Jump to topic:

Why do you believe what you believe?

lifemeansevolutionisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 10:43:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you are a theist, why? What has convinced you to be a theist? What do you consider to be evidence that has convinced you? Or were you simply indoctrinated?

If you are an atheist, why? What evidence, or lack thereof, convinced you to be an atheist? Or do you simply not like the idea of a god and then choose to be an atheist?

This thread is NOT to attack the reasoning of why people believe what they do, but to understand why they believe/disbelieve. If you want to discuss the reasoning with a person, do it on a new thread.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 12:39:30 AM
At 8/16/2014 10:43:43 PM, lifemeansevolutionisgood wrote:
If you are a theist, why? What has convinced you to be a theist? What do you consider to be evidence that has convinced you? Or were you simply indoctrinated?

As a theist I believe God is a spirit not a man. A spirit is a vibe or a feeling like you sense in a group of people. Eg: At a party you sense a spirit of joy. At a funeral you sense a spirit of grief. In some groups you can sense a spirit of love and acceptance. In other groups you can sense a spirit of hate or rejection. You can also sense those types of spirits in individual people. I convinced myself that God is a spirit by reading the bible and hearing what other people have said regarding the God they worship. It makes far more sense to me to perceive God as a spirit than as an individual supernatural man in the sky. Spirits or vibes from others can be sensed and felt by all humans who have normal feelings. Invisible imaginary people are only sensed by those who imagine them in the way a child imagines an invisible friend on a chair.

If you are an atheist, why? What evidence, or lack thereof, convinced you to be an atheist? Or do you simply not like the idea of a god and then choose to be an atheist?

As an atheist I do not believe in an invisible man in the sky any more than I believe in a magic man at the North Pole. Magical or supernatural characters are all imaginary characters in fairy tales. They merely tools to teach humans various lessons including that they can attain great heights if they make the effort. God is a concept which is real but is much like the concept of Santa, the concept is real but the supernatural or magical character is not real. Humans are God and humans are also Santa. The concept in both cases is that of of Love and generosity shown through humans to humans. No invisible man in the sky will judge anyone or send anyone to hell. Humans do all that to themselves in the way they treat one another.

Whether I am a theist or an atheist depends on how you judge me. I can see and understand both perspectives as well as understanding the immature perspective and the mature perspective on both sides.
Frankly the idea of a God being an individual supernatural man in the sky is an immature way to perceive God in my opinion. It is as immature as perceiving Santa as a magic man at the North Pole. Hopefully people will eventually grow out of that immature perception.

Life exists. Love exists. All existing things are evidence of themselves whether they are physical visible things or invisible intangible things like the wind or attitudes which have no physical shape or form but can be recognized due to manifesting physical actions which can be sensed and felt by physical beings.

The reason I believe what I do is because of the personal experiences I have gone through in my life and also because what I believe is logical and makes perfect sense to me.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 5:52:28 AM
If you are a theist, why? What has convinced you to be a theist?

-accounts of Jesus rising from the dead
-lack of evidence of absence to confirm atheism (yes, many atheists, depending on how you classify them, have a burden of proof too)
-anthropic principle
-cosmological arguments
-ontological argument
-moral argument
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 7:17:02 AM

Logic, reasoning, observation and experience, no I'm not indoctrinated I actually have a mind to use and think.
As far back as I can recall I believed in a God and even as a kid I clearly understood physical and spiritual, I didn't have to wonder about it I just knew, and I could pick up on it. I didn't become a "Christian" until I consciously applied it's principles and so God has verified Himself in my life and I cannot deny Him.

This thread is NOT to attack the reasoning of why people believe what they do, but to understand why they believe/disbelieve. If you want to discuss the reasoning with a person, do it on a new thread.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:04:56 AM
At 8/17/2014 5:52:28 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

-accounts of Jesus rising from the dead
-lack of evidence of absence to confirm atheism (yes, many atheists, depending on how you classify them, have a burden of proof too)
-anthropic principle
-cosmological arguments
-ontological argument
-moral argument

*****************************WOW**********************************
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:04:39 AM
I used to believe, although I was never heavily into religion and I always had my doubts. What convinced me that this religious stuff was all nonsense was the realization of how ridiculous it is to believe that God, who is supposed to be this all powerful, all loving, and all knowing being, would send people to burn in hell for all eternity. I had always felt guilty for not reading the bible and not attending church regularly, and it scared me to think I might go to hell for it. I was always told that God loves me but after realizing this contradiction I thought to myself; If God knows the future then he would have known that this would be my fate which would land me in hell, yet he created me anyway? That is certainly not love, therefore something was very wrong with all of this.

This made me question everything I believed, and sent me down a whole new path. By learning about how evidence, logic, and the burden of proof works I accepted that I have no good reason to believe any of it, thus I am an atheist.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:11:26 AM

I think it was when I had the realization that most people have the same religion as their parents. Once I started thinking on this further it became obvious that there couldn't be any objective truth behind any one particular religion when what you believe is largely a question of geography.

That's when I really paid attention to the, there's no other term for it, indoctrination techniques used to gather and keep the faithful - the dragging along of young impressionable minds to church weekly, the unquestioning obedience, the repetitive singing and chanting, the symbols and artwork, the rituals, the costumes, the colorful stained glass windows, the organ music, the candles and incense. It's all designed to assault the senses and put people into a receptive, compliant state.

It's so blatant that I'm amazed when others can't recognize it for what it is - brainwashing. And it works! Imagine a 15-year old who has had 10 years of exposure to these tried and proven religious conditioning techniques. Little wonder that we mostly adopt the religion of our parents.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 3:13:17 PM

Easy, because all the available evidence points that way.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 6:37:25 PM

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...because I received personal revelation from God to me... revealing to me that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He was crucified for the sins of the world...also that the Book of Mormon is true and is the word of God. I had a vision in which I was supposed to go to the Salt Lake City Temple (I was raised Catholic, and actually practicing no religion at all at that time.)...some may not be convinced that a 'vision' would be powerful enough to convert someone, but it was...that and also combined with---while I was on the way to the LDS Church the next morning (my girlfriend at the time and I had argued and compromised that we would go to the Church first to see why I was supposed to go to the Temple)...any on the way there, there happened to be a Catholic Church on my left - across the street. I thought in my mind..."I wonder if any church will do?"...and that I was actually raised Catholic...as I thought that, I started to turn left, heading for the Catholic Church parking lot...but as I did that, almost instantly after a powerful force jerked my hands (and the steering wheel) back onto the road going straight up the road....so then I thought to myself..."I guess it isn't alright!"...once there I received further revelation and confirmation about the truth of the 'plan of salvation'...from there I was taught by the missionaries (which truths were also confirmed to me by God). There were many other things as well...but that is a part of my testimony and how I know God lives.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:13:51 PM

i am an agnostic because, while there is no evidence affirming the existence of god, the idea of god is made very plausible by the gaps in the atheistic worldview which are easily explained by theism (ie. cosmology, fine-tuning, consciousness, religious experiences, etc).
skeptics scoff at such reasoning as the 'god of gaps fallacy', but until viable, scientific explanations for those things are found, i personally do not find it reasonable to disregard the idea of god to the extent that 'strong atheists' do.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:20:52 PM

I was not a believer of God until He spoke into my mind on December 7th, 1979. After this first contact, He spent 28 1/2 more years of giving me commands to obey until I was reborn into my spiritual existence as His voice. Now I speak for Him and have been connecting to His chosen believers around the community of Campbell, CA. for the past three years. Many of them can hear the very deepest thoughts of God as God speaks to them through the gospel that I preach to them.
Chimera
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:22:03 PM

Because there is hardly any convincing evidence towards the existence of a/any deity.

Humanity, the Universe, nature, all of this is very poorly designed. If God is an all powerful and all knowing being, why would he allow for everything to be so imperfect, when doing so would risk the stability of his creation? If we look at those who have never heard the word of the Torah/Bible/Quran/other religious texts, they will go to hell in the eyes of the respective religion. Why would God(s) (who again, is all knowing and powerful) send such a mixed message to humanity on the nature of the universe? Why not just tell humanity the one true word of God, then never tell them such again? Why go through so much trouble, and bring so much suffering to your own creation?

Because God is a fairy tale.

Another reason, is that the belief in a deity is also the most pure negation of human liberty. Blind faith in a deity places people into a state of false consciousness, which distracts them from the real, material socioeconomic conditions that spark thought. Which makes the masses servile to powerful people who preach falsehoods and lies.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:26:17 PM
At 8/17/2014 10:20:52 PM, bornofgod wrote:

I was not a believer of God until He spoke into my mind on December 7th, 1979. After this first contact, He spent 28 1/2 more years of giving me commands to obey until I was reborn into my spiritual existence as His voice. Now I speak for Him and have been connecting to His chosen believers around the community of Campbell, CA. for the past three years. Many of them can hear the very deepest thoughts of God as God speaks to them through the gospel that I preach to them.

There you have it! And if THAT'S not more than enough reason to disbelieve, then you're as in need of help as bornofgod.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:51:56 PM
At 8/17/2014 10:13:51 PM, UchihaMadara wrote:

i am an agnostic because, while there is no evidence affirming the existence of god, the idea of god is made very plausible by the gaps in the atheistic worldview which are easily explained by theism (ie. cosmology, fine-tuning, consciousness, religious experiences, etc).
skeptics scoff at such reasoning as the 'god of gaps fallacy', but until viable, scientific explanations for those things are found, i personally do not find it reasonable to disregard the idea of god to the extent that 'strong atheists' do.

Disregard the idea of which god? That is a rudimentary question to resolve before discrediting scientific explanations.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 7:51:28 AM
At 8/17/2014 11:26:17 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/17/2014 10:20:52 PM, bornofgod wrote:

There you have it! And if THAT'S not more than enough reason to disbelieve, then you're as in need of help as bornofgod.

Most unbelieving Christians and Atheists don't know who our invisible Creator is.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 11:39:23 AM
At 8/17/2014 11:51:56 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

Disregard the idea of which god? That is a rudimentary question to resolve before discrediting scientific explanations.

any... deistic, pantheistic, personal, etc.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 1:28:08 PM

Bible is the reason why I believe to God. And I believe the Bible because in my opinion it tells truth about people and this world. I think people couldn"t have done it without God, because atheists have so many difficulties to understand it.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 3:16:14 PM

Since we've been asked not to hash out people's responses on this thread, I won't. But if you'd like to further explore the assertion that cosmology, fine-tuning, consciousness and "religious experiences" are "gaps in the atheists worldview", I'll be happy to explain why that isn't true.

We could likely use the thread "war on militant atheists", since nothing it going on there except 4-pages of bluffing by the O.P.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 4:56:11 PM
At 8/18/2014 3:16:14 PM, Beastt wrote:

Since we've been asked not to hash out people's responses on this thread, I won't. But if you'd like to further explore the assertion that cosmology, fine-tuning, consciousness and "religious experiences" are "gaps in the atheists worldview", I'll be happy to explain why that isn't true.

We could likely use the thread "war on militant atheists", since nothing it going on there except 4-pages of bluffing by the O.P.

sure. lets do that XD