Total Posts:172|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

God to the rescue once again

dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:05:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I guess it is somewhat of a welcome relief from sportsmen thanking god for winning a game of football, basketball or baseball. Still, you would think a trained doctor would know better:

http://www.smh.com.au...
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:21:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:05:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
I guess it is somewhat of a welcome relief from sportsmen thanking god for winning a game of football, basketball or baseball. Still, you would think a trained doctor would know better:

http://www.smh.com.au...

Right, Science swooped in and saved him. Medical treatments of course give us strength and perseverance ... It was science that saved my in two wars while my friends died too. No way anyone surviving that would be driven to seek a life of purpose ... In been era rather than service either .... Science will save us when we pray ... But not the othevebola victims ....
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:28:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:21:15 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:05:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
I guess it is somewhat of a welcome relief from sportsmen thanking god for winning a game of football, basketball or baseball. Still, you would think a trained doctor would know better:

http://www.smh.com.au...

Right, Science swooped in and saved him. Medical treatments of course give us strength and perseverance ... It was science that saved my in two wars while my friends died too. No way anyone surviving that would be driven to seek a life of purpose ... In been era rather than service either .... Science will save us when we pray ... But not the othevebola victims ....

I'm not trying to be cute but from the garbled response above (an attempt at sarcasm I assume), I have to ask: Are you on some kind of medication?
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:32:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:28:34 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:21:15 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:05:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
I guess it is somewhat of a welcome relief from sportsmen thanking god for winning a game of football, basketball or baseball. Still, you would think a trained doctor would know better:

http://www.smh.com.au...

Right, Science swooped in and saved him. Medical treatments of course give us strength and perseverance ... It was science that saved my in two wars while my friends died too. No way anyone surviving that would be driven to seek a life of purpose ... In been era rather than service either .... Science will save us when we pray ... But not the othevebola victims ....

I'm not trying to be cute but from the garbled response above (an attempt at sarcasm I assume), I have to ask: Are you on some kind of medication?

Great so now you are just being a tool.

Why did science save one Ebola victim and not the other?

Why did I survive two wars but not many of my friends?

Science is the answer tool, let's see a real answer rather than just another tool atheist hurling insults and vapid accusations.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:51:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:32:12 AM, neutral wrote:

Great so now you are just being a tool.

No, I was entirely sincere, asking if you are okay.

Why did science save one Ebola victim and not the other?

The doctor was given an experimental drug named ZMAPP (a cocktail of antibodies) and first world medical treatment. The other patient was aged 80. Either the drug is not 100% effective (which wouldn't be at all unusual) or his age meant that his body wasn't as strong and robust to fight a viral infection (again, not surprising). Also, the fatality rate is between 50-60%, so some will survive anyway with or without drugs.

Why did I survive two wars but not many of my friends?

Only someone who happened to survive by chance could ask this question, obviously. Some always survive, right? There's no mystery to it.

Science is the answer tool, let's see a real answer rather than just another tool atheist hurling insults and vapid accusations.

Gee you're touchy. Calm down. I'm not attacking you personally, only questioning the Christian tendency to attribute to prayer what has a natural explanation.
bulproof
Posts: 25,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 5:54:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:32:12 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:28:34 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:21:15 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:05:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
I guess it is somewhat of a welcome relief from sportsmen thanking god for winning a game of football, basketball or baseball. Still, you would think a trained doctor would know better:

http://www.smh.com.au...

Right, Science swooped in and saved him. Medical treatments of course give us strength and perseverance ... It was science that saved my in two wars while my friends died too. No way anyone surviving that would be driven to seek a life of purpose ... In been era rather than service either .... Science will save us when we pray ... But not the othevebola victims ....

I'm not trying to be cute but from the garbled response above (an attempt at sarcasm I assume), I have to ask: Are you on some kind of medication?

Great so now you are just being a tool.

Why did science save one Ebola victim and not the other?

Why did I survive two wars but not many of my friends?

Science is the answer tool, let's see a real answer rather than just another tool atheist hurling insults and vapid accusations.

How many went to those wars?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:15:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:51:38 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:32:12 AM, neutral wrote:

Great so now you are just being a tool.

No, I was entirely sincere, asking if you are okay.

Why did science save one Ebola victim and not the other?

The doctor was given an experimental drug named ZMAPP (a cocktail of antibodies) and first world medical treatment. The other patient was aged 80. Either the drug is not 100% effective (which wouldn't be at all unusual) or his age meant that his body wasn't as strong and robust to fight a viral infection (again, not surprising). Also, the fatality rate is between 50-60%, so some will survive anyway with or without drugs.

Why did I survive two wars but not many of my friends?

Only someone who happened to survive by chance could ask this question, obviously. Some always survive, right? There's no mystery to it.

Science is the answer tool, let's see a real answer rather than just another tool atheist hurling insults and vapid accusations.

Gee you're touchy. Calm down. I'm not attacking you personally, only questioning the Christian tendency to attribute to prayer what has a natural explanation.

And why did he get it and not the other victims? Why would a man whose life was saved consider that lucky? Ya think?

Gee, when you vap[idly accuse someone of being on medictaion, WTF do you expect? You could just apologize.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:26:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 6:15:26 AM, neutral wrote:

And why did he get it and not the other victims?

He was American and it's a US based drug company (with limited supply of this experimental drug). No mystery.

Why would a man whose life was saved consider that lucky? Ya think?

Luck is one thing. Attributing his luck to prayer is another.

Gee, when you vap[idly accuse someone of being on medictaion, WTF do you expect? You could just apologize.

If showing concern because of your erratic style of writing caused you offense, for that I am sorry. Ok?
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 6:47:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:05:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
I guess it is somewhat of a welcome relief from sportsmen thanking god for winning a game of football, basketball or baseball. Still, you would think a trained doctor would know better:

http://www.smh.com.au...

That is bullcrap what you think if you pray God will come down and cure you??? as the prophet mohamod peace be upom him said : There is no disease that god has sent down except that He also has sent down its treatment".

so our job is to find it not praying all day and doing nothing.
Never fart near dog
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 7:07:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:51:38 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:32:12 AM, neutral wrote:

Science is the answer tool, let's see a real answer rather than just another tool atheist hurling insults and vapid accusations.

Gee you're touchy. Calm down. I'm not attacking you personally, only questioning the Christian tendency to attribute to prayer what has a natural explanation.

Here's what you do not understand: Christians (who are inherently wrong when they do anything according to your responses to them) do believe that science helps them. They don't simply pray and then attribute being saved from something to that. They believe God wills certain things and that natural order helps them, but they also pray to God so he speeds up the way science helps them.
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 7:47:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 6:26:52 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/26/2014 6:15:26 AM, neutral wrote:

And why did he get it and not the other victims?

He was American and it's a US based drug company (with limited supply of this experimental drug). No mystery.

Why would a man whose life was saved consider that lucky? Ya think?

Luck is one thing. Attributing his luck to prayer is another.

Gee, when you vap[idly accuse someone of being on medictaion, WTF do you expect? You could just apologize.

If showing concern because of your erratic style of writing caused you offense, for that I am sorry. Ok?

No worries. We all make mistakes.

The larger issue here though is worth mentioning. Some have already touched on the use of science by religious people. The larger issue here is ... humanity in the questions.

Why do Africans who died not have access to this new science? I will submit that luck, rather than issues like misgovernance, corruption, a lack of educational system, poor infastructure, etc. have far more direct and KNOWN causation here than 'luck'.

Why was the doctor there? Rather than in Beverly Hills making millions as a plastic surgeon? I will submit that he was motivated to help the poor and afflicted, as our understanding of the above situation dictated by his conscience. This is charity and selfless service in action, rather than science correct?

That he contracted the disease while treating those in need is devestating. Why was he flown home? Despite the wisespread fear that was easily found that he would bring 'Ebola' back with him? Because good men and women understood the risk and brought resources to bear to return him, treat him with the appropriate protective gear and environmental protections, give his access to much greater levels of care (replacement of fluid and blood alone has a great effect on outcomes, not just a new drug), and give him the ability to fight.

I have seen people battle death, and have seen what happens when people give up. There is a very human element to this one way or the other.

the choices that suffuse this story are ethical in nature. God, or at least one man inspired by God, is the center of this story. A loft ethic that drove risk and selfless aid to the those in need, the administration of 'science' by a Western trained doctor properly motivated and ethically driven to help who was truck down in the very act of aiding. That such a man in turn found aid, has little to do with science and much to do with what is best about humanity. Our ethics.

God is very much in this story, and who does and does not get access to medicine is not luck - it is the ethical decisions that we make as individuals that determine these outcomes - an area of ethics, in which science provides the ability to aid those in need rather than act as some mythic problem solver that descends only through luck with its benevolance.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 7:51:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 7:07:37 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Here's what you do not understand: Christians (who are inherently wrong when they do anything according to your responses to them) do believe that science helps them. They don't simply pray and then attribute being saved from something to that. They believe God wills certain things and that natural order helps them, but they also pray to God so he speeds up the way science helps them.

Is that so? How much 'speeding up' do you estimate praying did in this case? How do you go about quantifying it? I think you'll find that your assertion is unfalsifiable and therefore of no worth.
bulproof
Posts: 25,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:02:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 7:47:31 AM, neutral wrote:
Why do Africans who died not have access to this new science? I will submit that luck, rather than issues like misgovernance, corruption, a lack of educational system, poor infastructure, etc. have far more direct and KNOWN causation here than 'luck'.

Luck has more has more to do with Africans getting access to new drugs than everything he mentioned.

You won't understand but your statement is internally self contradictory.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Bennett91
Posts: 4,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:16:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 6:47:08 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

That is bullcrap what you think if you pray God will come down and cure you??? as the prophet mohamod peace be upom him said : There is no disease that god has sent down except that He also has sent down its treatment".

so our job is to find it not praying all day and doing nothing.

Oh so Allah has also sent down a cure for HIV? That's good to know that the millions of Africans dying from AIDS can rest easy knowing that God has hidden their fate in a chemical rubix cube that only western scientists have the laboratories to unlock. Cancer is in there too right?
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:27:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:16:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 6:47:08 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

That is bullcrap what you think if you pray God will come down and cure you??? as the prophet mohamod peace be upom him said : There is no disease that god has sent down except that He also has sent down its treatment".

so our job is to find it not praying all day and doing nothing.

Oh so Allah has also sent down a cure for HIV? That's good to know that the millions of Africans dying from AIDS can rest easy knowing that God has hidden their fate in a chemical rubix cube that only western scientists have the laboratories to unlock. Cancer is in there too right?

I thought science was supposed to magically fly in and save them?

Why is your country spending more on military hardware then on AIDS research? Must be because of ... sceince?

The misallocation of resources God gives us is whose fault? Can SCIENCE allow us to see this? And what are you doing about it? Right, you are blaming a God you don;t even believe in for it.

Nice.

Its amazing how atheists blame everything bad on God, and then turn around attack religious people when they give God credit for anything at all ... but this double standard is ... objective?

Again, are you trying to convince us that you are right, or just insult us? Ever seen anyone insulted into changing their mind?
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:34:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:16:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 6:47:08 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

That is bullcrap what you think if you pray God will come down and cure you??? as the prophet mohamod peace be upom him said : There is no disease that god has sent down except that He also has sent down its treatment".

so our job is to find it not praying all day and doing nothing.

Oh so Allah has also sent down a cure for HIV? That's good to know that the millions of Africans dying from AIDS can rest easy knowing that God has hidden their fate in a chemical rubix cube that only western scientists have the laboratories to unlock. Cancer is in there too right?

do you understand english? every disease has its cure. every one. sent down means he made a cure, so what you trying to say here science and discovery is a rubbish too?
Never fart near dog
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:34:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 7:47:31 AM, neutral wrote:

The larger issue here though is worth mentioning. Some have already touched on the use of science by religious people. The larger issue here is ... humanity in the questions.

Why do Africans who died not have access to this new science? I will submit that luck, rather than issues like misgovernance, corruption, a lack of educational system, poor infastructure, etc. have far more direct and KNOWN causation here than 'luck'.

Why was the doctor there? Rather than in Beverly Hills making millions as a plastic surgeon? I will submit that he was motivated to help the poor and afflicted, as our understanding of the above situation dictated by his conscience. This is charity and selfless service in action, rather than science correct?

That he contracted the disease while treating those in need is devestating. Why was he flown home? Despite the wisespread fear that was easily found that he would bring 'Ebola' back with him? Because good men and women understood the risk and brought resources to bear to return him, treat him with the appropriate protective gear and environmental protections, give his access to much greater levels of care (replacement of fluid and blood alone has a great effect on outcomes, not just a new drug), and give him the ability to fight.

I have seen people battle death, and have seen what happens when people give up. There is a very human element to this one way or the other.

the choices that suffuse this story are ethical in nature. God, or at least one man inspired by God, is the center of this story. A loft ethic that drove risk and selfless aid to the those in need, the administration of 'science' by a Western trained doctor properly motivated and ethically driven to help who was truck down in the very act of aiding. That such a man in turn found aid, has little to do with science and much to do with what is best about humanity. Our ethics.

God is very much in this story, and who does and does not get access to medicine is not luck - it is the ethical decisions that we make as individuals that determine these outcomes - an area of ethics, in which science provides the ability to aid those in need rather than act as some mythic problem solver that descends only through luck with its benevolance.

I don't mean to belittle your response which I'm sure is well meant. Being a missionary doctor, it's probable that a lot of what you say about his motivation for being there is true. However, the issue here is solely whether the doctor should be thanking science or god for saving his life.

I submit that medical science (probably) or natural immunity saved him and that prayer was irrelevant. If you don't agree then you have to account for the 1,400 who have already died. As a caring human being, I believe all of these, my fellow humans, were worth saving (prayer or no prayer). Saying some are more worthy than others because of good deeds, prayer and/or piety is abhorrent to me if that is the way you think god operates.

No, studies have been done and there is no evidence for efficacy in prayers regardless of how often Christians assert it. Every time a sportsman thanks god for their success, I have to cringe at the arrogance. How can they possibly believe that god chose them to help win a game(!) when he won't help the millions suffering in poverty, oppression or disease. It beggars belief.

This doctor, no matter how deserving, is showing similar arrogance. He thinks god favoured him with a close escape from death while ignoring the 1,400 West Africans who have died. The inescapable conclusion is that he considers himself above them as more worthy. That's outrageous and offensive to me.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:40:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:27:53 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/26/2014 8:16:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 6:47:08 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

That is bullcrap what you think if you pray God will come down and cure you??? as the prophet mohamod peace be upom him said : There is no disease that god has sent down except that He also has sent down its treatment".

so our job is to find it not praying all day and doing nothing.

Oh so Allah has also sent down a cure for HIV? That's good to know that the millions of Africans dying from AIDS can rest easy knowing that God has hidden their fate in a chemical rubix cube that only western scientists have the laboratories to unlock. Cancer is in there too right?

I thought science was supposed to magically fly in and save them?

Why is your country spending more on military hardware then on AIDS research? Must be because of ... sceince?

The misallocation of resources God gives us is whose fault? Can SCIENCE allow us to see this? And what are you doing about it? Right, you are blaming a God you don;t even believe in for it.

Nice.

Its amazing how atheists blame everything bad on God, and then turn around attack religious people when they give God credit for anything at all ... but this double standard is ... objective?

Again, are you trying to convince us that you are right, or just insult us? Ever seen anyone insulted into changing their mind?

Do you guys see how lost you are? Probably not...."lost" means lost from Heaven and lost to Hell. Death from sin is taking you down to Hell, you are lost if you are not saved from Hell. You guys are fighting over futilities, a futile fight. You both lose everything the way you are going.
bulproof
Posts: 25,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:46:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 6:47:08 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:05:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
I guess it is somewhat of a welcome relief from sportsmen thanking god for winning a game of football, basketball or baseball. Still, you would think a trained doctor would know better:

http://www.smh.com.au...

That is bullcrap what you think if you pray God will come down and cure you??? as the prophet mohamod peace be upom him said : There is no disease that god has sent down except that He also has sent down its treatment".

so our job is to find it not praying all day and doing nothing.

Why would I pray to something that doesn't exist?

My mother prayed to die to be with her husband everyday after my dad died, every day. It took my mum 10 more yrs to die at the end of 4 days in hospital from a stroke and her pulling her nightdress up continuously to display her nakedness, through no fault of her own.
She lived in my house for the last 6yrs of her life after I spent everything I had to rebuild my house so that it was usable for her.
I never once told her how pointless it was to sit there and say her prayers, how many "christians would tell their atheist parent that they needed to repent?" as a corollary?

My mother died at the age of 93 and it had nothing to do with my atheism that existed for at least 30yrs before that.

3,650 days of praying got her a death that no-one would want and she LOVED your stupid god. Grow up.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:51:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:40:36 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

Do you guys see how lost you are? Probably not...."lost" means lost from Heaven and lost to Hell. Death from sin is taking you down to Hell, you are lost if you are not saved from Hell. You guys are fighting over futilities, a futile fight. You both lose everything the way you are going.

WTF does this have to do wit the discussion at hand? Which is whether or not ethics or science plays the key role in the survival of the doctor?

You think its futile? Well, thanks for that!
Bennett91
Posts: 4,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:52:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:27:53 AM, neutral wrote:

I thought science was supposed to magically fly in and save them?

No neutral, magic is for theists. Experimentation as we see with the man cured from Ebola, is for scientists.

Why is your country spending more on military hardware then on AIDS research? Must be because of ... sceince?

No, science has nothing to do with it. It's more geo-politics and the need to secure American economic interests abroad.

The misallocation of resources God gives us is whose fault? Can SCIENCE allow us to see this? And what are you doing about it? Right, you are blaming a God you don;t even believe in for it.

I was being sarcastic about POPO's comment which honestly sounded like sarcasm too. I can't blame God for the strife of man because God does not exist. You seem intent on blaming science though. Which is is odd because science is a tool, like a ruler or a gun, science has no agency. It is the user of science who determines whether it's used for good or bad. Also can God allow us to understand war and strife is bad? In the Bible God orders the Israelites to commit genocide and rape to secure the promised land from non-belivers.

Its amazing how atheists blame everything bad on God, and then turn around attack religious people when they give God credit for anything at all ... but this double standard is ... objective?

We don't blame God because he doesn't exist. When appropriate we point the finger at theists who hypocritically claim to be acting in the name of God.

Again, are you trying to convince us that you are right, or just insult us? Ever seen anyone insulted into changing their mind?

Have I called you any names? If you consider a challenge to your beliefs an insult then you do not have the emotional or intellectual wherewithal to engage in health debate.

I honestly don't want to drag this talk with you into another forum. It's clear you are having an existential crisis when you ask "Why did I survive the wars but not others?" By asking this question you beg a reason, out of the chaos of war you seek an answer. And the answer you're satisfied with is "God chose me." This is a coping mechanism, not a logical answer.

I don't really want to press you out of pity, but even your attempts at mental stability reek or theist arrogance. You think God chose you over your dead friends for a reason? What is that reason would you guess? Were your friends atheists? Non-christians? Did they not pray hard enough? Were you better & more worthy some how than they? Were they predestined to die by Gods magnanimous design? You don't know the answer of why you lived and they died. You reject the probability that some people get to go home, and you can't rationalize why you were one of the lucky ones without God. You are not special, you are merely a human being who suffers as we all do. This is called The Human Condition. It has nothing to do with science.
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:01:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 8:52:03 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 8:27:53 AM, neutral wrote:

I thought science was supposed to magically fly in and save them?

No neutral, magic is for theists. Experimentation as we see with the man cured from Ebola, is for scientists.

Why is your country spending more on military hardware then on AIDS research? Must be because of ... sceince?

No, science has nothing to do with it. It's more geo-politics and the need to secure American economic interests abroad.

The misallocation of resources God gives us is whose fault? Can SCIENCE allow us to see this? And what are you doing about it? Right, you are blaming a God you don;t even believe in for it.

I was being sarcastic about POPO's comment which honestly sounded like sarcasm too. I can't blame God for the strife of man because God does not exist. You seem intent on blaming science though. Which is is odd because science is a tool, like a ruler or a gun, science has no agency. It is the user of science who determines whether it's used for good or bad. Also can God allow us to understand war and strife is bad? In the Bible God orders the Israelites to commit genocide and rape to secure the promised land from non-belivers.

Its amazing how atheists blame everything bad on God, and then turn around attack religious people when they give God credit for anything at all ... but this double standard is ... objective?

We don't blame God because he doesn't exist. When appropriate we point the finger at theists who hypocritically claim to be acting in the name of God.

Again, are you trying to convince us that you are right, or just insult us? Ever seen anyone insulted into changing their mind?

Have I called you any names? If you consider a challenge to your beliefs an insult then you do not have the emotional or intellectual wherewithal to engage in health debate.

I honestly don't want to drag this talk with you into another forum. It's clear you are having an existential crisis when you ask "Why did I survive the wars but not others?" By asking this question you beg a reason, out of the chaos of war you seek an answer. And the answer you're satisfied with is "God chose me." This is a coping mechanism, not a logical answer.

I don't really want to press you out of pity, but even your attempts at mental stability reek or theist arrogance. You think God chose you over your dead friends for a reason? What is that reason would you guess? Were your friends atheists? Non-christians? Did they not pray hard enough? Were you better & more worthy some how than they? Were they predestined to die by Gods magnanimous design? You don't know the answer of why you lived and they died. You reject the probability that some people get to go home, and you can't rationalize why you were one of the lucky ones without God. You are not special, you are merely a human being who suffers as we all do. This is called The Human Condition. It has nothing to do with science.

I am glad that so many atheists think that they are mental health experts and can diagnose something about people over the internet when they happen to disgree with them - I mean THAT is 'science'.

Survivor's Guilt is a common and SCIENTIFICALLY documented process that takes place in such well known movies as ... Saving Private Ryan. To go through a process where life is taken with ease can, and indeed should, create questions about what one does with the time they have alloted on Earth - knowing full well the fragility of life on Earth. Its a question about purpose.

I am glad thought, that yet another vicious atheist will call alegitimate question about the fragility of human life and what we do - whether we waste time collecting money and temporal power, verses selfless helping and servicing of others, whether family is more important than an 80 hour a week dead end job ... considers such questions a sign of mental health.

I especially appreciate the straight up prejudice of anyone dismissing any talk of combat and war, even as oour country remains engaged in one, and is involved in several shadow wars as a 'mental health' issue rather than a legitimate quetsion about the ethics of war and the human costs of the decision to enage in war.

Clearly you are suffering for coward's guilt for avoidng the duty your country needed. Get help.
bulproof
Posts: 25,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:04:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:01:19 AM, neutral wrote:
I am glad thought, that yet another vicious atheist will call alegitimate question about the fragility of human life and what we do - whether we waste time collecting money and temporal power, verses selfless helping and servicing of others, whether family is more important than an 80 hour a week dead end job ... considers such questions a sign of mental health.
This para is though.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Bennett91
Posts: 4,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:05:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
You claim to care about the fragility of life yet you call me a coward for not engaging in war ... let me know when that makes sense.
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:22:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:05:03 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
You claim to care about the fragility of life yet you call me a coward for not engaging in war ... let me know when that makes sense.

Yeah, because life is fragile ... why waste it being a coward.

In case you missed it, the doctor nearly gave his life BECAUSE he felt his life was worth risking to HELP others. That is life.

Sitting around safely questioning the mental health of others for asking the question, "Why did I live when so many others died?," as if that is somehow unusual to ask after a war is ... not really relevant nor indeed a valid basis to question the mental stability of anyone is it.

But you did.

Because unlike the doctor, you would rather knock people down than help them.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with science and everything to do with ethics. Thank you for proving my point.
dee-em
Posts: 6,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:24:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 5:21:15 AM, neutral wrote:

It was science that saved my in two wars while my friends died too.

Your profile says you are 38 years old. I'm curious, what wars did you fight in?
bulproof
Posts: 25,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:33:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:22:15 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/26/2014 9:05:03 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
You claim to care about the fragility of life yet you call me a coward for not engaging in war ... let me know when that makes sense.

Yeah, because life is fragile ... why waste it being a coward.

In case you missed it, the doctor nearly gave his life BECAUSE he felt his life was worth risking to HELP others. That is life.

Sitting around safely questioning the mental health of others for asking the question, "Why did I live when so many others died?," as if that is somehow unusual to ask after a war is ... not really relevant nor indeed a valid basis to question the mental stability of anyone is it.

But you did.

Because unlike the doctor, you would rather knock people down than help them.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with science and everything to do with ethics. Thank you for proving my point.

How many went to these wars? Yeah I know I asked before, but you didn't answer, so you know I asked again.

BTW why didn't your god find it in his heart to save the 5,000 or so (on your side) (100's of thousands on the other side)?

Why were you so special to your god?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:43:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:24:30 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/26/2014 5:21:15 AM, neutral wrote:

It was science that saved my in two wars while my friends died too.

Your profile says you are 38 years old. I'm curious, what wars did you fight in?

Iraq and Afghanistan.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:57:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:22:15 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/26/2014 9:05:03 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
You claim to care about the fragility of life yet you call me a coward for not engaging in war ... let me know when that makes sense.

Yeah, because life is fragile ... why waste it being a coward.

Am I a coward for not wanting to go to war and kill people? Furthermore you know jack sh!t about me. You have no idea of who I am or what I plan to do with my life. To call me a coward when you can't even confront your own survivors guilt, saying it only happens in the movies [1], is hypocrisy at best narcissism at worst.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:07:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/26/2014 9:57:13 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 8/26/2014 9:22:15 AM, neutral wrote:
At 8/26/2014 9:05:03 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
You claim to care about the fragility of life yet you call me a coward for not engaging in war ... let me know when that makes sense.

Yeah, because life is fragile ... why waste it being a coward.

Am I a coward for not wanting to go to war and kill people? Furthermore you know jack sh!t about me. You have no idea of who I am or what I plan to do with my life. To call me a coward when you can't even confront your own survivors guilt, saying it only happens in the movies [1], is hypocrisy at best narcissism at worst.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

You are a coward because you sit in anonymity calling people who did, for reasons you certainly haven't taken the time to appreciate, and diagnosed them as mental health issues based solely on an animus to their religion.

Also you dishonest fool, I ssaid Survivor's Guilt was WELL KNOWN and displayed in movies like Saving Private Ryan, not that it was only there.

Cowards lie for the sake of pride. Period.

Another atheist troll. Shocking.