Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

I have an interesting question for Atheists..

Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 5:08:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello, everyone! August Rasa here with what I hope to be a thought-prompting question. I'm going to ask my question and then (Try with all my strength to) leave it alone while I hear explanations...

My question is this: If secular science states that all life came from a single cell, then why is it implausible to believe that all of mankind came from two people?

I am eager to hear your responses. I would only ask that no one participate in the name-calling and personal attacks that seem to permeate throughout the forums. To those who are victim of it nonetheless, I would ask that you ignore it instead of retaliating in kind.

P.S. those who post for the first time here, hit reply to my comment so that I may see the notification that you have answered me.
August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 6:55:51 PM
At 8/19/2014 5:08:25 PM, Arasa wrote:

My question is this: If secular science states that all life came from a single cell, then why is it implausible to believe that all of mankind came from two people?

In fact science does posit that all homo sapiens are descended from a single female in Africa between 250,000 and 500,000 years ago. The problem for you is that science doesn't stop there. An explanation is needed for that first human. Religion's answer is supernatural, which is of no use whatsoever to science. Going back further, science observes pre-human species such as homo erectus. When the trail is followed back further still we arrive at simpler and simpler organisms until finally we reach a single cell.

The evidence is clear. The implausibility comes in when you want to magically conjure up two people out of thin air. That is unscientific.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 7:07:30 PM
At 8/19/2014 6:55:51 PM, dee-em wrote:
The implausibility comes in when you want to magically conjure up two people out of thin air. That is unscientific.

Why is that any less scientific than abiogenesis?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 7:24:41 PM
Hello, everyone! August Rasa here with what I hope to be a thought-prompting question. I'm going to ask my question and then (Try with all my strength to) leave it alone while I hear explanations...

I am eager to hear your responses. I would only ask that no one participate in the name-calling and personal attacks that seem to permeate throughout the forums. To those who are victim of it nonetheless, I would ask that you ignore it instead of retaliating in kind.

P.S. those who post for the first time here, hit reply to my comment so that I may see the notification that you have answered me.

It is possible (I suppose) for mankind to come from 2 people. However, it is impossible for 2 people to come from nothing.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 7:29:56 PM
At 8/19/2014 7:07:30 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
The implausibility comes in when you want to magically conjure up two people out of thin air. That is unscientific.

I'm gobsmacked that you could ask such a question.

What is unscientific about abiogenesis? Are you under the impression that scientists propose that the first cell appeared magically out of thin air?
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 7:35:57 PM
At 8/19/2014 7:29:56 PM, dee-em wrote:

I'm gobsmacked that you could ask such a question.

I'm sorry I don't have as much education in science as you.

What is unscientific about abiogenesis?

It's an unverifiable assertion. Science proceeds by verifying things.

Are you under the impression that scientists propose that the first cell appeared magically out of thin air?

Strawman of what I was saying. I said why is Adam and Eve being poofed into existence less scientific than the first cell being poofed into existence out of thin air. I said nothing about magic.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 7:42:06 PM

It's actually not implausible. I don't think atheists claim that it is. What it is, is highly improbable

Which is a different word.

What matters isn't what makes sense to us or not, but what evidence shows.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 7:54:55 PM
At 8/19/2014 7:35:57 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

No, they are not mere assertions. Scientists don't assert. There are multiple mechanisms hypothesized and some elements have been verified (such as the production of organic compounds, including amino acids, from inorganic base materials).

Strawman of what I was saying. I said why is Adam and Eve being poofed into existence less scientific than the first cell being poofed into existence out of thin air. I said nothing about magic.

You mean poof'ing something into existence is not magical? What is it then?

Also, please show us the abiogenic hypothesis which states that the first cell was poof'ed into existence out of thin air. I must have missed that one in the journals.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 7:59:27 PM

Good luck with that. I asked how in the world the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 could have been prophesied with such uncanny accuracy as far back as several hundred years prior to the event, and the best I could tell, they told me that the Book of Zechariah was written after AD 70. LMAO
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 8:02:19 PM
At 8/19/2014 7:42:06 PM, Drayson wrote:

It's actually not implausible. I don't think atheists claim that it is. What it is, is highly improbable

And what does this "evidence" show Drayson?
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 8:05:21 PM
At 8/19/2014 7:54:55 PM, dee-em wrote:

No, they are not mere assertions. Scientists don't assert. There are multiple mechanisms hypothesized and some elements have been verified (such as the production of organic compounds, including amino acids, from inorganic base materials).

Right, so only some parts of abiogenesis have been proven. Why do atheists like yourself accept that over two people being created by a God then? Why is that less likely to be true?

Lets not get pedantic, that was just an expression.

Also, please show us the abiogenic hypothesis which states that the first cell was poof'ed into existence out of thin air. I must have missed that one in the journals.

Again, it's just an expression, showing how little of abiogenesis makes sense, but how it is believed in by atheist bigots like yourself regardless.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 8:13:53 PM
At 8/19/2014 8:05:21 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Right, so only some parts of abiogenesis have been proven. Why do atheists like yourself accept that over two people being created by a God then? Why is that less likely to be true?

Um, I've already said why. Because it's unscientific. Science doesn't concern itself with magic and rational people use science to understand the world.

Again, it's just an expression, showing how little of abiogenesis makes sense, but how it is believed in by atheist bigots like yourself regardless.

Here comes the name calling despite the admonitions in the OP.
(I don't need to respond to an argument from ignorance).
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:09:51 PM
At 8/19/2014 7:59:27 PM, annanicole wrote:

Good luck with that. I asked how in the world the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 could have been prophesied with such uncanny accuracy as far back as several hundred years prior to the event, and the best I could tell, they told me that the Book of Zechariah was written after AD 70. LMAO

Why do you continually lie Annie.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:18:49 PM

Because abiogenesis results in relatively simple structures, just able to carry out the chemical reactions necessary to qualify as life. Research has shown simple blobs of chemicals (no more than 5 chemicals), which exhibit many of the necessary chemical reactions of life, with no particular special preparation.

If you have the attention span of the average theist, you can jump to 6:09 and start watching these protocells in action.
https://www.youtube.com...
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:19:14 PM
At 8/19/2014 8:02:19 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 8/19/2014 7:42:06 PM, Drayson wrote:

And what does this "evidence" show Drayson?

For starters, it shows the planet, it's life, and our biological ancestry stretches back way further than 6000 years or whatever it was supposed to be - that human life evolved from earlier life-forms
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:28:49 PM

Where did the two people come from if I may ask?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:29:24 PM

Feel free to point me to the building standing today, which I couldn't accurately predict will not be standing at some point in the future. And you don't get answered when you follow people from thread to thread, repeatedly asking the same question. You become a form of entertainment.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:31:59 PM
At 8/19/2014 10:09:51 PM, bulproof wrote:

Why do you continually lie Annie.

It appears to be a natural outgrown of stubborn belief in an obvious fallacy. Point me to a Christian who isn't prone to lying, especially in defense of their religious beliefs.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:38:15 PM
At 8/19/2014 8:05:21 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 8/19/2014 7:54:55 PM, dee-em wrote:

Lets not get pedantic, that was just an expression.

Seriously; set aside a few minutes, clear your sand-infested ancient fables from your mind, and watch reality in action. If you absolutely can't afford 15-minutes, then jump to 6:09. Many of these protocells are just combinations of 4 or 5 chemicals. Please try to learn.

PRELIMINARY STAGES OF ABIOGENESIS
https://www.youtube.com...
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:48:28 PM

It isn't implausible. In fact, there is a scientific theory called the Mitochondrial Eve theory that suggests just that.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 10:59:55 PM
At 8/19/2014 10:48:28 PM, Defro wrote:

It isn't implausible. In fact, there is a scientific theory called the Mitochondrial Eve theory that suggests just that.

The question should be reversed. If you don't think it's possible for some basic chemicals and compounds to come together to form a primitive proto-cell, and then to continue to evolve into the most simplistic basic life, how can you possibly suggest that a large complex multi-cellular organism - involving cells multiple orders of magnitude more complex and developed such as those in a fully-formed adult human - is more likely?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 5:00:30 AM
At 8/19/2014 10:29:24 PM, Beastt wrote:

Feel free to point me to the building standing today, which I couldn't accurately predict will not be standing at some point in the future.

Irrelevant. Zechariah didn't mention some building not standing.

And you don't get answered when you follow people from thread to thread, repeatedly asking the same question. You become a form of entertainment.

The entertainment is: nobody followed you to this thread, and I didn't even respond to you.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 12:43:17 PM
At 8/19/2014 10:48:28 PM, Defro wrote:

Well said. Thank you for your input
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 12:44:41 PM
At 8/19/2014 10:28:49 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

There is another forum topic entitled "another interesting question for Atheists" in which I ask sort of the same question.

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 1:05:26 PM
At 8/20/2014 12:44:41 PM, Arasa wrote:

There is another forum topic entitled "another interesting question for Atheists" in which I ask sort of the same question.

Why not answer my question right here and now?
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 12:17:08 PM
At 8/20/2014 1:05:26 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

It is my belief that man was created out of the ground.
Genesis 2:7, "then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature."

I am expecting a response in which you deem me mentally unsound. Please confound my expectations.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 12:54:14 AM
At 8/21/2014 12:17:08 PM, Arasa wrote:

Genesis 2:7, "then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature."

I am expecting a response in which you deem me mentally unsound. Please confound my expectations.

I prefer this passage from an old book

The Ape - kamasutra sex position

No idea why it's called the ape sex position! You need to be more of a gymnast for this one.

The man lies on his back and pulls his knees up to his chest. She sits down backwards and slides his penis inside while propping herself up on his feet.

The more she shifts her weight on the legs, the easier it becomes for her partner... although, let's face it, it's never going to be easy!

Through the deep penetration, 'the ape' provides for especially sensual moments. However the woman must have adequate muscle power and balance for this position. She should reach down and grab her partners wrists to make movement simpler.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 4:06:10 AM

Firstly, I don't post on this forum much, but after reading Mr. Dawkin's (Richard) "The God Delusion" I decided to snoop into this. Well, anyways, many Christians are literal about Genesis, in which the creation of man was described. Genesis says that the "man" was created in a single day ("yom" in Hebrew), and since this Genesis statement was written via prose, it would be easy to see that the authors of Genesis writes the verses in it to be taken metaphorically!

WITH THIS SAID, the implausibility of the Adam and Eve story is huge! It is clear through the tracking of the human genome that humanity cannot come out of one single couple, but of other primates. This is due to the fact that Chimps and Humans share a 96% similarity between DNAs. Then it might also be stated that Adam was the x-chromosome and Eve was the y-chromosome, but as stated above, Genesis presents no reconciliation with science at all.

#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 8:06:26 AM
At 8/22/2014 12:54:14 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/21/2014 12:17:08 PM, Arasa wrote:

I prefer this passage from an old book

The Ape - kamasutra sex position

No idea why it's called the ape sex position! You need to be more of a gymnast for this one.

The man lies on his back and pulls his knees up to his chest. She sits down backwards and slides his penis inside while propping herself up on his feet.

The more she shifts her weight on the legs, the easier it becomes for her partner... although, let's face it, it's never going to be easy!

Through the deep penetration, 'the ape' provides for especially sensual moments. However the woman must have adequate muscle power and balance for this position. She should reach down and grab her partners wrists to make movement simpler.

Unless there was a point to that response, I shall simply assume that you have conceded my point.