Jump to topic:

Why biblical literalists fail

jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 6:46:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There are many problems with Biblical literalism.

1. Linguistic context

The Bible sometimes uses Hebrew idioms and metaphors, but the Biblical literalists take it literally without taking into consideration the context.

For example, the Bible does not say that the flood lasted for exactly 40 days, as 40 was used in Hebrew and Arabic as an unspecified large number, like the English "dozens". http://en.wikipedia.org...

2. historical context

Biblical literalists ignore historical context, such as the fact that the great flood might have been regional as Mesotopia is a river valley.

3. Hypocrisy

They pick and choose which parts are literal, and which parts apply to modern day Christians. They support a literal flood, but do not agree with the literal rain. They believe that mass is symbolistic, when the Bible said it was literal. The Bible's old testament is for observant Jews only, except for when it talks about homosexuality.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
Keltron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 1:56:33 AM
At 8/16/2014 6:46:43 PM, jh1234l wrote:

1. Linguistic context

The Bible sometimes uses Hebrew idioms and metaphors, but the Biblical literalists take it literally without taking into consideration the context.

For example, the Bible does not say that the flood lasted for exactly 40 days, as 40 was used in Hebrew and Arabic as an unspecified large number, like the English "dozens". http://en.wikipedia.org...

2. historical context

Biblical literalists ignore historical context, such as the fact that the great flood might have been regional as Mesotopia is a river valley.

3. Hypocrisy

They pick and choose which parts are literal, and which parts apply to modern day Christians. They support a literal flood, but do not agree with the literal rain. They believe that mass is symbolistic, when the Bible said it was literal. The Bible's old testament is for observant Jews only, except for when it talks about homosexuality.

Take the literalism out and soon there won't be anything left but trinketry and empty formalism.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 2:24:09 AM

The Bible is literally stupid. That's why it fails. But when people don't take it literally, they still take God, Jesus, salvation, resurrection, miracles and an afterlife literally... so it still fails because it's still stupid.

There isn't a shred of objective evidence for ANY of that. If you're not going to take it literally, then don't take any of it literally. Either that, or show me where the Bible comes with a guide, to show what should be taken literally, and what shouldn't.

You wouldn't happen to have a guide like that... would you? If you did, you'd be able to show at least 37,999 versions of Christianity to be false. And let me guess... it would be YOUR version that's correct.... right?

Silly theists.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 3:19:18 PM
At 8/17/2014 2:24:09 AM, Beastt wrote:

The Bible is literally stupid. That's why it fails. But when people don't take it literally, they still take God, Jesus, salvation, resurrection, miracles and an afterlife literally... so it still fails because it's still stupid.

There isn't a shred of objective evidence for ANY of that. If you're not going to take it literally, then don't take any of it literally. Either that, or show me where the Bible comes with a guide, to show what should be taken literally, and what shouldn't.

Your a lie for not believing bible I'm sick of athests tryin to push there ideology over me and attacking bible militants atheists think they are superior to us just because they think it is cool to randomly and incoherently bash bible.

You wouldn't happen to have a guide like that... would you? If you did, you'd be able to show at least 37,999 versions of Christianity to be false. And let me guess... it would be YOUR version that's correct.... right?

Silly theists.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande