Atheists: why do you choose not to believe

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:55:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:29:47 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

Seriously, I don't "choose" not to believe. I can no more believe in a God who is inconsistent with reality, than I could believe in fairies who are inconsistent with reality. If you look around yourself, you don't see a perfect world, governed by intelligent processes working to make this a wonderful, nurturing life. It's a great little story. But once the credits role and you've pried your feet from the sticky theater floor, it's time to go back outside into reality. It's going to be waiting for you no longer how long you blind yourself to it.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 7:28:44 AM

Because that's not where the evidence has led me.

Serious answers only.
boss1592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 8:57:42 PM

Serious answers only.

1. There is no empirical evidence to support the proposition that a God exists.
2. The concept of God, or at least of a theistic God is both internally incoherent and incompatible with much of what we know about the natural world
3. The concept offers zero explanatory power, as any question that is answered by the existence of a God isn't answered at all, it is merely pushed back a step (e.g. "Where did the universe come from? God made it. Where did God come from?"" a line of questioning that only ever leads to the person defending the theistic position having to retreat to defences that are contrived at best and incoherent at worst)
4. The universe looks and behaves exactly as we would expect it to if it were the consequence of nothing other than the laws of physics

Those are four pretty major hurdles that the concept of God has to clear before I might be swayed to the idea that any God exists, let alone a particular one, and even if you could dismantle all four of them, it still doesn't prove that that God has any interest in one primate species, occupying not even all of one tiny planet, tucked away in an obscure solar system in one totally unremarkable galaxy, let alone that he answers prayers, performs miracles, takes us to heaven if we believe in him and burns us forever if we don't etc.
wesr25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 12:31:37 AM

Serious answers
There are many reasons but a simple answer, there's no evidence to support the existence of god.
ohj0shua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 12:39:40 AM
At 8/22/2014 8:57:42 PM, boss1592 wrote:

Serious answers only.

2. The concept of God, or at least of a theistic God is both internally incoherent and incompatible with much of what we know about the natural world
3. The concept offers zero explanatory power, as any question that is answered by the existence of a God isn't answered at all, it is merely pushed back a step (e.g. "Where did the universe come from? God made it. Where did God come from?"" a line of questioning that only ever leads to the person defending the theistic position having to retreat to defences that are contrived at best and incoherent at worst)
4. The universe looks and behaves exactly as we would expect it to if it were the consequence of nothing other than the laws of physics

Those are four pretty major hurdles that the concept of God has to clear before I might be swayed to the idea that any God exists, let alone a particular one, and even if you could dismantle all four of them, it still doesn't prove that that God has any interest in one primate species, occupying not even all of one tiny planet, tucked away in an obscure solar system in one totally unremarkable galaxy, let alone that he answers prayers, performs miracles, takes us to heaven if we believe in him and burns us forever if we don't etc.

Pretty much sums it up. I find it interesting that people believe in the religion which their family believes in. How can people blindly believe in one of the religions just because it is the one which they have always been a part of? I know there are a few people who convert to different religions but the majority just stick with what they were brought up with.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 12:52:08 AM
At 8/23/2014 12:39:40 AM, ohj0shua wrote:

Serious answers only.

Pretty much sums it up. I find it interesting that people believe in the religion which their family believes in. How can people blindly believe in one of the religions just because it is the one which they have always been a part of? I know there are a few people who convert to different religions but the majority just stick with what they were brought up with.

Just a moment to say... "well done".
ohj0shua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 3:09:03 AM
At 8/23/2014 12:52:08 AM, Beastt wrote:

Serious answers only.

Yeah it was a good post you made. I am just new to this site and I have been doing lots of reading (now i have made a couple of posts) but I am very impressed by your posts.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 3:27:19 AM
At 8/23/2014 3:09:03 AM, ohj0shua wrote:
At 8/23/2014 12:52:08 AM, Beastt wrote:

Serious answers only.

Yeah it was a good post you made. I am just new to this site and I have been doing lots of reading (now i have made a couple of posts) but I am very impressed by your posts.

Thank you. That's always nice to hear.
debateuser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 4:11:30 AM

Serious answers only.

No scientific evidence, no claim from a God. Religion is in human hands who edit it as they see fit. I don't want to be a slave of politicians by following religion.
Scientific Errors In Religion : Atheists are right that religion is a myth

Read this topic on below link:

http://www.debate.org...
Xenophanes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 12:40:10 PM

Serious answers only.

I can't speak for the atheist community, but I have analyzed all the data with an open mind and concluded that God does not exist.
It would be nice not to have to put down people just because they're different.
Xenophanes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 12:42:13 PM
At 10/10/2014 12:40:10 PM, Xenophanes wrote:

Serious answers only.

I can't speak for the atheist community, but I have analyzed all the data with an open mind and concluded that God does not exist.

I meant to say applicable evidence.
It would be nice not to have to put down people just because they're different.