Suspended for Bless You?

neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 12:56:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com...

Apparently, saying, "Bless You," when someone sneezes is 'offensive' to some people? Best to create a stir with students over it as a teacher, and then blame the student, not the teacher, for the disruption.

How exactly do atheists think they will win this one?
KafkaF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 1:33:46 PM
At 8/22/2014 12:56:43 PM, neutral wrote:

Apparently, saying, "Bless You," when someone sneezes is 'offensive' to some people? Best to create a stir with students over it as a teacher, and then blame the student, not the teacher, for the disruption.

If this really is like the news source describes it, in other words the student got suspended for merely saying 'Bless you' and citing her right to do so, I fully support her. This was a clear infringement on her right to free speech.
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 1:45:05 PM

First of all, this is becoming more and more typical of so-called "atheists," who actually HATE God, and claim they don't believe in him.

Secondly, this superstitious nonsense about sneezes and saying "Bless you" has NOTHING to do with Jesus Christ!

So, I'm not sure who is more deceived, those who pretend to be "atheists", or those who believe Jesus blesses those who sneeze!

Where this is all likely to be heading is a world full of "atheists" who vent their rage against God by killing Christians.

Well, I'm not looking forward to being slaughtered by a bunch of angst-ridden "atheists", but if that's what it comes to, so be it.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 2:26:24 PM
At 8/22/2014 1:45:05 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

First of all, this is becoming more and more typical of so-called "atheists," who actually HATE God, and claim they don't believe in him.

Secondly, this superstitious nonsense about sneezes and saying "Bless you" has NOTHING to do with Jesus Christ!

So, I'm not sure who is more deceived, those who pretend to be "atheists", or those who believe Jesus blesses those who sneeze!

Where this is all likely to be heading is a world full of "atheists" who vent their rage against God by killing Christians.

Well, I'm not looking forward to being slaughtered by a bunch of angst-ridden "atheists", but if that's what it comes to, so be it.

No atheist is gonna slaughter you. They need you around in order to laugh at you.

"I was a born sinner. I inherited by sin from old Adam"
"I was so totally depraved that God had to perform a miracle on me"
"I believe that Christianity is so absurd that no logical person could believe it without a miracle from God above"
"Now that I'm saved, I can do and say anything I wish, and I will not be lost"

No, they aren't gonna do anything to YOU.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 2:34:11 PM

It's a ridiculous case, and that is why it's getting attention. I couldn't care less if someone tells me, "bless you", when I sneeze. In fact, I say it inadvertently sometimes. (Old habits die hard!)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 2:34:38 PM
At 8/22/2014 2:26:24 PM, annanicole wrote:

No atheist is gonna slaughter you. They need you around in order to laugh at you.

That's true.

That's also true.

"I believe that Christianity is so absurd that no logical person could believe it without a miracle from God above"

I never said that.

GOD said that the natural man cannot receive the things of the Spirit of God. (1 Cor. 2:15)

I never said that.

And they accused Paul of saying that.

And he said, "their condemnation is just.

"And why not say, "Let us do evil that good may come"?"as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just." (Romans 3:8)

So, go ahead, Anna.
Keep on slandering God's people.
Keep heaping up wrath on yourself.

If God is ever pleased to save you, then you'll repent of all this.
But if God leaves you to yourself, you'll go to Hell.

LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 2:48:51 PM

All of that is true. How is the truth laughable?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 2:51:20 PM
At 8/22/2014 2:34:38 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:

That's true.

That's also true.

I never said that.

Yes, you did. You certainly have.

_____ (Yes or No) Can an unsaved person read, study, contemplate, believe, and wholly accept the claims of the Koran without a miracle from God?

_____ (Yes or No) Can an unsaved person read, study, contemplate, believe, and wholly accept the claims of the New Testament without a miracle from God?

If the answer to #1 is "yes", but the answer to #2 is "no", then you are saying that the Koran is more believable than the Bible.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 2:57:20 PM
At 8/22/2014 2:51:20 PM, annanicole wrote:

That's true.

That's also true.

I never said that.

_____ (Yes or No) Can an unsaved person read, study, contemplate, believe, and wholly accept the claims of the Koran without a miracle from God?

_____ (Yes or No) Can an unsaved person read, study, contemplate, believe, and wholly accept the claims of the New Testament without a miracle from God?

If the answer to #1 is "yes", but the answer to #2 is "no", then you are saying that the Koran is more believable than the Bible.

Anna, get a grip.

You know very well I never said Christianity is "absurd."

Are you really trying to claim that I said that?

And the Koran is nothing but the words of foolish men, so it does not require any spiritual discernment to understand or believe it.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 3:00:48 PM

I sincerely doubt the student disrupted class in any notable way by saying bless you. It would've had to be one helluva bless you. Maybe if it were a fit of sneezing and the student kept saying bless you over and over again trying to be funny. Anyways, if the article is accurate to the situation, then the teacher is ridiculous.

Some atheists do have an unhealthy vendetta against anything even remotely religious, that I will not deny, and this teacher seems to fall into that category. But this is a subset of atheists, anti-theists. It is certainly not representative of all atheists, or atheism in general. Personally, I hope most atheists would not want to "win this one".
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 3:01:31 PM
At 8/22/2014 2:57:20 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
At 8/22/2014 2:51:20 PM, annanicole wrote:

That's true.

That's also true.

I never said that.

Anna, get a grip.

You know very well I never said Christianity is "absurd."

Are you really trying to claim that I said that?

And the Koran is nothing but the words of foolish men, so it does not require any spiritual discernment to understand or believe it.

Let me re-state the question:

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 4:45:22 PM

Stow it. You do NOT know more about what atheists believe than the atheists do themselves. Stop pretending that you do.

And if you'll notice, the atheists are not siding with the teacher.

Those most deceived would be those who accept a collection of writings by men in the 4th century as "the word of God", just because those men said so.

Atheists cannot hate God. Anyone who "hates God" is a theist. ONLY theists can hate God. And who the hell killed anyone? We're talking about a student being suspended for one partial class period! Crawl off your martyr stick, ya ninny.

Hush! Christians have killed more Christians than any other group. Nobody killed anybody in this story. READ IT! A girl shouted in class, in protest to an unfair, unconstitutional and inappropriate rule instituted by the teacher, and was suspended for the rest of that day's class.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 4:48:58 PM

What a convenient bigotry kit. It's labelled "God's people". To use, simply open it and add yourself. Shake. Now you're better than everyone else.

And if people still don't believe you, send them to an imaginary dungeon of eternal fire.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 7:06:48 PM
At 8/22/2014 4:48:58 PM, Beastt wrote:

What a convenient bigotry kit. It's labelled "God's people". To use, simply open it and add yourself. Shake. Now you're better than everyone else.

And if people still don't believe you, send them to an imaginary dungeon of eternal fire.

Oh no. Say it ain't so. Not the imaginary dungeon, anything but that.

...oh well, I tried. Does he realize it takes belief in his god for that threat to work, and atheists by definition don't believe?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 7:16:06 PM
At 8/22/2014 7:06:48 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/22/2014 4:48:58 PM, Beastt wrote:

Oh no. Say it ain't so. Not the imaginary dungeon, anything but that.

...oh well, I tried. Does he realize it takes belief in his god for that threat to work, and atheists by definition don't believe?

If I recall correctly, the threat issued from one self-proclaimed "Christian", to another self-proclaimed "Christian". No Christian is a "true Christian" to another Christian. It's a very exclusive club; just Jesus and one (unnamed) Christian follower. Everyone else is a poser.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 3:46:45 AM
At 8/22/2014 4:45:22 PM, Beastt wrote:

Stow it. You do NOT know more about what atheists believe than the atheists do themselves. Stop pretending that you do.

Yeah Beasty, I do. Unlike you, I have read many of the works of your scions, Hitchens, Dawkins, etc. I have read (mostly, I had to stop a little over half way through because it was such an assault on my profession) GA Wellsas well as many of the rebuttals. As an atheist in my early college years, I am very familiar with the philosophical claims of atheism (where it dominates college philosophy). In short, I've done my home work and can back up my claim with citations.

