Jump to topic:

What's your view on Universalism?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 8:32:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I started watching this documentary on a movie called "Hellbound?" which was very interesting. It was a Christian, who was a universalist, going around and interviewing people about a subject you don't expect a long chat about. Hell. Was hell real, metaphorical or whatever. The man interviewed atheists and christians who believed in three views of afterlife. Eternal torment (the popular view we know today), the perishing (where hell fire doesn't mean eternal, but you literally die in a lake of fire), and universalism which believes all are saved when they die because of the sacrifice of Jesus.

It got me thinking and I'm not sure what others on this forum think, so I'll ask what your view on universalism is. And I would reccomend the movie since I enjoyed it as much. Just remember to be open minded when watching it.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 8:42:17 PM
At 8/24/2014 8:32:14 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
I started watching this documentary on a movie called "Hellbound?" which was very interesting. It was a Christian, who was a universalist, going around and interviewing people about a subject you don't expect a long chat about. Hell. Was hell real, metaphorical or whatever. The man interviewed atheists and christians who believed in three views of afterlife. Eternal torment (the popular view we know today), the perishing (where hell fire doesn't mean eternal, but you literally die in a lake of fire), and universalism which believes all are saved when they die because of the sacrifice of Jesus.

It got me thinking and I'm not sure what others on this forum think, so I'll ask what your view on universalism is. And I would reccomend the movie since I enjoyed it as much. Just remember to be open minded when watching it.

It's a very good movie. I loved it.

And my view is that universalism is true. I've brought it up a lot here in the forums and in my debates.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
sovereigngracereigns
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 10:21:39 PM
At 8/24/2014 8:42:45 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
inb4 "it's heresy"

Yes, absolutely, it's heresy.

There's not much more to say about it.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 10:23:42 PM
At 8/24/2014 10:21:39 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
inb4 "it's heresy"

Not really.

And there's not much more to say about that.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:11:33 AM
At 8/24/2014 10:21:39 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
inb4 "it's heresy"

How is it heresy? I find it heresy when people go to hell for their sins because that's saying Christ wasn't all powerful and his sacrifice was meaningless.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:44:01 AM
At 8/24/2014 8:32:14 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

My people don't listen to My voice and obey My commandments starting with My first people Adam and Eve. Here's what happens if you don't listen to My voice;

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until your perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.

But only the flesh of man will be destroyed, not the man I created within My thoughts.

Genesis 6
12: And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth.
13: And God said to Noah, "I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for the earth is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Isaiah 43
1: But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.
2: When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.
3: For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you.
14: Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "For your sake I will send to Babylon and break down all the bars, and the shouting of the Chalde'ans will be turned to lamentations.
15: I am the LORD, your Holy One, the Creator of Israel, your King."

We, as God's people, will never be destroyed. Only our flesh perishes during this first age. We will all awaken in new flesh in the New Heaven and Earth after this world is destroyed.
Kerfluffer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:03:55 AM
I assume you're talking about Christian Universalism. I'm not sure on my take on it. It seems that the Bible suggests only people with faith in Jesus will get saved, though I need to study this further.

According to the Christian belief, this much is certain: If someone goes to heaven, it is ONLY through Jesus Christ. If we're trying to make certain that this means actual belief in Him or not, things start getting a little fuzzier.

Also, whether or not non-Christians can get to Heaven is a different question to the possibility of an eternal Hell. There's the belief that everyone will end up in Heaven and then there's the belief that God's grace will be extended to many non-Christians as well, but still judge people to go to Hell (maybe even including some self-professing Christians?).

Finally, if something is a "sin", it does not mean that the perpetrator is automatically damned to go to Hell because of it.

I'm more on the Hell existing but belief not being strongly necessary (but the only certain way) school of thought, I guess.
ohj0shua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:22:52 AM
At 8/25/2014 9:03:55 AM, Kerfluffer wrote:
I assume you're talking about Christian Universalism. I'm not sure on my take on it. It seems that the Bible suggests only people with faith in Jesus will get saved, though I need to study this further.

According to the Christian belief, this much is certain: If someone goes to heaven, it is ONLY through Jesus Christ. If we're trying to make certain that this means actual belief in Him or not, things start getting a little fuzzier.

Also, whether or not non-Christians can get to Heaven is a different question to the possibility of an eternal Hell. There's the belief that everyone will end up in Heaven and then there's the belief that God's grace will be extended to many non-Christians as well, but still judge people to go to Hell (maybe even including some self-professing Christians?).

Finally, if something is a "sin", it does not mean that the perpetrator is automatically damned to go to Hell because of it.

I'm more on the Hell existing but belief not being strongly necessary (but the only certain way) school of thought, I guess.

so are you a Christian? ( I am assuming no)