Total Posts:55|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A Jealous God?

dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:37:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

Men who read the Bible literally are always deceived from our true existence in God.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:40:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:37:40 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

Men who read the Bible literally are always deceived from our true existence in God.

Kick and scream as much as you like bog it's the word of god and you are an insane bum.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:45:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:40:23 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:37:40 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

Men who read the Bible literally are always deceived from our true existence in God.

Kick and scream as much as you like bog it's the word of god and you are an insane bum.

And you're a well respected forum member I see.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:49:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:45:22 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:40:23 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:37:40 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

Men who read the Bible literally are always deceived from our true existence in God.

Kick and scream as much as you like bog it's the word of god and you are an insane bum.

And you're a well respected forum member I see.

I'm shattered"""""""""""""""tears
irreverent_god
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 10:56:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

D@mn
Good
Point
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 11:00:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

That has to be read in the context of the idol-worshipping of the Jews who followed him.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 11:04:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 11:00:32 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

That has to be read in the context of the idol-worshipping of the Jews who followed him.

OH Dear Oh dear
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:06:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

This runs back to the pagan roots of the Abrahamic god. Obviously, Abraham came from a pagan family and he had entered into a covenant with Yahweh (according to the story), to be specifically loyal to Yahweh above all other gods. This pagan foundation to Christianity is still sprinkled throughout the Bible.

Of course Christians are simply dumbfounded at this because it's not what they're taught, and they're certain that whatever they're taught (all 38,000 different versions), simply HAS to be true. And certainly no one who doesn't believe could possibly know anything they don't already know.

- - -

"God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods." - Psalm 82

"Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods?" - Exodus 15:11

"And the king will do according to his pleasure; and he will exalt himself and magnify himself over every god, and against the God of gods, he will speak outrageous things..." - Daniel 11:35

"For thou, Lord, art high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods." - Psalm 97:9

"And against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment" - Exodus 12:12

"Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods." - Exodus 18:11

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." - Exodus 20:3

"Thou shalt not revile the gods." - Exodus 22:20-28

"For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." - Exodus 34:14

"Upon their gods also the LORD executed judgments." - Numbers 33:4

"Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;(For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you)" - Deuteronomy 6:14-15

"For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords." - Deuteronomy 10:17

"They served other gods." - Joshua 24:2

"Fear the Lord ... and put away the gods which your fathers served." - Joshua 24:14

"And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth." -
1 Samuel 28:13

"The Lord ... is to be feared above all gods." - 1 Chronicles 16:25

- - -

Obviously, the story of Abraham comes from long before Christianity, yet Christians are somehow shocked and in utter disbelief that their religion grew from pagan roots.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:11:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
An interesting thread, awaiting Christian's response.

Beastt, can you describe the supposed original story of Abraham?
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:17:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 12:11:37 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
An interesting thread, awaiting Christian's response.


Beastt, can you describe the supposed original story of Abraham?

Don't you guys already claim to have it?

Remember the bible that jibreel rewrote?
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:25:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 12:17:12 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2014 12:11:37 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
An interesting thread, awaiting Christian's response.


Beastt, can you describe the supposed original story of Abraham?

Don't you guys already claim to have it?

Remember the bible that jibreel rewrote?

True, but his claim must've come from somewhere. I am just curious about it's source.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:40:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 12:25:45 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 12:17:12 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2014 12:11:37 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
An interesting thread, awaiting Christian's response.


Beastt, can you describe the supposed original story of Abraham?

Don't you guys already claim to have it?

Remember the bible that jibreel rewrote?

True, but his claim must've come from somewhere. I am just curious about it's source.

Is your source invalid?

Produce your plagiarised version and let us see.
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:47:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 12:40:47 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2014 12:25:45 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 12:17:12 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2014 12:11:37 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
An interesting thread, awaiting Christian's response.


Beastt, can you describe the supposed original story of Abraham?

Don't you guys already claim to have it?

Remember the bible that jibreel rewrote?

True, but his claim must've come from somewhere. I am just curious about it's source.

Is your source invalid?

Produce your plagiarised version and let us see.

I am not aware of a plagiarized version of the story.
12_13
Posts: 1,365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 3:13:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

Actually many gods may exist. Some for example have kept golden calf as their god and it truly exists, you can find pictures of it from:

https://www.google.fi...

So, clearly other gods may exist. God has created us and he doesn"t want to lose us for other gods like that golden statue and that is why he can be said jealous. (Same way as husband can be jealous, because he doesn"t want to lose his wife for someone else).
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 4:18:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 3:13:04 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

Actually many gods may exist. Some for example have kept golden calf as their god and it truly exists, you can find pictures of it from:

https://www.google.fi...

So, clearly other gods may exist. God has created us and he doesn"t want to lose us for other gods like that golden statue and that is why he can be said jealous. (Same way as husband can be jealous, because he doesn"t want to lose his wife for someone else).

