Jump to topic:

The Mormon

Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 10:37:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I am sorry that I have not been active but I was in the hospital and when I got out so swamped that I was unable to be active. As a result of this I have fallen behind on the forums of debate.org. I would ask those who have religious questions to please repost them here so that I may more quickly and easily respond to them. Thank you.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 10:41:42 AM
Why do you believe Joseph smith talked to God?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 10:42:35 AM
And... I hope your ok

... :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 10:43:17 AM
Well I hope you are well on the way to a full recovery...

But what's this a religious person willing to awnser questions about religion! How odd.

Okay here goes,
Why do you believe in God?
How do you know your religion is the correct one?
Do you understand that if a case can not be made for God, or for your religion then agnosticism or atheism are reasonable positions.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 10:46:38 AM
At 3/12/2010 10:41:42 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Or angels..?

Metaphysics:
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 4:14:46 PM
At 3/12/2010 10:41:42 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Because he said he did. thats lame I know. But he created a church that works and to me is logical and true. So I believe that he talked to god because other things he has done have proven to be true. I a person you know never lies and he tells you something outlandish wouldn't you still believe him?
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 4:16:26 PM
At 3/12/2010 10:43:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

But what's this a religious person willing to awnser questions about religion! How odd.

Okay here goes,
Because my belief has yielded positive results. My belief has also made me reasonably happy.

Same reason as the one above and more. It has been proven be true and logical to me. As I believe it can be to anyone who tries.

Do you understand that if a case can not be made for God, or for your religion then agnosticism or atheism are reasonable positions.

Yes I understand this.
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 4:16:42 PM
At 3/12/2010 4:14:46 PM, Kahvan wrote:
I a person you know never lies and he tells you something outlandish wouldn't you still believe him?

No especially if the "outlandish" thing he said was originally used to justify polygamy.
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 4:18:43 PM
At 3/12/2010 4:16:42 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
At 3/12/2010 4:14:46 PM, Kahvan wrote:
I a person you know never lies and he tells you something outlandish wouldn't you still believe him?

No especially if the "outlandish" thing he said was originally used to justify polygamy.

It wasnt made up to justify polygamy. That was just a side effect and we no longer practice that.
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 4:21:28 PM
At 3/12/2010 4:18:43 PM, Kahvan wrote:
It wasnt made up to justify polygamy. That was just a side effect

Really? God spoke to me and he basically said a bunch of minor changes on christianity oh, yeah, he also let me know that men can have multiple wives and I'm now promoted to demigod, so yeah bring on the women.

Definitely a side effect.
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

NotArrogantJustRight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 11:19:31 PM
I find it humorous that most religions (or at least religiously zealous people) insist that those who hold differing beliefs will end up in hell. This prospect does not seem to be very logical for an alleged "loving" god. From my understanding, however, this is not the same with Mormons.

I have a two part question for you. What happens to those of differing beliefs or no beliefs at all upon their death? Does the Mormon stance on this subject have anything to do with why so many other "loving" Christians dislike Mormons so much?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 11:39:15 PM
At 3/12/2010 4:16:26 PM, Kahvan wrote:

Okay here goes,

Because my belief has yielded positive results. My belief has also made me reasonably happy.

Though the latter is great and understandable I am more interested in the former, could you elaborate?

Same reason as the one above and more. It has been proven be true and logical to me. As I believe it can be to anyone who tries.

Yes I understand this.

Praise be to God!
<cries>

Finally someone who understands!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 7:14:14 AM
At 3/12/2010 4:21:28 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:

Really? God spoke to me and he basically said a bunch of minor changes on christianity oh, yeah, he also let me know that men can have multiple wives and I'm now promoted to demigod, so yeah bring on the women.

He imposed a bunch of changes. alitle latter on he said multiple wives were allowed. Joseph was not promoted to demigod. He was made a prophet. He was also not even close to perfect. Angels would occasionally have to come down and basically tell him to straighten out or he would get into major trouble.
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 7:16:32 AM
At 3/12/2010 11:19:31 PM, NotArrogantJustRight wrote:
I find it humorous that most religions (or at least religiously zealous people) insist that those who hold differing beliefs will end up in hell. This prospect does not seem to be very logical for an alleged "loving" god. From my understanding, however, this is not the same with Mormons.

I have a two part question for you. What happens to those of differing beliefs or no beliefs at all upon their death? Does the Mormon stance on this subject have anything to do with why so many other "loving" Christians dislike Mormons so much?

1)Depends on how they live their lives based what they know. Some one who has never heard of us but lets say he only knows about catolics. if he still lives a good life then he should be ok.

2)Other churches hold us in high agnst for reasons hat still aren't clear to me. But as for me it seems logical that just because ghandi wasnt christian doesn't mean that he should burn.
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 7:20:17 AM
At 3/12/2010 11:39:15 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Okay here goes,

Though the latter is great and understandable I am more interested in the former, could you elaborate?

absolutely :) I have followed its teachings ad obtained the expected results. Kind of like a scientific experiment. I have hypothesis A. When A is done B should happen. When I have done A it has yielded result B:)

Yes I understand this.

Praise be to God!
<cries>

Finally someone who understands!

If a case can not be made for god then why believe? I understand that and it is interesting to see people who don't. I try to be open minded and so if irrefutable evidence were put in-front of me then of course I would believe it. It is why I believe that 1+1=2
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:13:39 AM
At 3/13/2010 7:20:17 AM, Kahvan wrote:

Okay here goes,

absolutely :) I have followed its teachings ad obtained the expected results. Kind of like a scientific experiment. I have hypothesis A. When A is done B should happen. When I have done A it has yielded result B:)

Could you elaborate even further, even suggest a sort of experimental test of faith for me to employ?
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:35:32 AM
At 3/13/2010 11:13:39 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/13/2010 7:20:17 AM, Kahvan wrote:

Okay here goes,

Could you elaborate even further, even suggest a sort of experimental test of faith for me to employ?

For something like that I would recommend talking to Mormon missionaries and if you do so I would courage you to give them the cross examination of a lifetime. I do not feel like I can give u such an answer but I am certain a missionary could. Or you could try mormon.org where you can chat with a missionary.
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:37:50 AM
At 3/13/2010 7:14:14 AM, Kahvan wrote:

He imposed a bunch of changes. alitle latter on he said multiple wives were allowed. Joseph was not promoted to demigod. He was made a prophet.

Are you denying that Joseph Smith had many wives? And that his multiple wives were a result of his so called "communications" with Jesus.

Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:41:22 AM
At 3/13/2010 11:37:50 AM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
At 3/13/2010 7:14:14 AM, Kahvan wrote:

He imposed a bunch of changes. alitle latter on he said multiple wives were allowed. Joseph was not promoted to demigod. He was made a prophet.

Are you denying that Joseph Smith had many wives? And that his multiple wives were a result of his so called "communications" with Jesus.

I am not denying he had multiple wives but I am not so sure about the "communications" with jesus.
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:47:17 AM
At 3/13/2010 11:45:16 AM, Johnicle wrote:
Can you prove to me that a God can be omniscient, omnipotent, AND omnibenevolent all at the same time?

What proof do you need?

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:48:25 AM
Can you prove to me that a God can be omniscient, omnipotent, AND omnibenevolent all at the same time?

In b4 problem of evil.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:49:15 AM
At 3/13/2010 11:47:17 AM, collegekitchen7 wrote:

What proof do you need?

Well I don't so much need proof it's possible as I do proof that it's a reasonable assumption.

Metaphysics:
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:49:42 AM

http://dictionary.reference.com...

omniscient-he is.

omnipotent-taken literally as in he can anything... no then he is not.

benevolent-he is

now I understand that I did not answer your question to prove it to you but may i please first ask why you think he is or isn't?
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:52:15 AM
Answer to forthcoming evil problem:

Free will.

Humans have free will.

Does evil exist? No.

Does cold exist? No.

Evil is the willing absence of God as cold is the absence of heat.

Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:55:32 AM
At 3/13/2010 11:49:42 AM, Kahvan wrote:

omniscient-he is.

benevolent-he is

now I understand that I did not answer your question to prove it to you but may i please first ask why you think he is or isn't?

Hurricanes happen. If God was all powerful, all knowing, and all good, would he not stop them?
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 11:59:18 AM
At 3/13/2010 11:55:32 AM, Johnicle wrote:
At 3/13/2010 11:49:42 AM, Kahvan wrote:

omniscient-he is.

benevolent-he is

Hurricanes happen. If God was all powerful, all knowing, and all good, would he not stop them?

f the world was always under threat of hurricanes 24/7 and no one had ever known anything esle then they would be perfectly content living under threat of hurrican 24/7. If it was always the perfect day then that would become the norm. at would become the average day.

so from this I have two points. we need the good and the bad. Also having bad natural events is a natural price to pay. It is nature. And God does sometimes cause them to cause punishment or stop them. But either way it is part of life. just like physical pain is part of life.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 12:00:43 PM
At 3/13/2010 11:55:32 AM, Johnicle wrote:

lol I so called it.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!