Seriously, do you think once you convert your knowledge just disappears? Or is precisely because I took those claims, well grounded in Academia and compared them to the evidence for Jesus, the claims of the ACTUAL theology, and found it quite compelling?

(Not that your bigotry, which only allows you to see religious people as something less than monkeys even allows your prejudiced mind to entertain such an idea, of course).

YOU? The guy that is actively telling us that we support slavery? Rape? Genocide? That forgiveness is not part of our doctrine? That we strangle rich men in glee?

Can we say abject hypocrisy here?

The simple fact of the matter is that atheists are launching and losing more lawsuits, your acerbic attacks on Christianity are drawing a larger blow back everyday (as you can see right here on this forum).

And your stupid excuse? YOU DON:T KNOW ATHEISM! I don't have to know atheism, but I do, to see what the effects of Hitcheneque attacks on religion are breeding.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 4:24:22 AM
At 8/23/2014 3:46:45 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/22/2014 4:45:22 PM, Beastt wrote:

Yeah Beasty, I do. Unlike you, I have read many of the works of your scions, Hitchens, Dawkins, etc.
Calling me a liar when you are simply making unsupportable claims out of a desire to dismiss me is nothing but dishonest and unethical. I've told you repeatedly that I have read such books, and you have demonstrated repeatedly that you lack the knowledge of what those books contain. So once again, here is a (partial) list of my reading library, including only those from Amazon, and taken directly from the pages of my Amazon account.
https://www.youtube.com...

I have read (mostly, I had to stop a little over half way through because it was such an assault on my profession) GA Wellsas well as many of the rebuttals. As an atheist in my early college years, I am very familiar with the philosophical claims of atheism (where it dominates college philosophy). In short, I've done my home work and can back up my claim with citations.
It's one thing to claim that you understand atheist "philosophy" (which doesn't really exist). And quite another for you to continually demonstrate that you have less than a clue about what we think or why. What you show us, speaks far more strongly than what you tell us. The evidence speaks more strongly than your blind assertions contrary to the evidence.

You continue to demonstrate that you do not understand atheism... in the least. You've constructed a string of lies, and whenever anyone challenges you, you first claim they have no knowledge base from which to speak, and when they protest and demonstrate that they do, you simply counter by proclaiming them to have lied. You do that because unlike people like myself - you are obviously very comfortable with lying.

Seriously, do you think once you convert your knowledge just disappears?
Do you think once you deconvert your knowledge just disappears? Did Ehrman forget everything he knew when he was so certain Christianity was true, that he devoted his life to "serving God"? Did Robert Price simply forget everything he learned while earning two theology Ph Ds? Did Dan Barker forget that God had provided him with evidence of his existence? The list goes on, and on, Neutral. I just wish you could bring yourself to a point of accepting a desire to know the truth, rather than attempting to force your square peg beliefs, into the round hole of reality.

Or is precisely because I took those claims, well grounded in Academia and compared them to the evidence for Jesus, the claims of the ACTUAL theology, and found it quite compelling?
Nothing you've ever presented for the existence of Jesus has been even moderately compelling. You consistently reference even less evidence than actually exists, and what exists - ALL OF IT - is seriously short of any objective conclusion that Jesus actually existed. And while you speak about reading G.A. Wells, the most compelling of the standard three I listed, was that of Bart Ehrman. And that's because he is attempting to sell the assertion that Jesus actually did exist, yet fails at producing the evidence to support the claim. It's a simple matter for anyone taking the mythicist stance to produce a very limited quantity of evidence. Since they're not suggesting that he actually existed, they could simply not present evidence which might exist.

But it's quite another situation when we find that a well-known, highly-educated and intellectually gifted individual, isn't able to produce any more evidence for Jesus, than did those who believe Jesus is a myth.

(Not that your bigotry, which only allows you to see religious people as something less than monkeys even allows your prejudiced mind to entertain such an idea, of course).
Not all religions people, Neutral. But you cast a very dim light on religious people in general. You obviously have no affection for truth, nor do you care about honesty. You make all religious people look worse than they are. You come off like a high-school drop-out who decided he could make it big by selling drugs, being street-wise, and simply mouthing off to anyone who showed any concern for him. This probably isn't who you are, but it's who you suggest yourself to be.

YOU? The guy that is actively telling us that we support slavery? Rape? Genocide? That forgiveness is not part of our doctrine? That we strangle rich men in glee?
I've never made any statement whatsoever in regard to strangling rich men. However, you DO support and promote a book which openly states that slavery, rape, infanticide, honor-killing, genocide and various other barbarities, are part of an objective, supreme moral standard. And if you don't like that, then YOU should stop doing it!

Can we say abject hypocrisy here?
I don't support ANY of those things. Must I define "hypocrisy" for you?

The simple fact of the matter is that atheists are launching and losing more lawsuits, your acerbic attacks on Christianity are drawing a larger blow back everyday (as you can see right here on this forum).
And yet, we continue to make the stronger case, and continue to grow, while Christianity is shrinking.

And your stupid excuse? YOU DON:T KNOW ATHEISM! I don't have to know atheism, but I do, to see what the effects of Hitcheneque attacks on religion are breeding.
I am an atheist. So i know what I believe. And I know what I believe, better than you know what I believe. And if you can't figure that out and admit that I'm correct, then you're only showing a ridiculous sub-plebeian mentality, well below that of many of your peers. Perhaps you should consider the fact that people such as yourself - who so openly display such a complete disregard for rationality, for truth, and for honesty, are having an incredibly negative impact upon your entire belief system.

Do you not even notice that you rarely receive confirming contributions, even from other theists? About the only one I've seen join with you to try to make any point is Fatihah. And that is a fact which should bring you considerable pause, and and dramatic concern.

If you looked in the mirror, Neutral, you would not care for the face looking back.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:02:07 AM
At 8/23/2014 4:24:22 AM, Beastt wrote:

Yeah Beasty, I do. Unlike you, I have read many of the works of your scions, Hitchens, Dawkins, etc.
Calling me a liar when you are simply making unsupportable claims out of a desire to dismiss me is nothing but dishonest and unethical. I've told you repeatedly that I have read such books, and you have demonstrated repeatedly that you lack the knowledge of what those books contain. So once again, here is a (partial) list of my reading library, including only those from Amazon, and taken directly from the pages of my Amazon account.
https://www.youtube.com...

That's great a list of books - a list of books that you have 'forgotten about' and cannot actually explain how they inform your position? Downloading and ACTUALLY READING books is two entirely different things.

Obviously, if you have taken the time to do this, I am not the first to question your silly claims. Lee Stroebel. Go ahead an explain why he covered if there is no evidence, and having read the book, I'd be very interested in seeing your opinion and whether is based on actual knowledge of the claims made in the book.

Unlike you, I don;t completely forget books after I read them.

It's one thing to claim that you understand atheist "philosophy" (which doesn't really exist). And quite another for you to continually demonstrate that you have less than a clue about what we think or why. What you show us, speaks far more strongly than what you tell us. The evidence speaks more strongly than your blind assertions contrary to the evidence.

Agh yeah, atheism is quite prevalent in philosophy.

http://www.iep.utm.edu...

http://plato.stanford.edu...

That someone has never heard of Neitzsche? Many others? OK, so now we have proven that I know more about atheism than you do. Great job atheist.

You continue to demonstrate that you do not understand atheism... in the least. You've constructed a string of lies, and whenever anyone challenges you, you first claim they have no knowledge base from which to speak, and when they protest and demonstrate that they do, you simply counter by proclaiming them to have lied. You do that because unlike people like myself - you are obviously very comfortable with lying.

No Beasty that is you. You cite not a single example of this, its pure self victimization which is called an fallacious appeal to emotion , as in, "I am not wrong because you are a bad person!" That has nothing to do with facts.

Conversely.

Slavery. You stupidly claim we support it, ignoring context (think Spartacus) in which condemning slavery openly would result in mass slaughter, pillaging, rape, and mass destruction (which is odd given your other claims). Christians do NOT support slavery.

Conversely, we preach the EQUALITY of all men before God, where the genesis of the abolitionist movement begins in CHRISTIAN communities who use this theology to question, and eventually overturn slavery. This interpretation of scripture is so strong that no Christian for a hundred years has challenged it. Athtards however, pretend it does not exist and never did.

#2 - We support rape - based on a duple of OT passages, usually misquoted, and completely ignoring everything Jesus says that OBVIOUSLY strongly condemns this. Christians apparently apply WAR to every day life ...? AND ignore Christ to boot.

I'll stop there for space ... But I do find it odd that you condemn us for supporting rape with one hand, and advocate policy statement that would encourage just such a result from Roman Legions on the other.

Its about spiting on others, not facts with you atheist,

Seriously, do you think once you convert your knowledge just disappears?
Do you think once you deconvert your knowledge just disappears? Did Ehrman forget everything he knew when he was so certain Christianity was true, that he devoted his life to "serving God"?

Apparently it does, as you continue to get the basics of Christian theology wrong. Like no forgiveness? Screwing up the atonement? Nit understanding blood sacrifices in Juddaism? ETc. etc. etc.

How did that knowledge leave your brain housing group?

Nothing you've ever presented for the existence of Jesus has been even moderately compelling.

I will continue to rely on the consensus, and damn near unanimous opinion, of Ph.D level experts that follow the stringent guidelines of my profession rather than the bigoted claims of a cherry picking non-expert who time and again has demonstrated his deliberate ignorance and utter zealotry any day.

Its not about you douche, its about a compelling argument. Historians made it.

But it's quite another situation when we find that a well-known, highly-educated and intellectually gifted individual, isn't able to produce any more evidence for Jesus, than did those who believe Jesus is a myth.

Its been done. You ignore it. What do the scholars say about people like you?

"Of course the doubt as to whether Jesus really existed is unfounded and not worth refutation."

"Contemporary New Testament scholars have typically viewed their arguments as so weak or bizarre that they relegate them to footnotes, or often ignore them completely.... The theory of Jesus' nonexistence is now effectively dead as a scholarly question."

http://www.bede.org.uk...

You prove them right, every time you allow your zealotry to deny the obvious.

Not all religions people, Neutral. But you cast a very dim light on religious people in general.

Yeah, bigotry.

I've never made any statement whatsoever in regard to strangling rich men.

"He's a rich man and when he's dead, we'll all get to share in his riches. So REJOICE! This is "good news".

http://www.debate.org...

Aren't we ALL rich men? So we should hang everyone? Again, bigot.

I don't support ANY of those things. Must I define "hypocrisy" for you?

Do I actually need to prove your constant attacks with slavery, rape and genocide? Seriously?

And yet, we continue to make the stronger case, and continue to grow, while Christianity is shrinking.

Globally that is not the case, is it? And as atheism comes out of the shadows, and we see more BS like this? Yeah.

I am an atheist. So i know what I believe.

Who cares? You are not King of the atheists are you? You are not the doctrine and claims of atheism are you? And you sure a hell CAN be held accountable for the routine views that YOU express in this forum.

YOU are an atheist, NOT ATHEISM. Thank God for that.

Do you not even notice that you rarely receive confirming contributions, even from other theists? About the only one I've seen join with you to try to make any point is Fatihah. And that is a fact which should bring you considerable pause, and and dramatic concern.

Bully boy. Di you notice that you are fighting all these same theists? All of them?

If you looked in the mirror.

Thanks, but most people don;t take advice from known bigots.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:04:05 AM
Try discussing the topic.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:09:41 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:04:05 AM, Beastt wrote:

You mean the OP, as opposed to how much I do and don't know about atheism?

Do you even understand the concept of a standard?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:24:40 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:09:41 AM, neutral wrote:

Do you understand the concept of disbelief in gods? Because that's every standard that atheism has to offer.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:30:31 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:24:40 AM, Beastt wrote:

Do you understand the concept of disbelief in gods? Because that's every standard that atheism has to offer.

Is that related to the OP atheist?

Do you understand the concept of a standard? And your sudden withdrawal of all claims, is noted - in typical circle jerk logic of atheism. We'll crap all over you, and when confronted ... nothing was said save that atheism is the disbelief in no Gods - pay no attention to the threads I started, or the fact that not believing in Gods doesn't necessarily mean that one HAS to be an acerbic bigot about religion.

But that is relevant to someone being suspended for saying, "Bless You."

And this particular atheist cannot concede the basic point, as others have, that this is over reach and unsupportable. Its just a zero sum game for THIS atheist.

Again, you are an atheist, NOT ATHEISM. Thank God for that.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:32:53 AM
I'm going to go ahead and paste what I posted on another discussion board in regard to this same story. If anyone has any questions concerning the disparity between the tone of my posting here and what I posted there; look no further than Neutral. He set the stage.

- - - - -
(A reference was made to a "good Christian", and some false claims were made about what the girl did, and didn't do.) My response...

A "good Christian" might look into the story or perhaps... even give a crap about hearing both sides. Let me first state that the rule in the classroom is ridiculous. If the teacher wants to institute a rule against outbursts, it should be against all outbursts.

But understand, the student DID NOT simply "say Bless you". The student shouted it across the class as a protest against the teacher. The teacher set the stage by instituting a policy which is specific to certain phrases, and then making a statement against "godly speaking". That violates the constitutional rights of the students. HOWEVER, it should be understood that a teacher has every right to institute policies against speaking out of turn in a classroom. So she absolutely has the authority to tell students not to speak out of turn, but does not have the right to isolate religious references, any more than she has the right to tell atheists students that they can't say "religion is stupid" in the classroom.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:40:21 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:32:53 AM, Beastt wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and paste what I posted on another discussion board in regard to this same story. If anyone has any questions concerning the disparity between the tone of my posting here and what I posted there; look no further than Neutral. He set the stage.

- - - - -
(A reference was made to a "good Christian", and some false claims were made about what the girl did, and didn't do.) My response...

A "good Christian" might look into the story or perhaps... even give a crap about hearing both sides. Let me first state that the rule in the classroom is ridiculous. If the teacher wants to institute a rule against outbursts, it should be against all outbursts.

But understand, the student DID NOT simply "say Bless you". The student shouted it across the class as a protest against the teacher. The teacher set the stage by instituting a policy which is specific to certain phrases, and then making a statement against "godly speaking". That violates the constitutional rights of the students. HOWEVER, it should be understood that a teacher has every right to institute policies against speaking out of turn in a classroom. So she absolutely has the authority to tell students not to speak out of turn, but does not have the right to isolate religious references, any more than she has the right to tell atheists students that they can't say "religion is stupid" in the classroom.

That has nothing to do wit the rest of the off topic rant or your refusal to acknowledge the teachers remarks, that other students came to her aid, and that the action violates the Constitution.

PLEASE BE QUIET?

Nah teachers, at least atheists ones, have to start an altercation and potentially draw a law suit. The actions, as is typical for atheists, can only be defended by exaggerating a disruption, "Bless you was too loud," and the rest is ignored.

Again, YOU are AN atheist, not ATHEISM. Thank God for that.

Of note, its precisely the inability to concede a basic point, the adoption of a zero sum mentality, that precludes atheists from being able to back away even from losing fights. Some still need to press, and with no mechanisms of controlling the zealots in their midst, this is what the world sees - utterly intransigent atheists who cannot accept bless you without having to get a court involved.

The majority of atheists thus reap the rewards of the most extreme in their midst.

This is precisely why religions created a doctrine, so we can, in contrast, separate ourselves from extremists rather than be victimized by them.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:41:19 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:30:31 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/23/2014 5:24:40 AM, Beastt wrote:

Is that related to the OP atheist?
It's related to your post. Is your standard now that you can post anything you want, and if someone hoped to steer the discussion to the actual topic, that they must endure your "street-thug wannabe" attitude and not comment in return?

