Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A question for all

blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:21:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

Because it's there.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:22:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:21:47 PM, dee-em wrote:
Because it's there.

Because what's there? Religion, or the forum?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:26:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:22:55 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:21:47 PM, dee-em wrote:
Because it's there.

Because what's there? Religion, or the forum?

Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?
Because it's there.

You weren't expecting a serious answer were you? :-)
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:31:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:26:14 PM, dee-em wrote:
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?
Because it's there.

You weren't expecting a serious answer were you? :-)

I am hoping someone can fill me in with a serious answer. Considering that I live my life to serve God the best I can, I see no reason why there should be anyone attacking any view point. The teachings of most current religions (that I've heard of) include some form of peace and/or brother hood. Yes, there are extremists that twist religion to try and use it to justify killing, but I can't think of a popular religion that really condones that. In the religions that I'm aware of, people who truly follow them should be good people that there's no reason to attack. Likewise, they shouldn't be attacking anyone. So, why do people attack religions/atheism? Why aren't they targeting bad people instead?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Fatihah
Posts: 7,747
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:41:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

Response: You said it "generally atheists attacking theists". Atheists have no connection to God, thus having no love whom theists love most. God. So when atheists troll the forum and attack, like any person who hears one they love being slandered, many theists feel the need to respond. Some theists may leave atheist trolls alone in their ignorance. Others like myself, know that if ignorance and slander about God is not addressed, then such slander may actually start to look believable. Hence, the back and forth between atheists and theists.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:43:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

If a man has 10 good qualities and one bad, people sometimes have a tendency focus on that one bad quality.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 9:56:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

It's at least partially a confirmation bias, no offense. The threads on here are at least close to evenly split, if only because of the high troll level. Sometimes there's more atheist threads, but I would bet money (if I had money) that there are, historically, more threads attacking atheism (or, perhaps, pre-emptively defending, or preaching) than the other way around--but that may also be a bias on my part. What is obvious, though, is that the religion forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

That said, do bear in mind that, while you can MAKE friends here, and that's a wonderful thing, this site is organized around the conflict of ideas. Thus, you'll get people posting "attacks" on ideas, because they are picking a debate-y fight, because this is debate.org. That's entirely different than when people are just "hanging out". The religion forum is for the discussion of ideas as much as any other forum (regardless of some people's opinion that it should be a place for them to preach without answering responses) and, given the contentious nature of religion in general, it's unsurprising that there's going to be a lot of what seem to you to be attacks.

If you walked in the room with your friends, and said "This is now a debate space. Express your opinion on religion", I'm sure that either they'd leave, because they don't want to do that, or they'd begin "attacking" your position, if they have the opposite one. This forum section is basically that.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 10:04:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:31:43 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:26:14 PM, dee-em wrote:
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest?
Because it's there.

You weren't expecting a serious answer were you? :-)

I am hoping someone can fill me in with a serious answer. Considering that I live my life to serve God the best I can, I see no reason why there should be anyone attacking any view point.

What if someone disagrees with your point of view? You call it attacking but that is emotive. Atheists simply question why you believe what you do. We point out the flaws and inconsistencies. No-one is forced to participate here against their will.

The teachings of most current religions (that I've heard of) include some form of peace and/or brother hood.

The practice is something different.

Yes, there are extremists that twist religion to try and use it to justify killing, but I can't think of a popular religion that really condones that.

There is more harm done by religion than just condoning killing.

In the religions that I'm aware of, people who truly follow them should be good people that there's no reason to attack.

Do you mean like the Westboro Baptist Church?

Likewise, they shouldn't be attacking anyone. So, why do people attack religions/atheism? Why aren't they targeting bad people instead?

We aren't the police, just ordinary citizens.
Cooldudebro
Posts: 383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 10:07:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

Everyone wants to prove their right. Every person has specific religious views. For instance, I believe in evolution and a god. Everyone wants validity in their religion. To let them know what they fight for is right. I know I try to go and convince people to join theistic evolution to take them out of the dark and illuminate the truth.

Prime meaning. Religion = the desire to prove your religion is right.
celestialtorahteacher
Posts: 1,369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 10:10:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The problem is with the fundamentalists believers in these religions who will focus on the most social violence producing verses to act them out when the religion is either 1) under threat from other religionists, or 2) whenever the religion obtains political domination. That's when the fundamental beliefs come out as human males are still acting out animal territorial behavior patterns that pit men against men, nations against nations. All for gaining and maintaining territorial control. Religionists use God for their Authority but it's all bunk because as you can plainly see religionists are fighting each other tooth and claw, knives and swords, guns and bombs, rockets and missiles. Male animal behavior.

And even I engage in it as I smash the rationality for these religions by exposing their fraudulent roots in human story-telling being palmed off as "history". I've become the old bull who no young bulls can overcome so we're dealing with elemental human social reality that I know, takes an Alpha Male to overcome the otherwise inherent Alpha Male battling behavior. That Alpha Male of Alpha males who sacrificed Power for Love set the example of how we men can overcome our biological heredity that keeps us at each other's throats instead of seeking ways of peace. That Alpha Male was of course Jesus Christ.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 12:24:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:56:31 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

It's at least partially a confirmation bias, no offense. The threads on here are at least close to evenly split, if only because of the high troll level. Sometimes there's more atheist threads, but I would bet money (if I had money) that there are, historically, more threads attacking atheism (or, perhaps, pre-emptively defending, or preaching) than the other way around--but that may also be a bias on my part. What is obvious, though, is that the religion forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

That said, do bear in mind that, while you can MAKE friends here, and that's a wonderful thing, this site is organized around the conflict of ideas. Thus, you'll get people posting "attacks" on ideas, because they are picking a debate-y fight, because this is debate.org. That's entirely different than when people are just "hanging out". The religion forum is for the discussion of ideas as much as any other forum (regardless of some people's opinion that it should be a place for them to preach without answering responses) and, given the contentious nature of religion in general, it's unsurprising that there's going to be a lot of what seem to you to be attacks.

If you walked in the room with your friends, and said "This is now a debate space. Express your opinion on religion", I'm sure that either they'd leave, because they don't want to do that, or they'd begin "attacking" your position, if they have the opposite one. This forum section is basically that.

Exactly.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:36:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:41:12 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

Response: You said it "generally atheists attacking theists". Atheists have no connection to God, thus having no love whom theists love most. God. So when atheists troll the forum and attack, like any person who hears one they love being slandered, many theists feel the need to respond. Some theists may leave atheist trolls alone in their ignorance. Others like myself, know that if ignorance and slander about God is not addressed, then such slander may actually start to look believable. Hence, the back and forth between atheists and theists.

I understand responding. I don't understand why it starts. I don't think someone who's truly following their religion should be attacking others. For atgiests, I don't get why they feel the need to attack something that they don't even believe exists. There is absolutely zero good that can come from an atheist convincing a theist to forsake their faith.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:57:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 10:04:56 PM, dee-em wrote:

What if someone disagrees with your point of view? You call it attacking but that is emotive. Atheists simply question why you believe what you do. We point out the flaws and inconsistencies. No-one is forced to participate here against their will

There is a difference between a disagreement and then conversation and a verbal attack. I'm not calling a disagreement an attack.

The teachings of most current religions (that I've heard of) include some form of peace and/or brother hood.

The practice is something different.

The practice for some people. Others practice how it should be practiced. Why attack the whole religion for the faults of a few? That's like trying to take away all guns because some people use them for bad even though most don't.

Yes, there are extremists that twist religion to try and use it to justify killing, but I can't think of a popular religion that really condones that.

There is more harm done by religion than just condoning killing.

Religion doesn't condone killing. Islam doesn't preach what ISIS practices until it's been warped and twisted and become a scape goat. What harm does religion condone?

In the religions that I'm aware of, people who truly follow them should be good people that there's no reason to attack.

Do you mean like the Westboro Baptist Church?

That's a minority. Most people aren't like that. That's why you don't hear about most people. My church brough someone from Africa to treat them free, and a member of the congregation is donating a kidney to the person. Without our church, he would have been as good as dead. That church, as well as the church I previously attended and churches we've worked with, are constantly working to help those less fortunate that us.

Likewise, they shouldn't be attacking anyone. So, why do people attack religions/atheism? Why aren't they targeting bad people instead?

We aren't the police, just ordinary citizens.

So because you aren't the police, you should attack an entire concept rather than just those people who abuse the concept?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 11:02:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

God's cowards are much braver from their hiding spot but when the light exposes them, they run away. They can't see the light in forums. Most Christians, Jews, Muslims and atheists run away from me as the light ( Truth ) is spoken to them.
Siladheil
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 11:17:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

Everything I'm about to write is my own personal opinion and I will not be using any sources.

Atheists are people who, without proper evidence, refuse to believe in a higher power that has the power to do whatever it wasn't without repercussion. Oftentimes Theists consider an Atheists arguments to be a direct attack on that person or their thoughts. I personally don't attack that person as an individual, but the religion as a whole. It may come off that I'm attacking that person directly. There are also some Theists that attack Atheists personally and directly. Both sides are equally responsible for attacking the other. It's all about who you talk to and whether or not you poke the right "switches" with your words. Theists think that they are doing everyone a favor by promoting whatever God or Gods that they follow, while Atheists believe (for the most part) that following a religion is similar to being a sheep and failing to think for themselves. Both are trying to persuade the other into their beliefs, but they have different reasons for doing so. I've personally seen Theists and Atheists get pretty nasty.
"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire,
and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Anonymous
Siladheil
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 11:22:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 10:36:27 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:41:12 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

Response: You said it "generally atheists attacking theists". Atheists have no connection to God, thus having no love whom theists love most. God. So when atheists troll the forum and attack, like any person who hears one they love being slandered, many theists feel the need to respond. Some theists may leave atheist trolls alone in their ignorance. Others like myself, know that if ignorance and slander about God is not addressed, then such slander may actually start to look believable. Hence, the back and forth between atheists and theists.

I understand responding. I don't understand why it starts. I don't think someone who's truly following their religion should be attacking others. For atgiests, I don't get why they feel the need to attack something that they don't even believe exists. There is absolutely zero good that can come from an atheist convincing a theist to forsake their faith.

In the mind of an Atheist, there is much good that can come from persuading someone to leave their faith and follow the science road to knowledge. Not only are we helping you "see the light" but your children and their children are also more likely to be science minded and not flock around like a bunch of sheep with their hands waved in the air. If there are any Atheists out there that disagree with my statement, please reply to this and tell me that I'm wrong. I may just change my perspective!
"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire,
and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Anonymous
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 11:31:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 11:02:14 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

God's cowards are much braver from their hiding spot but when the light exposes them, they run away. They can't see the light in forums. Most Christians, Jews, Muslims and atheists run away from me as the light ( Truth ) is spoken to them.

I can't remember the verse to address this right now, but I have it on my wall in my dorm, so I'll I post it later. However, from what I have seen of you, you do not behave how a true follower of God should behave.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
bulproof
Posts: 25,263
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 11:43:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 11:31:49 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 11:02:14 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

God's cowards are much braver from their hiding spot but when the light exposes them, they run away. They can't see the light in forums. Most Christians, Jews, Muslims and atheists run away from me as the light ( Truth ) is spoken to them.

I can't remember the verse to address this right now, but I have it on my wall in my dorm, so I'll I post it later. However, from what I have seen of you, you do not behave how a true follower of God should behave.

Haha he is your freakin' god. Just ask him hahahaha.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 11:48:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 11:31:49 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 11:02:14 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

God's cowards are much braver from their hiding spot but when the light exposes them, they run away. They can't see the light in forums. Most Christians, Jews, Muslims and atheists run away from me as the light ( Truth ) is spoken to them.

I can't remember the verse to address this right now, but I have it on my wall in my dorm, so I'll I post it later. However, from what I have seen of you, you do not behave how a true follower of God should behave.

Liars don't understand the difference between the Truth and a lie. If they knew the Truth ( Light ), they would understand how invisible they really are.
slo1
Posts: 4,353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 12:52:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 11:31:49 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 11:02:14 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

God's cowards are much braver from their hiding spot but when the light exposes them, they run away. They can't see the light in forums. Most Christians, Jews, Muslims and atheists run away from me as the light ( Truth ) is spoken to them.

I can't remember the verse to address this right now, but I have it on my wall in my dorm, so I'll I post it later. However, from what I have seen of you, you do not behave how a true follower of God should behave.

This is exactly why there is so much back and forth, putting your beliefs and expectations ultimately judgement upon someone else who has different beliefs than you.

You are no better than the people you take to task in your original post for attacking others of Christian belief.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:12:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 11:22:07 AM, Siladheil wrote:
In the mind of an Atheist, there is much good that can come from persuading someone to leave their faith and follow the science road to knowledge. Not only are we helping you "see the light" but your children and their children are also more likely to be science minded and not flock around like a bunch of sheep with their hands waved in the air. If there are any Atheists out there that disagree with my statement, please reply to this and tell me that I'm wrong. I may just change my perspective!

What's the benefit to destroying what could be the most important thing in someone's life or their largest source of hope? People can be science minded and religious. I'm going to be majoring in Biomedical Engineering once I hit the point when I can declare a major. The decision to do that is largely grounded in my faith.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:39:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 11:43:27 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/26/2014 11:31:49 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 11:02:14 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/25/2014 9:15:53 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Why are people constantly attacking religion on this site? I'm a very devout Christian, and any of my close college friends could vouch for that. Despite that, in a group of 9 with two practicing Christians, we're all able to get along very well. I've had a couple of deep, meaningful, and respectful conversations with people who are either atheist or just not devout. On here, I can't seem to find a thread in the religion section where someone isn't attacking someone else (generally atheists attacking theists). Could someone please fill me in on this?

God's cowards are much braver from their hiding spot but when the light exposes them, they run away. They can't see the light in forums. Most Christians, Jews, Muslims and atheists run away from me as the light ( Truth ) is spoken to them.

I can't remember the verse to address this right now, but I have it on my wall in my dorm, so I'll I post it later. However, from what I have seen of you, you do not behave how a true follower of God should behave.

Haha he is your freakin' god. Just ask him hahahaha.

*tips fedora*
*watches mlp*
*scratches neckbeard*
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:13:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:12:21 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 11:22:07 AM, Siladheil wrote:
In the mind of an Atheist, there is much good that can come from persuading someone to leave their faith and follow the science road to knowledge. Not only are we helping you "see the light" but your children and their children are also more likely to be science minded and not flock around like a bunch of sheep with their hands waved in the air. If there are any Atheists out there that disagree with my statement, please reply to this and tell me that I'm wrong. I may just change my perspective!

What's the benefit to destroying what could be the most important thing in someone's life or their largest source of hope? People can be science minded and religious. I'm going to be majoring in Biomedical Engineering once I hit the point when I can declare a major. The decision to do that is largely grounded in my faith.

I'm not so sure Science and faith are complimentary as you suggest. I take it you are a non-literalist on your interpretation of the Bible?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 7:07:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 11:31:49 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

I can't remember the verse to address this right now, but I have it on my wall in my dorm, so I'll I post it later. However, from what I have seen of you, you do not behave how a true follower of God should behave.

Golly, gosh. That sounds like an attack to me. It didn't take long.

And the "No True Scotsman" gets yet another airing.
dee-em
Posts: 6,476
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 7:44:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 10:57:55 AM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

There is a difference between a disagreement and then conversation and a verbal attack. I'm not calling a disagreement an attack.

It's all in the eye of the beholder isn't it? :-)

The practice for some people. Others practice how it should be practiced. Why attack the whole religion for the faults of a few? That's like trying to take away all guns because some people use them for bad even though most don't.

Great analogy! Here, in a civilized society, we have taken away all automatic and semi-automatic weapons. Guess what, our murder rate is way lower and mass shootings such as we see regularly in the US are extremely rare.

We critique religion because it is silly, outdated superstition and the world will be a better place without it. It is time we all stood up, thought for ourselves and stopped using it as a crutch.

Religion doesn't condone killing. Islam doesn't preach what ISIS practices until it's been warped and twisted and become a scape goat. What harm does religion condone?

Oh, let's see:
- Constant (inter-)religious war and conflict including terrorism
- Discrimination and violence against gays
- Banning condom use to prevent the spread of HIV
- Banning birth control measures
- Honor killings and stoning
- Inadequate medical care (reliance on prayer)
- Intimidation and violence against legal abortion clinics
- Prevention of life-saving stem cell research
- Genital modification and mutilation
- Loss of culture through missionary zeal
- Suppression of art and literature
- Misogyny and oppression of women
- Mental illness through guilt
- etc. etc.

That's a minority. Most people aren't like that. That's why you don't hear about most people. My church brough someone from Africa to treat them free, and a member of the congregation is donating a kidney to the person. Without our church, he would have been as good as dead. That church, as well as the church I previously attended and churches we've worked with, are constantly working to help those less fortunate that us.

I have never said that that there is no good in religion. It's just that, on balance, religion is not a force for good in the world.

So because you aren't the police, you should attack an entire concept rather than just those people who abuse the concept?

I do both. The concept is ridiculous and needs attacking. This is a debate site created for this very purpose. If you are strong in your beliefs, then why does it bother you? As I said earlier, no-one needs to be here to fend off these "attacks". They're not physical assaults - you do realize that I hope?
Siladheil
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 8:05:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:12:21 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 11:22:07 AM, Siladheil wrote:
In the mind of an Atheist, there is much good that can come from persuading someone to leave their faith and follow the science road to knowledge. Not only are we helping you "see the light" but your children and their children are also more likely to be science minded and not flock around like a bunch of sheep with their hands waved in the air. If there are any Atheists out there that disagree with my statement, please reply to this and tell me that I'm wrong. I may just change my perspective!

What's the benefit to destroying what could be the most important thing in someone's life or their largest source of hope? People can be science minded and religious. I'm going to be majoring in Biomedical Engineering once I hit the point when I can declare a major. The decision to do that is largely grounded in my faith.

What you're failing to understand is that I personally believe that you're placing all of your hope into the wrong category. Instead of placing your trust and confidence into an omnipotent being, place it instead into your fellow man. We can accomplish more working together than what we can if we all stand around with our hands in the air praying to something that isn't even there.
"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire,
and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Anonymous
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 10:44:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 12:52:14 PM, slo1 wrote:
This is exactly why there is so much back and forth, putting your beliefs and expectations ultimately judgement upon someone else who has different beliefs than you.

You are no better than the people you take to task in your original post for attacking others of Christian belief.

In my original question, I asked why people attack other belief systems. From what I gathered, bornofgod views himself as a Christian. In that scenario, I was accusing a Christian of behaving in a manner which is contrary to what Christ and God would want, and detrimental to the way the religion is viewed throughout the world. If he's not a Christian, then I rescind my previous statement.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 10:46:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:39:00 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Haha he is your freakin' god. Just ask him hahahaha.

*tips fedora*
*watches mlp*
*scratches neckbeard*

Some people may ask God for help in every little thing, including remembering a piece of scripture, but I don't. I ask for help on the big things, and, so far, He's been there for me on all of them. There was no reason why I needed God's help to remember the verse when I had it in my dorm. A little patience can go a long way. Plus, I didn't remember the verse quite right, so I wouldn't have ended up posting it if God had told me it any way.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 10:50:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 6:13:10 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
I'm not so sure Science and faith are complimentary as you suggest. I take it you are a non-literalist on your interpretation of the Bible?

In some aspects, yes, I don't take the Bible literally. It has been re-written and translated so many times that it is bound to have change. On top of that, there are those religious leaders that did use religion for power, and have intentionally had things changed. So, I don't take every piece literally, but I stick pretty close to it.

Science and faith go hand in hand unless you are trying to disprove one or the other at every turn. If you truly open your mind and look at the world through non-biased eyes, it's not hard to find God's presence and proof of his existence. It's also not hard to see how both science and religion match up.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena