Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The price of Religion

jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 12:59:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Religion is a plague that is costing our society. It has been brainwashing our children into believing in delusions and lies. All of their deities are complete B.U.L.L.

Here's why:

1. Religion is evil
Religion says that we should not help poor people but rather big corporations. Well religious people are also trying to replace evolution with creationism and also they want to brainwash our children because religion is brainwashing and they are discriminating against us we should print tons of money to give to the poor now everyone is going to be rich, right.

2. Religion is discrimination
If religion is not banned, then they are going to ban atheists and they will attempt to silence us from our right to silence others

3. Religion is CRIME
Religion causes crime because some criminals behind bars are religious in fact majority are theirfore religion is bad and is brainwashing
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 2:50:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

You did not get the satire?
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 2:58:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 2:50:49 PM, jh1234l wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

You did not get the satire?

I did and found it hilarious. Your previous thread is a dead giveaway.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:28:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 12:59:23 PM, jh1234l wrote:
Religion is a plague that is costing our society. It has been brainwashing our children into believing in delusions and lies. All of their deities are complete B.U.L.L.

https://www.youtube.com...

In this case, religion is a delusion and a plague.

Here's why:

1. Religion is evil
Religion says that we should not help poor people but rather big corporations. Well religious people are also trying to replace evolution with creationism and also they want to brainwash our children because religion is brainwashing and they are discriminating against us we should print tons of money to give to the poor now everyone is going to be rich, right.

2. Religion is discrimination
If religion is not banned, then they are going to ban atheists and they will attempt to silence us from our right to silence others

3. Religion is CRIME
Religion causes crime because some criminals behind bars are religious in fact majority are theirfore religion is bad and is brainwashing
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:40:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

Atheism is a religion? Please explain.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:44:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

It depends on how you define religion, really.

There's nothing about putting other people down. I know that there are some atheists who consider and want atheism to be considered as a religion. I suppose it's a matter of perspective.
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:51:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:40:26 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

Atheism is a religion? Please explain.

http://www.debate.org...
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 7:04:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:51:49 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:40:26 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

Atheism is a religion? Please explain.

http://www.debate.org...

"Evo-abiogenesis and evolution as the origin of the diversity of life are the atheists's origin story. It is, according to them, an undeniable truth and dogma."

1. It is not a story as one would find in a book.

2. Evolution is not the atheist's story. There are theists who agree with evolution. It is a Scientific theory, not an atheist's story.

" Life being a random chance, morality is either a social construction or an evolutionary mechanism. So human life by itself have no value, or is based on procreation and production."

If a germ's life has no value, a human life has no value.

"What we can't sense, doesn't exist."

This may be a misunderstanding. Atheists, and other people acknowledge the existence different types of light that we can't sense( we can't see). We can't sense certain lights, but we know they exist.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 7:22:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.

"The mind and the brain are the same and inseparable."

Well, yes. Your brain is an organ. With out it, what can your body really do? Keep a heart beat? Basic involuntary actions? Your brain makes up who you are, and if it gets damaged, your personality can change. And if your brain gets severely injured, you could end up like a vegetable. Your brain sorts through all the senses, and is capable of thought. And with out a functional brain, you are basically dead. If you aren't taking in information or capable of thought, you are not there mentally. Just like if your leg is damaged, you can't run normal/function in a normal manner.

That is my 2 cents.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 7:36:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:51:49 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:40:26 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

Atheism is a religion? Please explain.

http://www.debate.org...

"The mind and the brain are the same and inseparable."

Going off of my other reply, once you are dead, meaning your brain is no longer functioning, it could be safe to say you are not experiencing anything, basically a computer that is shut off permanently.

I draw upon my grandmothers dog that was put to sleep today as an example. He has been dead for hours. His brain is severely deprived of oxygen and is beyond functionality. He is shut off mentally, forever. Not to experience anything since, you need your brain for that and if your brain is not taking in information from your senses or can't even process thoughts, you are permanently shut off.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 12:17:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.

Really?! Are you suggesting that which can be submitted without evidence is true? Get out of here! I thought you would be showing how theists are rational! Fail.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:48:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 12:17:40 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.

Really?! Are you suggesting that which can be submitted without evidence is true? Get out of here! I thought you would be showing how theists are rational! Fail.

I am using Hitchen's own standards on his statement. If his statement that evidence is required in order to consider an assertion is true, then we should reject his assertion as it is without evidence. If his statement is false, then it cannot be true.

Negative statements are often proven through empirical and logical means. Hitchen's razor is an admittance of failure to uphold their burden of proof or rebuttal due to atheists relying on emotions rather than logic to justify their belief.
bulproof
Posts: 25,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:58:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:48:56 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/26/2014 12:17:40 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.

Really?! Are you suggesting that which can be submitted without evidence is true? Get out of here! I thought you would be showing how theists are rational! Fail.

I am using Hitchen's own standards on his statement. If his statement that evidence is required in order to consider an assertion is true, then we should reject his assertion as it is without evidence. If his statement is false, then it cannot be true.

Negative statements are often proven through empirical and logical means. Hitchen's razor is an admittance of failure to uphold their burden of proof or rebuttal due to atheists relying on emotions rather than logic to justify their belief.

Tell me what my belief is.

Again this should be fun.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:58:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:58:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:48:56 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/26/2014 12:17:40 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.

Really?! Are you suggesting that which can be submitted without evidence is true? Get out of here! I thought you would be showing how theists are rational! Fail.

I am using Hitchen's own standards on his statement. If his statement that evidence is required in order to consider an assertion is true, then we should reject his assertion as it is without evidence. If his statement is false, then it cannot be true.

Negative statements are often proven through empirical and logical means. Hitchen's razor is an admittance of failure to uphold their burden of proof or rebuttal due to atheists relying on emotions rather than logic to justify their belief.

Tell me what my belief is.

Again this should be fun.

Your belief is that there are no gods.
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:16:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 7:04:41 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:51:49 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:40:26 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

Atheism is a religion? Please explain.

http://www.debate.org...

"Evo-abiogenesis and evolution as the origin of the diversity of life are the atheists's origin story. It is, according to them, an undeniable truth and dogma."

1. It is not a story as one would find in a book.


It is an origin story, just like other religions. It can be transmitted orally or through texture, or both.

2. Evolution is not the atheist's story. There are theists who agree with evolution. It is a Scientific theory, not an atheist's story.

Theists who believe in the ToE believe that it is guided.
Atheists who believe in the ToE believe that it is completely random.

Notice the metaphysical statements of faith in the end of both positions.

" Life being a random chance, morality is either a social construction or an evolutionary mechanism. So human life by itself have no value, or is based on procreation and production."

If a germ's life has no value, a human life has no value.

Which means that you have a position on the value of life.

"What we can't sense, doesn't exist."

This may be a misunderstanding. Atheists, and other people acknowledge the existence different types of light that we can't sense( we can't see). We can't sense certain lights, but we know they exist.

Their effect is noticeable through equipments, like rutherford's experiment.

This is in synonym with materialism and naturalism. But yeah, the same principle could've once been applied to Dark matter, and Higgs boson.

Well, yes. Your brain is an organ. With out it, what can your body really do? Keep a heart beat? Basic involuntary actions? Your brain makes up who you are, and if it gets damaged, your personality can change. And if your brain gets severely injured, you could end up like a vegetable. Your brain sorts through all the senses, and is capable of thought. And with out a functional brain, you are basically dead. If you aren't taking in information or capable of thought, you are not there mentally. Just like if your leg is damaged, you can't run normal/function in a normal manner.

That is my 2 cents.

Going off of my other reply, once you are dead, meaning your brain is no longer functioning, it could be safe to say you are not experiencing anything, basically a computer that is shut off permanently.

I draw upon my grandmothers dog that was put to sleep today as an example. He has been dead for hours. His brain is severely deprived of oxygen and is beyond functionality. He is shut off mentally, forever. Not to experience anything since, you need your brain for that and if your brain is not taking in information from your senses or can't even process thoughts, you are permanently shut off.


The alternative position (dualism) does not deny that there is a relationship between the brain and consciousness, but this is all there is: a relationship. An analogy would be a car-driver relationship. if the car is damaged, the driver can't drive, and if the driver non-existent, the car doesn't get driven.

http://www.wired.com...

Here is how the computer analogy you provided fails: The CPU have no idea about the validity or meaning of it's work. It does not reflect or consider the results. For the analogy to work, there need to be no monitor or display screen. All the processes of the computer must be done internally.

Meaning that the computer must feel emotions, even feel hurt or get traumatized, and even decide to self-destruct while depressed. It can decide to quit sleep mode, or feel discomfort or joy while overheating. It must have physical and emotional needs. It can feel mistrust or be friends to other computers it is connected to.

This is called "The hard problem of consciousness". How can something physical bring the subjective experience of consciousness. We can replicate chemical processes, but that does not mean that a sense of morality was brought by these processes. Can we describe colors to someone who was born blind via. materialistic means?
bulproof
Posts: 25,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:20:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 6:58:37 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:58:05 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:48:56 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/26/2014 12:17:40 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.

Really?! Are you suggesting that which can be submitted without evidence is true? Get out of here! I thought you would be showing how theists are rational! Fail.

I am using Hitchen's own standards on his statement. If his statement that evidence is required in order to consider an assertion is true, then we should reject his assertion as it is without evidence. If his statement is false, then it cannot be true.

Negative statements are often proven through empirical and logical means. Hitchen's razor is an admittance of failure to uphold their burden of proof or rebuttal due to atheists relying on emotions rather than logic to justify their belief.

Tell me what my belief is.

Again this should be fun.

Your belief is that there are no gods.

Sort of, but well done goo.

Now fang it's your turn.

You have made many unsubstantiated claims regarding my beliefs, time to pay the piper little fellow.

Tell me all about my beliefs.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:31:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 12:59:23 PM, jh1234l wrote:
Religion is a plague that is costing our society. It has been brainwashing our children into believing in delusions and lies. All of their deities are complete B.U.L.L.

Here's why:

1. Religion is evil
Religion says that we should not help poor people but rather big corporations. Well religious people are also trying to replace evolution with creationism and also they want to brainwash our children because religion is brainwashing and they are discriminating against us we should print tons of money to give to the poor now everyone is going to be rich, right.

2. Religion is discrimination
If religion is not banned, then they are going to ban atheists and they will attempt to silence us from our right to silence others

3. Religion is CRIME
Religion causes crime because some criminals behind bars are religious in fact majority are theirfore religion is bad and is brainwashing

#trolling
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Posts: 25,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:37:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:31:11 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/25/2014 12:59:23 PM, jh1234l wrote:
Religion is a plague that is costing our society. It has been brainwashing our children into believing in delusions and lies. All of their deities are complete B.U.L.L.

Here's why:

1. Religion is evil
Religion says that we should not help poor people but rather big corporations. Well religious people are also trying to replace evolution with creationism and also they want to brainwash our children because religion is brainwashing and they are discriminating against us we should print tons of money to give to the poor now everyone is going to be rich, right.

2. Religion is discrimination
If religion is not banned, then they are going to ban atheists and they will attempt to silence us from our right to silence others

3. Religion is CRIME
Religion causes crime because some criminals behind bars are religious in fact majority are theirfore religion is bad and is brainwashing

#trolling

25 posts in. woohoo we have a winner.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 12:30:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:48:56 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/26/2014 12:17:40 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.

Really?! Are you suggesting that which can be submitted without evidence is true? Get out of here! I thought you would be showing how theists are rational! Fail.

I am using Hitchen's own standards on his statement. If his statement that evidence is required in order to consider an assertion is true, then we should reject his assertion as it is without evidence. If his statement is false, then it cannot be true.

Negative statements are often proven through empirical and logical means. Hitchen's razor is an admittance of failure to uphold their burden of proof or rebuttal due to atheists relying on emotions rather than logic to justify their belief.

Basically, if you're willing to accept anything as true which has no evidence, then you will accept fairies, alien abductions, bigfoot, gnomes, flying spaghetti monster, invisible pink unicorns, Russell's teapot, etc, etc. I'm fairly confident you don't believe in these things. Also, this is not the standard by which you measure your day to day reality. The only way in which you are willing to accept something without evidence is in the case of god.

Lastly, positive claims carry the burden of proof. Theists make a positive claim. Where is the objective evidence for your claim? To suggest atheists should prove non existence is simply an inappropriate attempt to shift your burden of proof, and demand an impossible task of atheists in the process.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dragonfang
Posts: 1,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 1:46:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 12:30:06 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:48:56 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/26/2014 12:17:40 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:52:55 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:41:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:15:28 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:12:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:10:01 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:08:33 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

He trolling for religion.

Also, I find it amusing you claim atheism is a religion. Is that your way of saying we are being completely irrational just like theists?

No, I am saying that you are being way more irrational than theists.

Ok, you admit theists are irrational. Got it. :-P

No more than atheists :) .

Lets go through an example:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Hitchens

Well, can you provide an evidence to Mr. C. Hitchen's statement? I'd hate to dismiss it without evidence.

http://www.goodreads.com....

I don't have time to find a video for you right now...

SMH.

Not evidence that he said this statement. Evidence that his statement is true.

Really?! Are you suggesting that which can be submitted without evidence is true? Get out of here! I thought you would be showing how theists are rational! Fail.

I am using Hitchen's own standards on his statement. If his statement that evidence is required in order to consider an assertion is true, then we should reject his assertion as it is without evidence. If his statement is false, then it cannot be true.

Negative statements are often proven through empirical and logical means. Hitchen's razor is an admittance of failure to uphold their burden of proof or rebuttal due to atheists relying on emotions rather than logic to justify their belief.

Basically, if you're willing to accept anything as true which has no evidence, then you will accept fairies, alien abductions, bigfoot, gnomes, flying spaghetti monster, invisible pink unicorns, Russell's teapot, etc, etc. I'm fairly confident you don't believe in these things. Also, this is not the standard by which you measure your day to day reality. The only way in which you are willing to accept something without evidence is in the case of god.

Lastly, positive claims carry the burden of proof. Theists make a positive claim. Where is the objective evidence for your claim? To suggest atheists should prove non existence is simply an inappropriate attempt to shift your burden of proof, and demand an impossible task of atheists in the process.

Contrary to your denial of evidence, there are evidence and arguments. So you are either ignoring them, or ignorant of them. Both positions are false when combined with your categorical denial.

Furthermore, you poison the well with false analogies. A popular dodge by atheists who are unused or don't want to embark on more sophisticated arguments.

It is a category error to demand material evidence for a non-material entity. It also implies a scientistic fallacy, which is claiming that if it cannot be demonstrated physically, it cannot exist.

Please read this essay so you can learn how to prove a negative:

http://departments.bloomu.edu...

Are you claiming that you have no burden of proof for your claim of materialism?
I am not shifting the burden of proof, I am asking you to not reject your burden of rebuttal with statements of logic or evidence.
What you are doing is called special pleading:

1) The theist is obligated to demonstrate his belief materially.
2) The atheist is under no obligation to demonstrate his belief materially.

This, of course, is combined with category error.
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 2:55:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 12:59:23 PM, jh1234l wrote:
Religion is a plague that is costing our society. It has been brainwashing our children into believing in delusions and lies. All of their deities are complete B.U.L.L.

Here's why:

1. Religion is evil
Religion says that we should not help poor people but rather big corporations. Well religious people are also trying to replace evolution with creationism and also they want to brainwash our children because religion is brainwashing and they are discriminating against us we should print tons of money to give to the poor now everyone is going to be rich, right.

2. Religion is discrimination
If religion is not banned, then they are going to ban atheists and they will attempt to silence us from our right to silence others

3. Religion is CRIME
Religion causes crime because some criminals behind bars are religious in fact majority are theirfore religion is bad and is brainwashing

Nice to know that not all atheists are constantly demanding the sterilization of religious people.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:00:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:16:53 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 7:04:41 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:51:49 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
At 8/25/2014 6:40:26 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/25/2014 2:33:57 PM, Dragonfang wrote:
All religions except atheism are bad, pretty interesting stuff.

Atheism is a religion? Please explain.

http://www.debate.org...

"Evo-abiogenesis and evolution as the origin of the diversity of life are the atheists's origin story. It is, according to them, an undeniable truth and dogma."

1. It is not a story as one would find in a book.


It is an origin story, just like other religions. It can be transmitted orally or through texture, or both.

2. Evolution is not the atheist's story. There are theists who agree with evolution. It is a Scientific theory, not an atheist's story.

Theists who believe in the ToE believe that it is guided.
Atheists who believe in the ToE believe that it is completely random.

Notice the metaphysical statements of faith in the end of both positions.

" Life being a random chance, morality is either a social construction or an evolutionary mechanism. So human life by itself have no value, or is based on procreation and production."

If a germ's life has no value, a human life has no value.

Which means that you have a position on the value of life.

"What we can't sense, doesn't exist."

This may be a misunderstanding. Atheists, and other people acknowledge the existence different types of light that we can't sense( we can't see). We can't sense certain lights, but we know they exist.

Their effect is noticeable through equipments, like rutherford's experiment.

This is in synonym with materialism and naturalism. But yeah, the same principle could've once been applied to Dark matter, and Higgs boson.

Well, yes. Your brain is an organ. With out it, what can your body really do? Keep a heart beat? Basic involuntary actions? Your brain makes up who you are, and if it gets damaged, your personality can change. And if your brain gets severely injured, you could end up like a vegetable. Your brain sorts through all the senses, and is capable of thought. And with out a functional brain, you are basically dead. If you aren't taking in information or capable of thought, you are not there mentally. Just like if your leg is damaged, you can't run normal/function in a normal manner.

That is my 2 cents.

Going off of my other reply, once you are dead, meaning your brain is no longer functioning, it could be safe to say you are not experiencing anything, basically a computer that is shut off permanently.

I draw upon my grandmothers dog that was put to sleep today as an example. He has been dead for hours. His brain is severely deprived of oxygen and is beyond functionality. He is shut off mentally, forever. Not to experience anything since, you need your brain for that and if your brain is not taking in information from your senses or can't even process thoughts, you are permanently shut off.


The alternative position (dualism) does not deny that there is a relationship between the brain and consciousness, but this is all there is: a relationship. An analogy would be a car-driver relationship. if the car is damaged, the driver can't drive, and if the driver non-existent, the car doesn't get driven.

Yeah, that is a better analogy.


http://www.wired.com...

A link from your article states "Those with memories were compared to those without memories. Results: 11.1% of 63 survivors reported memories."

What happened to the majority of people who did not report memories?

Also:

http://www.bbc.com...


Here is how the computer analogy you provided fails: The CPU have no idea about the validity or meaning of it's work. It does not reflect or consider the results. For the analogy to work, there need to be no monitor or display screen. All the processes of the computer must be done internally.

Meaning that the computer must feel emotions, even feel hurt or get traumatized, and even decide to self-destruct while depressed. It can decide to quit sleep mode, or feel discomfort or joy while overheating. It must have physical and emotional needs. It can feel mistrust or be friends to other computers it is connected to.

This is called "The hard problem of consciousness". How can something physical bring the subjective experience of consciousness. We can replicate chemical processes, but that does not mean that a sense of morality was brought by these processes. Can we describe colors to someone who was born blind via. materialistic means?

No you can't describe colors to a blind person. You would need eyes for that.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."