Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Why do you choose not to believe in religion

annanicole
Posts: 19,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 5:44:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:


"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof.
Both statements are true.
When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it.
It doesn't really matter when it was written if it's nonsense to begin with.
If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."
That's really been a habit of yours. You forgot where you insult the poster before leaving, of course.

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.
You realize your argument applies to everyone who isn't Christian a well right?
annanicole
Posts: 19,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 5:51:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:44:15 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:


"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof.
Both statements are true.
When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it.
It doesn't really matter when it was written if it's nonsense to begin with.

Really? Then explain for us how Jesus so accurately predicted the fall of Jersualem/destruction of the Jewish temple forty years before the event in Matt 24, Luke 13, etc.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 5:53:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:51:10 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:44:15 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:


"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof.
Both statements are true.
When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it.
It doesn't really matter when it was written if it's nonsense to begin with.

Really? Then explain for us how Jesus so accurately predicted the fall of Jersualem/destruction of the Jewish temple forty years before the event in Matt 24, Luke 13, etc.
He accurately described the siege and sack of a city, something that happened all the damn time back then, by an Empire that existed in the area long before he had been born. It is hardly miraculous.
annanicole
Posts: 19,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 6:02:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:53:43 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:51:10 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:44:15 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:


"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof.
Both statements are true.
When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it.
It doesn't really matter when it was written if it's nonsense to begin with.

Really? Then explain for us how Jesus so accurately predicted the fall of Jersualem/destruction of the Jewish temple forty years before the event in Matt 24, Luke 13, etc.
He accurately described the siege and sack of a city, something that happened all the damn time back then, by an Empire that existed in the area long before he had been born. It is hardly miraculous.

He accurately foretold that Herod's temple would be completely leveled within a generation. You are claiming that that happened with regularity every 30-40 years?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 6:03:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 6:02:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:53:43 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:51:10 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:44:15 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:


"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof.
Both statements are true.
When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it.
It doesn't really matter when it was written if it's nonsense to begin with.

Really? Then explain for us how Jesus so accurately predicted the fall of Jersualem/destruction of the Jewish temple forty years before the event in Matt 24, Luke 13, etc.
He accurately described the siege and sack of a city, something that happened all the damn time back then, by an Empire that existed in the area long before he had been born. It is hardly miraculous.

He accurately foretold that Herod's temple would be completely leveled within a generation. You are claiming that that happened with regularity every 30-40 years?

Are you familiar what happens when a city is sacked?
annanicole
Posts: 19,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 6:10:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 6:03:05 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 6:02:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:53:43 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:51:10 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:44:15 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:


"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof.
Both statements are true.
When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it.
It doesn't really matter when it was written if it's nonsense to begin with.

Really? Then explain for us how Jesus so accurately predicted the fall of Jersualem/destruction of the Jewish temple forty years before the event in Matt 24, Luke 13, etc.
He accurately described the siege and sack of a city, something that happened all the damn time back then, by an Empire that existed in the area long before he had been born. It is hardly miraculous.

He accurately foretold that Herod's temple would be completely leveled within a generation. You are claiming that that happened with regularity every 30-40 years?

Are you familiar what happens when a city is sacked?

It's either "yes" or "no":

"He accurately foretold that Herod's temple would be completely leveled within a generation. You are claiming that that happened with regularity every 30-40 years?"

Next question:

Was Jerusalem "sacked" several times, without resulting in the total destruction of the temple?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Hematite12
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:01:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

1. No one "believes in religion". They can believe in a deity, sure, but not "a religion".

2. Why do you choose to believe?
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:16:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

We don't. Belief is not a choice.

Something either convinces you or it doesn't. You don't decide what you will be convinced by. To try otherwise is to play mind games with yourself, and no it doesn't really work. If you disagree with me then perform the following experiment: Convince yourself that you can fly. Then find your way to the top of a skyscraper, step on the ledge and prepare to jump. See how far you get before you come to your senses and realize that you really don't believe the thing you swore you could convince yourself of.
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:16:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.

"If not Q, then I am unconvinced about the existence of a deity".
"If no P, then the theists have not proven their case".

What is P & Q? By "objective evidence" do you mean "material evidence" (telescopes/microscopes/satalites/thermal imaging, etc...)?

You have 100% the burden of rebuttal.
Keltron
Posts: 161
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:30:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I spent 30 years studying religion. My goal was to find the essential, central truth, and my motive was to arrive at a point of personal belief. I did discover the truth, which is that religion is about control and reinforcing the status quo for the benefit of the rich and powerful.
annanicole
Posts: 19,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:32:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 8:16:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.

"If not Q, then I am unconvinced about the existence of a deity".
"If no P, then the theists have not proven their case".

