Jump to topic:

Revelation

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:18:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
According to the first three verses of that book, everything that followed would SOON come to pass.

Is there any record anywhere that any of it ever occurred 2000yrs ago or since?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
irreverent_god
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:20:16 AM
At 8/29/2014 8:18:32 AM, bulproof wrote:
According to the first three verses of that book, everything that followed would SOON come to pass.

You might ask one of the "experts" in biblical prophecy. See if any of them can agree...
Logic and Reason are the precursor to Justice.
Faith and zealotry are the precursor to Folly.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:32:12 AM
At 8/29/2014 8:20:16 AM, irreverent_god wrote:

You might ask one of the "experts" in biblical prophecy. See if any of them can agree...

IG I think you just want to create confusion, am I right? LOL
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:39:32 AM

No man understands the book of Revelation. Only God knows what He had His saints write for Him. But He did choose a few righteous people in Him to learn who they are but only if they listen to His voice and obey His commandments.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 9:05:26 AM
I understand the Book of Revelations. Example: "Then I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name. Now the beast I saw was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. And the dragon gave him his power, his throne, and great authority. I saw one of his heads as it had been mortally wounded, and his deadly wound was healed. And all the world marveled and followed the beast." Rev 13: 1-3

The beast is the original icon of Yamm who was the original Yahweh (there is a Canaanite cuniform text showing EL changing Yamm's name to Yahwe). Yamm was a sea and river god. His icon was the same one as that of Tiamat, the feminine version of the seven-headed sea monster referred to also in Isaiah some place I forget where. The seven heads represented the Seven Planetary Rulers in the ancient world cosmology system, Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, the planets visible to the naked eye. The head that is "mortally wounded" and healed is the Moon with its phases going from full to new moon.

The author of Revelation dips into several ancient Near Eastern astrologically based religious symbolic systems and each verse can be interpreted through these ancient icons but our knowledge of them is incomplete now so Revelation looks utterly strange to us.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 9:07:37 AM
Of course phony Gentile prophets wouldn't be able to understand them, relying as some do on their mental voices in their heads without checking to see if reality agreed at any point.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 10:49:27 AM

Please I beg of you, ignore Celestialtorah... It just feeds the fire.

If I may pose my own understanding here, I would say that time is relative to he who observes it. William Lane Craig has written two books on how there are to proposed "versions" of time- A and B. They are well worth a read, even for a non-christian who wants to learn two different understandings of how time works. But in any event, I am losing myself to myself.
If you are a 30-year-old man, then your definition of "soon" is considerably different than the definition given by a 5-year-old (Parents will agree). So, take an eternal being now. How far away is "soon" for someone who is eternal? Well, I would argue that it is very much further than that of a 30-year-old man. It could be 4,000 years, it could be 10,000,000 years.

I hope this answers your question, Bulproof, and Irreverant_god's rebuke as well.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 10:55:32 AM
At 8/30/2014 10:49:27 AM, Arasa wrote:

If I may pose my own understanding here, I would say that time is relative to he who observes it. William Lane Craig has written two books on how there are to proposed "versions" of time- A and B. They are well worth a read, even for a non-christian who wants to learn two different understandings of how time works. But in any event, I am losing myself to myself.
If you are a 30-year-old man, then your definition of "soon" is considerably different than the definition given by a 5-year-old (Parents will agree). So, take an eternal being now. How far away is "soon" for someone who is eternal? Well, I would argue that it is very much further than that of a 30-year-old man. It could be 4,000 years, it could be 10,000,000 years.

I hope this answers your question, Bulproof, and Irreverant_god's rebuke as well.

It's the usual rubbish and no it doesn't change the meaning of SOON and it doesn't explain why these events didn't happen 2000yrs ago, or since. But keep believing it if it gives you a warm and fuzzy.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 10:58:27 AM
At 8/30/2014 10:55:32 AM, bulproof wrote:

It's the usual rubbish and no it doesn't change the meaning of SOON and it doesn't explain why these events didn't happen 2000yrs ago, or since. But keep believing it if it gives you a warm and fuzzy.

Of course it does not change the meaning of the word "Soon". Because "Soon" is relative to the person who declares it. I am stating that the word "soon" has no definitive time span. If you'd like to defy that remark, then find the exact measurement of time that equals "Soon".

Now, as for why it hasn't happened already, I would say that it is because "Soon" has not arrived yet. Again, the word "Soon" is relative to the speaker.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:15:59 AM
At 8/30/2014 10:58:27 AM, Arasa wrote:

Of course it does not change the meaning of the word "Soon". Because "Soon" is relative to the person who declares it. I am stating that the word "soon" has no definitive time span. If you'd like to defy that remark, then find the exact measurement of time that equals "Soon".

Now, as for why it hasn't happened already, I would say that it is because "Soon" has not arrived yet. Again, the word "Soon" is relative to the speaker.

soon=30000yrs.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:34:07 AM
At 8/30/2014 11:15:59 AM, bulproof wrote:

soon=30000yrs.

Provide citation and accurate source for the definitiveness of "Soon" as a definite time-span. Because I have just done a simple google search, and it seems to agree with me that it is an "Open-ended" measure of time.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:40:38 AM
At 8/30/2014 11:34:07 AM, Arasa wrote:

soon=30000yrs.

Provide citation and accurate source for the definitiveness of "Soon" as a definite time-span. Because I have just done a simple google search, and it seems to agree with me that it is an "Open-ended" measure of time.

So a billion yrs would be acceptable to you as being meaningful for the word.
Just so you know words are used by humans and have meaning for those humans.
So you would be happy to lend me a million dollars on my promise of repaying you soon? Because to you soon can quite easily mean a billion years, yes?
Dr_Obvious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:45:38 AM

I'm 49, and time is passing by at break neck speed. Seems like the past 20 years went by in a blur.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:57:57 AM

Let me ask you this: when you are in Heaven and a billion years has passed for you, wouldn't two thousand years be about the equivalent of a few days away?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:59:30 AM
At 8/30/2014 11:57:57 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Let me ask you this: when you are in Heaven and a billion years has passed for you, wouldn't two thousand years be about the equivalent of a few days away?

I'll answer soon.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 12:03:17 PM
At 8/30/2014 11:59:30 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/30/2014 11:57:57 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

I'll answer soon.

You're not a Heavenly Being.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 1:18:24 PM
At 8/30/2014 11:40:38 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/30/2014 11:34:07 AM, Arasa wrote:

soon=30000yrs.

So a billion yrs would be acceptable to you as being meaningful for the word.
Just so you know words are used by humans and have meaning for those humans.
So you would be happy to lend me a million dollars on my promise of repaying you soon? Because to you soon can quite easily mean a billion years, yes?

Yes, because "Soon" is an open-ended measure of time. It does not specify any precise amount of time, as it is relative to the speaker.

Now, I have provided my answer of semantics, and I have not heard you refute it as of yet. I would do so soon, lest someone watching thinks that you have no argument to present in opposition.

Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 1:22:09 PM
At 8/30/2014 11:45:38 AM, Dr_Obvious wrote:

I'm 49, and time is passing by at break neck speed. Seems like the past 20 years went by in a blur.

Comical, but I can't tell if this is a refutation or a supporting statement to my point.
Dr_Obvious
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 1:26:14 PM
At 8/30/2014 1:22:09 PM, Arasa wrote:

Comical, but I can't tell if this is a refutation or a supporting statement to my point.

Just an observation. I remember the endless summer days of my youth. Now, if I blink, I miss something. I've had entire weeks go by so fast, my head spins. Some days, it seems like my life is in fast forward, and the damn button is stuck.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 1:42:46 PM
At 8/30/2014 1:26:14 PM, Dr_Obvious wrote:
At 8/30/2014 1:22:09 PM, Arasa wrote:

Just an observation. I remember the endless summer days of my youth. Now, if I blink, I miss something. I've had entire weeks go by so fast, my head spins. Some days, it seems like my life is in fast forward, and the damn button is stuck.

I can attest to that, my friend. So, "Soon" for those who have already experienced quite a bit of life, means much more than those who have not

LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 7:46:10 PM

2000 years is soon compared to eternity. The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, but is longsuffering toward us, no willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:36:35 PM

"I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!" Luke 12:49

"Jesus said, 'I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am guarding it until it blazes." Gospel of Thomas

"Jesus said, 'He who is near Me is near the fire, and he who is far from Me is far from the Kingdom." Gospel of Thomas

August puffed up Rasa, Debates' A-No. 1 phony egotist Bible Authority who can't stand someone knowing far more than he about the religion he is an outsider to its spiritual core belief system because of foolishly following the errors of other Gentile no-nothings about Jewish religious roots.
Keltron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:37:48 PM
So, "soon" is an indefinite period of time? I wonder what other words in the Bible, like "generation" don't mean what they mean. Under that standard you could make the Bible mean anything. That provides for an infinite amount of wiggle room. Ah, I think I understand now.
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:44:02 PM
And no, boringofgod, "fire" doesn't mean lava. Fire was the ancient's symbol for Truth and Justice. Trial by fire symbolized the testing of anything, putting it to the test of performing under fire. Even Hell, is of this same symbolic language code which is why hell isn't real, it's symbolic of judgment of the worth of one's life, a place where judgment happens eternally in the negative for those who don't obey the rules, rules created by men.
Keltron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 9:58:57 PM
At 8/31/2014 9:44:02 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:
And no, boringofgod, "fire" doesn't mean lava. Fire was the ancient's symbol for Truth and Justice. Trial by fire symbolized the testing of anything, putting it to the test of performing under fire. Even Hell, is of this same symbolic language code which is why hell isn't real, it's symbolic of judgment of the worth of one's life, a place where judgment happens eternally in the negative for those who don't obey the rules, rules created by men.

Hell comes from a word that refers to a garbage dump where refuse is either burned, or allowed to naturally decompose. In the process things are broken down into their constituent elements and lose their identity as a particular "thing." This is what hell is: the total loss of identity.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 11:03:27 PM
At 8/31/2014 9:37:48 PM, Keltron wrote:
So, "soon" is an indefinite period of time? I wonder what other words in the Bible, like "generation" don't mean what they mean. Under that standard you could make the Bible mean anything. That provides for an infinite amount of wiggle room. Ah, I think I understand now.

It means "soon" ... and has to mean "soon" because it says "shortly come to pass" because "the time is at hand." It doesn't mean any one, two or three thousand years.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 11:20:07 PM
At 8/31/2014 11:03:27 PM, annanicole wrote:

It means "soon" ... and has to mean "soon" because it says "shortly come to pass" because "the time is at hand." It doesn't mean any one, two or three thousand years.

On this we agree.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 1:59:28 AM
At 8/31/2014 11:20:07 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 8/31/2014 11:03:27 PM, annanicole wrote:

On this we agree.

... and the reason is that (most) apocalyptic literature contains an explanatory prologue written in the most literal language possible. It sets the stage, else the readers could make it mean most anything. Sometimes the prologue is only a sentence long; sometimes, it's a paragraph or two. In the case of Revelation, it would be about a paragraph.

Actually, the Apocalypse would be an excellent evidence in favor of Christianity, if Christians themselves did not make such a mess out of it. As it stands with most "Christians", it is merely proof of a wild imagination.

Anyway, any argument about, "Well, 'soon' might mean different things in the eyes of God" is about worthless as it gets.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 8:47:53 AM
At 8/31/2014 9:44:02 PM, celestialtorahteacher wrote:

Christians have no idea what the fire of God means. They twist everything they read in the prophecies because they are not men of God ( saints ) who are taught directly by our Creator what the prophecies mean.

Hot molten lava will pour out from inside the earth just after the earth begins to shake violently. This molten lava will melt the crust of the earth into a lake of fire and make the earth desolate until God's dream includes new illusions ( new generation, also known as the New Heaven and Earth ) for us to experience life with.

Isaiah 24
18: He who flees at the sound of the terror shall fall into the pit; and he who climbs out of the pit shall be caught in the snare. For the windows of heaven are opened, and the foundations of the earth tremble.
19: The earth is utterly broken, the earth is rent asunder, the earth is violently shaken.
20: The earth staggers like a drunken man, it sways like a hut; its transgression lies heavy upon it, and it falls, and will not rise again.

Ezekiel 38
19: For in my jealousy and in my blazing wrath I declare, On that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel;
20: the fish of the sea, and the birds of the air, and the beasts of the field, and all creeping things that creep on the ground, and all the men that are upon the face of the earth, shall quake at my presence, and the mountains shall be thrown down, and the cliffs shall fall, and every wall shall tumble to the ground.

2 Peter 3
10: But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.
13: But according to his promise we wait for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Matthew 5
18: For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.

Revelation 21
1: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
8: But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death."

Isaiah 66
15: "For behold, the LORD will come in fire, and his chariots like the storm
wind, to render his anger in fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
16: For by fire will the LORD execute judgment, and by his sword, upon all flesh; and those slain by the LORD shall be many.

Ezekiel 15
6: Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Like the wood of the vine among the trees of the forest, which I have given to the fire for fuel, so will I give up the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
7: And I will set my face against them; though they escape from the fire, the fire shall yet consume them; and you will know that I am the LORD, when I set my face against them.
8: And I will make the land desolate, because they have acted faithlessly, says the Lord GOD."

Ezekiel 21
31: And I will pour out my indignation upon you; I will blow upon you with the fire of my wrath; and I will deliver you into the hands of brutal men, skilful to destroy.
32: You shall be fuel for the fire; your blood shall be in the midst of the land; you shall be no more remembered; for I the LORD have spoken."

Micah 1
3: For behold, the LORD is coming forth out of his place, and will come down and tread upon the high places of the earth.
4: And the mountains will melt under him and the valleys will be cleft, like wax before the fire, like waters poured down a steep place.

Nahum 1
4: He rebukes the sea and makes it dry, he dries up all the rivers; Bashan and Carmel wither, the bloom of Lebanon fades.
5: The mountains quake before him, the hills melt; the earth is laid waste before him, the world and all that dwell therein.

Ezekiel 22
19: Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Because you have all become dross, therefore, behold, I will gather you into the midst of Jerusalem.
20: As men gather silver and bronze and iron and lead and tin into a furnace, to blow the fire upon it in order to melt it; so I will gather you in my anger and in my wrath, and I will put you in and melt you.
21: I will gather you and blow upon you with the fire of my wrath, and you shall be melted in the midst of it.
22: As silver is melted in a furnace, so you shall be melted in the midst of it; and you shall know that I the LORD have poured out my wrath upon you."

Amos 9
5: The Lord, GOD of hosts, he who touches the earth and it melts, and all who dwell in it mourn, and all of it rises like the Nile, and sinks again, like the Nile of Egypt;

Jeremiah 4
22: "For my people are foolish, they know me not; they are stupid children, they have no understanding. They are skilled in doing evil, but how to do good they know not."
23: I looked on the earth, and lo, it was waste and void; and to the heaven, and they had no light.
24: I looked on the mountains, and lo, they were quaking, and all the hills moved to and fro.
25: I looked, and lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the air had fled.
26: I looked, and lo, the fruitful land was a desert, and all its cities were laid in ruins before the LORD, before his fierce anger.
27: For thus says the LORD, "The whole land shall be a desolation; yet I will not make a full end.

Ecclesiastes 1
4: A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains for ever.

In the next generation of God's people, we will never know death or destruction again.