Jump to topic:

The purpose of evil

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:32:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
God gave us free-will to choose between good and evil, however one cannot exist without the other. Evil comes from knowing good (Romans 5), so where did evil originally come from? It came from man's desire to elevate himself to a higher position due to his carnality. Where did that come from? We don't know. In Hebrew, wickedness is simply rebellion against God's ways and twisting good. Yes we have free-will but why create a world where evil can exist? I use a commentary of the Talmud to illustrate my point:

"So said the Holy One, blessed be he, to Israel: 'My son I created the Yetzer Hara (evil inclination) and I created for it the Torah as an antidote. If you toil in Torah you will not be handed over into his hands...'"

For the Christian, the only way to overcome evil is through Jesus Christ. Overcoming evil is a challenge and a way for knowledge of God to grow. The world was never made perfect, but it was made so that it could be refined by those who are new creatures in Jesus Christ.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 11:55:27 AM
Allegedly your god gave free will, so that a choice could be made between a belief in your god or not.

Because according to the requirements of entering heaven, a knowledge of good and evil is not necessary.

Choosing to believing in your god is the only prerequisite.

Choosing good from evil is completely irrelevant.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Arasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 6:26:17 PM
At 8/30/2014 11:32:26 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
God gave us free-will to choose between good and evil, however one cannot exist without the other. Evil comes from knowing good (Romans 5), so where did evil originally come from? It came from man's desire to elevate himself to a higher position due to his carnality. Where did that come from? We don't know. In Hebrew, wickedness is simply rebellion against God's ways and twisting good. Yes we have free-will but why create a world where evil can exist? I use a commentary of the Talmud to illustrate my point:

"So said the Holy One, blessed be he, to Israel: 'My son I created the Yetzer Hara (evil inclination) and I created for it the Torah as an antidote. If you toil in Torah you will not be handed over into his hands...'"

For the Christian, the only way to overcome evil is through Jesus Christ. Overcoming evil is a challenge and a way for knowledge of God to grow. The world was never made perfect, but it was made so that it could be refined by those who are new creatures in Jesus Christ.

It is a very common question to ask "Why does evil exist?" and for good reason: There is suffering at the hands of others on a daily basis for some, weekly for others, hourly for the most gravely unfortunate. How is it that a God of love could create that which he himself was not?

Well, I'm going to answer a bit more than just your question...

When God created the universe, he had to decide what the parameters would be. Would it be a world of complete good, void of evil? Would the inhabitants have free will? Would it be a world of complete evil, void of good?

What God did was create three places: Heaven, the place of all good, Hell, the place of all evil, and our universe, which is the universe of the undecided. We have the free will to choose for ourselves what happens to our souls. We were given a rulebook, and told that if we obeyed the most simplest of commands: "Love the lord your God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength" and "Love your neighbor as yourself." If we follow those two simple rules to the best of our own abilities, then we will have chosen Heaven for ourselves. If we choose to live cruelly, causing suffering in others' lives, and rejecting God, then we will have chosen Hell for ourselves.

So, what is the purpose of evil? Well, the same purpose as Good: To get to your final destination.

August Rasa, a 4:53 mind