However, God doesn't need humans to worship him, humans need to worship God. So by worshiping false gods, humans are the only ones who lose. So there is no "need", but the "want" is indiscriminate love. This is fine and all with benevolence, but this model of omnibenevolence lacks justice, or rather counteractive against justice. So this begs the question: "Does the God of Christianity care about justice?".
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:23:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 11:00:32 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

That has to be read in the context of the idol-worshipping of the Jews who followed him.

I know this is pointless but ... idols are not gods.
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 8:34:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It would seem that He cares in some way, who or what men worship as their god. But the bottom line is this is in reference to Ex 20 where the Lord God spoke the commandments directly to the Israelites. The commandments are a covenant, meaning a agreement between the Israelites and the Lord their God. And He seems to be expressing His expectations of them in the agreement, letting them know how He would react to their worshiping other gods. Hence He would take it personally. The God of Israel is the only true living God, but that doesn"t mean men don"t worship other gods. Gods are providers of what they are a god of in the view of the worshiper, but this God of the Bible is the Creator and Judge of all things therefore the true provider of all things, especially life.
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:03:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:34:49 PM, DPMartin wrote:
It would seem that He cares in some way, who or what men worship as their god. But the bottom line is this is in reference to Ex 20 where the Lord God spoke the commandments directly to the Israelites. The commandments are a covenant, meaning a agreement between the Israelites and the Lord their God. And He seems to be expressing His expectations of them in the agreement, letting them know how He would react to their worshiping other gods. Hence He would take it personally. The God of Israel is the only true living God, but that doesn"t mean men don"t worship other gods. Gods are providers of what they are a god of in the view of the worshiper, but this God of the Bible is the Creator and Judge of all things therefore the true provider of all things, especially life.

It doesn't gel. Here you have a supremely powerful and wise being. He knows he is it. And yet he admonishes his subjects to not worship non-existent other gods because it would make him jealous? You would think he would simply feel pity for their delusion. But no, he is jealous! That's not wise, that is petty and immature.

Beastt has hit the nail on the head. These are not the word of god but a human in a world which had people routinely believing in multiple gods. Monotheism had not been invented yet.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 2:44:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 4:18:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 3:13:04 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

Actually many gods may exist. Some for example have kept golden calf as their god and it truly exists, you can find pictures of it from:

https://www.google.fi...

So, clearly other gods may exist. God has created us and he doesn"t want to lose us for other gods like that golden statue and that is why he can be said jealous. (Same way as husband can be jealous, because he doesn"t want to lose his wife for someone else).

However, God doesn't need humans to worship him, humans need to worship God.
In that God is willing to torment you for eternity if you don't, and many of us (a number which grows everyday), do not worship God, your claims are most obviously counter-evidenced. I don't need to worship God, sports heros, or America's Next Super-Model. I have no need, desire or compunction to worship anything. Worship is just silly.

So by worshiping false gods, humans are the only ones who lose.
And yet, with precisely the same amount of evidence for each and every god (none), any god you choose to worship is far more likely to be a false god, than "the real God".

So there is no "need", but the "want" is indiscriminate love.
Nothing about the Christian God even hints at a consistency with indiscriminate love. Have you never even opened a Bible? God is all about hating, torturing, slaughtering, abusing,, raping, kidnapping and dicing anyone who doesn't do what he says, and only living a very tiny few who worship him, in his way, as much as he insists they should, and without the slightest hint of doubt for anything he says, anything he does, or his very existence. When you find yourself belching out things you hear in church, which are so easily demonstrated to be the opposite of what's in the Bible, that's how you know that information isn't passing through your centers of cognition before passing out the other end.

This is fine and all with benevolence, but this model of omnibenevolence lacks justice, or rather counteractive against justice. So this begs the question: "Does the God of Christianity care about justice?".
Of course not. One of the first standards of justice is that only the guilty should be punished for their guilt, while the innocent should never be punished in place of the guilty. And Christianity has clearly stood the entire concept of "justice" on it's head.

But the really telling issue here is your response to all of the references made to "other gods" in the Bible. You're not interested in seeking the source, context and reason for having so many references. Your first instinct is to try to seek a line of attack to the source of the information about Abraham and the earliest concepts of Yahweh. Let me ask you; at the time Abraham lived, were there any monotheists? What about the time of Noah?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
DPMartin
Posts: 1,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:07:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:03:10 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:34:49 PM, DPMartin wrote:
It would seem that He cares in some way, who or what men worship as their god. But the bottom line is this is in reference to Ex 20 where the Lord God spoke the commandments directly to the Israelites. The commandments are a covenant, meaning a agreement between the Israelites and the Lord their God. And He seems to be expressing His expectations of them in the agreement, letting them know how He would react to their worshiping other gods. Hence He would take it personally. The God of Israel is the only true living God, but that doesn"t mean men don"t worship other gods. Gods are providers of what they are a god of in the view of the worshiper, but this God of the Bible is the Creator and Judge of all things therefore the true provider of all things, especially life.

It doesn't gel. Here you have a supremely powerful and wise being. He knows he is it. And yet he admonishes his subjects to not worship non-existent other gods because it would make him jealous? You would think he would simply feel pity for their delusion. But no, he is jealous! That's not wise, that is petty and immature.


Why would He feel pity for those He just told, to not do something and they did it? It's not delusion, to disregard the words of a contract, is it?

It's not petty or immature if you don"t get what is yours in a contract, especially
if you are well invested in it, is it?
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:50:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:07:16 AM, DPMartin wrote:

Why would He feel pity for those He just told, to not do something and they did it? It's not delusion, to disregard the words of a contract, is it?

You mean every single Israelite then and ever after personally signed up to this contract? I think not.

It's not petty or immature if you don"t get what is yours in a contract, especially
if you are well invested in it, is it?

Yeah, it is. No contract with an exclusivity clause ever had such punitive measures for non-compliance, especially when the first party actually had no competition (if we believe current Christian dogma).
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:15:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:07:16 AM, DPMartin wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:03:10 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:34:49 PM, DPMartin wrote:
It would seem that He cares in some way, who or what men worship as their god. But the bottom line is this is in reference to Ex 20 where the Lord God spoke the commandments directly to the Israelites. The commandments are a covenant, meaning a agreement between the Israelites and the Lord their God. And He seems to be expressing His expectations of them in the agreement, letting them know how He would react to their worshiping other gods. Hence He would take it personally. The God of Israel is the only true living God, but that doesn"t mean men don"t worship other gods. Gods are providers of what they are a god of in the view of the worshiper, but this God of the Bible is the Creator and Judge of all things therefore the true provider of all things, especially life.

It doesn't gel. Here you have a supremely powerful and wise being. He knows he is it. And yet he admonishes his subjects to not worship non-existent other gods because it would make him jealous? You would think he would simply feel pity for their delusion. But no, he is jealous! That's not wise, that is petty and immature.


Why would He feel pity for those He just told, to not do something and they did it?
How was the message delivered? If I have messengers deliver conflicting messages, and no way to confirm either message to be more authentic than the other, which message should I follow? Which is the contract? God didn't exactly hand deliver the Bible, you know. In fact, the origin of the Bible makes it one of the absolute least likely to be authentic.

It's not delusion, to disregard the words of a contract, is it?
A contract is something agreed upon mutually. It's not, "I created you and you're alive now and if you want to stay that way... do what I say... OR ELSE!"

It's not petty or immature if you don"t get what is yours in a contract, especially
if you are well invested in it, is it?
If a mugger puts a gun to your head and threatens to shoot you if you don't hand over your wallet, watch, cell phone and jewelry... is that a "contract"? Because in Christianity, they call that "salvation".
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
12_13
Posts: 1,365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 2:28:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 4:18:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
but this model of omnibenevolence lacks justice, or rather counteractive against justice.

How?

At 8/25/2014 4:18:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
So this begs the question: "Does the God of Christianity care about justice?".

I think he cares.
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:15:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 2:28:45 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 8/25/2014 4:18:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
but this model of omnibenevolence lacks justice, or rather counteractive against justice.

How?

This means that God must love, lets say, a serial murderer and rapist, equally with a devoid servant of his.
Due to the treatment being equal regardless of different behaviors with moral values, it would be unjust.

At 8/25/2014 4:18:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
So this begs the question: "Does the God of Christianity care about justice?".

I think he cares.

Well, we'll need to see the evidence in order to reach a conclusion.
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:21:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

The worship that pieces of stone received.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:47:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:21:20 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

The worship that pieces of stone received.

Yeah. What a drama.
sovereigngracereigns
Posts: 585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:52:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

It means that he is intolerant of all rivalry and unfaithfulness.

"Do not worship any other God," because the Lord is intolerant of all rivalry and unfaithfulness.
Surely, that concept is not hard to understand.
dee-em
Posts: 6,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:53:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:52:26 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

It means that he is intolerant of all rivalry and unfaithfulness.

"Do not worship any other God," because the Lord is intolerant of all rivalry and unfaithfulness.
Surely, that concept is not hard to understand.

What rivalry? He supposedly has no rivals.
sovereigngracereigns
Posts: 585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 12:22:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 10:53:05 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/26/2014 9:52:26 PM, sovereigngracereigns wrote:
At 8/25/2014 8:30:55 AM, dee-em wrote:
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

If Yaweh/Jehovah is the only god, who would he be jealous of?

It means that he is intolerant of all rivalry and unfaithfulness.

"Do not worship any other God," because the Lord is intolerant of all rivalry and unfaithfulness.
Surely, that concept is not hard to understand.

What rivalry? He supposedly has no rivals.

Anything that's opposed to, or in competition with, God-- whether REAL or IMAGINARY-- is a RIVAL to God.

He is not in any way saying those gods are REAL.
And there is no reason to assume that he is.

The point is that God is intolerant of the worship of other gods, thus he says:
"Do not worship any other god."

You're just making it unnecessarily complicated.