LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 5:49:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 5:37:20 PM, NiamC wrote:
I wanna hear people's opinions.

It should be renamed "Westboro Baptist Cult".
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Kerfluffer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 6:32:27 PM
The WBC is only a small church and not an accurate representation of Christianity or religion in general. They don't just hate on gay people, they also hate pretty much every other Christian as well.
KafkaF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 6:43:17 PM

An extremist hate group that doesn't posses a shred of rationality.

Though, as a poster above me said, they should certainly not be taken as representatives of Christianity in general. Although Christianity has it's own fair share of problems IMO, in general it isn't nearly as bad as the WBC.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 6:59:22 PM

A good example of dogma out of control...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 7:04:40 PM

Bunch of lawyers being idiots so they can sue people and get money to spread their insane ideology.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 7:17:51 PM
In my opinion, they take their religion to the extreme. They picket funerals, hate homosexuals, and I think they hate America.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 7:41:13 PM

Free entertainment
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 7:43:06 PM

They are not Christians, but people who use the Bible as an indirect motive to mock and hate homosexuals. It's very easy to do that than to simply kill them. They preach that God hates homosexuals when John 3:16 clearly says that God loves the world.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 8:29:26 PM

They are clowns. I saw that tard, Shirley Phelps, trying to debate on YouTube, and the idiot didn't even know that some of Ephesians were baptized twice. Didn't have a clue.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
BradK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 9:13:26 PM
At 8/29/2014 7:43:06 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

They are not Christians, but people who use the Bible as an indirect motive to mock and hate homosexuals. It's very easy to do that than to simply kill them. They preach that God hates homosexuals when John 3:16 clearly says that God loves the world.

you know as well as anyone else though that there are bible verses that support what the WBC believes about homosexuals.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 9:14:47 PM
At 8/29/2014 9:13:26 PM, BradK wrote:

you know as well as anyone else though that there are bible verses that support what the WBC believes about homosexuals.

I rather doubt that.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
BradK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 9:19:38 PM
At 8/29/2014 9:14:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

I rather doubt that.

leviticus 20:13

"12If there is a man who lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death; they have committed incest, their bloodguiltiness is upon them. 13If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them. 14If there is a man who marries a woman and her mother, it is immorality; both he and they shall be burned with fire, so that there will be no immorality in your midst.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 9:57:14 PM
At 8/29/2014 9:19:38 PM, BradK wrote:
At 8/29/2014 9:14:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

I rather doubt that.

leviticus 20:13

"12If there is a man who lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death; they have committed incest, their bloodguiltiness is upon them. 13If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them. 14If there is a man who marries a woman and her mother, it is immorality; both he and they shall be burned with fire, so that there will be no immorality in your midst.

Why, there are passages scattered throughout the OT, the Old Law, to that effect, whether regarding to homosexuality or other things. That Law was plainly and explicitly stated to be "flawed" ... "faulty" ... and indeed it was.

I thought you meant that the NT, the New Covenant, taught it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 2:02:16 AM

They seem as christian as some of the alleged christians on here.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 12:51:00 PM
At 8/30/2014 2:02:16 AM, bulproof wrote:

They seem as christian as some of the alleged christians on here.

aye
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:05:32 PM

They are as Christian as any other hateful Christians who believe their own interpretation of what evil is in this world. They have no idea why God planted the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" for within His mind to deceive His people from the "tree of life", also known as the Truth.

Genesis 3
23: therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he was taken.
24: He drove out the man; and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

The cherubim and flaming sword is another symbolic term like the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is.
fireinthekitchen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:27:53 PM
My interpretation of all religious writings including The Bible are that they are supposedly the word of the creator (In this case "God") interpreted by someone who felt qualified to communicate the creators message. Whether or not they actually were in direct communication with the source and did a decent job of passing along the message is anybody's guess. Religious texts are often ambiguous and as easy to interpret as tea leaves. As an individual it is up to you whether you accept the message that is being passed as an acceptable contribution to your moral compass. The Westborough Baptist Church appear to be a bunch of attention seeking, narrow minded angry people who are more concerned with courting the press than improving the world they live in. If "God" created this world then no matter what name you call him it is up to you to either create heaven or hell based on your actions right now, here, today. Westborough will have to live with the lot that they have brought onto themselves. If I wanted to take a giant leap into "hell" Westborough's door would be the first I would knock on.
Cookingwitfire
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:35:42 PM
At 8/31/2014 5:27:53 PM, fireinthekitchen wrote:
My interpretation of all religious writings including The Bible are that they are supposedly the word of the creator (In this case "God") interpreted by someone who felt qualified to communicate the creators message. Whether or not they actually were in direct communication with the source and did a decent job of passing along the message is anybody's guess. Religious texts are often ambiguous and as easy to interpret as tea leaves. As an individual it is up to you whether you accept the message that is being passed as an acceptable contribution to your moral compass. The Westborough Baptist Church appear to be a bunch of attention seeking, narrow minded angry people who are more concerned with courting the press than improving the world they live in. If "God" created this world then no matter what name you call him it is up to you to either create heaven or hell based on your actions right now, here, today. Westborough will have to live with the lot that they have brought onto themselves. If I wanted to take a giant leap into "hell" Westborough's door would be the first I would knock on.

The Bible was produced by men who had no clue who our invisible Creator was. They stole the writings and spoken testimonies of the prophets and saints and added all their religious ideas from the beast, then produced the Bible to please themselves and make a lot of money and wealth from it.

The original writings of the prophets and saints are not available but the true Word of God that is having me write this post still exists and is the only thing that will remain after this world is destroyed. The Word of God is the kingdom which shall never be destroyed that can be found in the following prophecy. All the religions of this world will be destroyed by the invisible Word of God.

Daniel 2
44: And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed, nor shall its sovereignty be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand for ever;
45: just as you saw that a stone was cut from a mountain by no human hand, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold. A great God has made known to the king what shall be hereafter. The dream is certain, and its interpretation sure."
Keltron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:14:05 PM
Well, it just goes to show that everyone is good for something, even if it's just to be bad example.
NathanDuclos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 8:20:29 PM
Niamc

Thanks, for asking an interesting question. I am assuming, and correct me if I am wrong, what I think of the WBC in what they believe, how they act and there offensive nature. For background, to see where I am coming from I am a single father, straight, atheist, an believe in equal rights, marriage equality and fully support rational education, I"m so far left that I should be dating Elizabeth Warren.

I think that the WBC is the most honest group of individuals and as close to being True Christian followers of the bible as you can get without going to jail. God hates gays, a lot. He deems women inferior. He"s ok with slavery and murder and incest and war crimes. The god of the old and new testament is as close to pure hypocritical evil as you can be. AND the WBC is as honest as you can get is acknowledging that and holding up everything that god specifically hates, loves and they preach what the bible clearly says.

It is refreshing to see a true Christian church and that people are horribly offended by its absolutely horrific ethics and irrationality. I am sadden that many do not see that the basis for their belief is the same as these individuals.

NDuclos
fireinthekitchen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 10:46:15 AM
At 8/31/2014 5:35:42 PM, bornofgod wrote:

The Bible was produced by men who had no clue who our invisible Creator was. They stole the writings and spoken testimonies of the prophets and saints and added all their religious ideas from the beast, then produced the Bible to please themselves and make a lot of money and wealth from it.

The original writings of the prophets and saints are not available but the true Word of God that is having me write this post still exists and is the only thing that will remain after this world is destroyed. The Word of God is the kingdom which shall never be destroyed that can be found in the following prophecy. All the religions of this world will be destroyed by the invisible Word of God.

Daniel 2
44: And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed, nor shall its sovereignty be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand for ever;
45: just as you saw that a stone was cut from a mountain by no human hand, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold. A great God has made known to the king what shall be hereafter. The dream is certain, and its interpretation sure."
Nice words but I have always thought that an individual who truly channelled the word of God would spend more time trying to actually turn up the "Good" and turn down the "Suck" through action designed to help their neighbor. So far you are just trying to sell yourself to anyone who will listen. That doesn't impress me much. In fact it has become rather clich" of most radical idealists. If you want to attract followers then sell them on the merit of your ideas rather than just "My way is the best" All religious radicals hang on to that one. It's getting old
Cookingwitfire
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 11:54:01 AM
At 9/1/2014 10:46:15 AM, fireinthekitchen wrote:

Daniel 2
Nice words but I have always thought that an individual who truly channelled the word of God would spend more time trying to actually turn up the "Good" and turn down the "Suck" through action designed to help their neighbor. So far you are just trying to sell yourself to anyone who will listen. That doesn't impress me much. In fact it has become rather clich" of most radical idealists. If you want to attract followers then sell them on the merit of your ideas rather than just "My way is the best" All religious radicals hang on to that one. It's getting old

Since you believe in good and evil, you are greatly deceived by these illusions. If you listen to the voice of God, He will teach you why He put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in man's world.
fireinthekitchen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 12:13:05 PM
At 9/1/2014 11:54:01 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Daniel 2

Since you believe in good and evil, you are greatly deceived by these illusions. If you listen to the voice of God, He will teach you why He put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in man's world.
Or maybe it is you that are greatly deceived. I quote "You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows" People do a lot of bad things with good intention. Christians justified enslaving the African's because their souls would be "saved" in the process. The Spanish Conquistadors sent diseased blankets down the Amazon and killed an entire civilization in the name of God. I could go on with more examples that cut at the roots of your tree of good and evil. Just now you referred to the tree of good and evil in "Man's world" Tell me, does God give preferential treatment to men over women? Sounds to me like you may want to read a book or two other than just the bible
Cookingwitfire
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 4:29:51 PM
At 9/1/2014 12:13:05 PM, fireinthekitchen wrote:
At 9/1/2014 11:54:01 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Daniel 2

Or maybe it is you that are greatly deceived. I quote "You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows" People do a lot of bad things with good intention. Christians justified enslaving the African's because their souls would be "saved" in the process. The Spanish Conquistadors sent diseased blankets down the Amazon and killed an entire civilization in the name of God. I could go on with more examples that cut at the roots of your tree of good and evil. Just now you referred to the tree of good and evil in "Man's world" Tell me, does God give preferential treatment to men over women? Sounds to me like you may want to read a book or two other than just the bible

God only used the prophecies to teach me a few things about the future. Otherwise, the knowledge that I possess within the mind of our Creator lets me know the past, present and future and how we were created. The Bible can't teach these things.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 5:43:04 PM
Concidering that I live in Topeka, KS, their HQ, I think my opinion is the most valid. I find them to be an interesting group going about things, but are doing it wrong. I know that the Bible is against Gay Marriage and that the Phelps have had bad expierences with homosexuals, but they do not need to be publically attacking people for it. They do not need to be attacking the Troops and tragedies. Their cause was originally justifiable, but then they turned into attention whores and started supporting all of these crazy things and just trying to p*ss everyone off.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 12:53:23 AM

They're the only Christians with the balls to say what the rest of Christianity is thinking.