Jump to topic:

Sex Scandals

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:44:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So even more sex scandals are emerging regarding Catholic priests. CNN notes that in the last decade, more than 3,000 priests have been accused (other sources list close to 5,000) and yet there was NO TRIAL in 60% of those cases. Church leaders say that's because of the "advanced age of the accused." Are you friggin serious?! Who cares what the church has to say? I thought the LAW was applicable to ALL and didn't discriminate based on age (except in cases of really young minors, though it should be noted that even 11 year olds are tried as adults in some cases). Instead of adhering to the law, the accused priests were subject to "administrative and disciplinary provisions" such as instructions not to celebrate Mass or hear confessions. Wow.

http://www.cnn.com...
President of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:47:24 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:44:37 PM, theLwerd wrote:
So even more sex scandals are emerging regarding Catholic priests. CNN notes that in the last decade, more than 3,000 priests have been accused (other sources list close to 5,000) and yet there was NO TRIAL in 60% of those cases. Church leaders say that's because of the "advanced age of the accused." Are you friggin serious?! Who cares what the church has to say? I thought the LAW was applicable to ALL and didn't discriminate based on age (except in cases of really young minors, though it should be noted that even 11 year olds are tried as adults in some cases). Instead of adhering to the law, the accused priests were subject to "administrative and disciplinary provisions" such as instructions not to celebrate Mass or hear confessions. Wow.

If "advanced age" didn't stop the accused from committing the crime, it shouldn't stop them from being prosecuted for it, too.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 8:06:36 PM
Sex scandals is too weak of a title for this topic. It is now called "Dirty Child Rapists that would Burn in the Depths of Hell for all Eternity if Hell Actually Existed."
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 8:19:41 PM
So even more sex scandals are emerging regarding Catholic priests. CNN notes that in the last decade, more than 3,000 priests have been accused (other sources list close to 5,000) and yet there was NO TRIAL in 60% of those cases. Church leaders say that's because of the "advanced age of the accused." Are you friggin serious?!

It could be that there wasn't enough evidence to bring the cases to trial in a lot of the cases.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
bkelley211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 11:45:39 PM
At 3/15/2010 8:19:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
So even more sex scandals are emerging regarding Catholic priests. CNN notes that in the last decade, more than 3,000 priests have been accused (other sources list close to 5,000) and yet there was NO TRIAL in 60% of those cases. Church leaders say that's because of the "advanced age of the accused." Are you friggin serious?!

It could be that there wasn't enough evidence to bring the cases to trial in a lot of the cases.

If that is the case, the article should clearly state that. There's a Vatican office in charge of investigating crimes the church considers most serious? How can these people not be subject to the same laws as everyone else?

Can people sue the church? Though this could be another thread, just curious. Is there precedent?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 11:58:49 PM
At 3/15/2010 11:45:39 PM, bkelley211 wrote:
At 3/15/2010 8:19:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

If that is the case, the article should clearly state that. There's a Vatican office in charge of investigating crimes the church considers most serious? How can these people not be subject to the same laws as everyone else?

Can people sue the church? Though this could be another thread, just curious. Is there precedent?

There's at least 1 class action I'm aware of.
nickthengineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 7:35:19 AM

I, nickthengineer, hearby accuse theLwerd of a sex scandal.

I also say that she is old.

If no trial comes from this, what does that prove? Nothing.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 7:49:54 AM
At 3/17/2010 7:35:19 AM, nickthengineer wrote:

I, nickthengineer, hearby accuse theLwerd of a sex scandal.

I also say that she is old.

If no trial comes from this, what does that prove? Nothing.

You are a complete idiot you really are!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.