Jump to topic:

Praiser (Very Different Chritianity)

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 8:57:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
(I know this sounds like it should be in the music forum, but I figured this would be a good religious topic.)

So I had gotten into the Christian Punk Rock scene last year and discovered a german punk band from Hamburg that played Christian Punk music. From what my friend told me of the culture, Germans have never considered what we consider swear words (Such as the F word that many children would love to say because it sounds funny to them) to be. To them, the F word is the same as Hi or go away. And that got me thinking, can somebody be Christian without following the culture of other countries? It just makes me think because American Christians claim that their swear words are bad, but words like f*g mean cigarette in England and the F word doesn't have a vulgar reputation in Germany. What are your thoughts?

And here's their songs if you wanna listen. Track 1, 2 and 6 have the swear words in there in case you just wanna listen to that.

http://praiser.bandcamp.com...
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 9:05:59 AM
At 9/1/2014 8:57:48 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
(I know this sounds like it should be in the music forum, but I figured this would be a good religious topic.)

So I had gotten into the Christian Punk Rock scene last year and discovered a german punk band from Hamburg that played Christian Punk music. From what my friend told me of the culture, Germans have never considered what we consider swear words (Such as the F word that many children would love to say because it sounds funny to them) to be. To them, the F word is the same as Hi or go away. And that got me thinking, can somebody be Christian without following the culture of other countries? It just makes me think because American Christians claim that their swear words are bad, but words like f*g mean cigarette in England and the F word doesn't have a vulgar reputation in Germany. What are your thoughts?

And here's their songs if you wanna listen. Track 1, 2 and 6 have the swear words in there in case you just wanna listen to that.

I have generally been told its the feeling around the word that is the problem, as in one s attempting to be deliberately vulgar. Whatever this vulgarities are by culture, are to be avoided.

Schwinhund means nothing in the US - quite a bit different i Germany, and its not a word that is casually tossed about in business.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 9:20:39 AM

All words are made up by humans, but somehow particular words become to powerful for their creators and we must not utter them lest they control us!!

We give to much power to words.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 9:54:08 AM
At 9/1/2014 9:20:39 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

All words are made up by humans, but somehow particular words become to powerful for their creators and we must not utter them lest they control us!!

We give to much power to words.

Exactly. So if my bible tells me not to use vulgar language, I don't think it's cause of the word itself, I'm thinking it's meaning something else.