Jump to topic:

An Honest Question

AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:28:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So.... I'm an atheist, and i have a question for you Christians out there. In fact, i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who has ever wondered about this, so here it is....

If Adam was the first man ever, and Eve came from his ribs, does that mean they're related? And if they were, why did they have children then?

If not, who did their children have children with, or was it okay back then for brothers and sisters to have children together?

I'm honestly curious, i'm not trying to diss the bible here or anything...

So, answers please?
I may or may not be a cat
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:55:45 PM
It's actually a very good question, and incest (if you can call it that) isn't just present there. After the great flood, only Noah's immediate family was left, which means they could only have restored humanity by... you guessed it... incest.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 8:58:43 PM
At 8/26/2014 8:55:45 PM, Subutai wrote:
It's actually a very good question, and incest (if you can call it that) isn't just present there. After the great flood, only Noah's immediate family was left, which means they could only have restored humanity by... you guessed it... incest.

So according to Christianity, relationships between close family members are okay? Then why are so many people against it if they are all Christian?
I may or may not be a cat
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:01:36 PM
At 8/26/2014 8:58:43 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
At 8/26/2014 8:55:45 PM, Subutai wrote:

So according to Christianity, relationships between close family members are okay? Then why are so many people against it if they are all Christian?

It's a symptom of religion, in my opinion. If you actually read the Bible and the Qur'an, you'll see that there's no basis for the modern brand of religious fundamentalist sects that have arisen in both religions.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:02:08 PM
At 8/26/2014 8:28:27 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
So.... I'm an atheist, and i have a question for you Christians out there. In fact, i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who has ever wondered about this, so here it is....

If Adam was the first man ever, and Eve came from his ribs, does that mean they're related? And if they were, why did they have children then?

If not, who did their children have children with, or was it okay back then for brothers and sisters to have children together?

So, answers please?

Yes, the earliest human population was probably conceived through incest. To be fair, though, if we all descended from a common ancestor billions of years ago then incest was also likely committed, much more frequently than in the Genesis Account.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:05:16 PM

So, answers please?

Response: Although you only asked Christians, as a Muslim, we also believe in the story of Adam and Eve and yes, they were related. In Islam, we are all related as we all came from the same parents, Adam and Eve. The sexual relation of brother and sister occurred once between the first direct children of Adam and Eve with Cain and Abel. Each had a twin sister and married the other sister and had children. Once cousins were born from the children, Islam forbid sexual relations between siblings except with cousins, even until this day.

I don't think the Christians will give you this type of ancestor as they are not likely to defend incest, despite the fact that it clearly occured. Even I myself as a Muslim had difficulty at first. Islam does not have this problem and recognizes that incest was allowed between Adam and Eve's first children before it was immediately prohibited after cousins were born from their descendants.
DPMartin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:23:56 PM
The first born of the generations to Noah live hundreds of years, a lot can happen in that amount of time even if the rest didn"t live half as long. Even from Noah that could be taken into consideration. Abraham was tenth generation even from Noah and he still lived to be 175.

They didn"t have the same circumstance we have today and they Adam and Eve where instructed to be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it. So they did with God"s blessing. But most anything that God puts into man"s hand usually turns into something God didn"t make it for.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 9:46:04 PM

So, answers please?

That's actually a pretty good question. Thank you for asking. :3

Ummmm. Well to start, I think it would be that DNA could've played a role in being similar to Adam, but maybe the rib was used to form a physical matter form without necessarily making it an incest form. That's just my hypothesis at the moment. I am not sure about the children though. In all honesty, i'm one of those who doesn't take genesis as literal.

I hope this answered your questions.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2014 10:30:23 PM

So, answers please?

You probably shouldn't take the story of Adam and Eve literally, but rather in a metaphorical or symbolic way to represent humanity, good, evil, etc.

Trying to read that stuff literally will make absolutely no sense. And it's not just the Bible. A lot of Latin texts that I'm reading are the same, too >.> You try to take it literally and nothing is going to make sense.

I remember someone posting this in another thread, but it's like when Jesus said "I am the vine."

He probably didn't mean that he was literally a vine. Or else we have a problem.
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2014 7:51:40 AM
At 8/26/2014 10:30:23 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

So, answers please?

You probably shouldn't take the story of Adam and Eve literally, but rather in a metaphorical or symbolic way to represent humanity, good, evil, etc.

Trying to read that stuff literally will make absolutely no sense. And it's not just the Bible. A lot of Latin texts that I'm reading are the same, too >.> You try to take it literally and nothing is going to make sense.

I remember someone posting this in another thread, but it's like when Jesus said "I am the vine."

He probably didn't mean that he was literally a vine. Or else we have a problem.

why cant jesus be a vine? :(
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 2:29:03 AM

So, answers please?

Hmm... Well, for this I will first point out that there are portions of the world that actually translate it to "Flesh from his side" but that is more of a semantic issue, and is not under discussion here.

Let me ask you a question in return, in which I would honestly ask you to spend a few moments pondering it... Where did Seth's (The third son of Adam) wife come from?
The scripture does not mention how she came to be, and siblings typically cannot have children together. What can we draw from this?

My personal belief is that the Old Testament has a tendency to only point out the "Important" people. Meaning, it is unlikely that the genealogy found in Genesis does not mean that the people only had sons. So, would it be possible for Christianity to accept that God created multiple people in the garden? And that Adam and Eve had more children than just three?

Sure! There isn't definitive proof, but it would certainly help the case for those who share the evolutionary and theological worldviews inside themselves. Would a Christian have trouble believing that? Well, I would certainly understand their skepticism, as I do not have definitive proof. There could be any number of ways for humanity to have grown the way that it did.

Moving back now, to the original question, could Adam and Eve have had a child together, despite being made up of the same genetic material?
Well, I would hesitantly say yes, because I also believe that God used more than just Adam's rib in the creation of woman. That is to say the primary part of the woman was the rib of the man. From that piece of man, God created woman, but God also used more than just that. If you'd like evidential proof on that, I don't have it spelled out plainly in scripture, but it is the conclusion that I have arrived at after spending many hours in it.
How does this answer your question? Well, if we can reproduce with people that share a genetic commonality below a certain threshold, then surely the complimentary parts of Eve that did not come from Adam would make this commonality a sustainable one.

Hoping that I was able to answer your question, but if not, don't hesitate to tell me.
August Rasa, a 4:53 mind