Jump to topic:

Why do atheists hate God?

josht
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 7:01:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have read through these forums a little and noticed that a large number of threads are dedicated to proving that God is immoral and evil and these threads were always made by atheists. I dont understand what atheists have so much against God if it wasnt for him none of us would have existed and there is plenty of evidence for that. He destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because they were extreme sinners and a new order had to be installed. Also if atheists dont even believe in God how can they prove that he is evil? It doesnt make any sense.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 7:14:18 AM
At 8/30/2014 7:01:38 AM, josht wrote:
I have read through these forums a little and noticed that a large number of threads are dedicated to proving that God is immoral and evil and these threads were always made by atheists. I dont understand what atheists have so much against God if it wasnt for him none of us would have existed and there is plenty of evidence for that. He destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because they were extreme sinners and a new order had to be installed. Also if atheists dont even believe in God how can they prove that he is evil? It doesnt make any sense.

I see you are 43. I'm not sure that I need to point this out to you but ...

Since atheists don't believe god exists, we don't hate him. You cant't hate a non-existent being.

When we argue about attributes or behaviours of god, we are always doing it with the implicit proviso "if god exists". We argue against the beliefs of theists (their conception of god) not against god himself.
Ash_RationalTheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 7:17:29 AM
Hey! Atheists are only against the Semitic God, not God in general.
If atheism be associated with modern scientists, then scientists like Einstein only objected to the Biblical God. They could not explore the Eastern philosophy ( like Vedic) . But whatever views Einstein suggested for God was very much in lines of Vedas " an impartial God who does not change his laws and meddle with our personal lives.
Keepin' It Real!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 7:40:45 AM

Why do you HATE Quetzalcoatl?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 10:32:20 AM
At 8/30/2014 7:40:45 AM, bulproof wrote:

I have always disliked when people answer a question with another question, Bulproof. Answer the question with a statement, and then ask your question afterwards. This is how intelligent conversation takes place.

I promise that I am not singling you out today, it just seems like you have gone a tad unchallenged since I left.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 10:33:41 AM
At 8/30/2014 10:32:20 AM, Arasa wrote:

I have always disliked when people answer a question with another question, Bulproof. Answer the question with a statement, and then ask your question afterwards. This is how intelligent conversation takes place.

I promise that I am not singling you out today, it just seems like you have gone a tad unchallenged since I left.

I don't hate your god. Now answer my question. Too tough for you?
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 10:36:13 AM
At 8/30/2014 10:33:41 AM, bulproof wrote:

Such open hostility... What has happened on these forums since I left?

Alright, I do not hate Quetzalcoatl. I was not objecting the point you were trying to make, but I was reminding you of how to conduct yourself so as to live up to the ethos of an enlightened atheist.

Carry on...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:19:25 AM
At 8/30/2014 10:36:13 AM, Arasa wrote:

Such open hostility... What has happened on these forums since I left?

Alright, I do not hate Quetzalcoatl. I was not objecting the point you were trying to make, but I was reminding you of how to conduct yourself so as to live up to the ethos of an enlightened atheist.

Carry on...

For your enlightenment, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in gods.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:28:28 AM

It's a disagreement with the character of God. If one can see reason to hate Hitler, one can certainly (and far more easily), find reason to hate a fictional character said to have killed millions - often indiscriminately, belittled women, promoted rape, slavery, genocide, infanticide and using human lives as bargaining chips.

The better question is; how can a Christian consider themselves to be a decent person worthy of living freely in society when they idolize and worship such a barbaric, hideous character?

To correct your thread title; only a theist can hate God. Atheists hate the character of God, realizing it to be fictional.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 12:20:01 PM

Blatantly false, as your comments have shown time and time again.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 12:21:12 PM
At 8/30/2014 12:20:01 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Idiot.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 12:27:43 PM
At 8/30/2014 12:21:12 PM, bulproof wrote:

I am an Idiot.

I'm glad we agree.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 12:31:13 PM
At 8/30/2014 12:27:43 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

I am an Idiot.

I'm glad we agree.

The dishonesty of the christian writ large.

Well done.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 1:08:20 PM
At 8/30/2014 12:31:13 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/30/2014 12:27:43 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

I am an Idiot.

I'm glad we agree.

You have proven me wrong because I am an Idiot.

Well done.

Thank you.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:13:27 PM
At 8/30/2014 7:17:29 AM, Ash_RationalTheist wrote:
If atheism be associated with modern scientists, then scientists like Einstein only objected to the Biblical God. They could not explore the Eastern philosophy ( like Vedic) . But whatever views Einstein suggested for God was very much in lines of Vedas " an impartial God who does not change his laws and meddle with our personal lives.

Your gods don't exist as much as all the other gods don't, so atheists don't hate yours either.
Ash_RationalTheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:26:33 PM
At 8/30/2014 11:13:27 PM, bulproof wrote:

Your gods don't exist as much as all the other gods don't, so atheists don't hate yours either.
Proof?
Keepin' It Real!
Keltron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:59:34 PM

Have you read the OT? Seriously, that god is sadist and a war monger, at least in the pre-exhillic part. In my opinion there are three different conceptions of God in the OT: God the badass war god, God the punisher of Israel's sin, and God the merciful and just. Golden Rule God, if you will. The NT puts the first two to bed, IMO, but we still see the war God invoked in times of strife, and before football games. The second version is referenced in the "we're all worthless sinners" propaganda. I prefer God number three. The God of Mercy, Love and Justice. Even an atheist can get behind that kind of conception.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 12:11:17 AM
At 8/30/2014 11:26:33 PM, Ash_RationalTheist wrote:
At 8/30/2014 11:13:27 PM, bulproof wrote:

Proof?
Look around you, everything you see is proof.
Ash_RationalTheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 4:32:37 AM
Proof?
Look around you, everything you see is proof.
I say the same unto you, unless you forcefully try you can't deny God. Now since you want to stay Godless, he allows you to respecting your free will...

Also, its too early to deny only after reading the Bible which is too preliminary for spiritual practice..Read Vedas, 12 Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita...
Don't just try to cop-out, Give God a chance!

If you don't wanna read all them atleast read this one...God's Illusion Machine

http://books.google.co.in...'s%20Illusion%20Machine&f=false

I'm pretty sure it'll fix your faulty conscience
Keepin' It Real!
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:19:22 AM
I have read through these forums a little and noticed that a large number of threads are dedicated to proving that God is immoral and evil

..perhaps you should read through the Bible and note that a large number of its books are dedicated to exactly the same thing.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire