an offensive stumbling block [that springs a snare or trap], and to the Gentiles it is absurd and utterly unphilosophical nonsense.

24 But to those who are called, whether Jew or Greek (Gentile), Christ [is] the Power of God and the Wisdom of God.

25 [This is] because the foolish thing [that has its source in] God is wiser than men, and the weak thing [that springs] from God is stronger than men.

26 For [simply] consider your own call, brethren (***believers, Christians) ; not many [of you were considered to be] wise according to human estimates and standards, not many influential and powerful, not many of high and noble birth.

27 [No] for God selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is foolish to put the wise to shame, and what the world calls weak to put the strong to shame.

28 And God also selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is lowborn and insignificant and branded and treated with contempt, even the things that are nothing, that He might depose and bring to nothing the things that are,

29 So that no mortal man should [have pretense for glorying and] boast in the presence of God.

30 But it is from Him that you (***believers, Christians) have your life in Christ Jesus, Whom God made our Wisdom from God, [revealed to us a knowledge of the divine plan of salvation previously hidden, manifesting itself as] our Righteousness [thus making us upright and putting us in right standing with God], and our Consecration [making us pure and holy], and our Redemption [providing our ransom from eternal penalty for sin].

Let him who boasts and proudly rejoices and glories, boast and proudly rejoice and glory in the Lord."

Okay, we can see the "folly of men". Got any "wisdom of God"?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 4:16:00 AM
God is most wise, cool.

Baby cancer..........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Dr_Obvious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 4:27:36 AM
Ever notice how posts about religion attract atheists, like honey does flies? Don't they have anything better to do?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 4:37:24 AM
At 8/16/2014 4:27:36 AM, Dr_Obvious wrote:
Ever notice how posts about religion attract atheists, like honey does flies? Don't they have anything better to do?

Ever noticed how people who complain about atheists making comment on religious posts don't complain about non believers in alien abductions posting on errr alien abductions sites.

That reminds me I havn't got my daily LOLZ from above top secret.........brb.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Dr_Obvious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 4:50:14 AM
At 8/16/2014 4:37:24 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Ever noticed how people who complain about atheists making comment on religious posts don't complain about non believers in alien abductions posting on errr alien abductions sites.

No. I haven't. I don't pay attention to alien abductions.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 5:09:36 AM
At 8/16/2014 4:50:14 AM, Dr_Obvious wrote:
At 8/16/2014 4:37:24 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

No. I haven't. I don't pay attention to alien abductions.

Fair enough. But if those same people starting making claims about aliens, and how the aliens have demands that all humans in the world must comply with under threat of the mothership coming to earth and shooting us all down with laser beams we would probably want to put those claims under scrutiny.

Unless of course you want to be ruled by such people who just have to invoke the threat of the alien mothership to get people to do what they want.

Humans can be manipulative like that.......
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 2:29:47 AM

We would if you people would mature intellectually and stop legislating your primitive and childish beliefs.

Honey also attracts bees, butterflies and bears. The B.S. in the Bible only attracts flies... in great plagues if anything it says can be believed.
Dr_Obvious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 12:21:56 PM
At 8/17/2014 2:29:47 AM, Beastt wrote:

We would if you people would mature intellectually and stop legislating your primitive and childish beliefs.

Honey also attracts bees, butterflies and bears. The B.S. in the Bible only attracts flies... in great plagues if anything it says can be believed.

Legislating what? Christians don't legislate anything. Don't know where you got that ridiculous idea from. We do vote, just like atheists. We lobby congress, just like atheists. We speak out in public forums about the things we care about, just like atheists. Don't like it? Too bad. It's called the Democratic process. We aren't going anywhere. Get used to it.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 3:35:31 PM
At 8/17/2014 12:21:56 PM, Dr_Obvious wrote:

Legislating what? Christians don't legislate anything. Don't know where you got that ridiculous idea from. We do vote, just like atheists. We lobby congress, just like atheists. We speak out in public forums about the things we care about, just like atheists. Don't like it? Too bad. It's called the Democratic process. We aren't going anywhere. Get used to it.

Obviously, Dr. Obvious can't see what is obviously right in front of him. Have you never heard of all of the scuttlebutt over same-sex marriage? While G.W. Bush was in office, it was prohibited by law. The civil rights of every single American were violated in passing a law which violates one's Constitutional rights, because religious people think they have exclusive rights to marriage. It's none of your business who gets married or who doesn't. You worry about YOU, and let everyone else worry about themselves. Legislating a religious view of marriage is a step toward a theocracy. America is a Republic, not a democracy, and not a theocracy... a republic!

Care to explain to me why the First Amendment guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of expression, yet you're not allowed to use profanity or show nudity or sex acts on regular television? Explain why profanity and sexually oriented material isn't allowed on radio. I'm sure the very concept strikes you as absurd, because you're so used to living under forced censorship, that you can't imagine life where the right to free speech was actually observed. Do you know who decided that the Constitutional guarantee of free speech shouldn't apply to radio and television (and now video games)? It wasn't congress. It wasn't the Supreme Court. It was the Federal Communications Commission - a group of APPOINTED (not elected) officials, simply took it upon themselves, to deprive you (assuming you live in the U.S.) and every other American of their Constitutional rights.

Let's talk about the most promising medical research to have come along in at least a century - stem-cell research. It was moving forward and showing great promise until religiots decided that somehow it was killing potential babies (which was not even close to true). Then legislation was passed which presented obstructions to stem-cell research, because the religious didn't understand it, didn't care to understand it, and decided to obstruct it through their misplaced morality.

Try the thread "You be the Judge", which talks about how a religious zealot was annoying customers and co-workers where he worked, even after being told that he was not allowed to proselytize on company time. He refused to stop and was appropriately, fired. However, he sued the company claiming they were interfering with his right to practice his religious beliefs (which include being an annoying nag), and was paid $100,000 in supposed damages.

And yet here you sit claiming that Christians don't legislate anything. What about all of the push to make abortion illegal? I don't have any problem with anyone pursuing legislation, as long as it has a strong secular value, and doesn't violate the Constitutional rights of the people. But Christians believe the Bible - which offers no confirmability (beyond the many areas where it has been falsified), and no credibility - should over-ride the Constitution, even though the constitution specifically prohibits religiously-founded legislation.

Take a look at the horrendous situation the U.S. is in, thanks to the ignorance of its Christian majority, who provided support to a president who wanted to violate international law, through a military invasion of a country which did nothing to provoke military action. And we're still fighting that war, because Christians supported a presented who stated "I listen to God". It should be understood that in many situations, Christians are simply too stupid, and too delusional, to be trusted with their right to vote. If you can't use it responsibly, then you shouldn't have it. And voting for legislation founded on the basis of an unevidence, invisible sky-fairy is no different than allowing pre-school children to cast a ballot to elect Spiderman as president.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 3:55:28 PM
At 8/17/2014 3:35:31 PM, Beastt wrote:

Obviously, Dr. Obvious can't see what is obviously right in front of him. Have you never heard of all of the scuttlebutt over same-sex marriage? While G.W. Bush was in office, it was prohibited by law. The civil rights of every single American were violated in passing a law which violates one's Constitutional rights, because religious people think they have exclusive rights to marriage.

That's not true. LMAO @ you think if two women want to get married - and the law doesn't allow it - that somehow their "civil rights" are violated. Since when did two men or two women have a right to marry each other? And what would prohibit twenty of them from all just marrying one another? After all, if two can get married, why not ten or twenty?

You know as well as I do that it's all about two things: (1) they DEMAND - not request - acceptance for acts which historically have not been accepted, coupled with (2) they want the access to the MONEY and benefits from programs that have long been in place for married couples. And I'm not so sure that #2 isn't really #1. Do you sit there and deny that if same-sex marriage is allowed that there will be lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit over everything from taxes to healthcare to surviving spouse benefits? Of course there will! And everyone knows it.

It's none of your business who gets married or who doesn't. You worry about YOU, and let everyone else worry about themselves. Legislating a religious view of marriage is a step toward a theocracy. America is a Republic, not a democracy, and not a theocracy... a republic!

Again, not true at all. I couldn't personally care less if they get married or not. "Same sex marriage" isn't the real prize, you know. It's acceptance and money - and ALOT of the latter. They want spousal health care benefits. Spousal death benefits. In other words, they want benefits that were NEVER factored into the equation back when these programs were begun and expanded. And we aren't just talking about a couple thousand here and there. We are talking millions and millions. That's the real prize.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Dr_Obvious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 5:29:47 PM

Obviously, Dr. Obvious can't see what is obviously right in front of him. Have you never heard of all of the scuttlebutt over same-sex marriage? While G.W. Bush was in office, it was prohibited by law. The civil rights of every single American were violated in passing a law which violates one's Constitutional rights, because religious people think they have exclusive rights to marriage. It's none of your business who gets married or who doesn't. You worry about YOU, and let everyone else worry about themselves. Legislating a religious view of marriage is a step toward a theocracy. America is a Republic, not a democracy, and not a theocracy... a republic!

Care to explain to me why the First Amendment guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of expression, yet you're not allowed to use profanity or show nudity or sex acts on regular television? Explain why profanity and sexually oriented material isn't allowed on radio. I'm sure the very concept strikes you as absurd, because you're so used to living under forced censorship, that you can't imagine life where the right to free speech was actually observed. Do you know who decided that the Constitutional guarantee of free speech shouldn't apply to radio and television (and now video games)? It wasn't congress. It wasn't the Supreme Court. It was the Federal Communications Commission - a group of APPOINTED (not elected) officials, simply took it upon themselves, to deprive you (assuming you live in the U.S.) and every other American of their Constitutional rights.

Let's talk about the most promising medical research to have come along in at least a century - stem-cell research. It was moving forward and showing great promise until religiots decided that somehow it was killing potential babies (which was not even close to true). Then legislation was passed which presented obstructions to stem-cell research, because the religious didn't understand it, didn't care to understand it, and decided to obstruct it through their misplaced morality.

Try the thread "You be the Judge", which talks about how a religious zealot was annoying customers and co-workers where he worked, even after being told that he was not allowed to proselytize on company time. He refused to stop and was appropriately, fired. However, he sued the company claiming they were interfering with his right to practice his religious beliefs (which include being an annoying nag), and was paid $100,000 in supposed damages.

And yet here you sit claiming that Christians don't legislate anything. What about all of the push to make abortion illegal? I don't have any problem with anyone pursuing legislation, as long as it has a strong secular value, and doesn't violate the Constitutional rights of the people. But Christians believe the Bible - which offers no confirmability (beyond the many areas where it has been falsified), and no credibility - should over-ride the Constitution, even though the constitution specifically prohibits religiously-founded legislation.

Take a look at the horrendous situation the U.S. is in, thanks to the ignorance of its Christian majority, who provided support to a president who wanted to violate international law, through a military invasion of a country which did nothing to provoke military action. And we're still fighting that war, because Christians supported a presented who stated "I listen to God". It should be understood that in many situations, Christians are simply too stupid, and too delusional, to be trusted with their right to vote. If you can't use it responsibly, then you shouldn't have it. And voting for legislation founded on the basis of an unevidence, invisible sky-fairy is no different than allowing pre-school children to cast a ballot to elect Spiderman as president.

LOL! You're just too funny. Thanks for the laughs.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:24:53 PM
At 8/17/2014 5:29:47 PM, Dr_Obvious wrote:

Thanks for showing that you realize I was right, and for laughing at your own stupidity.
Dr_Obvious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:31:35 PM
At 8/17/2014 8:24:53 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/17/2014 5:29:47 PM, Dr_Obvious wrote:

Thanks for showing that you realize I was right, and for laughing at your own stupidity.

Thanks for showing that you are too stupid to realize that I was laughing at YOU. And the only place you are right is in your own deluded mind. You are also a caricature of intolerance. I think I shall ignore you. My IQ drops several points, every time you open your mouth.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:36:33 PM
At 8/17/2014 3:55:28 PM, annanicole wrote:

Obviously, Dr. Obvious can't see what is obviously right in front of him. Have you never heard of all of the scuttlebutt over same-sex marriage? While G.W. Bush was in office, it was prohibited by law. The civil rights of every single American were violated in passing a law which violates one's Constitutional rights, because religious people think they have exclusive rights to marriage.

That's not true. LMAO @ you think if two women want to get married - and the law doesn't allow it - that somehow their "civil rights" are violated. Since when did two men or two women have a right to marry each other? And what would prohibit twenty of them from all just marrying one another? After all, if two can get married, why not ten or twenty?
Welcome to America, Anna. We are guaranteed the right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". Those aren't just words. They're supposed to have meaning. How happy would you be if you woke up tomorrow and the majority of Americans had experienced a change of sexual preference overnight, and sought to dissolve your marriage because they found people of dissimilar sex having sexual relations to be a sickening thought?

When were you taught that you have the right to make judgements for others? Please explain how same-sex marriage adversely affects you in any real way. This is all a part of the Archie Bunker in you which - little by little - leaks out and stinks up your posts by showing the true ultra-conservative, fascist Anna we all know and ... well, we're getting to know you. If YOU have the right to marry whom you choose, what valid reason is there for you to prohibit others from marrying whom they choose? It's simply none of your ignorant damned business who other people marry, and you'd better get used to that. Because it's this bigotry, self-centered egotism, and the belief that you can impose your fairytale standards on others that is driving your religion down the rabbit hole. It's pure discrimination on the basis of gender.

Each encounter I have with you forces me to find you just that much more disgusting. You belong in Nazi Germany where you would be allowed to impose your fascist putrid ideas on others... or have theirs imposed upon you.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:45:40 PM
At 8/17/2014 8:36:33 PM, Beastt wrote:

Welcome to America, Anna. We are guaranteed the right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". Those aren't just words. They're supposed to have meaning. How happy would you be if you woke up tomorrow and the majority of Americans had experienced a change of sexual preference overnight, and sought to dissolve your marriage because they found people of dissimilar sex having sexual relations to be a sickening thought?

When were you taught that you have the right to make judgements for others? Please explain how same-sex marriage adversely affects you in any real way. This is all a part of the Archie Bunker in you which - little by little - leaks out and stinks up your posts by showing the true ultra-conservative, fascist Anna we all know and ... well, we're getting to know you. If YOU have the right to marry whom you choose, what valid reason is there for you to prohibit others from marrying whom they choose? It's simply none of your ignorant damned business who other people marry, and you'd better get used to that. Because it's this bigotry, self-centered egotism, and the belief that you can impose your fairytale standards on others that is driving your religion down the rabbit hole. It's pure discrimination on the basis of gender.

Each encounter I have with you forces me to find you just that much more disgusting. You belong in Nazi Germany where you would be allowed to impose your fascist putrid ideas on others... or have theirs imposed upon you.

Did you ever bother to identify exactly who is supposed to shoulder the increased health-care payouts and death benefits for same-sex spouses. After all, these were never factored into the equation way back in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and even 00's. Could you explain that coherently instead of merely rambling through your well-oiled bs rhetoric? Have the homosexuals proposed their own widdle health plans?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:52:28 PM
At 8/17/2014 8:45:40 PM, annanicole wrote:

Did you ever bother to identify exactly who is supposed to shoulder the increased health-care payouts and death benefits for same-sex spouses. After all, these were never factored into the equation way back in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and even 00's. Could you explain that coherently instead of merely rambling through your well-oiled bs rhetoric? Have the homosexuals proposed their own widdle health plans?

You're trying to step outside the issue, looking for some complaint to have. The bottom line here is simple; it is not the business of the state - nor has it ever been, nor should it be, under the founding principles of this country - to decide which consenting adults can be married, and which cannot. We allow felons, drug addicts, theists, people with records of domestic violence, delinquent tax-payers, rapists, murderers, racists and fascists like yourself, to get married. The ONLY reason anyone would have to prevent same-sex marriages is religious. And to pass any legislation on religious grounds is an absolute violation of the Constitution, which you obviously, do not believe in, refuse to support, and seek to over-throw on the basis of your religiously-founded bigotry.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:00:16 PM
At 8/17/2014 8:52:28 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:45:40 PM, annanicole wrote:

You're trying to step outside the issue, looking for some complaint to have. The bottom line here is simple; it is not the business of the state - nor has it ever been, nor should it be, under the founding principles of this country - to decide which consenting adults can be married, and which cannot. We allow felons, drug addicts, theists, people with records of domestic violence, delinquent tax-payers, rapists, murderers, racists and fascists like yourself, to get married. The ONLY reason anyone would have to prevent same-sex marriages is religious. And to pass any legislation on religious grounds is an absolute violation of the Constitution, which you obviously, do not believe in, refuse to support, and seek to over-throw on the basis of your religiously-founded bigotry.

... thus the question remains unanswered. The boy knows full well that same-sex marriage partners would be lined up to receive millions upon millions of dollars of health-care benefits alone. Not only that, but the surviving spouse of a same-sex marriage would naturally expect death benefits. He knows that. And he knows that somebody is gonna be shelling out the cash to fund it.

"You're trying to step outside the issue, looking for some complaint to have."

This is THE major complaint that I have - and I have stated it many times on here. Nobody has ever come up with a decent explanation, either. And I've never had ANYONE to tell me: "No, that won't happen. Can't happen. You're just an alarmist." Heck, everybody knows it! One brilliant atheist told me that "the government can just print more money to support 'em." LMAO.

Carry on.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:16:36 PM
At 8/15/2014 11:25:24 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

I am here to boast about our glorious Lord and how we all exist within His mind as His people.