What is P & Q? By "objective evidence" do you mean "material evidence" (telescopes/microscopes/satalites/thermal imaging, etc...)?

It varies.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:36:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 8:32:31 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:16:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.

"If not Q, then I am unconvinced about the existence of a deity".
"If no P, then the theists have not proven their case".

What is P & Q? By "objective evidence" do you mean "material evidence" (telescopes/microscopes/satalites/thermal imaging, etc...)?

It varies.

So you shift the goal post?
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:38:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 8:36:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:32:31 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:16:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.

"If not Q, then I am unconvinced about the existence of a deity".
"If no P, then the theists have not proven their case".

What is P & Q? By "objective evidence" do you mean "material evidence" (telescopes/microscopes/satalites/thermal imaging, etc...)?

It varies.

So you shift the goal post?

Do you mean: Flip the chessboard?
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:41:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 6:10:50 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 6:03:05 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 6:02:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:53:43 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:51:10 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:44:15 PM, Morality wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:


"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof.
Both statements are true.
When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it.
It doesn't really matter when it was written if it's nonsense to begin with.

Really? Then explain for us how Jesus so accurately predicted the fall of Jersualem/destruction of the Jewish temple forty years before the event in Matt 24, Luke 13, etc.
He accurately described the siege and sack of a city, something that happened all the damn time back then, by an Empire that existed in the area long before he had been born. It is hardly miraculous.

He accurately foretold that Herod's temple would be completely leveled within a generation. You are claiming that that happened with regularity every 30-40 years?

Are you familiar what happens when a city is sacked?

It's either "yes" or "no":

"He accurately foretold that Herod's temple would be completely leveled within a generation. You are claiming that that happened with regularity every 30-40 years?"

Next question:

Was Jerusalem "sacked" several times, without resulting in the total destruction of the temple?

Jerusalem was sacked before, but Herod's temple wasn't built until 20-25 BC! Cities are sacked, but under the Roman Empire, they weren't sacked that frequently. The Temple was a symbol of Jewish independence, and the Roman soldiers had grown angry after repeated attacks and got vindictive. The same has happened in many sackings.
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:42:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 8:38:45 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:36:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:32:31 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:16:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.

"If not Q, then I am unconvinced about the existence of a deity".
"If no P, then the theists have not proven their case".

What is P & Q? By "objective evidence" do you mean "material evidence" (telescopes/microscopes/satalites/thermal imaging, etc...)?

It varies.

So you shift the goal post?

Do you mean: Flip the chessboard?

Literally, yes. As flipping a chessboard violates multiple rules of chess.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:45:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 8:42:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:38:45 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:36:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:32:31 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:16:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.

"If not Q, then I am unconvinced about the existence of a deity".
"If no P, then the theists have not proven their case".

What is P & Q? By "objective evidence" do you mean "material evidence" (telescopes/microscopes/satalites/thermal imaging, etc...)?

It varies.

So you shift the goal post?

Do you mean: Flip the chessboard?

Literally, yes. As flipping a chessboard violates multiple rules of chess.

What kinda drugs are you on? Chess has no rules.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:47:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 8:45:08 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:42:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:38:45 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:36:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:32:31 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:16:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.

"If not Q, then I am unconvinced about the existence of a deity".
"If no P, then the theists have not proven their case".

What is P & Q? By "objective evidence" do you mean "material evidence" (telescopes/microscopes/satalites/thermal imaging, etc...)?

It varies.

So you shift the goal post?

Do you mean: Flip the chessboard?

Literally, yes. As flipping a chessboard violates multiple rules of chess.

What kinda drugs are you on? Chess has no rules.

*sips tea* Objectively, it does.
Oh, and I am glad you asked. It is a drug called "Life". You should it enjoy it some.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 8:54:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/20/2014 8:47:58 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:45:08 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:42:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:38:45 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:36:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:32:31 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 8:16:40 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:38:18 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/20/2014 5:30:34 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Atheists, why do you choose not to believe in religion?

Serious answers only.

"Because I see no objective evidence for the existence of your god. You have 100% of the burden of proof. When I say a book in the Bible was written on so-and-so date, you have to disprove it. If you question me, I'll claim I've grown weary of the discussion, announce victory, and move on."

That'll be my guess, although not very serious.

"If not Q, then I am unconvinced about the existence of a deity".
"If no P, then the theists have not proven their case".

What is P & Q? By "objective evidence" do you mean "material evidence" (telescopes/microscopes/satalites/thermal imaging, etc...)?

It varies.

So you shift the goal post?

Do you mean: Flip the chessboard?

Literally, yes. As flipping a chessboard violates multiple rules of chess.

What kinda drugs are you on? Chess has no rules.

*sips tea* Objectively, it does.
Oh, and I am glad you asked. It is a drug called "Life". You should it enjoy it some.
That was mean...
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW