Jump to topic:

Souls

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 4:46:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think the entire concept of souls is ridiculous.

What use would they be? My mind and body already take care of it's supposed job.

Even when I was a Christian I realized it didn't make much sense and changed my stance from thinking that a soul makes a person to that a person makes a soul; not like an engine running your consciousness but like a copy of yourself used for bringing you back in the after-life. That's seems to be the only stance in support of a soul that makes sense.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 5:00:17 PM
I think we only have a brain and the body. The brain functions without a soul. Alternating the brain would alter your personality and memories. It depends on the definition of the soul. I'm not sure how souls would survive without the body however. Is the soul a part of the brain? Can it be removed from the brain? Think about removing your brain and putting it in somebody's head. It would still be "you" in another body. Your identity goes with your brain, not the body. Let's say that I use mind control to change your beliefs to make you an atheist. Do you still go to hell since your brain disobeys God? What about the soul? It seems that the soul is inseparable from the brain yet cannot be the brain.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 5:04:49 PM
For me, a soul is the energy that animates the body. Whether it stays in tact and continues forever is another question. I've struggled with this issue, but I've pretty much agreed that the body or "persona" is just a mask. We arent the body.

I think I need to study more Heidegger on the essence of being.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 5:25:29 PM
At 3/15/2010 5:04:49 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
For me, a soul is the energy that animates the body. Whether it stays in tact and continues forever is another question. I've struggled with this issue, but I've pretty much agreed that the body or "persona" is just a mask. We arent the body.

Is an individual soul on your view part of the universal consciousness? If soo wouldn't it technically be eternal if you believe the universe is eternal?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 5:26:07 PM

I think what your not quite grasping is that our consciousness is merely a product of chemical reactions within our brain. There's nothing mystical to it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 11:28:24 AM
At 3/15/2010 5:25:29 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Is an individual soul on your view part of the universal consciousness? If soo wouldn't it technically be eternal if you believe the universe is eternal?

Thanks for reminding me. :) That is correct.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 11:38:30 AM
At 3/15/2010 5:26:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I think what your not quite grasping is that our consciousness is merely a product of chemical reactions within our brain. There's nothing mystical to it.

Not true. Scienitific experiments prove that consciousness is not merely a function of the brain. Scientists (Nobel) have put a salamander through a maze and then diced the salamander's brain and put it back in his head and remembered the maze.

Also, memories cannot be pinpointed to any one brain cell. So how is consciousness a product of the brain?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 11:41:07 AM
At 3/16/2010 11:38:30 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Not true. Scienitific experiments prove that consciousness is not merely a function of the brain. Scientists (Nobel) have put a salamander through a maze and then diced the salamander's brain and put it back in his head and remembered the maze.

Link?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 11:50:05 AM
At 3/16/2010 11:41:07 AM, Immortal wrote:

Link?

Does it really take that much effort to google it?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 11:51:44 AM
I've got a lot of good info on this research, but I'm typing with my iPod so I can't post it right now. I'll do it when I get home.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 11:53:21 AM
At 3/16/2010 11:50:05 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 3/16/2010 11:41:07 AM, Immortal wrote:

Link?

Does it really take that much effort to google it?

No, but I can't find the link that has his claim.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 11:55:29 AM
@CodyFranklin

It's actually not that easy to find this research through Google. I'll try to post the best info I've found and post it later.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 12:14:11 PM
At 3/16/2010 11:55:29 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@CodyFranklin

It's actually not that easy to find this research through Google. I'll try to post the best info I've found and post it later.

How did you find the research then? O_O
nickthengineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 7:19:32 AM
At 3/15/2010 4:46:00 PM, FREEDO wrote:

What use would they be? My mind and body already take care of it's supposed job.

Even when I was a Christian I realized it didn't make much sense and changed my stance from thinking that a soul makes a person to that a person makes a soul; not like an engine running your consciousness but like a copy of yourself used for bringing you back in the after-life. That's seems to be the only stance in support of a soul that makes sense.

Are your mind and body going to remain with you in the afterlife? If you believe in some kind of afterlife, hence the need for a soul. You don't have to believe it's real in any way, but to answer your question, that is the use of souls.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
nickthengineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 7:27:16 AM
At 3/15/2010 4:46:00 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I think it was you who said before that you used to be a Christian but didn't like that there were so many questions about the Bible that you couldn't answer. Then you looked into evolution and decided to become an atheist/evolutionist or whatever exactly you call yourself. So I asked you the following question and I don't know if you ever answered it or not (I forgot what thread it was in).

When you looked into evolution, did you discover that you could answer EVERY question about it? If not, then why did you switch from being a Christian? I don't think it's possible for one person to know absolutely everything about the Bible or evolution, so I'm curious about what actually caused you to switch your beliefs. Peer pressure?
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 7:57:57 AM

You just make up more crap whenever you are bored don't you?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 8:03:04 AM
At 3/16/2010 12:14:11 PM, Immortal wrote:
At 3/16/2010 11:55:29 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@CodyFranklin

How did you find the research then? O_O

I think it's time for you to post the research.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 11:59:51 AM
Yes, I will post the research. I haven't been home very often.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 7:39:16 PM
Meh, I just googled it. It wasn't that hard to find. I think your guys' google-fu just sucks. :P

"Decades ago it was widely believed that memories were held in certain places in the brain; in fact, it was believed, that if you removed a portion of the brain you would/could remove an entire memory or memories. Biologist Paul Pietsch (Indiana University), in the 1960's, did studies on salamanders in an attempt to disprove the distributed nature of memories (as found in the Holographic model). Pietsch removed the brains of salamanders and while they were in a stupor without their brains (fantastic in and of itself) they returned to their normal behaviour when the brain was returned. Focusing his tests on analyzing the salamanders feeding behaviour, Pietsch decided that if this behaviour (of feeding) was in fact not confined to any certain portion of the brain (instead distributed, like a hologram) then it shouldn't matter how the brain was positioned in the head; the salamander should return to normal function. So, he set out once again, more focused, to disprove a holographic scenario. First he flip-flopped the brain and returned it to the salamander who quickly returned to its regular behaviour; he then turned it upside down with the same result. Then in a series of 700 operations he sliced, flipped, shuffled, subtracted and even minced the brains and still their behaviour normalized once it (what was left at least) was returned to the salamander! (Note: Accounts and further explanation can be found in Pietsch's book Shufflebrain.)"

http://www.meta-wealth.com...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 8:16:49 PM
Read brien wiess book on past life memory teropy find out how it helps you..!!
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 8:24:12 PM
Here's the requested research links:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

http://www.scribd.com...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 5:18:58 AM
At 3/17/2010 8:24:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I read the article. They did not dice up the salamnders brain and place it back into its body. They merely transplanted a brain from a different organism, a frog i believe, into the salamander.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 6:01:29 AM
At 3/18/2010 5:18:58 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 3/17/2010 8:24:12 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I read the article. They did not dice up the salamnders brain and place it back into its body. They merely transplanted a brain from a different organism, a frog i believe, into the salamander.

Yeah, they did. Look at the link I posted.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 8:27:06 AM
At 3/17/2010 8:16:49 PM, banker wrote:
Read brien wiess book on past life memory teropy find out how it helps you..!!

wut