Jump to topic:

Honest Questions for a Christian?

Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:15:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello everyone, I am back once again to attempt to answer any honest questions that you might have about what Christianity believes. Now, as numerous people will point out, I obviously cannot represent all of the 14,000 denominations of protestantism when it comes to matters of secondary importance, but I can most certainly answer the majority of questions that you might have, and with answers that very very few Christians here would have a problem with.

That being said, ask your questions and I shall answer politely. At the first mention of a swear word or a rude name, I shall typically give a warning, but I do not want it to overwhelm this feed...

Now, let's see what I can help you with...

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 12:17:30 PM
At 8/30/2014 11:15:13 AM, Arasa wrote:
Hello everyone, I am back once again to attempt to answer any honest questions that you might have about what Christianity believes. Now, as numerous people will point out, I obviously cannot represent all of the 14,000 denominations of protestantism when it comes to matters of secondary importance, but I can most certainly answer the majority of questions that you might have, and with answers that very very few Christians here would have a problem with.

That being said, ask your questions and I shall answer politely. At the first mention of a swear word or a rude name, I shall typically give a warning, but I do not want it to overwhelm this feed...

Was Noah's Flood literal? Were Adam and Eve real people? Is man inherently sinful? Is homosexuality a sin?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 1:41:42 PM
At 8/30/2014 12:17:30 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

Was Noah's Flood literal? Were Adam and Eve real people? Is man inherently sinful? Is homosexuality a sin?

Four good questions!

1. The flood.
The flood has been widely accepted as literal. Not to say that this is the last word on the conversation, but I will say that the fact that nearly every single recorded culture mentions a "Great Flood" of some sort does seem to point towards a commonality- an original flood. Now, that is easily enough to refute, all one has to do is come up with a coherent theory for why that is. So, I'm going to have to focus on the specifics of the flood. Was the flood global, or just regional? Well, that is heavily debated, even among the theologians. If the purpose of the flood was to wipe out all human wickedness, then why flood the areas that had no human life in it? That is the major point by those who support the regional flood. The supporters of a global flood would focus on that "All life on earth" should be taken literally, and so wherever there was life- even animal and microbial life, would be flooded over.
Which of the two is correct? I cannot say with 100% certainty either way. But, the recent discovery of what archaeologists believe to be Noah's Ark in the mountains that were formerly known as Aararat, certainly helps the notion if it is confirmed. I would watch the development of that.

2. Were Adam and Eve real people?
Well, I suppose that the only way to know this would be to follow the lineage. Find the earliest confirmed life (Or start at the most well-known: King David) found in the lineage from Christ to Adam, and work backwards. Was Jesse a real man? Was Obed a real man? Was Dan a real man? And so you work backwards until you find the unconfirmed people. For the unconfirmed lives, you then have to explain the actual paternity of the confirmed case (I.e. To confirm that David was not the father of Solomon, you then have to find evidence that points to Solomon's actual father).
If you work backwards you'll find that confirmation goes all the way to around Methuselah's lifetime. That's where the lineage gets controversy, as it has not been seen today the number of years that Methuselah was said to have lived.

3. Is mankind inherently sinful?
If you believe in God, then you must believe in objective morals. If one believes in the objectivity of morals (That is, they do not change, and existed before humanity), then you have to believe that mankind has the capability to do both. Our "Sinful nature" is the ability to do what is evil. The intensity of our sinful nature would be how susceptible we are to giving into these evil things.
Now, if you do not believe in God, and do not believe in objective morals (Which, it is worth noting that it is possible to believe in Objective morals without believing in God. For more information, Christopher Hitchens was a major proponent in that), then evil does not exist uniformly. That which is evil to you, might not be evil to me, and so something cannot be called evil independent of a majority vote. In that aspect, there is no sinful nature in man, only the difference in opinion of how a society should act.

4. Is Homosexuality a sin?
I would say that in a perfect world, it would not have existed. If sin had not entered into the world, homosexuality would not exist. Now, that does not mean that homosexuality is inherently evil, but it does mean that it is a product of sin entering the world. It is important to make that distinction.
Now it is worth noting here that just because it is a sin, does not necessarily mean that you will go to Hell for engaging in it. It is a sin like all of the others. The only sin that takes the highest of precedence is rejecting God. All below that are relatively equal, and so to say that homosexuals are going to hell simply for being homosexuals is the same as saying that liars are going to hell simply for being liars.
We all deserve hell for our sins, but the purpose of Christ coming into the world was to take on that debt of sin.

I hope I was able to answer your questions accurately. If I have misrepresented Christianity in any way, I am certain that I will be made aware of it...

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 3:27:18 PM
At 8/30/2014 12:17:30 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

1. Hard to say, but most likely a good introduction to disasters if it was a parable.

2. I think that there was a couple who inspired the Adam and Eve story of Genesis, but like reasonable people, I believe this is also a parable explaining society.

3. I don't know what inherently means, but I believe that we sometimes choose wrong things even if we know things are wrong. (Such as stealing a ten dollar bill, even though we know it ain't ours and somebody could be coming back to get it.)

4. No, homosexuality is not a sin. If you want more proof, study the biblical language, learn it's culture and read the works of Philo, the jewish philosopher who lived around the time of Christ and admits that Leviticus was talking about wicked Shrine Priests and Priestesses. He also talks about how pedophilia was the kind of danger mentioned in Romans and Corinthians. He wasn't talking about homosexuality at all, just pedophilia.
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 6:00:26 PM
At 8/30/2014 12:23:21 PM, bulproof wrote:

That is certainly debatable, as many of those supposed 38k will refer to themselves as Christians, but actually contradict some of the most crucial aspects (That is, the matters of primary importance, meaning you can go to Hell for getting it wrong) of Christianity. However, I suppose that, for official purposes, there are roughly 38k self-pronounced Protestant denominations.