Do you understand the concept of a standard? And your sudden withdrawal of all claims, is noted - in typical circle jerk logic of atheism. We'll crap all over you, and when confronted ... nothing was said save that atheism is the disbelief in no Gods - pay no attention to the threads I started, or the fact that not believing in Gods doesn't necessarily mean that one HAS to be an acerbic bigot about religion.
I'm simply asking that you try to understand what atheism is, separately from what other beliefs might be common to many atheists, which are not themselves, atheism. Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in the Trinity. Would it therefore be fair to insist that Christianity doesn't teach the Trinity? Learn the difference between a standardized belief, and other beliefs which people might hold. That's all I'm asking.

But that is relevant to someone being suspended for saying, "Bless You."
Are you now ready to discuss that?

And this particular atheist cannot concede the basic point, as others have, that this is over reach and unsupportable. Its just a zero sum game for THIS atheist.

Again, you are an atheist, NOT ATHEISM. Thank God for that.
And again; "atheism" is simply the belief that no gods exist. One needn't be "atheism" to understand that. But when anyone proclaims that it's more than that, and at the same time proclaims to understand atheism better than atheists do, they're demonstrating the fallacy of their claim, even while making the claim.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:43:09 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:41:19 AM, Beastt wrote:

Are you?

You could apologize, based on your statement, for leading with a comment about what I do and don't know about atheism - as if that matters to the discussion? Or the rest of the personal smear you brought in too boot?

Again, you said people need to stay on topic, and we have ample evidence of that problem beginning with ... you.

Zero sum.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:43:51 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:40:21 AM, neutral wrote:

- - - - -

That has nothing to do wit the rest of the off topic rant or your refusal to acknowledge the teachers remarks, that other students came to her aid, and that the action violates the Constitution.

Okay. Now please go back and actually read what I wrote. I would ask that you pay special attention to where I wrote; "The teacher set the stage by instituting a policy which is specific to certain phrases, and then making a statement against "godly speaking". That violates the constitutional rights of the students."
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:48:14 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:43:51 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 8/23/2014 5:40:21 AM, neutral wrote:

- - - - -

Okay. Now please go back and actually read what I wrote. I would ask that you pay special attention to where I wrote; "The teacher set the stage by instituting a policy which is specific to certain phrases, and then making a statement against "godly speaking". That violates the constitutional rights of the students."

Now read the rest:

HOWEVER, it should be understood that a teacher has every right to institute policies against speaking out of turn in a classroom. So she absolutely has the authority to tell students not to speak out of turn, but does not have the right to isolate religious references, any more than she has the right to tell atheists students that they can't say "religion is stupid" in the classroom.

And again, if you bothered to read my post, you would not that there are ways to deal with a simple statement WITHOUT creating a ruckus over COMMON CIVILITY. The sneeze, loud as it was, ALSO violated the teachers policy - and any teacher nitwit stupid enough to start screaming, "What! I'll have none of that goblin sneeze speak in MY CLASSROOM!," obviously requires some lessons in simply civility.

Oddly, YOU of all people missed the finer points of civility. BUT exactly as charged, anything short of a court order enforced by the full weight of government will not prevent you from coming up with one lame excuse after another to protect the teacher rather than the student, because the student is religious ... and its a zero sum game for YOU ... not atheism or atheists.

Unfortunately, such mentalities have consequences when atheists are unable to delineate between themselves and such extremists.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 5:49:00 AM
At 8/23/2014 5:43:09 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/23/2014 5:41:19 AM, Beastt wrote:

Are you?

You could apologize, based on your statement, for leading with a comment about what I do and don't know about atheism - as if that matters to the discussion? Or the rest of the personal smear you brought in too boot?

Again, you said people need to stay on topic, and we have ample evidence of that problem beginning with ... you.

Zero sum.

I never said people need to stay on topic. I simply suggested that we might have a more productive discussion if we discussed the topic of the thread.

You still don't see it, do you? I've taken off the gloves, I've sat down upon the floor (figuratively), and I'm not swinging. I've even made statements to the effect that more people might want to try that and you've referenced them. But you're still up, dancing away in your corner, swinging at the ropes, swinging at the air, working up a tremendous sweat, pumping up your heart rate and shadow boxing without a shadow. Take a break. Have a cool drink. Maybe even discuss...