Jump to topic:

I have a Jewish view on the tree of knowledge

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 8:35:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
As a Christian, I am going to explain why I kind of left the doctrine of original sin and how after study, I came to adopt more of a Jewish understanding.

Genesis itself has many parallels to its neighbors. It's allegorical and we can get alot of insight into how people saw the world. There are parallels to the story of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, making it likely to be allegorical.

Now, I don't believe God created the devil. Evil is the result of good. The Bible doesn't say that we sin because of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but that it's simply in our nature. In Judaism, good and evil were 2 separate forces in existence outside of the human pysche. Free will existed, but when man ate of it, the evil inclination was produced. Rashi comments that the first sin of the woman was adding to God's commandment.

Kaballah also teaches that evil is depends on good for its existence.

Feel free to share thoughts
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 9:40:09 AM
The Garden of Eden represents the agricultural revolution. The Garden represented hunting and gathering, you just went and gathered what you needed. The fruit represents the knowledge of agriculture, which destroyed their way of life (leaving the garden) and gave them knowledge of agriculture (good and evil).

I am not the best at explaining this, but I can provide a good link to a video where it is described if you are interested.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:18:01 AM
At 8/28/2014 9:40:09 AM, SNP1 wrote:
The Garden of Eden represents the agricultural revolution. The Garden represented hunting and gathering, you just went and gathered what you needed. The fruit represents the knowledge of agriculture, which destroyed their way of life (leaving the garden) and gave them knowledge of agriculture (good and evil).

I am not the best at explaining this, but I can provide a good link to a video where it is described if you are interested.

I also noticed themes of agriculture, im interested in the video
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:22:47 AM
At 8/28/2014 10:18:01 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

It is two guys that read the Bible and give their secular commentary on it. I can't remember where they mention it in this video, but it is very interesting.

I can't remember if it is episode 2 or 3 (my speakers blew out this morning, so I can't listen to it fully in order to find out which it is)

https://www.youtube.com...
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 1:57:03 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:22:47 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 8/28/2014 10:18:01 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:

It is two guys that read the Bible and give their secular commentary on it. I can't remember where they mention it in this video, but it is very interesting.

I can't remember if it is episode 2 or 3 (my speakers blew out this morning, so I can't listen to it fully in order to find out which it is)

https://www.youtube.com...

lol they didn't help me understand it better but ok
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:00:40 PM
The Second Genesis story is about Yahweh as god and is full of Judah priests bullshite especially the crap about the Tree of Knowledge. The very thing that makes human beings not still apes is our Curiosity, our willingness to Learn new things. That phony Yahweh man-made construct wants to tell Hebrews not ever to think outside Yahweh who is their commander in chief as a typical war god demanding absolute obedience to orders. In this case, the order written by priests of Judah.

The Second Genesis god lied completely and there's no truth in a liar. Look at the "day in which Adam and Eve ate of the tree of knowledge and see that they didn't die then. In fact, Adam supposedly lived 930 years, some threat of you will die in the day you eat of the tree. Eve is so disrespected that her death isn't recorded. It's all bullhockey. Genesis One is the real Creation Story in symbolic form.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 10:06:49 PM
At 8/28/2014 10:00:40 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

The Second Genesis god lied completely and there's no truth in a liar. Look at the "day in which Adam and Eve ate of the tree of knowledge and see that they didn't die then. In fact, Adam supposedly lived 930 years, some threat of you will die in the day you eat of the tree. Eve is so disrespected that her death isn't recorded. It's all bullhockey. Genesis One is the real Creation Story in symbolic form.

"... of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die" does not mean that "if you eat it today, you'll die today." There are other places in which similar, almost parallel, wording is used connected with similar warnings - and in no case did the person who disobey die that day. Why? Not because anyone is lying, but because the phrase doesn't mean that in the first place.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 11:18:32 PM
At 8/28/2014 8:35:42 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
As a Christian, I am going to explain why I kind of left the doctrine of original sin and how after study, I came to adopt more of a Jewish understanding.

Genesis itself has many parallels to its neighbors. It's allegorical and we can get alot of insight into how people saw the world. There are parallels to the story of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, making it likely to be allegorical.

Now, I don't believe God created the devil. Evil is the result of good. The Bible doesn't say that we sin because of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but that it's simply in our nature. In Judaism, good and evil were 2 separate forces in existence outside of the human pysche. Free will existed, but when man ate of it, the evil inclination was produced. Rashi comments that the first sin of the woman was adding to God's commandment.

Kaballah also teaches that evil is depends on good for its existence.

Feel free to share thoughts

Is that because, no matter how hard you try you can't make the christian version make any sense at all?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:41:26 AM
At 8/28/2014 10:06:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

"... of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die" does not mean that "if you eat it today, you'll die today." There are other places in which similar, almost parallel, wording is used connected with similar warnings - and in no case did the person who disobey die that day. Why? Not because anyone is lying, but because the phrase doesn't mean that in the first place.

Is that because, no matter how hard you try you can't make the christian version make any sense at all?

Gentile Christian Apologists agree. Genesis Two words don't mean what they say. "In the Day that you eat doesn't mean in the Day that you eat but something else" and here we go again into utter biological insanity being foisted onto naive or purposely blind believers. If as you want to do the Apologist dance about meaning that it means human beings all die instead of living forever, then that is what I'm telling you is biological insanity you of all people, as a vet, should understand is total lunacy. No way Life could exist without Death under the laws of our Creation. Each species would have filled the planet with undying living things, total scenario is not even worth thinking about. Yet it is the Terror placed into Judeo-Christianity by first Jews, then Gentiles following Jews without comprehension.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:44:55 AM
At 8/29/2014 8:41:26 AM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
At 8/28/2014 10:06:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

Gentile Christian Apologists agree. Genesis Two words don't mean what they say. "In the Day that you eat doesn't mean in the Day that you eat but something else" and here we go again into utter biological insanity being foisted onto naive or purposely blind believers. If as you want to do the Apologist dance about meaning that it means human beings all die instead of living forever, then that is what I'm telling you is biological insanity you of all people, as a vet, should understand is total lunacy. No way Life could exist without Death under the laws of our Creation. Each species would have filled the planet with undying living things, total scenario is not even worth thinking about. Yet it is the Terror placed into Judeo-Christianity by first Jews, then Gentiles following Jews without comprehension.

I can't help it if similar warnings using similar language simply do not mean "if you do this, you'll die on the same day that you do it." That's not what it means.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:45:05 AM
And without comprehension means in the end, without morality, BAD RELIGION being passed along to the next generations keeping the Abrahamic religious warfare system going on and on and on, farooking up our world with constant violence somewhere in the world being acted out by Abrahamic believers.